• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Didn't AOL used to send a lot of those in the mail?

Now they're art.

cd-art-2.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
And on that day…

Hyouka will still be unlicensed.

KyoAni will be dead after several years of disastrous sales for mobage adaptations and their IPs sold to another company who will license them out to gaijin distributors for cheaper.
and by that time Hyouka will be so old that no one will want to license it. In 2029 only Funimation still exists and only as a paid streaming service for One Piece and hentai.

cajunator

Banned
KyoAni will be dead after several years of disastrous sales for mobage adaptations and their IPs sold to another company who will license them out to gaijin distributors for cheaper.
and by that time Hyouka will be so old that no one will want to license it. In 2029 only Funimation still exists and only as a paid streaming service for One Piece and hentai.

KyoAni may get desperate and make K-On S3 to keep the lights on. I hope so!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Alongside scratched up, used Baccano BDs and Madoka in stock jewel cases.

I've never been in a Tuesday Morning, but the thought of anime in any form being in one is funny to me. I know Big Lots have weird towers of aftermarket dvds that will have anime singles slipped in sometimes.

I partly got into anime watching random volumes of G Gundam, Carried By the Wind, and Scrapped Princess that I fished out of a dollar bin at Big Lots. Of course, that's impossible these days with the death of 4-episode volumes.

Tuesday Morning at least sold video games at one time, which in one instance made someone very, very rich:

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't know how those savages survived back then.

On the contrary, we were much healthier and free of modern disease when we were hunter-gatherers who subsisted on a diet of mammoth steaks, wild berries, and Tenchi Muyo.

Branduil

I own three laserdisc players.

and only one laserdisc

I can still remember where the end of side 1 of Jurassic Park is.

Nothing says cinematic immersion like having to flip over a disc every 50 minutes to keep watching the movie. And the 12" discs were so user-friendly too, I don't understand how it didn't catch on.

CorvoSol

Those were CDs. Don't make me explain what a CD is.

Is that like a floppy from the future?

Now they're art.

Sounds like a Kotaku headline waiting to happen.

Those were frisbees you dingus.

Here I thought they were pizza cutters.

I doubt these children are up at 2AM waiting for the latest Love Lab episode.

I feel like that's how late I stayed up to see Endless Waltz the first time. Children today lack spirit and determination!

Are we talking about KyoAni or Square-Enix?

zeroshiki

You guys are too young. I remember trading/buying fansubbed tapes back in the day. I still have old tapes of Love Hina, Fushigi Yuugi and CCS back home. I also own the ADV Evangelion VHS tapes. All 13 of them (vol 3 is the dubbed version for some reason).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I can still remember where the end of side 1 of Jurassic Park is.

Nothing says cinematic immersion like having to flip over a disc every 50 minutes to keep watching the movie. And the 12" discs were so user-friendly too, I don't understand how it didn't catch on.

At least we got some good Pioneer-funded OVAs out of it.

zeroshiki

Too bad Matsuno is now involved in some kind of weird Kickstarter scam. I was kinda holding out hope for another Tactics Ogre type game from him :(

zeroshiki

Where is the meme that KyoAni is in some kind of dire straits coming from? Have you guys seen the Free! sales? KnK is also way above the Manabi line so they probably didn't lose money on it. Chuu2 is also gonna do, like, 10k a volume eventually.

AOL sounds like a bad name an anime would give to a foreigner or alien.

I mean if they can call somebody Kal El with a straight face then they have no shame.

suck it supes

Narag

If you can't appreciate Nils Nielsen, black American weeaboo child prodigy, running around spying on people while wearing a ninja suit, then I don't know how you can appreciate anything.

No doubt he sees a little of himself in Nils. Perhaps GBF is Ezalc's Watamote moment.

cajunator

Banned
You guys are too young. I remember trading/buying fansubbed tapes back in the day. I still have old tapes of Love Hina, Fushigi Yuugi and CCS back home. I also own the ADV Evangelion VHS tapes. All 13 of them (vol 3 is the dubbed version for some reason).

I remember seeing fansubbed Love hina back in 2000 at college. Anime was really quite exotic and exciting. Before that I had a few ova vhs tapes but that was the first tv series I saw in that format.

Where is the meme that KyoAni is in some kind of dire straits coming from? Have you guys seen the Free! sales? KnK is also way above the Manabi line so they probably didn't lose money on it. Chuu2 is also gonna do, like, 10k a volume eventually.

Its no meme, its a space station!

fertygo

One post up there is apt, KyoAni is dead by same sense Square-Enix is dead by swimming in dem mobile money and their fan tears.

CorvoSol

What's AOL?

I'm pretty sure it was an ancient Sumerian Death Cult.

If you can't appreciate Nils Nielsen, black American weeaboo child prodigy, running around spying on people while wearing a ninja suit, then I don't know how you can appreciate anything.

Truly there is nothing more representative of America than a boy named "Genius Samurai" piloting a Samurai themed Gundam wearing Samurai clothing.

Niels Nielsen is clearly more American than Chibodee Crockett could ever have been.

Articalys

Even the Japanese don't get the shows simulcast, guys. Having it delayed a day or two means you still have it better than some poor saps who live outside Tokyo who get it a week later if at all.
I mean, sure, we're not entitled to immediate simulcasts or anything, but including over the weekend, we've had three shows suddenly get extra delays on CR (Sakura Trick from Friday mornings to evenings, Chu2 from Wednesday mornings to Thursday evenings, and Seitokai Yakuindomo* from Saturdays to Tuesdays) for no given reason other than vague "delivery delays". CR is usually really good with keeping to their schedules, so if they really are having trouble with some part of the production process (be it encoding or subtitles or whatever) then I can sort of understand and sympathize, but things seemed to be going fine for those shows' simulcasts for the first couple weeks of the season so of course there's going to be some disappointment.

duckroll

Gatchaman Crowds - Episode 11-12 + DC12

I've been debating whether I even wanted to type out more detailed thoughts on this after finally finishing the series the other day. It's been so long I dunno if anyone cares anymore. I really enjoyed the conclusion though. I avoided the broadcast ending when I heard it was incomplete, and finally looking at the TV ending after finishing it makes me wonder how that even got to air. It's not a vague climax, it's just plain unfinished. Pretty embarrassing for NTV to even boardcast something like that for a big franchise like Gatchaman, instead of just delaying it so it can be finished, or giving it a longer broadcast slot for the end.

As for the completed ending itself, I really liked it. It's very true to the tone and message of the series itself, and Hajime's final solution to defeating Berg Katse is true to her character, consistent with what the show built up to, and satisfying for the entire series arc. The Tachikawa Crowds Game was also a fitting conclusion to the ongoing theme in the show with regards to social media and how it is both a positive and negative force for the world depending on how it is used.

The director's cut conclusion to the series also adds many slower scenes showing the aftermath of the incident, the state of the characters directly after the incident and also two years later, as well as scenes showing how they fixed the Neo Hundreds themselves after collecting them all.

With the ending completed, it definitely feels like a better series overall, but still far from perfect. I wish it weren't such an inconsistent production, and at least it's creative and unique. Hajime's definitely the best depiction of an autistic savant as a lead character I've seen in an anime. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom