• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop tying to throw me off with that Avatar, m_night.

Huh?

--------------------------------

From the New World 5

Young teens getting hot and bothered. Running around doing basically nothing. Still no explanation for this world or why everything is the way it is in sight. Animation was absolute crap in the first 5 minutes. Red flame became blue flame. Yeah and Angel Beats animation gets beat up on when people recommend this. Lol.

Still completely lost.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'll just keep this warm in the oven for when you're done.
300802d1360010756-surveyor-tim-pitts-not-recommended-eat-crow.jpg

Aikatsu! 57

The only time Seira showed up was on video feed. She wasn't actually in the episode. This is clearly the best Season 2 episode so far.

It's weird. Like... given how Aoi and Ichigo is, you would think Ran would be the boring one, but the way she's executed just makes her function extremely well in her own group, and thus isn't boring. Whereas Seira is also boring, and she is. She's the winner of the boring 2, but that might as well be losing as well.

Ran is also the first one to get a Constellation Dress based on the brand she likes the most, because while Ichigo has one, it's not of Angely Sugar (which I'm expecting soon).

Something that has crossed my mind is that they're 3rd years. IN the first season, they were first years for half of the show, and 2nd years for the latter half (then a time skip happened). So it's like... there's going to be a big shift in the second half. We have Sakura still there, as well as Seira and the gang being ever more prominent. Or focusing on them being full time idols. How is Sunrise going to pull this? I forgot.

Mature

Huh?
From the New World 5

Young teens getting hot and bothered. Running around doing basically nothing. Still no explanation for this world or why everything is the way it is in sight. Animation was absolute crap in the first 5 minutes. Red flame became blue flame. Yeah and Angel Beats animation gets beat up on when people recommend this. Lol.

Still completely lost.
You need to learn to go with the flow, baby.

jman2050

I actually kinda like dubTaiga. But JYB is totally just using his JYB voice lol.

dubTaiga is probably the best of the lot, surprisingly enough.

Although not being able to unhear Kyubey in Taiga is a distraction I wasn't expecting to exist two days ago.

cajunator

Banned
After I hold up my end of the deal on all the anime I must watch then I will. Like I said just make sure you PM me a link to the show so I can watch.

But right now my focus is:

From the New World
Monster
Engaged to the Unifentified
Haibane Renmei
Tatami Galaxy
Golden Time

These are great choices. I dont think Scrapped Princess is currently streaming anywhere.
The DVD set shouldnt be expensive though.

Holy shit, they're actually dubbing it after all these years

I love your avatar :)

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren 10

JC5UOOO.gif

Shichimiya cuteness levels: critical. Dammit you know that's my weak point.

I find myself almost actually considering supporting her over Rikka. Even though nobody wants that. Even she doesn't want that.

This is what I do when I hug my penguins.

eB3o1HZ.jpg
Ebr4lNK.jpg
0uHIzsd.jpg
HLewdUk.jpg

Not a single male character in sight.

Maken-Ki! Two 9

Possibly may have just witnessed what SDBurton's ideal ending would be after seeing the yuri couple having their own wedding and baby ending.

Not the real thing, mind you.

Freaking 3D Twister with those provocative posses that make me question if I'm allowed to post them or not. Even more so knowing neither of them are guys.

cnet128

Banned
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha 9

Shit is going down in this joint. It was pretty damn painful watching
how things played out with the love letter misunderstandings both because there was no way for Inari to explain what had really happened, and because she was still feeling so guilty about accidentally-on-purpose losing the letter in the first place that she couldn't even try to properly defend herself. But thankfully Momoyama-san herself came to the rescue in the end. Whew.

On the Uka-sama side of things, it feels like things are moving pretty fast and I wouldn't be remotely surprised if the anime is rushing the material to get to some kind of big climax next episode. Because next episode is the last episode. Because Kadokawa can go screw themselves.

You need to learn to go with the flow, baby.

I refuse.

I just want to know. At least the anime I recommend explain themselves in some capacity. You understand their plight and understand what must be done.

It tells it's story like FFXIII. It just expects you to just know about half the things they are talking about and know the terminology. It just expects you to accept things as they are even if they don't explain it to you. Not trying to nitpick but I would like to have some semblance of what's going on. Maybe it'll be in this next episode I am watching. But at some point they do need to explain it. Until then I will be lost and will continue to point out how I am lost.

wonzo

Banned
Ah yes. Right on time. I was starting to wonder where you guys were.

He took on my Clannad Challenge since he's never watched Clannad or After Story before. In exchange I am to watch the two anime he has recommended me all the way through. If you guys have never watched you're more then welcome to join the challenge. :)
I actually plan on watching every Key adaptation but I probably won't get around to Clannad for a while so I don't think it'd be fair to do a watch bet right now.

cajunator

Banned
From the New World 4

Nooooooooo!!!

You were so close in actually explaining what's going on in this damn show. But now I am completely in the dark again. F.
I think this show has given up on explaining itself. It just wants you to just accept what's going on.

Get used to this feeling. also add in some dread and probably anger.

Theonik

Chirico Cuvie a.k.a Rambo, just chilling out:

http://lecallaile.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/vot.jpg

Remember, you have to watch every next episode preview. Don't miss any! Best narrator ever.
Listen to this man. Also I thought Corvo had seen VOTOMS. I remember he was one of the people urging me on when I was watching?

Voiced by Miyukichi. Once again, fuck me.
Reap Zach.

Ok, but what's with his pants?
Everyone in this show has Chun-li thighs. Wait till you meet Kokona.

Narag

I actually plan on watching every Key adaptation but I probably won't get around to Clannad for a while so I don't think it'd be fair to do a watch bet right now.

Missing out on a chance to issue the wonzo Kingdom challenge in reply.

duckroll

Inari, Konkon, Dramaz - Episode 5-6

There's something appealing and yet annoying about how this series handles dramatic stuff. On one hand, it feels somewhat nostalgic in an oldschool way, probably because I don't watch a lot of shows like this anymore. I'm not sure if there's much stuff out there these days which is like this, but it certainly reminds me of much older stuff in the 90s in how it handles a mix of relationship comedy as well as somewhat contrived drama based on heightened emotions and misunderstandings.

Having said that, this was a fairly nice character development arc which definitely needed to happen. By the end of it, it feels pretty good to see how the characters are a little more honest about themselves and how they feel about each other. I got a few chuckles out of Inari's parents too, especially their comments about Touka and his blog. Lulz. I just wish sometimes that the dramatic scenes were handled with a little bit of restrain instead of feeling like they're "the moment" in a Korean drama or something. I guess that's part of the direction though, which clearly works for the genre it's in, but I do find the extreme use of the camera and the music at times to be grating.

I hope in the remaining few episodes, SDBurton's dream comes true! <3

From the New World 6

Yup. The show doesn't give a hoot anymore. Saki just
gives Satoru his powers back inexplicably but she can't do it for herself nor can Satoru do it for her
.... for whatever reason. This lead to like a few minutes of Satoru being a badass. So much for being on a school trip.

The only thing explained so far is that they are somewhere in
Asia and what happened in the past with "PK"
. But they are not explaining what is currently/present day what is going on, what the rituals themselves do and what is up with this society. They will probably answer the first and last parts but I don't think they will ever get to the second question.

Characters are cool. Animation is pretty good when it's not sucking. Other then that the plot is nowhere to be found. Almost no exposition. It's a little frustrating.

Pani Poni Dash! 20

It's not the voltage that kills you, it's err... a combination of ampere, resistance and voltage.

Shrooms from space can make you seem more normal. Too bad they're evil and want to take over the world. If Godzilla and a robot can become friends, why can't all of us?

CorvoSol

Princess Tutu 5

Koji Kabututu goes to Librardos Island to save Sayaka Yumewtwo from Baron Faksura and Dr. Hell. Some perplexing and uncomfortable realizations abound as it dawns on the viewer that, in addition to changing her hairstyle, making her more graceful and intelligent, Duck's transformations also cause her to fill out her ballerina get up a little more. This information goes into the dark locker marked "do not inquire further."

And also there's this bizarre thing going on where everybody is really possessive of this pale bishie who has no spine of his own. You see that in mecha sometimes and it's awful then, and I suppose it is, to some extent, a take on the pointless princess everybody is fighting for in spite of her lack of any redeeming qualities at all.

I guess Duck can freely change shape when the occasion requires it, now?

From the New World 6

gives Satoru his powers back inexplicably but she can't do it for herself nor can Satoru do it for her
.... for whatever reason. This lead to like a few minutes of Satoru being a badass. So much for being on a school trip.

. But they are not explaining what is currently/present day what is going on, what the rituals themselves do and what is up with this society. They will probably answer the first and last parts but I don't think they will ever get to the second question.

Characters are cool. Animation is pretty good when it's not sucking. Other then that the plot is nowhere to be found. Almost no exposition. It's a little frustrating.

With out giving anything away, everything you're concerned about gets explained over the course of the show.

Aikatsu! 58

Honestly, one of the reasons why I waited a while to start S2 was due to.... hype being low, as well as Aikatsu fanbases being pretty low. I was kind of expecting a quality drop ala Futari wa to Max Heart, or Yes! 5 to GoGo. It might have a bit of both mixed in considering Yurika gets screwed pretty badly in terms of time (granted she was mostly secondary until the whole idol group thing came around and propelled her higher). Granted, it doesn't really mess with actual characters and how they are, and instead, builds upon already existing characters without necessarily breaking them down to Square one for no apparent reason.

But anyway, I'm a bit surprised they waited this long to teach people about doing their own coreography. And they made it look like even a child could do it. That's our Johnny, no wonder he's the best. Also fuck rivalry. It's strange in a sense that there's not much drama in that regard outside of the first few episodes (thank god, but it's going to come back with new results) but it's like, Hey, we're Aikatsu! We have fun and not exactly worry about that. And there's totally room for shows to just have fun. Gives it its own little island with shows like iM@S and Love Live out there.

cnet128

Banned
Heartcatch Precure! 36

The school festival is HERE, and I'll be damned if that fashion show wasn't gloriously fabulous (all the more so for the
impromptu integration of the Light Music Club into the routine
).

Though I must confess the sheer scale of the audience stretched the boundaries of suspension of belief just a little. I mean, I know it was a plot point that tons of people showed up to watch because Top Model Momoka was going to be appearing in the show, but even so, this is still supposed to be a school festival, right...? The crowd looked more like something out of a massive sold-out idol concert. I practically fell about laughing when their sea of glowsticks started changing colour in sync and forming light shows and shit. This show just does not give a fuck XD

Other events of this episode:

- Cobraja turned out to be completely tone deaf, surprising nobody.
- The episode's Desatorian was formed from a duo of girls who had literally identical Heart Flowers. Like, after the Desatorian was defeated, I have no idea how the Cures managed to even figure out which was which to reunite them with their bodies. I was half hoping they'd get them the wrong way around and then hilarious body-swap antics could ensue!
- We got to witness a four-Cure transformation sequence for the first time, and I wasn't particularly impressed by it. Moonlight's segments seemed a bit shoehorned-in and not very prominent. Which is fine by me, since Moonlight is clearly the worst of the four, but it does seem a bit odd to have her transformation sequence feeling like an afterthought when she's still the hot new thing.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Maken-Ki! Two 09

Stealth :SDBurton episode. As already proven with Tsumugi this season, the best traps are reverse traps. Azuki's already been a bit heavy on the tomboy side, so it made sense for the events that transpired this episode. So much yuri vibes going around. S2 has basically been a collection of side stories, but it was never at a loss for giving people something to talk about.

Trying to hold out for the BDs. Daaaamn it! ;_;

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Seriously America, do you have like only half a dozen voice actors willing to do anime. It always seems to be the same TERRIBLE voices.

Considering how JYB is in like 90% of the shows that do get dubbed, that in itself should easily answer your question. :lol

Maken-Ki! Two 9

Possibly may have just witnessed what SDBurton's ideal ending would be after seeing the yuri couple having their own wedding and baby ending.

Not the real thing, mind you.

Freaking 3D Twister with those provocative posses that make me question if I'm allowed to post them or not. Even more so knowing neither of them are guys.

Maken-ki showing how it's done! Good for them!

BluWacky

From the New World 6

I think it's pretty clear where they are given that Kamisu is a real place in Japan and they all have Japanese names. Oh, and the show shows you a map near the start of the series :p

The mantra situation you complain about is explained in the relevant episode with the flashback to Saki and Satoru.

For all the show's faults, lack of plot or exposition is not one of them - I'm not sure what you thought episode 4 was about if not a giant exposition dump! I can't actually think of a single loose end in From The New World - although I'm sure someone else will correct me on that!

Samurai Flamenco - 18

So basically Masayoshi
defeats what is essentially the anti of the Anti-Spiral and has a little chat with what is essentially God. Or the show's writer, seeing how he spoke of it becoming a story and everything. Oh lord, what if the show's final boss is the writer in a live action setting?!?

How is it that there are three more episodes of this? What else other than what I mentioned in my spoiler is there for this show to do?!? What else?!?

Articalys

Moonlight is clearly the worst of the four
I was also going to call you out on this but Zach took care of that for me.

-----------------------------

Anyone debating where to preorder their Toradora BD set can also add the NISA store to consideration, as you get this poster as a bonus item:
though the set is a smidgen more expensive there compared to other retailers.

Watched a bunch more Dokkann. Long-ish post incoming.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkann - Episode 7-10

[Episode 7] The first of the six brambles had to get sorted out in this one. I like how they went back to the past to find out what to make Tourbillon to make her brambles disappear.
I wonder what made the kids leave her behind in the end. I know it seemed at bit fishy that she remained as young as she was for the entire time but there must've been a deeper reason behind it.

[Episode 8] My favourite of the lot. The expressions on everyone's faces in this were priceless. Normally these Nobuko episodes are great but this may be my favourite one, there's just so many great sequences to this the
Hana bouncers bit, the ninja red light, green light bit and of course the manga itself

[Episode 9] I did like how Masaru
had a different song for playing to Shiori than the one he plays for Hazuki. That was a nice touch.
Not much else to say really apart from wanting Hazuki to finally tell Masaru her feelings for him already.

[Episode 10] Had Hana being hasty in volunteering for things again like in Episode 6. It was great seeing her gradually getting adjusted to her role as leader of the group. She showed a lot of persistence in doing things right. Hopefully in the next episode things don't go pear-shaped for them. I mean next episode we're getting
the FLAT4 coming back so things could start getting complicated very quickly.

Jex

From the New World 6

I'm really glad the show isn't bending itself over to explain everything about itself at all times because that's pretty bad at setting a tone or a mood. Reading your posts is interesting as you're basically the anti-firehawk12.

CorvoSol

Samurai Flamenco - 18

So basically Masayoshi
defeats what is essentially the anti of the Anti-Spiral and has a little chat with what is essentially God. Or the show's writer, seeing how he spoke of it becoming a story and everything. Oh lord, what if the show's final boss is the writer in a live action setting?!?

How is it that there are three more episodes of this? What else other than what I mentioned in my spoiler is there for this show to do?!? What else?!?

You need to see the next episode NOW.

Princess Tutu 6

Dr. Hell laughs at a naked girl crying in a puddle. Dr. Hell is such a troll.

Heartcatch Precure! 36
g way around and then hilarious body-swap antics could ensue!
- We got to witness a four-Cure transformation sequence for the first time, and I wasn't particularly impressed by it. Moonlight's segments seemed a bit shoehorned-in and not very prominent. Which is fine by me, since Moonlight is clearly the worst of the four

h13Rtxs.jpg

Onee-chan ga Kita 10

Holy shit that last scene in the room. This show is making me wish for it to end with a nice boat just because I'd laugh my ass off. Stalker sister face

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I was also going to call you out on this but Zach took care of that for me.

-----------------------------

Anyone debating where to preorder their Toradora BD set can also add the NISA store to consideration, as you get this poster as a bonus item:

though the set is a smidgen more expensive there compared to other retailers.

Preorder bonus: SPOILERS. :lollllllllllllllllll

Mature

I'm really glad the show isn't bending itself over to explain everything about itself at all times because that's pretty bad at setting a tone or a mood. Reading your posts is interesting as you're basically the anti-firehawk12.
I was trying to kindly word "you must hate subtlety", and you pretty much nailed it.

Quasar

Why does Spotify have terrible covers of anime tunes and why did it think I'd want to listen to terrible covers of Sword Art Online songs?

Its like that for lots of anime music. Japan won't license their music to the west so we get covers instead.

It seems they prefer wholesale piracy to exist instead.

From the New World 5

Shouldn't be watching the TV version when the BD version exists.

Pani Poni Dash! 21

It's Serizawa cosplaying as Becky cosplaying as Sailor Moon. WeNeedToGoDeeper.jpg

Well... Godzilla and a robot can't be friends after all. Becky is missing and the PTA is ruthless. Lots of movie references in this one. The Shining, Spider-Man, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Oceans 12, Star Wars, Terminator and more.

duckroll

Witch Craft Works - Episode 7

Wow. This show is just as crazy as I remember. It's impressive how many random gags they can fit into an episode while actually connecting everything into a linear narrative. This show is definitely one of the funniest shows this season. Both WCW and Hozuki are hilarious, but in very different ways. While Hozuki uses references and pop culture for most of the jokes, WCW is pure Mizushima magic with physical and out of context gags executed with amazing timing.

I almost died at the opening joke in the episode, but by the end of the episode I was no longer a living human being.

Witch Craft Works - Episode 8

Aaaaaaaaaand the episode right after managed to top the the previous episode in every possible way. Probably the best episode yet. Random, crazy, creative, and just filled with unexpected stuff. The Kagari flashback was pretty well done, and reinforces the fact that everyone in the world is kinda insane, but the actual "plot" element was even better. I don't even want to describe any of it. Anyone who has watched the episode KNOWS. Anyone who hasn't watch it now! Lol.

/dead

/DEAD

/DEAD

So I finally gave in and watched Hataraku Maou-sama!, and wow, that was nothing like what I was expecting.

A really sincere, occasionally even dramatic action/comedy with some great characters. I dug it enough that I'll probably be picking up the books from now on since I don't feel like waiting on a sequel series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom