• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Witch Craft Works - Episode 7

Wow. This show is just as crazy as I remember. It's impressive how many random gags they can fit into an episode while actually connecting everything into a linear narrative. This show is definitely one of the funniest shows this season. Both WCW and Hozuki are hilarious, but in very different ways. While Hozuki uses references and pop culture for most of the jokes, WCW is pure Mizushima magic with physical and out of context gags executed with amazing timing.

I almost died at the opening joke in the episode, but by the end of the episode I was no longer a living human being.

Witch Craft Works - Episode 8

Aaaaaaaaaand the episode right after managed to top the the previous episode in every possible way. Probably the best episode yet. Random, crazy, creative, and just filled with unexpected stuff. The Kagari flashback was pretty well done, and reinforces the fact that everyone in the world is kinda insane, but the actual "plot" element was even better. I don't even want to describe any of it. Anyone who has watched the episode KNOWS. Anyone who hasn't watch it now! Lol.

/dead

/DEAD

/DEAD
I feel the same way ...

I also feel like Witch craft work would have been much much better ( near AOTY status ) if it didn't have those rough CGs at times ( it was especially obvious in the first 3 eps )

Y'all can give me all the disapproving looks you like, but it won't change the fact that I'm right. Moonlight is pretty great as an unstoppable force of overpowered destruction on the battlefield, but as a character she's kind of bland and can't begin to compare to the wonders of even Tsubomi or Itsuki, let alone Erika.

*** increase the disaproving looks *****

Moonlight is the mentor Cure partner you didn't realise you needed until she was there .. Anywya you still have a couple of episodes to change your mind :)

I won't deny that it is a significant contributing factor (though there are two "li"s in "lolilicious", and at any rate it's a little too specific a descriptor here. I think plain "cuteness" would be more appropriate.)

It's hard to take any Heartcatch opinions seriously from someone who also doesn't prefer Tomorrow Song!

So true

Gazoinks

You know, Samurai Flamenco and
Madoka
are pretty similar being that they both
mislead the viewer into thinking that they're going to be a show about one thing only to do a huge tone shift with the ending of one episode later down the line that changes everything.

Only in Madoka, it was a dark and serious shift. In Samurai Flamenco, it's a frigging hilarious shift.

And in Samurai Flamenco
EVERY EPISODE IS MADOKA EPISODE 3.

cajunator

Banned
From the New World 7

Okay I'll admit I was being a bit harsh. (Except for the first two episodes and episode 5)

This episode very nonchalantly pieced together the fragments that the story was throwing out and some of the smaller questions I had. I still have a few lingering questions but it's normal for a show to have a few so they can be answered later. Saki not
remembering her mantra
was convenient to create tension for the last few episodes. I can deal. Last few minutes really helped.

See. I wasn't asking for a 10 minute long explanation by a narrator about what was going on. All it needed was a few conversations that nonchalantly explains the rituals, how they can use their powers and use the monster rats to flesh out this new world.

And dat cliffhanger is definitely ominous.

Starting to realize how much I like the ED's song.

It does have an incredible ED.

Tear-resistant? So either to stop you from ripping it when your favourite girl loses or to prevent you from ruining it by weeping into it. Either way works.

Smart thinking.

This is not an issue because best girl won and it wasnt even close.

Andrew J.

The best Cure of all time is obviously Berry. There are others who are great, but all are in some ways...imperfect. They are not knpk. Only mktn is knpk.

I think the next 'big' con is Anime Boston on 3/21-3/23.

The next big one I can think of is Sakura-Con in mid April but I guess announcements can still be made in one of the smaller cons

I think the con I have the most interest in about hearing news from is AnimeJapan, which is happening on 3/22-3/23 since it's another big con happening in Tokyo.

SDR2 announcement!

OH so next week we'll know if we'll have mekaku here, cant wait for
Bij7VuwCcAAwLWm.png

AnimeJapan, I wish I was there for the concerts, Faylan singing even. But K/Fafner is what I most want, then that new unnamed? summer anime with Mamoru Miyano.

CorvoSol

You should have realized that Araki cares not how silly his musical references are back when Robert EO Speedwagon was introduced.

Yeah but I mean, at least that was the vaguest of attempts at disguising that.

This is just plain old "MASTER ACDC!" Can't wait till someone marries a girl named Pink Floyd.

Gazoinks

Yeah but I mean, at least that was the vaguest of attempts at disguising that.

This is just plain old "MASTER ACDC!" Can't wait till someone marries a girl named Pink Floyd.

Believe me, it gets even sillier. Just wait for some of the character names in Part 3.

I think the official translation as of All-Star Battle is actually Esidisi, so there's that.

Articalys

Kon (Tokyo Ravens character)
Kon (Bleach character)
Inari Konkon (show)
K-On! (show)
[Recommended additions follow]
Satoshi Kon (director)
Kanokon (show)

What else can I add to this list...
I think the official translation as of All-Star Battle is actually Esidisi, so there's that.
I'll be honest, for a long time I was a holdout insisting to call them ACDC, Cars, etc. but recently I've come to terms that Esidisi/Wamuu/Kars sound better.

sonicmj1

So I guess I should give WCW a chance. It just looked like forgettable harem when it came out.

This was my impression as well. If that's not the case, I'm willing to take the dive too.

The emphasis is less on harem, since the female lead has an unchallengeable claim on her man, and more on ridiculous comedy, with dashes of larger plot.

The structure's more conventional, but you could kind of compare it to World Conquest.

e_i

Seitokai Yakuindomo episode 10

Really, no shuttlecock joke? You disappoint me SYD. Hata's grin is awesome and creepy at the same time.

sonicmj1

Okay, Wham maybe. Cars is kinda pushing it.

But MASTER ACDC?

Some people will tell you that actually his name is spelled in Katakana kind of differently from ACDC so you should call him Esidici (also Wammu and Kars), but those people are dumb. Lean into that shit.

Branduil

Some people will tell you that actually his name is spelled in Katakana kind of differently from ACDC so you should call him Esidici (also Wammu and Kars), but those people are dumb. Lean into that shit.

Are these the same people who claim Guts' name is Gattsu?

CorvoSol

Melody of Oblivion 9

SARUSARUSARUSARU

Holy shit the translation for this show is SO FUCKING LAZY. You legit aren't gonna translate that? And that shitty song about fools.

"OH EXCUSE ME YOUNG MAN I SEE YOU ARE A WARRIOR OF MELOS ON ACCOUNT OF YOUR PURPLE HAIR AND BASICALLY BEING A MAIN CHARACTER."

Guh. Not only is there no real meaning to this show, there's no real aim, either. Bocca is all "I'm a warrior of Melos and what that means is nothing!" But his goal is . . . ? To defeat the monsters? He hasn't even fought a monster yet. And we haven't even seen one yet.

WILL YOU ABANDON YOUR NOT QUEST TO WORK FOR ME? I THINK HIGHLY OF YOU!

When did Bocca even become a Warrior of Melos, anyway? I mean, in the first episode he's some dumb shit trying to hit on a girl whose name he does not know, and in the second he's like "I am an official Warrior of this ancient group of Warriors!"

GGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

People just say words for no reason. And using a play for that reason in the vague attempt to foreshadow shit is the most hackneyed, Junior High level attempt at symbolism and foreshadowing an anime can stoop to.

duckroll

Tonari no Hozuki-kun - Episode 7

FoCm5OR.jpg

iunderstoodthatreference.gif

I <3 Hozuki. It's such a wacky show about hell. The two stories in this episode were really well done. Obviously any gag about women doing torturing in hell would invoke S&M jokes. I love how out of nowhere there's a cameo gag from the director's previous show too. They even got the leads to voice the same characters. Impressive! The acupuncture story was good too, but I totally lost it while Hozuki was about to impale the shit out of Enma, and Shiro just waltzes in singing some stupid song. Loooooooool.

Watching Hozuki and WCW makes for a pretty great comedy combo. So much fun.

Nafe

Robot Girls Z

jneZ4zsXF4fOy.jpg

Top Left: Getter Robo
Bottom Left: Steel Jeeg
Center: Mazinger Z
Top Right: Grendizer
Bottom Right: Great Mazinger

I think I got those names right,haha. I haven't seen any of these series or really know anything about them other than hearing of them. I think most of what I have seen or heard of them came from the anime threads here as well actually.

When it was first announced that Toei was doing this show, Robot Girls Z, and people saw the anthropomorphized girl versions of the robots, the reactions seemed fairly negative that why were they ruining these great shows in the need to make "moe" versions of...pretty much everything,haha.

It seems there was a quick turn around though, if anyone was a detractor anyway, and personally I'd have to agree that the show was pretty entertaining. Not having seen the original shows I missed probably most of the in jokes there but the show was pretty fun I thought with its self aware humour and everything. It even seemed to make fun of the whole "Toei spoilers" for the last episode where the title was something like "The Robot Girls Will Die". Something to that effect I anyway. The "trial version" bit was pretty funny as well. I wound up feeling bad for both villain and hero characters when they got beat up throughout the show though.

If anyone is looking for a show to just wind down and have some fun with some time then I think this one did a good job. The girl with the little snake plushie hand-puppets is pretty cute too. :)

CorvoSol

Like, what the fuck even IS Melos? What is A Melos? He's always like "Ring out the Melody! FOR MY MELOS!" But what the fuck does that even mean?

Articalys

Robot Girls Z is what, about the same total running time as three episodes of a normal show? If it really does work even without being familiar with all the old-school mecha series I might watch it.

Theonik

Someone who clearly doesn't appreciate the greatest mecha anime of our time.

Although it could have used some SYMMETRICAL DOCKING.
Sadly GaoGaiGar is a Sunrise property not Toei. so that won't happen.

obot Girls Z is what, about the same total running time as three episodes of a normal show? If it really does work even without being familiar with all the old-school mecha series I might watch it.
It's about 3x3 7 minute episodes so yeah just about it. Maybe a touch more as some the mini-episodes vary.
There is also 3 more mini episodes one for each volume of the BDs.

Pretty much, it's nonsensical fun akin to something like Muromi-san.
Except funnier and devoid of Yecchi

Saint Seiya Omega Episode 94

An episode on steel saints was extremely boring and unnecessary 94 episodes into the series. The only steel saint anyone cares about is Subaru, so going to the numerous others was a waste of time.

Nafe

Robot Girls Z is what, about the same total running time as three episodes of a normal show? If it really does work even without being familiar with all the old-school mecha series I might watch it.

Yeah, I think it would be a little bit longer than three episodes. I actually still have to watch the little preview episode that they did to start with. I think it was about four or five minutes long.

It worked for me anyway. Naturally some references will be lost but most others seemed vague enough, or they were common enough tropes, that as long as you've watched a bit of anime or just know what a super robot is, then it should be mostly fine.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
sekai seifuki bouryaku no zvezda 09
huge drop in quality from both the previous episode and maybe even the low point of the series. this episode was hard to make sense of and broken up without any flow or pay off to most of the beats. really lousy action sequences too. hot springs ruin everything.

Finally got the Amazon Japan order confusion fixed. Would have been nice to know that listing a PO Box can cancel an order...

Anyway, I want to pick up Ouran High School Host Club and maybe Soul Eater. Should I order the Blu-ray or the DVD? I ask this because Ouran is a upscale and I hear Soul Eater is actually 540p. The prices are the same either way, I just want to own the best quality release.

Midonin

This is a bit obscure, but with the sympathetic villains and destructive heroes, RGZ gave a similar vibe to Akahori Gedou Hour Lovege, with the Robot Girls in the Love Pheromone role.

Syrinx

Magic Knight Rayearth 13

That was a rather sudden heel-face turn by Caldina. Kinda disappointed, think they could've done some interesting things with her powers of illusion and mind control and shit. So who's Zagato going to use to do his dirty work now?

Kuroko no Basket 1-25 + S2 1-22:
kuroko_zpsd2d5f504.png

I had my doubts that will I enjoy this as I had not watched sports anime before and basketball is one of those few sports that I really don't follow at all but damn this is great. Dat tension during the matches. Gets my blood pumping. Also got me really miss highschool days and our floorball team. Team sports are awesome.

Nafe

Gintama

Benizakura Arc (Starts at Episode 58)

jIVc1XPVZYIFq.jpg

Gintoki can look cool when he wants to.

Seeing other people talk about Gintama and they were mentioning this story arc or that story arc and I wasn't exactly sure how they arrived at certain names or knew which episodes specifically and such but the show specifically tells you "Benizakura Story Arc Begins Next Episode",haha.

I guess this is the first of the bigger more serious story arcs in Gintama. The music gets much more serious and ominous sounding during previews and such. Like most of Gintama before this I enjoyed it. Even though in general it's more serious, the show still manages to do a pretty good job with its balancing act of switching between the serious and lighthearted tones. The fight at the story arcs conclusion had some nice animation as well, with Gintoki doing some flips and dodges, which made it even more exciting to watch. Overall it had pretty much the whole package with some nice surprises along the way. Regarding Gintoki and his fight though
either he didn't get stabbed as bad as the show kind of lets on or he recovered too quickly for the second go around. I know the show only has so much time to do things but as a minor complaint his healing seemed really quick and made the attack seem more trivial where it initially seemed pretty serious.

I'd also like to know more about Takasugi and his past that was presented here. Otherwise his motivations feel a bit more on the petty or thin side. Basically just someone who generally hates the world and wants to burn it down.

Entertaining overall and I like how the show tells you to go back to thinking less seriously for the next episode because the serious arc is over and it's more or less back to "the usual" Gintama,haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom