• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Also because I can, let's post this as well. Because Baccano!
lKDAsta.gif

See ya later Isaac Cowboy

This show was basically responsible for getting me back into anime. I might rewatch it sometime. So good.

About two weeks ago I asked of Neogaf for an anime recommendation the met only one condition, because of my frustration with Valverave:
[X] Main character isn't a whiny, mumbling wuss
I was suggested Stein's;Gate by a few, and recently finished it with my friend. Here comes my long winded write-up. apologies for the wall of black text---I haven't watched the OVA or movie, so it is all just about the anime.

Steins;Gate
Amazing show! Thank you for those who recommended, as I love the Hell out of it. There were definitely a few negatives to the show, but they were easily outweighed by the positives. Just to toss a few of my favorite/least favorite moments out there in no particular order:
1) I hated Mayuri dying over and over again. The concept has been done a billion times over, and it wasn't well-done in Steins;Gate. The second time we see her die, it's because someone trips and she gets pushed in front of a train. Really? We JUST saw Okabe holding her hand a split second before...but apparently he is too weak to stop her from getting a tiny bump, which catapulted her ass out in front of the train. You know what I would've liked to see? Go back, repeat that moment, and this time DON'T LET GO OF HER HAND! I know I'm being nit picky, but I needed to be sold a bit better that her death was inevitable.

2) I got absolute chills when the gang read Suzuha's note. "I failed. I failed. I failed. I failed". That moment was a complete 180 from the positive emotion of the rest of that episode. It was soul crushing, and by far one of my favorite episodes/moments in an anime.

3) I was pissed in the next-to-final episode when Okabe stabbed Kurisu. I told myself, "My god, now THAT is cliché" and I wanted to break something. For such a smart show to ruin it in the end. But then I remembered that from the show's point of view, just because we see Okabe stab her doesn't mean Okabe was the one who originally stabbed her. In fact, it couldn't have been---right? It was simply that she was "fated" to die, and because he was there the pieces simply fell in place for him to be the one to stab her on that occasion. But the stabbing that setup the show was still her father. Right?

4) I wish I liked Mayuri more. She was not a bad character by any means. In fact, she shared another favorite moment of mine when Okabe hugs her at the cemetery and "kidnaps" her. But something about her personality stopped me from completely investing myself in the headache Okabe was putting himself through to save her. I found myself much more interested in Kurisu's safety.

5) Why did it take Okabe so long to put the pieces together that Moeka was the one that took the IBN 5100? It seemed obvious before the message was sent what was about to happen, and immediately after I told myself, "The computer is gone". And yet Okabe didn't even notice THAT for what seemed like ages. Really? This genius didn't notice a freakin' big clunkin' computer missing from his floor?

6) And why did Okabe, who is a smart guy, keep letting people send D-Mails? He isn't a moron. He recognized how the world was changing with each one sent. How could he not understand the ramifications until it was too late? I kind of wanted to be sold on that a bit more.

In the end, this was a damn smart show. With damn great characters. And writing. And characters. I loved it. Thanks, Gaf.

if you want another anime that's awesome without a wussy main character, try Fate Zero.

As to Baccano, jesus christ that amazon price for the blu ray. I'll wait till it's on sale

edit: it's like half the price on funi's site. I'll buy that instead. If it comes with subs.

Gazoinks

if you want another anime that's awesome without a wussy main character, try Fate Zero.

As to Baccano, jesus christ that amazon price for the blu ray. I'll wait till it's on sale

edit: it's like half the price on funi's site. I'll buy that instead. If it comes with subs.

I think he already did watch F/Z actually.

I should try Baccano's subs sometime. It's just a show that feels better dubbed because of the setting, imo.

Gazoinks

Maybe the dub is decent. But you need to listen to Isaac and Myria in japanese. they're amazing.

NANDA MYRIAAAAAAAAAAAAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tqPHmlY7gk

edit: just saw a dub scene though. it's pretty decent

Yeah but they're also pretty great in the dub. :p Gotta have dem accents on the cast.

That was precisely my logic for watching it dubbed the first time around.

It's really the accents that make it for me. They did a really nice job on that.

Fuck it I caved. Might as well get Brack Ragoon on blu-ray as well, I have a 100 left from christmas and not using it for anything. Either ways the only anime I want to own on blu-ray are very few and include:

Baccano!

Cowboy Bebop remastered whenever it's out

Fate Zero- when I don't have to sell my soul to the devil and let him have his way for me so I can own one episode.

Black Lagoon complete

and Attack on Titan.

Anything else I can find on one of my subscription services or borrow from a friend. But these I have to own. I'm sure there's more I'd like to own, but these are the big ones. Samurai Champloo is HD on Netflix so no need to own that... for now.

Gazoinks

I actually feel like a somebody because people remember me! But yeah. I had a pretty negative reaction towards Fate/Zero. I was surprised myself. Yamato 2199 I haven't gotten to yet, and had a few recommend as well as Steins;Gate. It might be the next one I jump on.

Yamato is definitely awesome. We've been talking about Baccano so you should watch that. :p

Also the Flowers of Evil definitely doesn't have a wussy protagonist. At all. No way. Uh uh. Perish the thought.

EDIT: I keep looking back at the screencaps I took of SamFlam 17 and just start cracking up. That episode was amazing.

Definitely watch Baccano. I think it's on Netflix. And if not, find another way to watch it, it's amazing. Also I forgot that I also want Steins;Gate. That's another series I love. Too many amazing anime, not enough blu ray.

I haven't seen Madoka Magica, so I'll put that on my list. But I've had Baccano sitting around for a long, long time just waiting to be watched. Since it is only 16 episodes and others here are watching/have recently watched, I think I'll bump it to the front of my list and start it tomorrow.

I meant to ask earlier---What is the consensus on Steins;Gate OVA and movie? Worth my time at all?

Fuck it I caved. Might as well get Brack Ragoon on blu-ray as well, I have a 100 left from christmas and not using it for anything. Either ways the only anime I want to own on blu-ray are very few and include
They need to hurry and get Gurren Lagann out on bluray over here.

Gazoinks

I haven't seen Madoka Magica, so I'll put that on my list. But I've had Baccano sitting around for a long, long time just waiting to be watched. Since it is only 16 episodes and others here are watching/have recently watched, I think I'll bump it to the front of my list and start it tomorrow.

I meant to ask earlier---What is the consensus on Steins;Gate OVA and movie? Worth my time at all?

The OVA's worth watching. It doesn't really add to the plot, but it's a sort of "cool down" episode showing the characters interacting in a more lighthearted way once the drama is over. Haven't seen the movie, but receptions seem mixed but mostly positive.

They need to hurry and get Gurren Lagann out on bluray over here.

Consensus on the OVA is that it's a nice closer. Also it's the official ending to the series, with the movie taking place after. As to the movie, I've heard nothing but positive things. The most negative thing I've heard is that it feels a bit unneeded, but that even so they did it spectacularly. I'm gonna watch the movie soon enough I believe, whenever my friend lets me borrow it.

And dealing with Gurren Lagann, I don't know if I could own that on blu ray. I love the series, but if I were to own anime it'd have to be somewhat serious in its tone/presentation. Gurren Lagann is great and actually gets pretty serious, but the amount of boobs in it was something my friends who watched it with me had to ease into.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Baccano starts with hardcore Norio Wakamoto. Besides, saying Japanese can't do depression era America is like saying Sean Connery can't do a Russian naval captain!

Thoraxes

Consensus on the OVA is that it's a nice closer. Also it's the official ending to the series, with the movie taking place after. As to the movie, I've heard nothing but positive things. The most negative thing I've heard is that it feels a bit unneeded, but that even so they did it spectacularly. I'm gonna watch the movie soon enough I believe, whenever my friend lets me borrow it.

And dealing with Gurren Lagann, I don't know if I could own that on blu ray. I love the series, but if I were to own anime it'd have to be somewhat serious in its tone/presentation. Gurren Lagann is great and actually gets pretty serious, but the amount of boobs in it was something my friends who watched it with me had to ease into.

Do it.

DOOOOO IIIITTTTTT

It's fucking worth it. So fucking worth it.
I've rewatched it like 8 times already. 6 times in groups and 2 times by myself since I bought the BDs.

CorvoSol

I enjoyed it, but I have to admit it's pretty stupid. It's definitely more than a little "ORANGES ARE TOMATOES!"

See, I don't think I have a problem when it comes to stupid in some shows. Especially in Mecha shows. ESPECIALLY when those shows are okay with the fact that they're stupid. Like Gundam Build Fighters does all kinds of stupid stuff, but it knows it is, and it's incredibly refreshing to have a Gundam that isn't uptight and super serious. Star Driver so far seems to embrace how dumb the idea of a Galactic Pretty Boy is and it just rolls with it.

I think Mecha CAN get serious, but I don't think every episode of it needs to be some dry treatise on the nature of man and warfare. As a poli sci student I have to read about that too often anyway.

Higurashi 16

Things are starting to get interesting again. However, I am starting to get a bit tired of Satoko (I realize this might make me sound like a horrible person, but this is fiction, so whatever).

Boy if you think not liking Satoko makes you a horrible person, has this show got an arc for you!

Westlo

Aquarion's pretty damn stupid.... and entertaining. Also gotta give props to that twist from EVOL that shat on a certain aspect from the first series, was hilarious, woof.

Gintama 106

JESUS CHRISTO

The things I would do for an Amarao dance gif...

And I still enjoy how Katsura manages to mingle with at least one Shinsengumi wearing such a simple disguise.

That being said
when you think about balls, the worst thing happens. That bait and switch man. SHAME HE LOST THOUGH BECAUSE OF HIS "LITTLE BOY"! We had one last spectacular play!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Dog Soldier

Shuutarou Mendou fights to save the world from waves of STD carrying biotroopers. Amusing for the concept alone and for the general incompetence of the main players, but that's about it. Borderline List material.

Narag

Dog Soldier

Shuutarou Mendou fights to save the world from waves of STD carrying biotroopers. Amusing for the concept alone and for the general incompetence of the main players, but that's about it. Borderline List material.

AIDS ain't gonna cure itself.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Samurai Flamenco Episode 12:

Baten down the hatches I need to rant. Indeed, I am remembering very vividly why I dropped this show in the first place.
Fuck the character of Mari Maya, I have never liked the shallow bitch but this episode really puts into prescriptive how awful a person she really is. So I was hoping that some kind of redemption for her character was going to happen after the horrific things that King Torture had done to her. He also inflicted one of the best "the reason you suck speeches" I have seen in recent memory. You know shit is fucked up when the embodiment of evil looks at you with utter disgust at how rotten you are.I could tolerate the self-absorbtion, I could tolerate the adrenaline junkie tendencies. The rampant sadism was questionable. There is a lot here I don't like but the worst of it is her obsession over Goto and her treatment of Moe. Her attraction to Goto has been over nothing more deep then how good he looks in a uniform. Okay, as an initial source of attraction, that is fine, but it really isn't the basis for a real relationship. The part that really pisses me off is Goto flat out with no ambiguity turned down her advances, alleged grilfriend aside, he is not interested. Does she back off, does she accept this? No, she continues chasing a quixotic dream and that returned full bore in this episode as she is in hiding and imposing on Goto and acting like her old self. There are no enough words to express the wrongness of this situation. Still, the grand crowing actions of disgust is how she is treating Moe. I will not lie Moe has become one of my favorite characters in this show. Moe choosing to allow Torture King to do whatever he pleased to her body so that she could free Mari, she was willing to sacrifice everything for the one she loved and she would not run, not until she was safe, she would not leave her side. It was an act of heroism so pure that the Torture King just let her go, but not before throwing such an act into the face of Mari and calling her out for her fucking cowardice and her using of other people. Indeed Mari has been pretty much stringing Moe along, showing some hints of affection, but never really reciprocating. Moe also knows of Mari's attraction which is why she has given him the green eye even though he is actually blameless in this. So to sum up here we have a girl who is chasing after a man who is not interested and is in a relationship, possibly with a phone but that is not here nor there, and is not dealing with the woman who loves her more then anything. God damn but my hatred is burning brightly, maybe not enough to find joy in her physical torment, but damn if I am not savoring when all of her personality flaws were turned against her and she had no retort, no comeback because she knew it was the truth.

Not sure if it's known here as I discovered it as I was working on my list, but Paprika is currently free for streaming on Amazon Prime. So get to it if you own it and haven't seen this great film.

Baten down the hatches I need to rant. Indeed, I am remembering very vividly why I dropped this show in the first place.
Fuck the character of Mari Maya, I have never liked the shallow bitch but this episode really puts into prescriptive how awful a person she really is. So I was hoping that some kind of redemption for her character was going to happen after the horrific things that King Torture had done to her. He also inflicted one of the best "the reason you suck speeches" I have seen in recent memory. You know shit is fucked up when the embodiment of evil looks at you with utter disgust at how rotten you are.I could tolerate the self-absorbtion, I could tolerate the adrenaline junkie tendencies. The rampant sadism was questionable. There is a lot here I don't like but the worst of it is her obsession over Goto and her treatment of Moe. Her attraction to Goto has been over nothing more deep then how good he looks in a uniform. Okay, as an initial source of attraction, that is fine, but it really isn't the basis for a real relationship. The part that really pisses me off is Goto flat out with no ambiguity turned down her advances, alleged grilfriend aside, he is not interested. Does she back off, does she accept this? No, she continues chasing a quixotic dream and that returned full bore in this episode as she is in hiding and imposing on Goto and acting like her old self. There are no enough words to express the wrongness of this situation. Still, the grand crowing actions of disgust is how she is treating Moe. I will not lie Moe has become one of my favorite characters in this show. Moe choosing to allow Torture King to do whatever he pleased to her body so that she could free Mari, she was willing to sacrifice everything for the one she loved and she would not run, not until she was safe, she would not leave her side. It was an act of heroism so pure that the Torture King just let her go, but not before throwing such an act into the face of Mari and calling her out for her fucking cowardice and her using of other people. Indeed Mari has been pretty much stringing Moe along, showing some hints of affection, but never really reciprocating. Moe also knows of Mari's attraction which is why she has given him the green eye even though he is actually blameless in this. So to sum up here we have a girl who is chasing after a man who is not interested and is in a relationship, possibly with a phone but that is not here nor there, and is not dealing with the woman who loves her more then anything. God damn but my hatred is burning brightly, maybe not enough to find joy in her physical torment, but damn if I am not savoring when all of her personality flaws were turned against her and she had no retort, no comeback because she knew it was the truth.

NICE JUSTICE

I read the first sentence in your review and stopped for a bit.

Because I realized that like with Gazoinks, you're one of my Samumenco bros. I hate her too.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi - Episodes 21-30

Motto is definately picking up the pace now! Episodes 25 and 26 were simply amazing!

Episode 25 had Doremi try to figure out why everyone was avoiding her all of the sudden of course it was just
so they could set up her Birthday Party at the Maho-dou although I would've thought that Doremi would've remember her own birthday

Episode 26 was another Aiko episode so more emotional stuff was at play here.
I honestly thought that they would get back together this time. Luckily she managed to get Aiko's cookies.

My personal favourite of the bunch was Episode 28 however, which followed a day in Hana's Kindergarten, it was a more comedic episode with Hana doing wacky antics with her powers. It also had Oyajide in it, that's always makes it the best!

phaze

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
I know its an old movie but don't want to spoil the ride for anyone who might not have seen it yet.
Obligatory:
ma099.png

I suppose that scene is a way of telling or rather warning the viewer he's in for quite a ride.

-But seriously Jesus Christ Shinji What the FUCK ?! I knew he had problems but didn't think it was of that kind too. Seriously you're like 14 or something, keep it in your fucking pants.

-So humanity is the xth Angel ? Wut ?

-I thought that the TV series was a bit disappointing with its mecha action but Asuka going ham was beautifully animated and just very satisfying to watch.

-Wait, if Seele had those EVA's all along why didn't they use them earlier when they were in a pinch ?

-Damn Shinji was useless throughout the movie.

-The whole second half of the movie may very well be the trippiest shit I've ever witnessed. At some point of that audio-visual rollercaster with all those flashing images I genuinely thought I'm going to puke. Managed to hold it in thankfully.

-Gendo went out like a bitch. Not sure what was the difference between his plan and Seele's. At the end both seemed satisfied with the results.

-Dead Sea Scrolls still not explained. Grrrrrrrr

The last sequence threw me out of a loop. Did Asuka sprouted an eyepatch ? And just when I thought that our likable and totally understandable protagonist finally resolved his issues, he decides to strangle the former.

Way to go Shinji-kun, way to go.

I will have to watch the movie again because I still barely have a clue about the whole Adam, Lilith, Angels business.

NeonZ

-Wait, if Seele had those EVA's all along why didn't they use them earlier when they were in a pinch ?

They didn't have them all along. They're completed and mentioned once near the last episodes of the tv show. Although I can't remember if that was just in the Director's Cut version of the episodes of if it was in the originals too.

wonzo

Banned
Noragami 6

noragami6.jpg

Still the best BONES series of the season. I really want a Kofuku series tho.

Robot Girls Z 1-2

robotgirlsz1.jpg

……… How is this even a thing? I mean, it's pretty amazing but

what?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom