• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I feel we need to see and bask in this .gif again.

ibb6uxWvMZeoXu.gif

I'm really looking forward to this brown dude's intro in Gintama.

Hattori

Banned
Witch Craft Works
This show is surprisingly entertaining (except for the typical useless male protag. and the uninspired character designs.) Awesome ED though :)

cajunator

Banned
I am always very subtle about my feelings about an anime for this exact reason.

Yup. Subuttle. That's me.

subtle as a punch in the head Corvy kun.

lol.

So I want to watch The Eccentric Family or Gundam Build Fighters next.

You choose gaf.

Eccentricities.

I wanted to watch Utena tonight. :(

Gaming side is too much. It's like a real life version of The Departed.

Gaming side is the bane of existence. That might be too pleasant of a term.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! has taught me that the Best Girl is the one who rejects the protagonist's romantic advances.

This is why Tessa will always remain firmly in 3rd.

Branduil

Flowers of Evil 12

What is with you kids and your fascination with my forbidden closet of mystery?

I've come up with a new fool-proof strategy for dealing with difficult situations:

1. What would Kasuga do?
2. Do the opposite.

Gazoinks

Flowers of Evil 12

What is with you kids and your fascination with my forbidden closet of mystery?

I've come up with a new fool-proof strategy for dealing with difficult situations:

1. What would Kasuga do?
2. Do the opposite.

Are you telling me that I shouldn't react to all situations by twitching and sweating profusely while occasionally squealing?

Corvo, I think the ep you're thinking of is 10.

Dresden

and lo, the prophet stepped forward to reveal these tenets:

#1: no girl who Wins the Show can truly be the Best Girl
#2: no girl who is by consensus the Best Girl can truly be the Best Girl
#3: no girl with Green Hair can truly be the Best Girl

#3: no girl with glasses can truly be the Best Girl

I'll go along with this.

CorvoSol

Are you telling me that I shouldn't react to all situations by twitching and sweating profusely while occasionally squealing?

Corvo, I think the ep you're thinking of is 10.

That must be it. I loved that episode.

This rules out all of the girls in Final Fantasy 6.

Persona 4 TAS 3

You know, if it wasn't for the wonky faces, this entire anime would be pretty kick ass.

The Wonderful 101

Feels like an audition to let PlatinumGames make a Star Fox game. I rather they don't at this point. Some arcs feel rather padded, no thanks to SHMUP segments, on top of oddly placed parts. Frankly, it should've axed a great majority of SHMUP segments. Perhaps Metal Gear Rising benefited more than I expected from being rushed.

Simple shapes seem best to utilize, because later shapes start to become rather similar to other Unite shapes, although there's still the attempt to make you utilize other weapons. Takes a bit long to grasp the concept of it, but once you do, you'll be hooked. Oddly enough, I wish there was more combat segments. It's like... I grasp the concept, but I don't feel like I was able to utilize a lot of it at once because it was gearing up for the end. Replays though, exist... although the large amount of SHMUP segments will be my undoing.

Enjoyed the sound track, I can also see elements of this game initially being considered a "Nintendo All Stars" game, and man, mastering the system actually made the game close to what I imagined in terms of capabilities. This... really is the longest character action game I sat though (23 hours+). Again, I think it would benefit from axing most SHMUP missions.

Now then. Anime that has things that you wish they had less of, GO!

Jarmel

Banned
So this is one of the major episodes in the series that I've been wanting to see. Time to get down to it:

Star Driver 8-rewatch

This is a fucking fantastic episode. It reminds me a lot of Gundam Build Fighter's 15th episode only with a shitload more anger. So damn good. These climax episodes are phenomenal.
So the episode starts with the finishing up of Sam the Squid Killer. There's a lot of hinting towards Head's backstory and his own regrets that become critical to the series down the road. There's some camera angles inside the cage that hint towards how
Head is caged in his own past and his regrets
. It's a cool trick as they use the perspective of the physically caged person to represent the emotionally caged one. The audience also starts to get a notion of Head being somewhat whimsical as well. The story itself is a tragic one that sets up the tone for the rest of the episode.
iEM9BPGBRcgAW.jpg

Ton of foreshadowing in this scene.
I think this is the only or at least one of the few times all the maidens are together. It's a good way of highlighting the differences in their personalities though and also showing some sort of bond between them.
The next scene up is Wako being shunned by Sugata. Taketo is still wondering whether he's really involved in this and whether he should bother but everyone around points out that he's stuck in that mess too and he agrees. It's part of his own internal shift that develops over the course of the series so far and it builds up to the fist fight later.
We then get the awesome scene on the cliffside. This is framed really well and the content Takuto and Sugata aim at each other is both really accurate and somewhat spiteful. They both accuse each other of holding back their real personality and feelings. Something I like about this is how the two haven't worn masks unlike the Glittering Crux brigade but they're still hiding who they are. There have been glimpses of their true selves earlier in the series, mainly with Takuto, but here it's laid out bare. Sugata doesn't give a shit about Takuto and he accuses Takuto of only pretending to care, which is somewhat correct. The setting at sunset really adds to the emotions of both. They're about to start a fist fight until Zero Time kicks in.
ib3rFu5Z02W6t.gif

Normally Zero Time is pretty flat weather wise other than Episode 4. This is the first time we see the mechs fight in the rain and the overlay is this sort of depressing atmosphere but the emotions of both parties is pretty hot. Then there is the mech fight. This feels like the climax of the past 8 episodes and while it's really gorgeous stuff, it's really the emotions that makes it so awesome. Both are flat out pissed at each and just going at it. However underneath that, the audience can still get a clear sense of the two becoming friends despite punching each other. It's a true case of friendship through fighting and despite the two still being mad at each other at the end, they've come to an understanding.
iCSyyNMKTENA0.gif

The scene at the end with them on the cliff is nothing but them panting but I really liked it for atmosphere purposes as it shows them alternate breathing and it's a good way of cooling down. The show is showing them going back to normal despite fighting each other, only now they have a deeper understanding of each other.
imZe8Dr1yNWTa.gif

Really great episode, a lot of emotions are laid bare. Better than I remembered and I remember loving this episode the first time I watched it.

Thoraxes

I beg to differ.

i9zr7GP.jpg

duckroll

Lancer and Rider look pretty dumb. But I guess that's faithful. Caster and Berserker are probably going to have some really great action scenes. Archer looks suprisingly decent.

Jarmel

Banned
Lancer and Rider look pretty dumb. But I guess that's faithful. Caster and Berserker are probably going to have some really great action scenes. Archer looks suprisingly decent.

The two I have issues with are Rider and Berserker. Rider just has her tits all over the place and her design looks too 'smooth'. Berserker's face just has this 'uh I don't know whats going on guys' look to it. Not angry enough.

duckroll

The two I have issues with are Rider and Berserker. Rider just has her tits all over the place and her design looks too 'smooth'. Berserker's face just has this 'uh I don't know whats going on guys' look to it. Not angry enough.

Maybe that's exactly how he feels in that instant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom