• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eps 19x

I'm in minority though, everyone favorite waifu is on 14x

.Uh... huh.

Well then. I have a ways ahead of me I guess for either one.

EDIT: *removes sushi from the fridge to eat. Can't find fork or chopsticks*

*looks at package* "Sell by February 6th"

EiqbqFb.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Chuunibyou 10

Oh shit,
dat confession
. Followed by
family-related drama

Man, I wanna finish this up tonight but I'm reaaally tired...I guess I'll finish it up and start S2 tomorrow.

Sazae-san - Episodes 7,077, 7,064 and 7,069

This is the first group of three episodes with Namihei's new voice actor. The change in voice is quite apparent from what I could tell. Although he sounds fine to me. I did manage to see a PS4 advert afterwards though!

Episode 7,077
- A random man enter the house while Sazae was sleeping who she then chases out of the house with a broom. After a bit of food shopping and bad yoga we finally meet Namihei who then accidentally sits on a bench with wet paint.

Episode 7,064 - Taro goes to the old couple's house to see a bird playing in a bird bath, soon everyone's worries drift away due to seeing a blossoming tree. Katsuo buys one of them to show to everyone after they're all dreaming of them. Birds seem to love the tree a lot and are now playing in the water bath more than before.

Episode 7,069 - Sazae gets a great phone call and then picks up a classy dress to wear. She then goes to a photo shoot only to then get dressed up in farm gear. The photos end up in a magazine only for Katuso to poke fun at her for how silly it looks.

I lost the janken match - My Paper losing to Sazae's Scissors.

wonzo

Banned
GBF 17-18

gundambf17.jpg

Those last two matchers were the shit, though I feel like
the brothers really should've won
the last one.

Dareka no Manazashi

darekanomanazashi.jpg

A really nice 7 minute Shinkai short commissioned by a Real Estate Group about a fragmented family coming back together over the loss of a loved one. Easily one of the best things he's ever made.

Pupipo 9

pupipo9.jpg

Sleeping Po-chan is just about the cutest thing ever.

Nordicus

Aah, nothing like seeing SAO reactions after waking up on Sunday morning.

Thank you everyone for watching that trash so I don't have to.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh, by the way, I'm sure this has already been brought up, but just in case: Along with Seki-kun, there's also no Nobunaga the Fool this week due to the Olympics. Which is pretty lame considering the cliffhanger we were left on last week. ;_;

Ah well though, more time for me to watch Chuuni!

Mr.Jeff

Dareka no Manazashi

darekanomanazashi.jpg

A really nice 7 minute Shinkai short commissioned by a Real Estate Group about a fragmented family coming back together over the loss of a loved one. Easily one of the best things he's ever made.
That's the short I saw before Garden of Words last year. For the life of me I couldn't remember what it was called. I also remember Shinkai saying that he got Lum's VA Fumi Hirano cast for the cat because he has a thing for her. Power of being the director I guess.

NeonZ

I'm pretty sure the Shinsengumi end up being important players in many of the serious arc. But one of the most badass ones, where best girl is introduced, they're not in there.

The Shinsengumi never seem to appear in the arc where they should be there. Big menace that could destroy all of Edo arcs? No Shinsengumi most of the time (aside from the very first Umibozou story). They only seem to appear when the characters involved have personal connections with them. That still means they appear quite a bit, but it's an odd choice.

Space Dandy 7

Man

I just...

man.

Space Dandy 7

post-29824-R-Kelly-WTF-WHAT-gif-DAFUQ-Tra-WRJC.gif

DA BEST

Space Dandy 7

This show has blown past all of my expectations. Watanabe finally made a top tier series.

Space Dandy 7

Exactly what you'd expect from the people behind Code Geass.

Space Dandy 7

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT

Fuck yes, a high ranking episode!
Bless my heart Spiritual Dandy

Space Dandy Dub 7

After being plowed hard from behind, Dandy brought us transcends never before seen in anime

Best episode

Space Dandy 7
So awesome, it exceeded the concept of mind and reached enlightenment

I'm trying to determine if
a) it was actually good
b) it's the typical Internet-gaf irony
c) It's "so bad it's good"

Help me Gaf.

Don't troll me.

DiGiKerot

Interesting. How much did it cost?

It's about £22 in British Pounds (small print run/niche book premium, alas). From Amazon in the UK, anyway. Some other stores here - including Book Depository, which is owned by Amazon, have it listed cheaper. No idea how much it'd cost to get in the US, though.

I've not had a chance to finish reading it yet (about three-quarters of the way through - just finished all the stuff about the collapse of MushiPro. Real interesting), but I agree with much of what has been said about the book.

That being said, my favourite thing is the anecdote about Japanese movie interpreters pretending a movie about the French aristocracy being overthrown was actually about really dandy cowboys in order to get around newly established controls over film content.

Theonik

Anyway, on a slight tangent, time to do some book pimping:

Anime A History
Fantasia itself would not be distributed in Japanese cinemas until 1855, but had a powerful effect on its tiny, invited audience.
On a bigger tangent, I remember you mentioning the erotic anime film guide by Clements.What else is worth getting?
Also lol @the typo

But how many anime episode screencap reviews are in it?
The book centers around events in the anime industry rather than the anime itself so !

I think i remember seeing a talk this dude gave a while ago. Had no idea he wrote a book so I'm definitely gonna check this out.
He's written several actually. I posted about this book a few months back when it came out! This particular book is also a PhD paper so keep that in mind about the format of the material!

Gintama 109-110 The Month of Katsura Trolling part 1

Holy shit, both of these were gold in different ways.

LETS INFILTRATE KATSURA'S FACTION! Except there's tests filled with trolling and maid cafes. Also Jackie Chan.

...and being in prison!

Will admit, even if the story Katsura told in prison was fake, it gave me feels.
but that glorious fucking ending. That ENDING
Jackie !!
All those jackie-chan parodies in one gintama episode were just brillant.

This show is really fanservicey but it has nods to some good anime and cat eared characters. I kinda want to check it out.
As long as you understand that you're in a setting that is focused on fanservice , you can watch ep 3 &4 can probably be watched without knowledge of the previous ones , they are self contained. but i do think that the effect of ep 3 is better if you're familliar with the characters.

Sekai Seifuku 3
Smoking is bad and you should feel bad if you do it. Great job Kate though we now know one of Zvezda's weaknesses is thick smoke
Not sure about the weakness part , if anything it would make everyone fight harder and fiercer.

Gintama 115

"I'm not 'All right'! I'm Katsura!"
Katsura DA BES

sX1dyMf.jpg

Because fandom already overrating Tsuky too much

Come at me, gintamabros
A solid #2nd place

GBF 17-18

gundambf17.jpg

Those last two matchers were the shit, though I feel like
the brothers really should've won
the last one.
NO because
-They were overconfident
-They didn't play gunpla , they were at war , and such have no place in a gundam anime at any higher place.
-I want to hear more of the meijin soundtrack

Arpeggio of Blue Steel Ars Nova 1-2

Takao is mai waifu.

2 episodes IN , already making choices ? Not that it's a bad choice at all , carefull to not switch sides :)

Jex

On a bigger tangent, I remember you mentioning the erotic anime film guide by Clements.What else is worth getting?

Schoolgirl Milky Crisis: Adventures in the Anime and Manga Trade is his other book that I have some experience with and it's pretty darn good too.

Gross, but expected. Fingers crossed that it looks acceptable.

cajunator

Banned
TV is a visual thing for the most part. Pretty easy to do considering it's a show aimed at kids, so there's not much complicated about it. Although, sometimes, we do need more context in word heavy moments.

If its that easy maybe I can figure it out too.

Anyway, on a slight tangent, time to do some book pimping:

Anime A History

41bktup9tdl._sy445_hle3w.jpg

So I mentioned this briefly when I first got my hands on it a couple of months ago but now that I've delved a lot deeper into the text I have more to say about it. In the English language world there honestly aren't that many academic/factual books about anime that are really worth your time. If you do a little bit of research you can find articles and essays here are there which are pretty good but, by and large, most of the work you find is really just a collection of disparate essays which are all arguing for their pet theory about this or that e.g. female identity in Utena.

What makes Jonathan Clements Anime A History different is that it's actually a scarily thorough scholarly work of history that devoted to the entire field of anime. Not only has Clements read the English sources, or Japanese translations of the Japanese book, but he can read all the native original Japanese sources too. He's intimately familiar with the entirety of the scholarship in the field and he does a great job in pulling it all together. Not only does he take all these varying sources and compile them but he examines them critically, pointing out where autobiographies make no sense and where people being interviewed have clearly got their facts wrong. It's thorough and comprehensive in a way that nearly every other book I've read on the subject isn't.

Probably the most interesting part of the book for anyone interested in the history of anime is the section that focuses on 'early anime' e.g. anything pre-1964 Astro Boy. Now, I imagine most people with an interest in the subject are well aware that there were anime works pre-1964 but I really hadn't grasped just how much anime had been produced in that period. To give you an idea, we don't get to Astroy Boy till 1964 and therefore over 100 pages of the book deal with anime before that period.

What I really about the text is that you're not just getting a history of anime but you're learning about the history early 20th Century Japan as well as the earliest days of film both in Japan and elsewhere. Here's a few interesting extracts:

On Moral Panic

"The incorporation of cinema and cartoons as mere elements within the wider field of sideshow entertainment seemed to persist until 1911, when cinema itself was foregrounded as the focus of a new moral panic, in the wake of an allegedly harmful foreign import that glorified the activities of a live-action French master-theif. Ji-Go-Ma (1911, Zigomar)...Zigomar was soon followed by it's French sequels, and by several Japanese works that purported to be continuations. To the horror of the Ministry of Education, Japanese children were reported 'playing' games in which they and their friends imitated the French criminals. Inevitably, newspaper reports began to associate juvenile delinquents with the film assigning the name 'Zigomar gangs' to disaffected youth...by 1912 newspaper were suggesting that Zigomar was merely one of several dangerously influential narratives consumed by impressionable youth and that the nature of film itself made cinema a potentially dangerous and subversive blight on society."

There's a later section that deals with secret anime produced by government as instructional tools for war and later in that chapter:

On Fantasia

"In 1941, a dozen men assembled in a private Tokyo screening room. The select group had been called together to see an item that had been seized in the South Pacific by a Japanese navy patrol boat before the official outbreak of hostilities. Hidden in the hold of a raided American transport ship, a number of canisters of film had been brought back to Japan for inspection, and then prepared for a viewing.

The film was Walt Disney's Fantasia (1940), screened in secret so that the animators of wartime Japan could know their enemy. Fantasia itself would not be distributed in Japanese cinemas until 1955, but had a powerful effect on its tiny, invited audience. Ushio Soji, then working as animator under his real name of Sagisu Tomino, sat in the dark and wept at the finale...we only know this because it his account of the screening some sixty-six years later that confirms it...it was show only to the topmost animation directors."

This book is somehwre on my amazon wishlist. Ill purchase it eventually. I love books about anime. (funny because I dont read actual manga books)

God dammit watching all these sad parent episodes in anime only make me remember the protag's dad backstory from Clannad AS and cry like a little bitch.

GOD DAMMIT ANIME I NEED COMEDY AGAIN.

Binbougami ga, B Gata H Kei, Detroit Metal City

DiGiKerot

Schoolgirl Milky Crisis: Adventures in the Anime and Manga Trade is his other book that I have some experience with and it's pretty darn good too.

I have a signed copy! (Also a signed copy of the first issue of Manga Max of which Clements was editor).

Milky Crisis is basically a collection of short pieces he wrote for various other magazines like Newtype USA and Neo. It's fun and way more conversational and anecdotal than Anime:A History, but it does have a bit of a problem with dancing around mentioning specific names or otherwise establishing the actual context of what the piece is actually about (infact, "Schoolgirl Milky Crisis" is the show name he uses when he doesn't want to mention an actual show by name). Probably a lot to do with the nature of the magazines, and the fluff-piece nature of his columns within, but it's a little frustrating at times none-the-less.

Theonik

Gross, but expected. Fingers crossed that it looks acceptable.
Those were the two I was looking at. I guess it's time to look into grabbing them.
Also curous about the anime encyclopaedia he co-wrote.

Jintor

Kill la kill 17

Holy shiiiiiit

Log horizon 20

Shiroe is a killer lawyer. Crunchy is scary.
Rudy and isuzu are adorbs.

Shergal

Dandy 7
lol what the crap at the end. The funniest thing while watching the episodes is anticipating what kind of ridiculous non-sequitur they'll try to pull at the climax, honestly.

Fun ep, quite a lot of great mechanical animation, mmm. The dub for the guest characters was terrible though, I'm gonna watch the jp audio now, it'll probably be at least bearable.

Midonin

Nogunagun 07

Extremely military-heavy episode, more than usual. Got some minor Strike Witches vibes from taking over a battleship, and I can make a "A man, a plan, a canal - Panama!" jokes, but the best part for me was the beach scene at the end, brief as it was. Still, as one of only two shows that I watch today that's still airing, it was enjoyable.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? of the Dead - 1 to 10

Second season of a show that I enjoyed. Again, not a huge amount happens but at the same time I found it to be an enjoyable watch. I think the character designs and personalities alone are enough for me to get over the harem elements - which can be a little boring in other shows.

The constant butt jokes and spontaneous events happening throughout kept me laughing and the eye candy isn't bad either. Can't see a third series happening though.

Enjoyability is similar to Seto no Hanayome, although that's probably a step above.

And of course, Eu is adorable.

FZe3myD.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? of the Dead - 1 to 10

Second season of a show that I enjoyed. Again, not a huge amount happens but at the same time I found it to be an enjoyable watch. I think the character designs and personalities alone are enough for me to get over the harem elements - which can be a little boring in other shows.

The constant butt jokes and spontaneous events happening throughout kept me laughing and the eye candy isn't bad either. Can't see a third series happening though.

Enjoyability is similar to Seto no Hanayome, although that's probably a step above.

And of course, Eu is adorable.

FZe3myD.jpg

She so is.

Branduil

Dareka no Manazashi

darekanomanazashi.jpg

Huh, I remember watching this, but I don't remember when.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Mushishi 13

Dang this one was creepy as fuck.

Space☆Dandy 7

Getting some CLAMP/Code Geass/whatever vibes from this prince guy. Like damn, you Shit-zaku's cousin or something, son?

BEST EPISODE YET

Space Battleship Yamato 19

Goddman I love how much they actually characterize both sides of this conflict so well. So fucking refreshing. I need more Flakken, ASAP!

Pupipo! 9

This is getting crazy interesting. And Po is fucking adorable as ever.

Sakura Trick 6

This show is so damn formulaic. I was willing to overlook it just on pure cuteness basically, but character growth is minimal and we've basically be watching the same episode again and again just with a different paint job. Starting to get boring quick.

Golden Time 18

Is is actually gonna happen this time? Are we actually gonna pull the trigger, writers?

Kill la KIll 18

Wait...don't tell me...

HOLY

FUCKING

SHIT

Pupa 6

This show is so fucking gross, god fucking dammit. I can't even sit through half of even four minute of this shit in one go.

cajunator

Banned
Mushishi 13

Dang this one was creepy as fuck.

Space☆Dandy 7

Getting some CLAMP/Code Geass/whatever vibes from this prince guy. Like damn, you Shit-zaku's cousin or something, son?

BEST EPISODE YET

Space Battleship Yamato 19

Goddman I love how much they actually characterize both sides of this conflict so well. So fucking refreshing. I need more Flakken, ASAP!

Pupipo! 9

This is getting crazy interesting. And Po is fucking adorable as ever.

Sakura Trick 6

This show is so damn formulaic. I was willing to overlook it just on pure cuteness basically, but character growth is minimal and we've basically be watching the same episode again and again just with a different paint job. Starting to get boring quick.

Golden Time 18

Is is actually gonna happen this time? Are we actually gonna pull the trigger, writers?

Kill la KIll 18

Wait...don't tell me...

HOLY

FUCKING

SHIT

Pupa 6

This show is so fucking gross, god fucking dammit. I can't even sit through half of even four minute of this shit in one go.

So basically kill la kill is the only show bringing the wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom