• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Higurashi 23

Higurashi is the kind of show where
deciding to be accomplices in a murder
is possibly the only good development to happen to these people in 23 episodes. Well, aside from
the entire town being destroyed.

Gazoinks

Gintama 49

So this episode was filled with translation notes, and then when they started what I'm pretty sure was a spoof of Akagi they didn't point it out. Come on guys, if you're going to do a completely unnecessary amount of notes you have to commit!

Anyway, this is the end of season 1 so I thought it was a good point to sum my thoughts up so far. In sum: Pretty great! The first double-parter is by far the weakest episode, and honestly feels totally pointless. It's bogged down by introducing all the cast, but they rewind everything for the second episode anyway. The show started to get consistently funny around episode 8 and became amazing at 25. Favorite episodes would be 25, 34, 42, and 45.

Only 216 episodes to go!

But then you'll miss out on the chance to see all the continuity errors Bravely Default offers.

There was already a glaring one in chapter 4. I understand it's a sidequest, but information like that shouldn't be "oh well whatever lol"

The game's story was never its strong point, the characters and battle system is. I even haven't gotten bored of the music. But after all that hard work? What a kick in the nuts.

I need something good to cheer me up. Something like Fate Zero blu-ray getting a 75% off deal.

Has everyone turned on this game already??

I'm still enjoying it. It's just not as godly as I thought it was. I'll probably still play it throughout the weekend and when I have free time and will most definitely beat it and look forward to the sequel. If anything they can't make the mistake I hate twice

zeroshiki

firehawk12 could have learned Japanese and some Korean too in the time he's been complaining about the Monogatari commentary tracks.

CorvoSol

for the love of god no

it's Evangelion for Gundam SEED Destiny fans written by the guy who did Mardock Scramble.

You know, some guys have a spank bank.

But I have a rage bank for when I need to just really cut loose and get in touch with my inner anger. This is going right into that vault.

So fitting that FFV spiritual sequel had lameass story,

FFV's story was at least coherent and not some mess where characters forget things they know (including entire plot arcs!) from scene to scene. Bravely Default feels like they ran out of time and had to string together a bunch of unrelated content and recycle assets just to get it out.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Wasnt there some fansub with an absurdly large note about this scene?

Yes.

KdMaYAT.jpg

Link Man

Banned
Higurashi 21

Well, that was incredibly brutal, although they were a bit heavy-handed on the imagery
in regards to Satoko's death
. Other than that,
the ending seems to paint an inconsistency with the second arc, unless we're supposed to believe she survived that fall.

So there seems to be at least three different universes in this series; I'm curious as to what's going to happen in the final arc of the season.

Er, I mean

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
firehawk12 could have learned Japanese and some Korean too in the time he's been complaining about the Monogatari commentary tracks.
I don't think learning Japanese just for commentary tracks is a smart thing to do. lol
Although I suppose it would mean being able to listen to the Yamato 2199 commentaries...

The game suffers from some poor writing, and everything after chapter 4 feels like they ran out of time and money and had to ship out a patched together and unfinished game.
But didn't they already improve the game?

I'm still enjoying it. It's just not as godly as I thought it was. I'll probably still play it throughout the weekend and when I have free time and will most definitely beat it and look forward to the sequel. If anything they can't make the mistake I hate twice
Titanfall killed my time unfortunately. I still think the ability to turn off random battles is the best thing ever though. lol

zeroshiki

I don't think learning Japanese just for commentary tracks is a smart thing to do. lol
Although I suppose it would mean being able to listen to the Yamato 2199 commentaries...

Some people here claim they're studying Japanese just to watch anime :p I don't think that's a good idea either.

(Oh shit, I just summoned Kagami again)

Titanfall killed my time unfortunately. I still think the ability to turn off random battles is the best thing ever though. lol

I guess I'll have to wait for Titanfall 2 in the next 2 years for the ps4.

And yeah turning off random battles it's great for strategizing. Turn it off until a save point then turn it back on and grind to your heart's content without consequences.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Some people here claim they're studying Japanese just to watch anime :p I don't think that's a good idea either.

(Oh shit, I just summoned Kagami again)
I think the only reason to learn Japanese is to be able to watch the AKB elections!

I guess I'll have to wait for Titanfall 2 in the next 2 years for the ps4.

And yeah turning off random battles it's great for strategizing. Turn it off until a save point then turn it back on and grind to your heart's content without consequences.
Titanfall is worth getting a PC/Xbone for. The only thing wrong with Titanfall is that it's just TOO good.

The random battles thing just makes exploration much less of a chore. Sometimes you just want to walk out of a dungeon and not have to bother fighting. Alternatively, the other RPGs where the battles autoresolve if it is clear that you are more powerful than the enemies are nice too.

Although it makes me wonder what the point of JRPGs are if features to make them less tedious are to be praised. lol

Westlo

Samurai Flamenco 6

Oh god these flamenco weapons are corny as fuck, alright ep though.

Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda 3

God tier episode, Zvezda with dat ether for smokers.

zeroshiki

I think the only reason to learn Japanese is to be able to watch the AKB elections!

That I've never been able to participate in the AnimeGAF chats during it is one of my biggest regrets!

We have this discussion here from time to time but I am of the belief that studying Japanese just to watch anime is a super flimsy reason to do so and 9 times out of 10, you will quit when you reach a particularly difficult portion (like, say, verb conjugations). Its the nature of learning a language and if you don't have a particularly strong reason to soldier on, you're more than likely to just drop it.

CorvoSol

That I've never been able to participate in the AnimeGAF chats during it is one of my biggest regrets!

We have this discussion here from time to time but I am of the belief that studying Japanese just to watch anime is a super flimsy reason to do so and 9 times out of 10, you will quit when you reach a particularly difficult portion (like, say, verb conjugations). Its the nature of learning a language and if you don't have a particularly strong reason to soldier on, you're more than likely to just drop it.

Gah, this reminds me I need to find out if there are still Korean lessons this semester. I need a good Asian language foothold. Why must college be so populated with shit I don't want to learn about and not filled instead with all foreign language courses? That's what I really like to do anyway.

Pilot's
F6RzBCq.gif
Song 7

Sorry it's hard to feel sad when
the flag had been set so hard last episode. I cry like a little bitch quite often but they made this one TOO obvious. I still felt bad though for side character #7

firehawk12

Subete no aware

That said, at least you could pretend you're aiming toward being a freelance subber for Crunchyroll or something. lol

fertygo

To be fair when anime-fan saying this, they're also most likely interested to other otaku media like the games, VN and LN.. there's bunch of untranslated content in there or heck its also make them could see the original context that often lose in translation.

As SRW fan we must already see lot of example of those, come on you can't call them silly.. many of them actually succeed too.

zeroshiki

Gah, this reminds me I need to find out if there are still Korean lessons this semester. I need a good Asian language foothold. Why must college be so populated with shit I don't want to learn about and not filled instead with all foreign language courses? That's what I really like to do anyway.

Why not take Japanese classes? You're halfway there with all the anime you watch.

That said, at least you could pretend you're aiming toward being a freelance subber for Crunchyroll or something. lol

:lol aim high! Dorama translations!

I always find it funny when I see people over in gaming go "Oh man good thing I'm taking a Japanese class this semester so I can finally play Ryu Ga Gotoku." Yeah, sure, maybe in 5 years you'll start to understand what they're talking about.

To be fair when anime-fan saying this, they're also most likely interested to other otaku media like the games, VN and LN.. there's bunch of untranslated content in there or heck its also make them could see the original context that often lose in translation.

As SRW fan we must already see lot of example of those, come on you can't call them silly.. many of them actually succeed too.

I've seen way more people fail though :p I concede your point with the culture and stuff. I will say that if you have a good enough reason, you can get over the hurdles. I just don't think anime per se is a good reason. Its also really fucking hard so I wish people would stop treating it like something they can cram for a semester.

cajunator

Banned

good gracious..

Higurashi 21

Well, that was incredibly brutal, although they were a bit heavy-handed on the imagery
in regards to Satoko's death
. Other than that,
the ending seems to paint an inconsistency with the second arc, unless we're supposed to believe she survived that fall.

So there seems to be at least three different universes in this series; I'm curious as to what's going to happen in the final arc of the season.

Er, I mean

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You took it rather well. Usagi drop is pretty potent stuff.

sonicmj1

so out of the shows i've dropped which are worth catching up?

the 2 nobunaga shows,

buddy... cop? forget the name.

the witch show about getting white stuff from protag.

that generic ass looking magic battle show.

chuu2 s2

The witch show is the only good one there. The comedy's really starting to gel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom