• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAWtama 148-149

Sogo, you magnificent sadistic bastard.

And yes, nipples are meant to be sucked. Those are words to live by Hijikata.

*sees Otsu in the next picture* Ugggggh

CorvoSol

Why not take Japanese classes? You're halfway there with all the anime you watch.

Several reasons. The Korean Club on campus actually offers free lessons. My dad has spoken terrible fake Korean to me my entire life and I'd like to know what these things he's saying actually mean. Adding Korean to my resume technically opens up more job opportunities with my degree than Japanese would.

Also I doubt that the anime would help until I had a solid foothold in Japanese.

Gazoinks

Abyss? Good stuff. Super atmospheric, with dismemberment, guns, and absolutely no explanations given for anything in the game - very FROM.

Awesome. I love their style, definitely give it a go at some point.

Several reasons. The Korean Club on campus actually offers free lessons. My dad has spoken terrible fake Korean to me my entire life and I'd like to know what these things he's saying actually mean. Adding Korean to my resume technically opens up more job opportunities with my degree than Japanese would.

Also I doubt that the anime would help until I had a solid foothold in Japanese.

I still remember how to say thank you in Korean from the 10 hours I spent in SK. I can help.

zeroshiki

Its actually the reverse. If you watch alot of anime, you get used to hearing Japanese words so sometimes, the stuff you study just "sticks" to you. It also helps with listening and understanding the language if you're used to it and can pick apart sentences more easily. Japanese doesn't have spaces so your ability to differentiate between words is a plus even if you don't know the meaning to them yet.

CorvoSol

Its actually the reverse. If you watch alot of anime, you get used to hearing Japanese words so sometimes, the stuff you study just "sticks" to you. It also helps with listening and understanding the language if you're used to it and can pick apart sentences more easily. Japanese doesn't have spaces so your ability to differentiate between words is a plus even if you don't know the meaning to them yet.

See, I think I'm just not ready to dive into that pool yet.

CorvoSol

Fair enough. I agree its not for everybody. Its funny that this turned into a sidetrack recommending you study Japanese when the posts it branched out from was me telling people not to do it.

Well, I mean, I'd like to learn it someday, but Korean is readily being taught for free at the moment, and an Int. Studies major who is fluent in Korean is more readily employable than one who is fluent in Portuguese.

I guess.

Westlo

It's a rollercoaster from here on out, but if you stick with it the past 2-3 episodes have been pretty damn good.

the
guillotine
was just so unnecessary, that shit like offended me with how much more stupid it made it. And than that
astral form
or whatever the fuck, fuck me. I knew something dumb was coming due to past reactions that was thankfully spoiler tagged by everyone but this... "exceeded" my expectations.

jman2050

Some people here claim they're studying Japanese just to watch anime :p I don't think that's a good idea either.

(Oh shit, I just summoned Kagami again)

Learning Japanese for anime is dumb, any anime worth its salt gets translated anyway.

You learn Japanese for the video games.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
3 hours hahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm so afraid to check the timer on this game on my 3DS

I burned out so hard on RF4. Only put maybe 35 hours into it. Shoulda gotten DKCR3D. =/

-------

Chuunibyou Ren 3

Mahou Shojou Yuuta is new best girl.

And so we meet the new girl, Shichimiya. Who conveniently lives right above Yuuta and Rikka! I'm sure there won't be any drama coming from this! :lol

Gazoinks

the
guillotine
was just so unnecessary, that shit like offended me with how much more stupid it made it. And than that
astral form
or whatever the fuck, fuck me.

Samumenco has only began to get ludicrous. The places you go. The fever dreams you see.

the
guillotine
astral form
or whatever the fuck, fuck me.

If your reaction is "that's so stupid, I hate it"

instead of

"what the fuck hahahahahaha I can dig it"

then you might not enjoy the rest of the show. As it stops caring about a cohesive plot and just goes full retard. In the literal sense.

Westlo

instead of

then you might not enjoy the rest of the show. As it stops caring about a cohesive plot and just goes full retard. In the literal sense.

I'm kinda got one foot in both camps, will at least give 8 a shot sometime soon.

instead of

yep definately not watching
i can deal with it for Space Dandy
because it never had a plot to begin with

zeroshiki

Well, I mean, I'd like to learn it someday, but Korean is readily being taught for free at the moment, and an Int. Studies major who is fluent in Korean is more readily employable than one who is fluent in Portuguese.

I guess.

Wouldn't Spanish or French be more useful in your line of work?

Gintama 150 - The Final Episode
But not Really

Man, all these endings, from straight up reusing EVA's ending sequence, on top of every other ending sequence, it's sad to see this end
but not really

In regards to the third season, there certainly were a lot more arcs than before, with Yoshiwara in Flames Arc being the longest in both the season, and in the Gintama anime so far.

A look back at the Dog episodes.... I'm still mixed on it. It's like... the one moment where I didn't really want the extent of Gintama's craziness there. Pretty bro season
and probably some Shipachi things
. Looks like I'm done with Gintama in 8 days!
But not really. about.... 115 episodes left... and a couple movies

zeroshiki

Learning Japanese for anime is dumb, any anime worth its salt gets translated anyway.

You learn Japanese for the video games.

You're right that its much much more useful for games. Still, I will question your motivation to study :p Unless the game you are aiming to play is Mario or Pokemon or something, getting to a point where you can easily read a RGG or SRW game will take years and years.

I hope I'm not coming off as condescending. My point is that, a language, more than any other kind of skill takes a really long time to learn so having a good strong reason to do it is important. As fertygo said, if your motivation is to be able to experience the entirety of Japanese nerd culture, games, anime, drama CDs, manga etc you might be able to eke out enough positive reinforcement by slowly being able to understand these things to take you far into your studies.

I'd at least like to get around to learning hiragana and katakana, if nothing else.

If you had enough time, you could probably do that in less than a week?

CorvoSol

Wouldn't Spanish or French be more useful in your line of work?

Spanish terrifies me because it is too similar to Portuguese and I fear mixing them over time. French is something I would love to get back into if I had the time.

Like, I can fake read passages in Spanish, and sometimes French and Italian. But this semester I've been so caught up in really working on my Portuguese that I have kinda neglected my Korean studies.

zeroshiki

Spanish terrifies me because it is too similar to Portuguese and I fear mixing them over time. French is something I would love to get back into if I had the time.

Like, I can fake read passages in Spanish, and sometimes French and Italian. But this semester I've been so caught up in really working on my Portuguese that I have kinda neglected my Korean studies.

Korean is a good long cut into Japanese too apparently. They have similar grammatical structure, I'm told.

CorvoSol

Korean is a good long cut into Japanese too apparently. They have similar grammatical structure, I'm told.

The downside is that, unlike Japanese, apparently Korean doesn't share the Chinese Alphabet. A shared alphabet saves time. Picking up Latin languages is easy because the Roman Empire made damn sure we were all so similar to begin with.

jman2050

You're right that its much much more useful for games. Still, I will question your motivation to study :p Unless the game you are aiming to play is Mario or Pokemon or something, getting to a point where you can easily read a RGG or SRW game will take years and years.

I hope I'm not coming off as condescending. My point is that, a language, more than any other kind of skill takes a really long time to learn so having a good strong reason to do it is important. As fertygo said, if your motivation is to be able to experience the entirety of Japanese nerd culture, games, anime, drama CDs, manga etc you might be able to eke out enough positive reinforcement by slowly being able to understand these things to take you far into your studies.

I guess some people can view it as an intellectual exercise. Though learning a language is less intelligence-based and more repetition-based. You gotta prepare to spend basically every day consuming as much material as you can handle and learning, relearning, and rerelearning vocabulary, sentence structure, and other basic core tenets of the language and applying them in practical situations, whether it's reading, listening, speaking, or otherwise, until you force your brain to understand.

I speak of course as someone who never learned Spanish despite living in a Spanish-speaking neighborhood with a Spanish-speaking family and attempting to do so later in life. Once you pass that narrow window of opportunity when you're a little child and can learn damn near anything purely by osmosis then you better be prepared to put in time and effort every single day or you will fail.

Don't let that stop you from trying of course. It wouldn't for me, but then I'm stubborn that way :p

Besides, we all know English and English is stupid, so even something like Japanese would be less stupid in comparison!

Dresden

The downside is that, unlike Japanese, apparently Korean doesn't share the Chinese Alphabet. A shared alphabet saves time. Picking up Latin languages is easy because the Roman Empire made damn sure we were all so similar to begin with.

Hangul is really easy to learn, so it's not too bad.

CorvoSol

Hangul is really easy to learn, so it's not too bad.

Yeah the lessons I've had so far are mostly all in learning Hangul, which is what I'm spending as much of my time on as possible. I just kinda got sidetracked over Christmas Break and haven't been back since.

Ill catch up soon enough but first me and Corvy have a watch agreement. Not a bet because both shows are enjoyable.

Yeah, lemme know when to start. I'm trying to clean the plate so I can devote time specifically to it.

Reknoc

If you had enough time, you could probably do that in less than a week?

Years and years is still faster than it would take SEGA to localise anymore Yakuza games which'll be hmmmm...

Oh yea, never.

zeroshiki

I guess some people can view it as an intellectual exercise. Though learning a language is less intelligence-based and more repetition-based. You gotta prepare to spend basically every day consuming as much material as you can handle and learning, relearning, and rerelearning vocabulary, sentence structure, and other basic core tenets of the language and applying them in practical situations, whether it's reading, listening, speaking, or otherwise, until you force your brain to understand.

I speak of course as someone who never learned Spanish despite living in a Spanish-speaking neighborhood with a Spanish-speaking family and attempting to do so later in life. Once you pass that narrow window of opportunity when you're a little child and can learn damn near anything purely by osmosis then you better be prepared to put in time and effort every single day or you will fail.

Don't let that stop you from trying of course. It wouldn't for me, but then I'm stubborn that way :p

Besides, we all know English and English is stupid, so even something like Japanese would be less stupid in comparison!

This is key and is the reason why if I ever have children, they will be septilingual pianist/violinists.

Yeah calling the Chinese character set an "alphabet" is a hilarious misnomer at best.

An alphabet that just happens to have 20,000 letters!

CorvoSol

That's not an alphabet, and it damn sure isn't an advantage.

You alphabet-blessed language learners are a lucky lot. Based Korea even made one up for you!

Well it's not my fault that the Chinese Empire couldn't beat the Roman Empire in a Spelling Bee.

Yeah calling the Chinese character set an "alphabet" is a hilarious misnomer at best.

I'm sorry, do you have a more convenient term for a series of related characters that make up a language? What, was I supposed to say the Chinese Syllabic Character Set and call it a day? I'm not in a language class. I don't have to be accurate tonight.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah the lessons I've had so far are mostly all in learning Hangul, which is what I'm spending as much of my time on as possible. I just kinda got sidetracked over Christmas Break and haven't been back since.

Yeah, lemme know when to start. I'm trying to clean the plate so I can devote time specifically to it.

Rightstuf shipped a large shipment with both seasons of fmp and other goodies which should arrive by thursday, so fairly soon.

jman2050

I'm sorry, do you have a more convenient term for a series of related characters that make up a language? What, was I supposed to say the Chinese Syllabic Character Set and call it a day? I'm not in a language class. I don't have to be accurate tonight.

We all know what you mean, I just like being a pedantic ass sometimes.

I'm actually not entirely sure what people would call Chinese, I'm certainly no linguist, but a quick wikipedia trip tells me calling "logographic" is a good start I guess?

We all know what you mean, I just like being a pedantic ass sometimes.

I'm actually not entirely sure what people would call Chinese, I'm certainly no linguist, but a quick wikipedia trip tells me "logography" is a good start I guess?

The better terminology for the Chinese script would be morphosyllabic. The Chinese syllabary represents morphemes, not words

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Chuunibyou Ren 4

I'm actually a bit disappointed that everything went back to status-quo by the end of the episode. That scene between Dekomori and Nibutani was one of the most touching things in this show so far, maybe even moreso than anything between Rikka and Yuuta. Speaking of them, their relationship is still super weird. Yuuta's more of a parent to Rikka than a boyfriend. Of course, the show itself has brought this up several times, but that doesn't make it any less weird.

Articalys

Pilot's Love Song ep.7

Yeah, I'm going to agree that
there were so many BLATANT death flags going off that the impact was lessened. Though I did kind of expect them both to die so at least the girl surviving was nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom