• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gintama 116

Well, I guess this is the real reason why Japan is filled with older people. As expected of Gintama to come up with such an answer!

Kyuubey is some form of moe

jman2050

Good question. I guess I could just write a typical one full of subtle insults to the audience that they would never notice.

You could argue Nisekoi already does this!

Although it's less "subtle insults" and more "I can't believe you guys let me get away with this shit, smell ya later *rolls in money*"

Really the only thing stopping me is the language barrier.

We have duckroll and cnet (maybe zeroshiki? I don't remember if it was him...), you could always ask for rigorous lessons.

Read or Die OVA - 1
UFVTOim.jpg

This episode was pretty great! A likable cast of characters with super powers joining together to stop opposing group of villains with super powers from collecting books ... or at least that seems to be the story so far. The main character, "The Paper", is your typical contrast between a disarming aloofness to the world around her combined with what are extremely potent skills that make her a capable agent. I'm immediately reminded of Kara no Kyoukai's Mirai minus the creators pushing the moe-factor of the character down our throats the entire time. The action scenes are extremely satisfying as you see the creators just sort of went wild with finding out how many hilariously unrealistic ways you could make paper behave in a fight and the score during such scenes transitions to a James Bond style sound that compliments the action in all the right ways. Looking forward to checking out the rest of the series.

Read or Die is something I can only describe as lovely. I'm not sure if I should admit I liked the OVA more than the series but the OVA was something I experienced early in my watching of anime and thought it was great. Stunning animation and the the ability to manipulate paper in the way of which Yomiko does is nothing short of creative.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi - Episodes 41-50 [END]

THEY DID IT!!!! THEY'RE FINALLY WITCHES FOR REAL NOW. NO CATCHES, NO NOTHING! WOOOOOOOOO!

Now that's out of the way, let me just say that Episode 45 is far and away the best episode of the entire series. Why?
It's because Nagato finally made it into the classroom.
I was a bit tearful watching as
she finally made it through the classroom door. It just shows that with friends that support you, you can overcome pretty much anything

The ending was great, although I would put Sharp's one ahead by a margin, mostly due to the fact that it had been building up to it far more while Motto was more like the first series with helping out classmates.
Tourbillion is quite a sad character after going through the death of her family due to old age and the fact that she as a witch ages dramatically slower than regular humans. Due to that she wanted to make no witch suffer the same fate which I feel is a justifiable reason as to why the Witch World and Human World are split up. Although she turned evil due to the immense sadness and anger that she had accumulated over the years.
Eventually love and dessert win it all and the Cursed Forest is returned to normal. Tourbillion is still asleep so the Frog Curse is still active, meaning new series starting next week, so everyone, please be excited!

Oh and as for the film coming up again
Doremi's Grandfather
was mentioned very briefly in one episode and that was about it really, nothing more than a little mention.

On to Na-i-sho to have a few sidestories before the final series.

I hate them for putting an episode preview for Dokka~n! at the end of the credits for this.

Noragami 7

Continues to be one of the better shows this season. But funny how I can't have an episode where I like all three main characters. Now I can't fucking stand Yukine's whiny ass, he needs to get his shit together, nobody does that to my Yato-kun. Everybody loves a hobo with a heart of gold, nobody loves a whiny little brat.

Nora continues to be there, all nora like. Also
anime original character just appeared, seems like he's going to use Nora

Noragami 7

The sax track when Kazuma was having his conversation with Bishamon on the rooftop was sick. In general, I liked the use of music in this episode even more than usual. It added a great deal to the tension in the convenience store scene and the scenes with Nora. Speaking of Nora, I really liked the way she was portrayed visually, such as her unearthly glow contrasted against the brooding Yato:

and the successive zoom-ins on her beckoning hand in the fight scene, framed by passing car transitions which I find so effective. They did a good job of making her feel eerie and otherworldly, a dangerous siren of corruption. The pace of the episode was measured, filled with significant pauses which allowed plenty of time to breathe and reflect, or to stretch out tension and uneasiness, as the case demanded. There was still time for a bit of humor here and there, but overall it was the most somber episode yet, and it worked.

Also, Bishamon's hair is rather sensuous.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi - Episodes 41-50 [END]

THEY DID IT!!!! THEY'RE FINALLY WITCHES FOR REAL NOW. NO CATCHES, NO NOTHING! WOOOOOOOOO!

Now that's out of the way, let me just say that Episode 45 is far and away the best episode of the entire series. Why?
It's because Nagato finally made it into the classroom.
I was a bit tearful watching as
she finally made it through the classroom door. It just shows that with friends that support you, you can overcome pretty much anything

The ending was great, although I would put Sharp's one ahead by a margin, mostly due to the fact that it had been building up to it far more while Motto was more like the first series with helping out classmates.
Tourbillion is quite a sad character after going through the death of her family due to old age and the fact that she as a witch ages dramatically slower than regular humans. Due to that she wanted to make no witch suffer the same fate which I feel is a justifiable reason as to why the Witch World and Human World are split up. Although she turned evil due to the immense sadness and anger that she had accumulated over the years.
Eventually love and dessert win it all and the Cursed Forest is returned to normal. Tourbillion is still asleep so the Frog Curse is still active, meaning new series starting next week, so everyone, please be excited!

Oh and as for the film coming up again
Doremi's Grandfather
was mentioned very briefly in one episode and that was about it really, nothing more than a little mention.

On to Na-i-sho to have a few sidestories before the final series.

I hate them for putting an episode preview for Dokka~n! at the end of the credits for this.

The movie is actually more important for Dokkaan than it is for Motto.

Also, I did enjoy that episode as well.

GaoGaiGar - 29

Pizza turned out to be a real bro in the end.

Okay there's a chance that Volfogg is still alive. Good. He was my favorite out of all the side robots.

All right, the admins are down, and the big boss is finally showing itself. Can't wait to see how he fights. All right, let's do this! It's final battle time!

Gintama 118

Well that was a bit of a surprise at the end.

And Old people getting the credit they deserve. Strangely, Katsura isn't very different when he's old, because of how out of touch he is when he was his normal age.

I want to write a VN where you're a girl. And everybody else is a senpai. And whenever you try and talk to them their only response is [doesn't notice you]

It'd be quite fun though. The player would eventually go into alcoholism due to the depression. The last chapter she'll be in her deathbed and all the senpais come to be by your side. As your eyes are about to shut down you notice they're all noticing you. For the first time.

senpais. you really do notice me? I'm so glad... I'm...s..soo...g....

Then the heartbeat goes BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP and you lull yourself into a sleep.

In the true ending, it is revealed that you had a moth sitting on your forehead that was super disgusting. And the senpais weren't looking at you, they came into the room to look at it.

Quasar

But does the audience want a better romcom story?

Well that's probably true of every genre, and no just in anime. For a good portion they are happy with the kind of material they get, otherwise they genre would die from total abandonment by the audience.

Midonin

If anyone wants to write a VN I'm sure we have a few people here willing to learn how to use Ren'Py.
I've played enough VNs in the story and not-so-story categories that I'm familiar with their story structure. Though except for 11eyes, none of them have ever been adapted into an anime.

Gintama 119

Oh hay, an anti smoking episode! Except they succeeded in the most absurd way possible
by pretty much becoming Dragon Ball Z

I've played enough VNs in the story and not-so-story categories that I'm familiar with their story structure. Though except for 11eyes, none of them have ever been adapted into an anime.

If you enjoyed the anime, you should pre-order the Steins;Gate VN that JastUSA/J-List is selling this March. They should still have the limited edition available, or you can order a copy at Right Stuf as they appear to have a few copies still available for reserve. Otherwise the download edition is available in March also, or wait until April for the newly announced standard edition release.

Nafe

Mushishi Tokubetsu-hen: Hihamukage (Special/OVA Episode)

I asked about the show and was recommended to take a look at the OVA as a possible introduction into the series. I had some time so I decided to give it a watch and I ended up liking it. This Special/OVA episode had some nice background art throughout and did a good job at portraying the different tones or moods.

I liked the writing and really liked the idea of all the parallels that were used throughout the episode. The sisters and the one sister to the mushi being examples and, even though it was more bluntly stated by Ginko himself, the idea of the one sister getting sick from the sun directly but also still needing it to live in an indirect sense. Other themes as well such as the theme of loss and taking certain things for granted and the extended parallels there. At about the length of two episodes in one I think it did a pretty good job at, for me anyway, making one care for or empathize with the characters and their particular issues. Haha, I felt bad for the professor/doctor fellow with the monocle and his not seeing things and the main character Ginko wanting to move on so he didn't really get to hear his story.

I kind of wanted to be more eloquent in my comments here but basically I thought this special was well done on the whole and I'm interested enough that I think I'd like to watch the show when it airs it's second part in spring. Sometime then I'll get around to the first part.

One question in that it seemed like the girl looking through the records and sending Ginko letters along with the monocle person are more main/recurring characters as well. Is that correct? They'll probably show up in the second part airing in spring?

Jex

Am I weird if I listen to anime songs on my way to classes in my headphones? Like the Attack on Titan OST's, Cowboy Bebop, and Un-GO's ED?

Moreover, you shouldn't really feel concerned about your own musical choices that literally only effect yourself. Like, it's just your own preference, so why does it matter?
One question in that it seemed like the girl looking through the records and sending Ginko letters along with the monocle person are more main/recurring characters as well. Is that correct? They'll probably show up in the second part airing in spring?
Yes they are recurring but that doesn't guarantee that they will re-appear (although it is likely). For the most part Mushishi stories focus on the one-off characters that have a one-off story even if some familiar faces are used to frame the action so their presence isn't felt particularly strongly even when they do appear.

GaoGaiGar - 30

YEEEEESSSSSS.

DAT FIGHT.

DAT YELLING.

DAT REVENGE BEATDOWN.

I kinda saw them coming back to life at the end though, but that didn't make it any less awesome when they did (hell even I felt a little bit down seeing Mamoru all sad like that :(, but then a miracle happened and everything's all happy!), especially when the opening played there.

Man, It's hard to believe that there's like 19 episodes of this show left. I think now I've reached the REAL halfway point of this show, and judging from Corvo's list this is when the next enemies are gonna show up. All right. Time for me to see what else this show has in store!

Shergal

So Anipages didn't like episode 5 of Dandy, and it seemed like episode 6 was his favourite. Going against the current?
I can't say he is wrong about the points he makes in ep 5, but I think it's still a very solid ep when you take into account personal taste and how much people will be bothered by/enjoy certain storytelling/direction choices.

Ep 7 might actually be my favourite yet. It feels like the most focused episode, and since it doesn't really deal in that much direct comedy opting instead for a more goofy-actiony entry it doesn't suffer from the same weaknesses other episodes did, much like ep 5. But racing and mech animation > loli montages.

Moreover, you shouldn't really feel concerned about your own musical choices that literally only effect yourself. Like, it's just your own preference, so why does it matter?

I'm not concerned. My closest friends already know I've turned into an otaku of sorts, since I watch daily anime vs regular western tv (though I do watch some shows I care about like Sons of Anarchy, Justified, Archer, Community, etc...).

It's more of the social stigma, but I guess this'd be the same as somebody listening to video game OST's on the way to class. My self-esteem isn't low that if somebody seems me I'll get embarassed, I just don't want to lose the image I have in general with other people besides my closest friends.

Gintama 120

Yes, Katsura, don't blow things up, love & PEACE! *get Momoko in here*

Although everyone sucking at making sushi except Tama isn't surprising
I'm not sure if I would eat her sushi though.

Nafe

Yes they are recurring but that doesn't guarantee that they will re-appear (although it is likely). For the most part Mushishi stories focus on the one-off characters that have a one-off story even if some familiar faces are used to frame the action so their presence isn't felt particularly strongly even when they do appear.

Ah, okay.
Thanks for the reply.

Am I weird if I listen to anime songs on my way to classes in my headphones? Like the Attack on Titan OST's, Cowboy Bebop, and Un-GO's ED?

No, listen to what you enjoy while going to class. I own over 50 hours worth of anime OSTs so I listen to them whenever I get a chance, though I do not own a MP3 device for music on the go. :(

BluWacky

It's more of the social stigma, but I guess this'd be the same as somebody listening to video game OST's on the way to class. My self-esteem isn't low that if somebody seems me I'll get embarassed, I just don't want to lose the image I have in general with other people besides my closest friends.

How would anyone know what you're listening to? The whole point of headphones is to stop broadcasting music round to other people so you can listen to it privately. I've been listening to weird-ass music - anime or otherwise - for years without any comment from anyone, especially when I was at university.

How would anyone know what you're listening to? The whole point of headphones is to stop broadcasting music round to other people so you can listen to it privately. I've been listening to weird-ass music - anime or otherwise - for years without any comment from anyone, especially when I was at university.

With music it's not a big deal as it was when somebody from the 'cool group' I hang with sometimes caught me playing Bravely Default on campus when he randomly sat next to me in a far away bench without me noticing.

"What's that? It's that Pokemon?"

"Uhhh.. noo... it's this rpg I play when I'm... bored?"

If when I'm bored means every waking hour I don't have to do shit lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom