• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood 01
Not bad. I preferred the intro in the original though.
Some decent action.
The Manga BD blows.

So, going into GaoGaiGar Final, should I watch the regular version or the Grand Glorious Gathering version? As the latter has 12 episodes while the former only has 8 for some reason. Is there any difference between the two?

Theonik

I liked the first brohood OP better than any of the original FMA openings :(
Not talking OPs here, I liked the S1 opening episode better. The only thing that urks me in the Brotherhood OP is that one cut of the path which has static drawn stone walls which they pan the camera over but don't change the perspective on the wall.

cnet128

Banned
WHAT. WHAT. WHAT. WHAT. My brain can't take the knowledge you are dropping.

Yeah, I always find that reveal is super unclear in the anime, it's probably my least favourite thing about the adaptation.
It doesn't go into the ohagi thing at all, so the only clear sign you get of what the flashback means is that one shot of the syringe fading into a marker, which is a bit blink-and-you-miss-it. Well, and the fact that Keiichi breaks down and starts apologising because he realises how wrong he was in that arc.

Da fuck happens to
Shion during arc 2
?

Not quite sure what you're asking there. You already watched Meakashi-hen, so you've seen pretty much all the gory details of what happens to Shion in Watanagashi-hen, since those two arcs are essentially identical.

Theonik

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 02
I liked this episode a lot better! I feel having seen the first series has been beneficial to my watching so far.
We should be moving in line with the original next episode.

Nordicus

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 02
I liked this episode a lot better! I feel having seen the first series has been beneficial to my watching so far.
We should be moving in line with the original next episode.
Brotherhood's going to be almost identical to the old anime for about the next dozen episodes or so.

OceanBlue

Brotherhood's going to be almost identical to the old anime for about the next dozen episodes or so.

I think it starts diverging at around episode 16 to 18 or so. I don't want to check though because the last time I said this and tried to confirm it, I ended up watching the entire series and not sleeping. :<

Midonin

Inari, Kon Kon, Koi Iroha. 06

:SDBurton levels reaching suitable. This series is turning out to be pretty enjoyable. I'm even taking a shine to Maru. She's a nicely sympathetic portrayal of a female otaku, which anime has plenty of and could always use more of.

CorvoSol

So, going into GaoGaiGar Final, should I watch the regular version or the Grand Glorious Gathering version? As the latter has 12 episodes while the former only has 8 for some reason. Is there any difference between the two?

I'm pretty sure I saw the latter.

Yeah, I always find that reveal is super unclear in the anime, it's probably my least favourite thing about the adaptation.
It doesn't go into the ohagi thing at all, so the only clear sign you get of what the flashback means is that one shot of the syringe fading into a marker, which is a bit blink-and-you-miss-it. Well, and the fact that Keiichi breaks down and starts apologising because he realises how wrong he was in that arc.

Not quite sure what you're asking there. You already watched Meakashi-hen, so you've seen pretty much all the gory details of what happens to Shion in Watanagashi-hen, since those two arcs are essentially identical.

Well I have 3 questions left from the Shion arc:
What really happened to Satoshi? Who is the one who kills Keichi at the end? Cuz if it's Shion, how does that happen, since she slips and falls to her death before that scene? Did Shion know, at the end of that arc, what was really happening, since she said "next time"?

NeonZ

Is Grand Glorious Gathering even subbed? Anyway, just go with the standard one, unless you want a bunch of extra recaps that attempt to tie in GaoGaiGar with Betterman and give some other extra background material, all without any real new footage.

I'm pretty sure I saw the latter.

Is Grand Glorious Gathering even subbed? Anyway, just go with the standard one, unless you want a bunch of extra recaps that attempt to tie in GaoGaiGar with Betterman and give some other extra background material, all without any real new footage.

The standard one it is then. The GGG version may have that awesome opening (Which is partially why I started watching GaoGaiGar, I listened to that version of the opening) but I kinda want to get GaoGaiGar over with as soon as possible so I can move on to Angel Beats and Bakemonogatari. Also I'm not interested in watching Betterman.

Inari Kon Kon 6
ku9.png

Glorious Uka-sama at her finest
Uka-sama is the best. I'm surprised Suzinome didn't notice the billowing wind around Inari.

CorvoSol

The standard one it is then. The GGG version may have that awesome opening (Which is partially why I started watching GaoGaiGar, I listened to that version of the opening) but I kinda want to get GaoGaiGar over with as soon as possible so I can move on to Angel Beats and Bakemonogatari. Also I'm not interested in watching Betterman.

It's really not worth your time anyway. I saw it, and at times it was a pretty good horror anime, and then the protagonist would be on screen or the writer's weird fart fetish would kick in and then I'd be like "Yeah no thanks."

cnet128

Banned
Well I have 3 questions left from the Shion arc:
What really happened to Satoshi? Who is the one who kills Keichi at the end? Cuz if it's Shion, how does that happen, since she slips and falls to her death before that scene? Did Shion know, at the end of that arc, what was really happening, since she said "next time"?

For your first question…well, you still have half the series left to clear up that mystery =p For your third, personally I just think that's intended as a wishful-thinking "in my next life" kind of comment, but it's open to interpretation.

And for your second question, I direct you to the post I made on that very subject yesterday:

Actually, I should probably get this out there now, for the benefit of both Link Man and Corvo: the very last scene of Watanagashi-hen (the second arc) is the one thing about the series that I've always had a bit of a problem with, and it borders on being an actual plot hole. Pretty much everything else in the series has a satisfying explanation behind it when all's said and done, but that one...not so much.

There are ways of sort-of explaining it once you're done with the series, but none of them are much more satisfying than "lol he dreamed it", so it's better IMO to just forget that scene ever happened. It's really only there for the sake of providing a horror-style "stinger" ending to the arc anyway.

CorvoSol

For your first question…well, you still have half the series left to clear up that mystery =p For your third, personally I just think that's intended as a wishful-thinking "in my next life" kind of comment, but it's open to interpretation.

And for your second question, I direct you to the post I made on that very subject yesterday:

I dunno if it's just "in my next life" 'cuz when I was watching that scene it came across as the very first time someone actually knew what was going on. Aside from
Deep Voice Rika

I have other questions but I guess I should wait to see if Kai will resolve 'em for me.

Midonin

Maken-Ki! Two 06

If this keeps going, my yuri goggles are going to max out. Fantasy, reality, everything is lewd to the max in this show. With the best director and the best character designer for this purpose, all my dreams can come true.

It's really not worth your time anyway. I saw it, and at times it was a pretty good horror anime, and then the protagonist would be on screen or the writer's weird fart fetish would kick in and then I'd be like "Yeah no thanks."

I'm mainly not interested because I don't really see how a horror anime could tie into GaoGaiGar properly.

To me, a horror anime tying into GaoGaiGar sounds akin to: "Friday the 13th" tying into Sailor Moon. Just seems out of place and doesn't belong.

CorvoSol

I'm mainly not interested because I don't really see how a horror anime could tie into GaoGaiGar properly.

To me, a horror anime tying into GaoGaiGar sounds akin to: "Friday the 13th" tying into Sailor Moon. Just seems out of place and doesn't belong.

To be entirely honest, Betterman really doesn't tie into GaoGaiGar at all. They just take place in the same universe.

Gintama 175

This was obviously done to tell kids that normal dentists aren't scary. This shit was nightmare fuel incarnated...

Hell it probably back fired when they showed
robots replacing your penis and having your arms dipped in ponzu sauce.

cnet128

Banned
Now that I'm back home, I thought I'd take a couple choice screenshots from the Fresh movie.

iGKxbz1FuRvxd.jpg

An image to sum up the entire series. Doughnuts are the source of all happiness!

ibowbBYrulGQ53.jpg

Is it just me, or does this incarnation of the Miracle Light look unfortunately like some kind of adult toy?

And for the sake of delicious GIF-ing…

ibkAv2i30RGYg5.gif

I have no idea how that's supposed to work, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look badass.

Gintama 176

It was a countdown of best lines (although it was more like a count up).

Good thing It's not Zura, it's Katsura made it on the list.

Looks like the "Phantom Troupe" arc is next (because I have no name for it). Time for Tsukyo to return I guess.

Link Man

Banned
Higurashi 25

wat

So
this is a time loop of the Endless Eight variety, created by Rika (being the reincarnation of the Shrine God) for the purpose of finding a happy end
. Do I have that right?

Midonin

Witch Craft Works 07

Ooh, Snake-Kagari. Sure, Tanpopo and the gang were being hidden in the Takamiya house, but they never actually did anything. While Ayaka's mom is, like her daughter, a bit too prone to doing things her way. There's certainly some sense of stakes, but mostly the series is about each side trying to out-spectacle each other. And it's fun! That opening dream barely lasted for more than a minute and it got a laugh out of me.

cnet128

Banned
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren 7

Good episode. It's good to see the show continuing the focus on Yuuta and Rikka's relationship actually developing, and it's also good to see an episode actually giving Shichimiya plenty of focus, since she's been pretty neglected overall so far since her introduction.

Also, dat scene with Dekomori in bed. Hnnnnnnnnggg. And she was even
hoping that Nibutani had called her "just to hear her voice"! Those two really should just stop denying their urges and become out-and-out lovers at this point. I'd say "just kiss already", but they already did that =p

Gintama 177 "Phantom Troupe" Arc

Tsukyo offered puff puff service? What a deal!
Despite saving Yoshiwara, with the main power house down, things technically are getting worse than before since Hosen's death.

Feelings were involved. I don't mean "feels", I mean feelings.

I'm behind on a lot of shows from the last couple of seasons, and now I'm about to fall even further behind as I bought all of Utena while at Katsucon last weekend and need to finish the 2nd half of Votoms. Those are taking priority...more or less.

Gintama 178 Yoshiwara in Flames 2 Arc

Wait, WHY wasn't this called Yoshiwara in Flames? This has more fire than the last one! Hell! There's even commentary on burning the place down! THERE WAS A FLASHBACK WITH THINGS BURNING!

More importantly, there was someone I never expected to see in a serious arc. I forgot his name because he hasn't been relevant for a while, but that other Ninja dude is back. Sachan weeps!

cajunator

Banned
I'm behind on a lot of shows from the last couple of seasons, and now I'm about to fall even further behind as I bought all of Utena while at Katsucon last weekend and need to finish the 2nd half of Votoms. Those are taking priority...more or less.

Utena is worth finishing first

Now that I'm back home, I thought I'd take a couple choice screenshots from the Fresh movie.

ibowbBYrulGQ53.jpg
it's not just you ..
they changed it after wards
Higurashi 25

wat

So
this is a time loop of the Endless Eight variety, created by Rika (being the reincarnation of the Shrine God) for the purpose of finding a happy end
. Do I have that right?

you're still missing some points but it's the general idea

Mr.Jeff

Oh, Corvo's going to be watching Kai? Hmm. I expect the crazy impressions to rapidly drop then. I really wish I could have stopped watching after the first series. At least the OP and ED songs were great.

Narag

GGG is expanded for tv broadcast and to tie into Betterman ... better. Just roll with the 8 ep OVA.

cnet128

Banned
Oh, Corvo's going to be watching Kai? Hmm. I expect the crazy impressions to rapidly drop then. I really wish I could have stopped watching after the first series. At least the OP and ED songs were great.

Now, now. Kai is great too in its own way. Minagoroshi-hen da bes. (I'm not biased as a diehard Satoko fan at all, I swear =p)

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha 6

A nice episode filled with friendship.

Also, I suddenly appreciate Maru-chan a whole lot more now I know she
writes yuri doujins and is a fellow fan of the Sumizome x Keiko pairing
=D

Strike Witches - 1-12 END
Now here's a show that likes to straddle the line between mildly amusing and a little boring. It's like taking a glimpse into the mind of a young boy, who knows way more World War II history facts than he should, right after hitting puberty. The main reason why I even checked this out to begin with was because I found its weird attention to historic detail coupled with the machinery angle across its expanded universe strangely appealing. Sadly, what I got wasn't as interesting as I'd hoped, but that didn't exactly come as a surprise either.

You can get an idea of what kind of a show Strike Witches is going to be almost immediately and it's not the kind that I normally go for. It's as pander-y a show as it gets; however, its fleeting moments of camaraderie were enough to string me along. I'd have liked to have seen it try to present some worldbuilding, such as if/how they're seen as outcasts, what the world is like outside of their base, and what the higher ups are like. I also wish it didn't approach everything about its setting and ideas in such a surface level way. But as it stands, Strike Witches was perfectly content with that and it ended up being something of a guilty pleasure for me. Dare I say it was pretty fun at times. And for a Gonzo show, it had some decent animation cuts and mechanical art here and there, so that was a welcome surprise.

If one good thing came from watching this, I've realized now that I should get around to watching Girls und Panzer sooner rather than later.

Mr.Jeff

Now, now. Kai is great too in its own way. Minagoroshi-hen da bes. (I'm not biased as a diehard Satoko fan at all, I swear =p)
Well in terms of explaining what's going on it does an alright job but the execution is sorely lacking since it removes most of the tension that was in the first series.

Also, I'm apparently the only one who hated Satoko and her whiny voice with a passion so maybe that doesn't help.

Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl Movie 4: The Ruler of Illusions, Zoroark:
lost_zps96c34b12.jpg

It's the reason we watch anime to begin with, right?
Well, that was quite good. I think it might have been a slight step down from the previous three movies, but it was still highly enjoyable, with all of the typical flairs that the Pokemon movies can pull off. The soundtrack was stellar, and the scenery was really engrossing. I absolutely loved the greenery focused Crown City, and I enjoyed seeing the moss and flowers growing all over the city.

My immediate thought when I began watching the movie was just how cute Zoroa is. Like, more than I can ever remember a Pokemon being in the films, and the story with Zoroa and Zoroark was really touching. I felt bad for them, and I was glad that they did get to reunite eventually. Kodai also made for a formidable villain, given just how evil he was.
Watching him torture Zoroark nearly to death at the end was really hard.
Taking a ruthless capitalist and giving him the ability to see the future makes for a pretty deranged and effective antagonist.

It's actually kind of impressive that they managed to fit so much into about 90 minutes, between Zoroa and Zoroark, the Legendary Dogs, Celebi, everything with Kodai, Kurt and Rioka, etc, and Shouko Nakagawa's annual pointless cameo role that doesn't actually contribute to the plot. The Rocket Gang didn't really do much, but I did really enjoy the final scene with them floating along the river and talking philosophically. It was a wonderful small moment to end the film on, and it summarized their characters really well. I was a little disappointed to not hear a full version of Saikou Everyday playing early in the film. I cant recall when exactly they stopped doing the full versions of openings in the movies (it must have been one of the previous two), but I miss that.

I was also amused to discover after finishing the movie that Celebi was voiced by Kugimiya. I'm now envisioning an alternate version of the movie where Celebi actually talked instead of just making grunts and calls and said "It's not like I saved your mother especially for you or anything, so don't get the wrong idea. Zoroa no baka."

scenery_zps809e96e6.jpg

I just really love the way the city looks

cnet128

Banned
Well in terms of explaining what's going on it does an alright job but the execution is sorely lacking since it removes most of the tension that was in the first series.

Also, I'm apparently the only one who hated Satoko and her whiny voice with a passion so maybe that doesn't help.

I think you should probably suffer for having such awful opinions.

Here, have some ear torture =p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom