• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Chuunibyou 12

Pretty good ending, if not a little predictable. You've also kinda gotta separate yourself from reality a little bit in order to not roll your eyes at the whole
cops chasing down Yuuta and Rikka
thing, since
obviously nothing good would happen after that, unless maybe Rikka's grandmother convinced her grandfather to not press charges or something
? But yeah, bit of a formulaic romcom ending
(Bunch of friends helping the couple run away together? Where have I seen that before? Not to mention the whole "girl leaves because of family problems, only to be re-united with the MC by the end of the show" thing)
, but still really good in spite of that.

I really liked the message at the end, as well.

Narag

Bold prediction:

Space Dandy and Kill-la-kill will take the #1 and #2 spots in the AOTY 2014 poll, respectively.

We'll see if I'm right in ~11 months.

Will be shocked if top 2 but can see top 5 especially if the second cour of Dandy is strong and KLK keeps up the nonsense to win people back.

Urusei Yatsura - 34

rR9klRZ.jpg

This little youkai was great. Better than that Kappa episode in Gintama. Very nice episode.

JCG

Space Dandy - 7

Man, that was pretty funny and rather energetic. Even the whole ending sequence was just WTF in the right way.

Definitely very silly, to say least, but that's expected when you're combining the likes of Redline and Wacky Races.

Having quite a few moments of nice mechanical animation during the actual race didn't hurt either.

I also liked how there's a bunch of Taniguchi quirks in it too (aside from one obvious Code Geass reference).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It took a while for me too to start enjoying this show, but it does find a nice groove for itself in the 20's. I didn't like Jariten at first either but he's a solid addition to the cast, at least there's no cast ruining character in Urusei Yatsura compared to Ranma 1/2 after Happosei showed up.
i still like Ranma 1/2 better though
Asuka is really dumb and drags the show down, but she shows up late and is confined to just a few eps.

Pretty much every other cast member is great, though. Shame you have to wait until ep 50 to meet Ryouko.

Kyuur

Space Dandy 7

Definitely the worst episode so far. Pretty boring other than the love bit and the craziness towards the end. And the annoying 'commercial breaks'. The only episode so far I really haven't enjoyed.

JCG

Space Dandy 7

Definitely the worst episode so far. Pretty boring other than the love bit and the craziness towards the end. And the annoying 'commercial breaks'. The only episode so far I really haven't enjoyed.

Can't really agree, but Space Dandy changes so much from week to week that you can have reactions just like yours as well as the exact opposite co-existing without too much trouble. I'd say that so far I'd put either episode one or six in my "least liked" category. They're still nice enough, but I prefer the rest.

Narag

Can't really agree, but Space Dandy changes so much from week to week that you can have reactions just like yours as well as the exact opposite co-existing without too much trouble. I'd say that so far I'd put either episode one or six in my "least liked" category. They're still nice enough, but I prefer the rest.

Still hoping we get a voting thread for individual eps when it's all said and done. Think it'd be interesting to see which the majority preferred given how divisive it is.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Chuunibyou 13 (OVA)

What a weird reset. :lol
Everything's back to how it was prior to episode 11! Explanation? Nah!
Of course I guess that was kinda to be expected.
Drunk Rikka and Dekomori were hilarious, as was Dekomori and Nibutani's "kiss"
. :lol Good stuff, though I'd be a little disappointed in the
Rikka/Yuuta kiss tease
if I didn't know there was a second season.

Speaking of that, on to the second season!

Tanken Driland 14

King Monster's are always quite exciting in their fights, but the other human stuff was compelling
Didnt think theyd lose the flame stone so easily. Mikoto sama needs to awaken faster so as to prevent this from happening again

New ED makes me miss Dragonboy a whole lot.

Dresden

This is how the anime of the year voting will go:

1. Mushishi
2. Watanabe's serious show
3. Ping Pong

Movie:

1. Princess Kaguya

It's all scripted, you dudes may as well not vote.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is how the anime of the year voting will go:

1. Mushishi
2. Watanabe's serious show
3. Ping Pong

Movie:

1. Princess Kaguya

It's all scripted, you dudes may as well not vote.

Fuck this linear cinematic piece of shit.

cajunator

Banned
A childhood friend who's also a tsundere alien who has amnesia with some ghost trying to flub the main relationship.

Voiced by Kugyuu.

hasnt this been done? Feels like this has.

Burn Up Excess Episode 1:

Well, I am in the mood for something less then highbrow intellectual and this certainly fit the bill and then some. Truly an utterly brainless anime and it seems to be damn proud of it, yet I find myself rather enjoying it, well, for the most part, I get the feeling I am going to want Rio to be thrown into a lake sooner rather then later. There is a certain ineffable quality here that is making sort of fun to watch, maybe it is because it is a relic of a bygone era, I am unsure at this point.

Watch Burn Up W.

Gintama 126

That beginning segment...

.......Well... that was rather.... something...

We have another Shinpachi raging at his fan club for breaking a rule, only for him to be a hypocrite... and it's an arc no less. Might as well get him a waifu or something.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Chuunibyou Ren 1

I laughed out loud no more than 10 seconds in, at the
way they quickly wrote out virtually all of Yuuta and Rikka's family members
, and again near the end when
Toka was suddenly okay with Yuuta and Rikka living together just as long as Yuuta's younger sister was there (?!)
. I mean seriously, what the hell. :lol Also,
black-haired Nibutani
is all sorts of wrong.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Urusei Yatsura - 365

The best part about Ran, is her stories about her childhood with Lum...and her mother.
Ran really develops as the show goes on. I know I said that you should expect characters to be what they are, but there are exceptions and it's usually weak characters becoming better.

Urusei Yatsura - 36

SMY02RU.jpg

This time it's really 36. =p
Hahaha, "Is the lotus root good?" "Yeah!" "Is the octopus good?" "Yeah!" "Is the udo salad good?" "Yeah!".
This is the kind of thing I expect from Rumiko.

zeroshiki

Wind Rises will win in the movie category. Everyone casual will have seen it and vote for it if they see the thread. (/cosmicblizzardlikeconfidence)

Narag

IIRC no eyecatches for any episode have been on the dubs. At least there were none in ep 7 (which was really noticeable when I went to watch the sub).

I assumed they left them in given they were just an extra bit of fun. Disappointing in that respect.

CorvoSol

Maybe Unicorn finishes this year and gets swept up in a wave of positive impressions *chortle* ala Yamato and wins.

I'll eat my hat if Gundam Unicorn somehow places first. I mean, it's gonna be good, but I don't know that it's that good.
Build Fighters Build Fighters Build Fighters Build Fighters

Andrew J.

Will be shocked if top 2 but can see top 5 especially if the second cour of Dandy is strong and KLK keeps up the nonsense to win people back.

Well, the part about Space Dandy being #1 isn't bold, it's a no-brainer. Every dub-only watcher and casual Toonami viewer on GAF will have literally nothing else to vote for.

As for KLK, remember it made #2 this year, and that's before it was as awesome as it is now. It's got a good shot unless the final episodes shit the bed and/or something unexpectedly good appears in the second half of the year.

Branduil

The reactions to Space Dandy are pretty amusing. Every episode is either the best or worst so far. It's rare to see such a consistently divisive show.

cajunator

Banned
Read or Die OVA - 1

This episode was pretty great! A likable cast of characters with super powers joining together to stop opposing group of villains with super powers from collecting books ... or at least that seems to be the story so far. The main character, "The Paper", is your typical contrast between a disarming aloofness to the world around her combined with what are extremely potent skills that make her a capable agent. I'm immediately reminded of Kara no Kyoukai's Mirai minus the creators pushing the moe-factor of the character down our throats the entire time. The action scenes are extremely satisfying as you see the creators just sort of went wild with finding out how many hilariously unrealistic ways you could make paper behave in a fight and the score during such scenes transitions to a James Bond style sound that compliments the action in all the right ways. Looking forward to checking out the rest of the series.

ROD is one of my favorites. Such a neat idea for a show. The dub was really good. Yomiko's voice actress was cuuuuuuuuuuuute.
the tv series actually ties heavily into the ova but doesnt seem so at first. Michelle is a goddess. Some changes were made from the ova characters I didnt like but it was still highly enjoyable.

I want to write a VN where you're a girl. And everybody else is a senpai. And whenever you try and talk to them their only response is [doesn't notice you]

It'd be quite fun though. The player would eventually go into alcoholism due to the depression. The last chapter she'll be in her deathbed and all the senpais come to be by your side. As your eyes are about to shut down you notice they're all noticing you. For the first time.

senpais. you really do notice me? I'm so glad... I'm...s..soo...g....

Then the heartbeat goes BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP and you lull yourself into a sleep.

In the true ending, it is revealed that you had a moth sitting on your forehead that was super disgusting. And the senpais weren't looking at you, they came into the room to look at it.

:keyending
Yup. Sounds about right!

Midonin

Soul Eater 30-34

With Not! debuting in the Spring and me never actually completing the show, this is a good time to do exactly that. My memory's pretty good, so I remember what happened up to this point, and a lot of the aspects that drew me in are still present even as things begin to change. The stylized world with its Halloweentown like design, this show's particular sense of humor and the nicely animated fights.

The best episode was the one in the middle, because it's an Excalibur episode. His legend began in the 12th century, and he is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom