• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
What did Sav N Quit do?

The Melody of Oblivion 6

It's hard to put into words exactly why this show sucks. For starters character designs are atrocious. Added to that the plot is dull as fuck. Then there's the fact that the voice actors don't give a fuck, which makes sense, since the script is awful.

Frankly so far this whole thing has been a horribly animated excuse to draw lots of tits.

Dont worry it gets much worse.

Mad Bull 34 episode 2

The second I saw where he carried those grenades I knew this show wasn't a one hit wonder. It's a bit weird to see how sexist shows used to be, but I guess I haven't seen an old school show for a while.

CorvoSol

Mad Bull 34 episode 2

The second I saw where he carried those grenades I knew this show wasn't a one hit wonder. It's a bit weird to see how sexist shows used to be, but I guess I haven't seen an old school show for a while.

There were moments were Mad Bull was so sexist I couldn't help but laugh. I wonder if that isn't the point with Mad Bull, though.

84 names

96 strikes

This should just be the name of the next OT.

Kanon 10
1MSi4zb.jpg

Suddenly this show is supernatural out of left field.
It was a nice weird change of pace that brought forth the feels.
Atleast one mystery was solved.

there it is :D

Hahaha I knew it was something special when I saw it. And that's not even the whole show, I hope I see more of that.

There were moments were Mad Bull was so sexist I couldn't help but laugh. I wonder if that isn't the point with Mad Bull, though.

I'm sure it is. I mean this has pulp movie/grindhouse all over it. It's adorable, like seeing an old racist. I mean sure he/she is racist but knowing they come from a different time makes you laugh a bit.

Pani Poni Dash! 06

Yes. This is a screenshot from the episode.

I'm not even sure I can sum up what happened here. There's PE class and Rebecca gets a research room, but other than that...

I can see how they went from making this to making Hidamari Sketch as well when I see things like this:

Mad Bull 34 episode 3

Apparently, nails can be so sharp they can cut through a grown man's neck. We also got love rival, racist asian caricature accents (in anime it makes it especially funny) and more ridiculous scenes like a man lifting a tank. America.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Not necessarily. I have never been a fan of shows where girls are the majority of the cast with a few exceptions. I also have not been a fan of magical girl shows due to the stuff I've seen and it simply doesn't interest me for the most part. I'm not about to go watch a bunch of magical girl shows if I have no interest in it to begin with. When somebody recommends a show to me that could be classified as something I would hate, I end up liking it if it stands out in a way I enjoy it. Sorry if it's a genre you enjoy, I'm sure it has its appeal.

I acquired my tastes from experience and from the entertainment I found from them. It's not like I'm the only one who is wary about starting a show, western or eastern, in a particular genre. Example: I can't stand hyper british oscar bait movies. That's not a genre. But it should be.
This statement is fair, but then you go on like this...

If that's the case then it's hard to say as I enjoy shows for different reasons. Which probably means I could enjoy shows in genres I tend to stray away from if I knew about stand-out titles, but I don't actively go looking for shows there due to what I've seen before. I heard recommendations for Utena so that'll be my next visit to the 'magical girl' genre. As to a girl cast show, I can't think of many more I'd like to watch unless I completely missed one with great comedy. that doesn't revolve around 'we're so cute'. I should probably specify that by 'all girls cast' I tend to mean slice of life or school based shows.

If it's things I dislike, I guess from the top of my head it's cutesy friendship and the more moe-fied shows I've seen. I don't know what can be recommended to me in these genres and really don't know how to describe my preferences I guess.

I'm going around in circles lol

edit: either ways next I'm going with that Brain Powerd show to see if it's so bad it's good as I want it to be.
And it reveals you don't have a good grasp on the subject matter, which is more concerning than any difference in personal preference. It's like saying "I don't like cheese, because I no matter what kind I tried they all tasted bland and the plastic wrap on each slice is annoying".

All-girl or majority-girl cast shows are not all made the same. In fact, there are wide chasms to be found within this grouping. There are groups of girls assembled for the benefit of the male viewer and there are groups of girls assembled because the show has a story to tell about them. While this seems like a male-audience/female-audience distinction it's not that simple. The "moe-fied" aspect you talk about is definitely a male-demographic motivation, and you see the same motivation expressed in many harem shows. However, Madoka(which you liked) was a show made for a primarily male audience and provided more that cute eye candy, though it's hardly unique in being dark.

When you push aside the various waifu booster pack shows, there is real characterization to be found.

And it reveals you don't have a good grasp on the subject matter, which is more concerning than any difference in personal preference. It's like saying "I don't like cheese, because I no matter what kind I tried they all tasted bland and the plastic wrap on each slice is annoying".

All-girl or majority-girl cast shows are not all made the same. In fact, there are wide chasms to be found within this grouping. There are groups of girls assembled for the benefit of the male viewer and there are groups of girls assembled because the show has a story to tell about them. While this seems like a male-audience/female-audience distinction it's not that simple. The "moe-fied" aspect you talk about is definitely a male-demographic motivation, and you see the same motivation expressed in many harem shows. However, Madoka(which you liked) was a show made for a primarily male audience and provided more that cute eye candy, though it's hardly unique in being dark.

When you push aside the various waifu booster pack shows, there is real characterization to be found.

Going with your cheese example it's more like "I don't like cheese because the ones I've had I didn't like due to one reason or another" and somebody said "but you haven't tried all cheese, there's some really good ones"

Maybe there are, and if you have suggestions I'll gladly give them a try as long as it doesn't boil down to moe humor. But there's a chance it won't change my perception since the majority I've seen listed or attempted to watch ended up being waifu booster packs, if I may take your words lol. So I guess my issue was bad experiences which lead into disinterest and generalization.

I attempted to watch Azumanga Daioh, which I've heard has great characterization for a comedy show. But I unfortunately couldn't get too far as the show simply bored me after so long since the humor failed me. Maybe my issue is using MAL as my similar anime to [blank] searcher, but when I attempt to search for shows similar to those I liked that happened to have all girls cast I got stuff like Lucky Star recommended to me. I also got other shows like And Yet The Town Moves, which was damn good. But more often than not that's the case when I attempted to watch something.

Theonik

No, actual BBC produced gag dub. It was for a Japanese themed night, and I think Matt Lucas voiced the main character (but don't quote me on that). But yeah, deffo BBC.
It wasn't really a BBC dub though as in t was just a one-off thing that was produced for shits and giggles.

CorvoSol

I'm sure it is. I mean this has pulp movie/grindhouse all over it. It's adorable, like seeing an old racist. I mean sure he/she is racist but knowing they come from a different time makes you laugh a bit.

Yeah. You know it's wrong, but you can't stop watching.

The better question would be who isn't

Uchip
Novid

Mad Bull 34 episode 3

Apparently, nails can be so sharp they can cut through a grown man's neck. We also got love rival, racist asian caricature accents (in anime it makes it especially funny) and more ridiculous scenes like a man lifting a tank. America.

Not only are they sharp enough to slice through a man's neck, they're somehow angled just right to remove the front of Perrine's shirt and bra without so much as scratching her bosom. The physics escape me but I bet their flipping amazing equations.

Kino's Journey 11

"You could have stopped me if you had wanted to. Why didn't you?"
"Because I am not a god."

GAT DANG. Kino dropping nuclear burns on people left and right in this episode.

Phi Brain Season 3 Episode 22

I enjoyed the puzzle and such it was rather intense
though would have been a bit more surprised if the rising death count hadnt been spoiled by a previous unmarked spoiler earlier in the thread. My precious Gammon why did he have to go he was my default with Kaito and the one I thought would come out tied with him in the end for the final round. The early way they let Raetsel win was just cruel and then rolling to escape being crushed, ugh how many times is she going to escape death this season?! I thought he would become phi brain and then do lots of time altering like a PhiBrain;Gate of sorts.

Shower scene in the PV, yes please!

cajunator

Banned
Going with your cheese example it's more like "I don't like cheese because the ones I've had I didn't like due to one reason or another" and somebody said "but you haven't tried all cheese, there's some really good ones"

Maybe there are, and if you have suggestions I'll gladly give them a try as long as it doesn't boil down to moe humor. But there's a chance it won't change my perception since the majority I've seen listed or attempted to watch ended up being waifu booster packs, if I may take your words lol. So I guess my issue was bad experiences which lead into disinterest and generalization.

I attempted to watch Azumanga Daioh, which I've heard has great characterization for a comedy show. But I unfortunately couldn't get too far as the show simply bored me after so long since the humor failed me. Maybe my issue is using MAL as my similar anime to [blank] searcher, but when I attempt to search for shows similar to those I liked that happened to have all girls cast I got stuff like Lucky Star recommended to me. I also got other shows like And Yet The Town Moves, which was damn good. But more often than not that's the case when I attempted to watch something.

Have you seen Haibane Renmei? I dont remember.

Yeah. You know it's wrong, but you can't stop watching.

Uchip
Novid

Not only are they sharp enough to slice through a man's neck, they're somehow angled just right to remove the front of Perrine's shirt and bra without so much as scratching her bosom. The physics escape me but I bet their flipping amazing equations.

Kino's Journey 11

"You could have stopped me if you had wanted to. Why didn't you?"
"Because I am not a god."

GAT DANG. Kino dropping nuclear burns on people left and right in this episode.

2 more left. I wish there was so much more.

Have you seen Haibane Renmei? I dont remember.

Nah, but it's high in my list. Looking forward to it. I guess I should specify again that usually when I dislike an all-girls cast show is because of the school setting and/or moe slice of life humor. If it's something serious I don't mind and in fact look forward to it. I'll go ahead and give a read to Sora No Woto to see what it's about since it apparently struck some nerves on people I wasn't willing to give it a chance.

Mad Bull 34 episode 4: END

We need to make a villain for a show set in America

What do Americans like from the 80's?

Predator? We should make Predator the villain

Don't be ridiculous, we'll get sued before it even releases.

How about a predator... that looks like an alien from Alien?

Now you're talking. Now pass me the cocaine. I'm going to sniff it off this electric guitar that's on top of a naked woman covered in snakes.

This show. It's like they took everything I love about American stereotypes and media, and put it into one thing with the ridiculous japanese setting. It's like Inferno Cop if it was milder and set in America. Best suggestion of the week for me in terms of just pure entertainment. Thanks AnimeGAF.

cajunator

Banned
Nah, but it's high in my list. Looking forward to it. I guess I should specify again that usually when I dislike an all-girls cast show is because of the school setting and/or moe slice of life humor. If it's something serious I don't mind and in fact look forward to it. I'll go ahead and give a read to Sora No Woto to see what it's about since it apparently struck some nerves on people I wasn't willing to give it a chance.

Mad Bull 34 episode 4: END

We need to make a villain for a show set in America

What do Americans like from the 80's?

Predator? We should make Predator the villain

Don't be ridiculous, we'll get sued before it even releases.

How about a predator... that looks like an alien from Alien?

Now you're talking. Now pass me the cocaine. I'm going to sniff it off this electric guitar that's on top of a naked woman covered in snakes.

This show. It's like they took everything I love about American stereotypes and media, and put it into one thing with the ridiculous japanese setting. It's like Inferno Cop if it was milder and set in America. Best suggestion of the week for me in terms of just pure entertainment. Thanks AnimeGAF.

Another show that goes all AMERICA is Gunsmith Cats.
Which by the way you should watch.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Kara no Kyoukai REWATCH 1-5

I remembered that I hated certain episodes and like certain ones. I thought episode 1 would be shitty but for some reason I really liked it this go around. CG water still sucks and looks really weird. Episode 2 was.... boring? Still the same as I remembered it. Episode 3 was creepy but it was still relatively boring for the most part and the conclusion is ass like I remembered it. I thought I liked episode 4 but after watching it again it's not that great... at all.... Episode 5 is 10x more awesome than I remember it to be. Time to watch the shitty episode 6 and very interesting episode 7.

Mikakukin 9

Hakuya's reactions are still amazing. We get development in the romance department, which outside of Hakuya and the fantasy portion it's the reason I'm watching this show. Benio might not have been as annoying this episode, but that last scene with her means that she's going to hold back what I like so it's back to disliking her imouto obsessed character.

Another show that goes all AMERICA is Gunsmith Cats.
Which by the way you should watch.

I think this is the one people told me to watch due to the jazzy OP. If it also has 'Murica, I'll give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kara no Kyoukai REWATCH 1-5

I remembered that I hated certain episodes and like certain ones. I thought episode 1 would be shitty but for some reason I really liked it this go around. CG water still sucks and looks really weird. Episode 2 was.... boring? Still the same as I remembered it. Episode 3 was creepy but it was still relatively boring for the most part and the conclusion is ass like I remembered it. I thought I liked episode 4 but after watching it again it's not that great... at all.... Episode 5 is 10x more awesome than I remember it to be. Time to watch the shitty episode 6 and very interesting episode 7.

Which one was the movie with the Shiro clone? 5? If so that one and the one before Mirai Fukuin are the best ones for me. Is episode 6 the one that's basically "the adventures of the brother complex sister!"? If so I just skipped that one after many suggestions.

CorvoSol

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 10

Oh hello, Smokey. You are now Black Speedwagon. Speaking of whom,
SPEEDWAGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So this Joseph Joestar kid. He's not a Joentleman like his Joempa was, but he also isn't as gullible, either. Fricking "I just shot you full of so much lead but I know you're not dead not get up and fight me IRL." GOSH DANG. This Joseph Joestar kid. Gonna lay the smack down, he is. And make fabulous, inexplicable poses at the same time.

cajunator

Banned
Mikakukin 9

Hakuya's reactions are still amazing. We get development in the romance department, which outside of Hakuya and the fantasy portion it's the reason I'm watching this show. Benio might not have been as annoying this episode, but that last scene with her means that she's going to hold back what I like so it's back to disliking her imouto obsessed character.

I think this is the one people told me to watch due to the jazzy OP. If it also has 'Murica, I'll give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.

Which one was the movie with the Shiro clone? 5? If so that one and the one before Mirai Fukuin are the best ones for me. Is episode 6 the one that's basically "the adventures of the brother complex sister!"? If so I just skipped that one after many suggestions.

It takes place in Chicago and the two girls are obsessed with firearms and explosives. Its so much fun. Ive watched it a hundred times at least (not exaggerating).

It takes place in Chicago and the two girls are obsessed with firearms and explosives. Its so much fun. Ive watched it a hundred times at least (not exaggerating).

I just saw a list of characters and one is named 'Ken Taki'

That reason alone is worth watching the show. Japanese obsession with KFC has never really clicked with me. I mean KFC over there is like what McDonalds is everywhere else in the world. If not worst. Are there no other chicken places in Japan? Do they love the Colonel?

CorvoSol

but G Gundam

AU Gundam was probably created in response to the fact that UC Gundam sucked. It's kinda like how when Jesus was born the Jews were being awful people. When Gundam's paragon was born, it was because its dark age had begun. I mean which Gundam came out in the 90s? VICTORY?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Kara no Kyoukai recalled out summer - Extra Chorus

That was bullshit. Why did this have a very different style from Mirai Fukuin? Why did the second part of that story suck ass? Why are they forcefully making Shiki super tsun tsun? The fuck is this shit?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Let's make my point more clear: when you see "seinen", it's not "shoujo". Demographics matter in anime.

Narag

AU Gundam was probably created in response to the fact that UC Gundam sucked. It's kinda like how when Jesus was born the Jews were being awful people. When Gundam's paragon was born, it was because its dark age had begun. I mean which Gundam came out in the 90s? VICTORY?

0083, F91, Victory, G, Wing, 08th MS Team, X, Endless Waltz, Turn A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom