• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gintama 166

You see, when two guys are handcuffed together, they have to plan how to strategically shit.... Japanese toilets being something else entirely... that' being said. I know Hijikata likes mayo on things, BUT HE EVEN PUTS MAYO IN HIS FUCKING COFFEE!?

RpRJfjM.jpg

RpRJfjM.jpg

RpRJfjM.jpg

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 15

Onpu is like, the :firehawk queen.

Glad that Hadzuki finally made an opportunity to tell her mom off. "She always used to listen to whatever I said! What happened?" How about she's not 5 anymore you dolt? Baaya running away from home was pretty funny though.

Aiko bailing out everybody forgetting about Mother's Day. Nice fucking going guys. At least Hana-chan came through. Why no ribbon flower for Pop though?

Gintama 167

It's like Gin totally gets me when it comes to his opinion on games.

There was some extra effort in the ED to reflect what happened in this episode, namely, Tama getting a virus, turning into a walking sprite

This looks like an arc I can get behind with.

GAOGAIGAR - 46

So at first I was all:
large.gif

When everybody got their asses handed to them and it looked like it was the end...

But then I was all:
gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

When the theme song started playing and all the hero robots gained Spiral Energy (I'm not calling it The Power).

CorvoSol

GAOGAIGAR - 46

So at first I was all:
large.gif

When everybody got their asses handed to them and it looked like it was the end...

But then I was all:
gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

When the theme song started playing and all the hero robots gained Spiral Energy (I'm not calling it The Power).

ZA POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Getter Robo 49

HOLY SHIT THEY ACTUALLY WON. I mean, I knew they would, but STILL.

Tokyo Ravens 19
So many tears. None from me. That grudge was held a little too long. I prefer the actual magic fights over the high school drama

Gintama 168

Whoa, there's two Gins! Oh boy! Twice the something!

That bias on whose the strongest. Clearly this means something else!

Feels like its been ages since we had DQ references up the wazoo.

If anything, I feel sad again because fuck you Square.

CorvoSol

Getter Robo 50

It was the day Emperor Gore finally grew a pair of balls and decided to actually try and fight the Getter Robo. He's still gonna get his ass handed to him because you're no match for Ryo, Hayato and Musashi.

Saki Episode of Side A 16

Neutralizing powers due to how deep you are in the mountains sounds like a terrifying power. Especially now the girls have to play normally and not use all their crazy powers.

zeroshiki

Getter Robo 50

It was the day Emperor Gore finally grew a pair of balls and decided to actually try and fight the Getter Robo. He's still gonna get his ass handed to him because you're no match for Ryo, Hayato and Musashi.

Was it only in Armageddon when they introduce Benkei?

DiGiKerot

Also, I'd like to say that Fafner is pretty much crap Sunrise decided to shit out to capitalize on Gundam SEED's popularity complete with Kira/Athrun clones and Hirai-faces.

Except Fafner was Xebec, rather than Sunrise, wasn't it?

As a first time player i can't ..she is part of "Ryugu Komachi" and i'm pretty sure i can't choose her on my first game.

You can't produce any of the Ryugu girls ever in the main mode, alas. PS3 players do, at least, get access to a short-story mode in which they can assist with their production. It's ot the same as being able to produce them in the full game, though.

Thanks. I guess I will try updating Adobe Flash again and see if any old versions are still in my HDD that should have been uninstalled already. Hopefully I can get that lone episode running soon.

Well, I have no idea what's going on with this one episode. Did all the steps Crunchyroll stated in the automated email and no change. I cannot believe all three computers I use are failing at loading this video. This is the last series in my Crunchyroll queue that is not a simulcast. All the other videos in queue, and episodes for Fortune Arterial in general, load just fine.

Gintama 169

King Gin is just butt mad that he only has one toy to protect in comparison to his outer self. They're both stupid either way.

FIREBANE KICK

Maybe it feels like we're progressing a bit quick, but I think it's due to both the last couple arcs being really long, as well as RPGs generally having a lot of fluff just to get you past the front gate.

Gazoinks

Gintama 50

Haha, wow this episode was amazing. This show does meta humor really well. So many spoofs. SO MANY. I can't even pick which one was the best, they were all great. Clever use of the (really good) new OP too. Also, that ED is pretty serious! I think I remember from Kirb's posts that the first serious arc is in the 50s, yeah?

Jarmel

Banned
Star Driver 11-

Hahahah Mrs. Watanabe trolling all along. Anyway this episode had a bit too much monologue going on, should have just let the scenes play it out instea of all the extra narration.

fertygo

Hunter X Hunter 117

Yeah the time progression is beyond bullshit lol
Only 3 minute pass?
Pretty sure its needed more than that for Gon's rage and Knuckle running 3 lap around the castle.
I don't know. I'm almost done with the last episode.

Move on to Getter Robo G, that's the one that have Benkei

Nordicus

Working!! 1-4

Wow, this a seriously good adaptation. At times I forget this was originally a 4-koma manga with very simple art. The voice actors are good, the timing of the jokes is great and the animation quality and art style are occasionally noticeably above what this show required to work. Fuck, Imami-san pulls out a Hajime no Ippo punch once in a while

Steins;Gate OVA and Movie
Just watched both tonight. That OVA was....not good. That's about all I have to say about that. On the other hand, the movie was fantastic. It started dragging like ass in the final 30 minutes, which is a shame, but overall I loved it. It was the satisfying conclusion to the show that the series didn't quite give me. I feel happy now, and I can go on living feeling like that world and story is finished.

Favorite movie moment:
Loved when Okabe scolded Suzuha for coming back in the time machine, and Kurisu for building the time leap. That entire scene was great in every aspect, and pretty damn touching. The music helped seal the deal.

CorvoSol

Star Driver 11-

Hahahah Mrs. Watanabe trolling all along. Anyway this episode had a bit too much monologue going on, should have just let the scenes play it out instea of all the extra narration.

Mrs. Watanabe is da best.

Getter Robo 51

I didn't realize it. I mean, who could've seen it. Hell, I don't even know if TTGL meant it. But this is just cruel, man. This is just. Holy crap. I think I need to go stare at a wall or something. I mean, not like this. This is just too cruel. Who could bear this up? How do you
sacrifice the most pure hearted member of the team
and in the same breath
announce that all his efforts, all these 50 episodes, and this final sacrifice of his
don't mean shit? How do you find the courage to pick that knife up, thrust it into the hearts of little boys everywhere, and twist with all your strength?

This is just . . . too cruel.

Gintama 170 Tama Quest Arc

I don't know why Kagura complained about being a sprite. She was already flat!

Well that's enough Dragon Quest references for one day. Fuck you Square

zeroshiki

Mrs. Watanabe is da best.

Getter Robo 51

I didn't realize it. I mean, who could've seen it. Hell, I don't even know if TTGL meant it. But this is just cruel, man. This is just. Holy crap. I think I need to go stare at a wall or something. I mean, not like this. This is just too cruel. Who could bear this up? How do you
sacrifice the most pure hearted member of the team
and in the same breath
announce that all his efforts, all these 50 episodes, and this final sacrifice of his
don't mean shit? How do you find the courage to pick that knife up, thrust it into the hearts of little boys everywhere, and twist with all your strength?

This is just . . . too cruel.

Whoops.

CorvoSol

Well now I know
why they're gonna need Benkei.

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

This fucking hurts. I mean, this isn't like Zeta Gundam where I didn't give a fuck that those people died in a blood bath and cheered for the death of one.

This is like if one day
Goofy died and Donald and Mickey are left screaming his name at the sunset, only to be told that Peg Leg Pete is going to be replaced with a much bigger evil, and Goofy's sacrifice means nothing.

Gazoinks

Bakemonogatari 8

Good arc, good ending,
surprisingly violent fight. Good thing Ararararararararararararararararararararararararararararararararagi's so durable.

I liked this arc, it was interesting how conflicted of a character Monkey was. Simultaneously the victim and the antagonist. Good times.
Also my favorite OP so far.

Link Man

Banned
Higurashi 23

Wow,
such a brutal episode, and yet, not very frightening. The first murder was clearly self-defense, and while the second murder was not, it at least sits in a morally grey area.

I guess this makes four distinct universes/timelines then. I wonder if they'll explain what is actually going on in this arc, being the finale of the season. In all honesty, it kind of feels like a visual novel (note: I've never played a visual novel, but did read a lot of Choose Your Own Adventure as a kid, and I've heard the two formats compared to each other).

Respect for Rena is rising.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bakemonogatari 8

Good arc, good ending,
surprisingly violent fight. Good thing Ararararararararararararararararararararararararararararararararagi's so durable.

I liked this arc, it was interesting how conflicted of a character Monkey was. Simultaneously the victim and the antagonist. Good times.
Also my favorite OP so far.

It seems to be a running joke (in a series built upon running jokes) that
Araragi is quite durable, but is never very good in a fight (with one notable exception in Monogatari Season 2)
. Also, get ready for next arc's OP, it's a fan favorite.

Gintama 171

Wait, I never asked for a Ramba Ral impersonation!

On the other hand, Katsura imitating Mickey Mouse is welcomed here! He has a child like wonder to him.

RIP hair.

Gintama 172

That was quite the interrogation
A smackdown so fierce that the Shinsengumi couldn't get it out of him. In fact, the punchline is that the prisoner wasn't actually a bad guy. Sogo got TROLLED! HAHAHAHAHA

Gintama 173

Two parts, both have Katsura. You should know how this goes down.

Him stealing the show. Although the first part did revolve around him and his original pet, Blalizabeth.
The fact that he's probably the most wanted man is the most damning thing about him.

Poor Sadaharu/Gin. You were violated by him.

Third floor, near the back.

Thanks. I'll check it out if it's still there when I go.

Yo! What happened to my fellow GAFfers who were watching Angel Beats and Clannad. Could've sworn that like 3 people were interested in starting Angel Beats, started it and had full intentions to continue watching it. Hmmm.... :,(

I'm gonna start Angel Beats after I finish TWGOK S2. Probably this weekend.

cnet128

Banned
Higurashi 25

HOLY SHIT.

HOLY SHIT.

HOLY SHIT.

HE REMEMBERS!!!!!!!!!

And I would like to take this opportunity to clarify the revelations delivered here, because while the original VN made it quite explicit, this adaptation left out most of the detail, and the nature of what exactly Keiichi
remembered
is quite easy to miss as a result.

In short,
yes, the whole of Onikakushi-hen was driven heavily by unreliable narrator. None of Keiichi's friends were ever out to get him, and most of the "horror" in that first arc was derived from his mounting paranoia making him take their innocent pranks for something far more sinister. The infamous ohagi actually just contained Tabasco sauce - he mistook the sting of it and the red colouring for blood and convinced himself that it contained a needle; it's only natural that he was never able to find the needle afterwards. And when he woke up to see Mion and Rena trying to "inject" him at the end right before he murdered them, there was never a syringe - it was just a marker pen that they were going to use to draw on him as the "penalty" for failing the challenge they had set him earlier.

Checking to see if the show was still good. And it seems like the Chimera Arc isn't, so I've decided to drop the show.

I was going to berate you for even considering the ridiculous notion of the Chimera Ant arc not being good, but it looks like the rest of the thread has already covered that quite thoroughly =p It's the best arc in the series.

Higurashi 26

WHAT.

WHAT. THAT'S NOT HOW YOU END THIS SHIT. THAT IS NOT HOW YOU JUST STOP A SHOW.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

C'mon, I've given you an outline of the series structure already, you should know this!

The Higurashi no Naku Koro ni anime covers the first four arcs (the "question" arcs) plus the first two of the "answer" arcs. Then you move on to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai which has one "introductory" episode, one anime-original arc that serves to flesh out some details that were skipped over in the original adaptation, and then the two final "answer" arcs.

And finally there's Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei, which is two episodes of hilarious hijinks and three episodes of an interesting epilogue story.

(Also: get ready for art shift!)

Fresh Precure 50 FINAL

I want some donuts now.

The fighting was nice and physical the way I like it in my Precure, although it was a shame there weren't very many really high-quality animation cuts. The endgame had some good stuff, especially after
the Cure Angel form appeared
, when there was an aerial battle that was basically Dragonball Z.

There were some good gags and jokes throughout, most of them coming from Wester's antics. You like him, you'll like Smile, which has three henchmen that are just as goofy.

Wester is great. Bring on Wolfrun! =p

Higurashi 23

Wow,
such a brutal episode, and yet, not very frightening. The first murder was clearly self-defense, and while the second murder was not, it at least sits in a morally grey area.

I guess this makes four distinct universes/timelines then. I wonder if they'll explain what is actually going on in this arc, being the finale of the season. In all honesty, it kind of feels like a visual novel (note: I've never played a visual novel, but did read a lot of Choose Your Own Adventure as a kid, and I've heard the two formats compared to each other).

Well, Higurashi was originally a series of visual novels, though not the kind with branching routes. But it's clear that the series took a fair amount of inspiration from that kind of format (and indeed the PS2 and DS adaptations do shift things around so that some of the arcs function as an actual branching route structure. Though admittedly it doesn't work that well because the conditions for entering some of the routes are so obscure >.>)

Fresh Precure the Movie! Omocha no Kuni wa Himitsu ga Ippai?!

Yaaaaaaay, I managed to fit a whole movie in before work! The downside of this is that since I'm at work now, I can't take tons of screenshots and gifs like I did with the last couple of movies I watched, but eh, this one wasn't quite as screenshot-worthy as those anyway.

Which isn't to say that I didn't enjoy it! The movie was pretty fun, and felt like a natural extension of the series. As I suspected,
the Cure Angel form did make its debut here, though only for Love. And after seeing how its special "attack" Precure Loving True Heart was used here to solve the movie's whole conflict peacefully by reminding all the bitter toys of how much the children really loved them, it makes even more sense how the upgraded version of that same "attack" was used at the end of the series proper to remind Chiffon of all their happy memories together and bring her back to her senses.

Honestly, this movie just felt like an embodiment of the sweet nature and belief in happiness overcoming all that defined Fresh Precure as a whole. The ending, with
the movie's Big Bad revealed to be an unloved teddy bear, and Love giving him to the cutest little girl you ever saw so that he could find happiness again
, was heartwarming in the best possible way, and Love's "happiness get" in that scene was one of the most satisfying uses of that catchphrase in the whole show. The closing shot of
her having lovingly sewn up her own stuffed rabbit
was just the icing on the cake.

Oh, and this movie also contained one other thing that never happened in the actual series but I wondered about as a possibility quite a few times:
Setsuna using her teleportation ability as an actual skill in battle. I always had a feeling that it had the potential to make her completely OP...turns out I was right =p

So! That's all of Fresh behind me, and now I can start Heartcatch this evening! I really hope it lives up to the hype, guys, because you haven't half hyped it to hell and back.

Nordicus

Working!! 5-9

I forgot Satou's crush was revealed and re-covered this early already. Fun, fun episodes thanks to some of the gags working better in proper motion. Inami finally fell in love with Takanashi, and she's now the cutest thing ever. However, it's also the most annoying thing ever, because I want it to bare fruit SO BAD, but it won't before the series is almost over, if even then
AgEBEaH.jpg

Takanashi's brooding big sister is second cutest. So adorably pathetic.
And finally there's Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei, which is two episodes of hilarious hijinks and three episodes of an interesting epilogue story.
Then there's Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira, which is half toxic filth, half plain alright.

cnet128

Banned
Then there's Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira, which is half toxic filth, half plain alright.

I watched the first episode of Kira and then couldn't bring myself to watch any more. I prefer to pretend it doesn't exist, since it's anime-original anyway and thus doesn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom