• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
oIwQgQr.gif
I was also going to call you out on this but Zach took care of that for me.

Y'all can give me all the disapproving looks you like, but it won't change the fact that I'm right. Moonlight is pretty great as an unstoppable force of overpowered destruction on the battlefield, but as a character she's kind of bland and can't begin to compare to the wonders of even Tsubomi or Itsuki, let alone Erika.

bestness ∝ loliciousness

I won't deny that it is a significant contributing factor (though there are two "li"s in "lolilicious", and at any rate it's a little too specific a descriptor here. I think plain "cuteness" would be more appropriate.)

Itsuki is a background character in comparison to the other three. I don't even know how Moonlight is bland, especially in the context of Precure as a whole.

Samurai Flamenco - 19

OH NO. I THINK I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED HERE.

Masayoshi said that without Goto, he wouldn't be able to become a superhero. Goto's girlfriend just mysteriously vanished out of nowhere and he's been sending fake messages to himself this whole time.

The will of the universe said that it was granting Masayoshi's wishes this whole time to become a superhero.

The will of the universe erased Goto's girlfriend so he would meet Masayoshi instead of living a happy life with her.

IT MAKES SENSE.

As for the episode's ending....so wait who's this guy again? Was he in episode 1 or something? Forgot all about him.

CorvoSol

Samurai Flamenco - 19

Masayoshi said that without Goto, he wouldn't be able to become a superhero. Goto's girlfriend just mysteriously vanished out of nowhere and he's been sending fake messages to himself this whole time.

The will of the universe said that it was granting Masayoshi's wishes this whole time to become a superhero.

The will of the universe erased Goto's girlfriend so he would meet Masayoshi instead of living a happy life with her.

IT MAKES SENSE.

As for the episode's ending....so wait who's this guy again? Was he in episode 1 or something? Forgot all about him.

Shhh. There's no reason, rhyme, or logic here. Only Menco.

Symbionic Titan 15

For once in my life I've found a cartoon where the US Military is actually somewhat competent in handling aliens and alien operatives.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Let's not oversell From the New World. The exposition was pretty poorly handled in terms of pacing.

Shhh. There's no reason, rhyme, or logic here. Only Menco.

Symbionic Titan 15

For once in my life I've found a cartoon where the US Military is actually somewhat competent in handling aliens and alien operatives.

Did we watch the same show or am I remembering wrong? The US Military and the general were largely used as comic relief for the most part if I recall correctly. They didn't completely suck sure but for the most part they were the butt of the joke.

unless you're speaking about the secret organization that appears later

Gazoinks

Samurai Flamenco - 19

IT MAKES SENSE.

COSMIC YAOI.

Actually my current theory is either that Goto's girlfriend is the ultimate villain or she's Mari with amnesia. If it's the latter I will cry.

From the New World 7

Okay I'll admit I was being a bit harsh. (Except for the first two episodes and episode 5)

This episode very nonchalantly pieced together the fragments that the story was throwing out and some of the smaller questions I had. I still have a few lingering questions but it's normal for a show to have a few so they can be answered later. Saki not
remembering her mantra
was convenient to create tension for the last few episodes. I can deal. Last few minutes really helped.

See. I wasn't asking for a 10 minute long explanation by a narrator about what was going on. All it needed was a few conversations that nonchalantly explains the rituals, how they can use their powers and use the monster rats to flesh out this new world.

And dat cliffhanger is definitely ominous.

Starting to realize how much I like the ED's song.

COSMIC YAOI.

Actually my current theory is either that Goto's girlfriend is the ultimate villain or she's Mari with amnesia. If it's the latter I will cry.

The show won't end the way I want it to unless
Mari dies in the most painful way imaginable. Her character just brings this whole show down

Go_Ly_Dow

Stop tying to throw me off with that Avatar, m_night.

sup dawg

From the New World 4

Nooooooooo!!!

You were so close in actually explaining what's going on in this damn show. But now I am completely in the dark again. F.
I think this show has given up on explaining itself. It just wants you to just accept what's going on.

patience young one. you have endured over 8 years for Versus and still are. and now you must endure further for plot revelations in this!

I'm really glad the show isn't bending itself over to explain everything about itself at all times because that's pretty bad at setting a tone or a mood. Reading your posts is interesting as you're basically the anti-firehawk12.

exactly. love how it dangles the carrot and keeps your mind guessing in all directions. great for the imagination and kept me hooked.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Y'all can give me all the disapproving looks you like, but it won't change the fact that I'm right. Moonlight is pretty great as an unstoppable force of overpowered destruction on the battlefield, but as a character she's kind of bland and can't begin to compare to the wonders of even Tsubomi or Itsuki, let alone Erika.

Not even. Moonlight is way better than Blossom. I honestly don't know what's worse, putting Moonlight at the bottom of the four or having Blossom at the top. Wat. Waaaaaaat.

cnet128

Banned
Not even. Moonlight is way better than Blossom. I honestly don't know what's worse, putting Moonlight at the bottom of the four or having Blossom at the top. Wat. Waaaaaaat.

When the hell did I say I put Blossom at the top. I'm pretty sure the statement you just quoted made it pretty clear that I consider Erika the best Heartcatch Cure (and indeed best Cure in anything ever).

SDBurton

When the hell did I say I put Blossom at the top. I'm pretty sure the statement you just quoted made it pretty clear that I consider Erika the best Heartcatch Cure (and indeed best Cure in anything ever).

I was referring to KirbYayoi's ranking in the second half of my statement and comparing it to the one you just made. Unable to decide which one is the lesser of two evils.

cnet128

Banned
I was referring to KirbYayoi's ranking in the second half of my statement and comparing it to the one you just made. Unable to decide which one is the lesser of two evils.

Ah right. Fair enough then.

Ranking anyone above Erika is pretty heinous.

EDIT: Actually, looking back at Kirb's ranking, Blossom is equal first with Marine. So that's slightly less heinous.

Pooya

I really don't remember anything "hard to understand" in SSY. The initial setup was pretty clear, to me.

yeah, pacing maybe was too slow at times but it was quite straight forward. Maybe those bits about them remembering their mantra was poor, I'm not remembering those bits exactly now, but Saki remembers his mantra and can restore his powers. Though for other things I'm not sure how to respond to PsychoNinja without accidentally spoiling it for him, he seemingly didn't catch some very obvious things yet which will return to him later, so I'm not saying anything more.

The material is actually a real novel, a big book not the usual LN crap that's animated, maybe a little more patience is required here. It's a long story.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Anyone debating where to preorder their Toradora BD set can also add the NISA store to consideration, as you get this poster as a bonus item:
though the set is a smidgen more expensive there compared to other retailers.
Tear-resistant? So either to stop you from ripping it when your favourite girl loses or to prevent you from ruining it by weeping into it. Either way works.

Smart thinking.

Why am I being thrown into the mix, especially since Erika tied with Tsubomi, and Yuri was close by in the top ten as well?

I don't really give a shit about the top ten order because the top ten remains the same. My ten favorite characters! It's the middle ground that has less of my attention because it varies too much.

yeah, pacing maybe was too slow at times but it was quite straight forward. Maybe those bits about them remembering their mantra was poor, I'm not remembering those bits exactly now, but Saki remembers his mantra and can restore his powers. Though for other things I'm not sure how to respond to PsychoNinja without accidentally spoiling it for him.

The material is actually a real novel, a big book not the usual LN crap that's animated, maybe a little more patience is required here. It's a long story.

It's not "hard to understand" per se. The first six episodes just felt fragmented and was missing something for me to really "get" into the show or accept the things in the show as they are. Episode 7 resolved most of this for me. I weathered the storm. It seems to be better now.

COSMIC YAOI.

That could be true, but seeing how we were introduced to
what was essentially God
in the last episode, I could see the show ending like this.

Hazama confronts the will of the universe about Goto's girlfriend, the universe responds that it was all because of his wish that Goto's girlfriend disappeared so he could meet Goto. Hazama breaks down and says that everything he did wasn't worth it if his best friend's lifelong pain is what caused his lifelong happiness. Hazama then makes one last request to the will of the universe: to erase himself and his entire existence. The universe warns that the world will go back to its evil ways before Samurai Flamenco showed up if he does that. Hazama doesn't care, and says that the world will find its way to peace on its own one day, without the need for superheroes.

The will of the universe grants his wish, and Hazama looks down on Goto and his girlfriend living a happy life together. The End.

cajunator

Banned
I was also going to call you out on this but Zach took care of that for me.

-----------------------------

Anyone debating where to preorder their Toradora BD set can also add the NISA store to consideration, as you get this poster as a bonus item:

though the set is a smidgen more expensive there compared to other retailers.

I might double dip just for the poster..

cnet128

Banned
That could be true, but seeing how we were introduced to
what was essentially God
in the last episode, I could see the show ending like this.

Hazama confronts the will of the universe about Goto's girlfriend, the universe responds that it was all because of his wish that Goto's girlfriend disappeared so he could meet Goto. Hazama breaks down and says that everything he did wasn't worth it if his best friend's lifelong pain is what caused his lifelong happiness. Hazama then makes one last request to the will of the universe: to erase himself and his entire existence. The universe warns that the world will go back to its evil ways before Samurai Flamenco showed up if he does that. Hazama doesn't care, and says that the world will find its way to peace on its own one day, without the need for superheroes.

The will of the universe grants his wish, and Hazama looks down on Goto and his girlfriend living a happy life together. The End.

Well, at least that would answer the question of who to pair Masayoshi with. Madoka!

SDBurton

Why am I being thrown into the mix, especially since Erika tied with Tsubomi, and Yuri was close by in the top ten as well?

Because there is no way on God's green earth that Tsubomi is an any way superior to Erika! If they were tied you might as well have switched them!

I kid, it's your opinion after all. :p

Because there is no way on God's green earth that Tsubomi is an any way superior to Erika! If they were tied you might as well have switched them!

I kid, it's your opinion after all. :p

Funny enough, no matter what I did, even if they were tied, it still never put Erika above her.

Oh well. Better than the first list in where Erika and 21 other people were ranked 1st place, but she was way low on the list.

CorvoSol

Did we watch the same show or am I remembering wrong? The US Military and the general were largely used as comic relief for the most part if I recall correctly. They didn't completely suck sure but for the most part they were the butt of the joke.

unless you're speaking about the secret organization that appears later

Generally speaking, yes, they're incompetent. But in this episode a single private managed to figure out that the teenagers were Titan, tail their movements, gather intelligence on them, and put it all together in a pretty coherent way to form a mission to catch them. If not for that Status Quo at the end the US Military would've figured out who they were, where they live, and their connection to Titan. Basically I don't think the military themselves are incompetent, since these guys had their shit together this episode. I think STEELE is incompetent, since he suddenly doubted his soldier and discarded some solid intelligence because of a singular inconsistency.

DEM OOMPAS.

CorvoSol

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 14

JoJo and Cesar fight using a woman. Not over. Using. And it makes them friends.

If this wasn't the silliest thing ever it'd probably be wildly offensive.

You see, when people use the word "goddess" in reference to Heartcatch and then attach it to names that aren't Erika, it's difficult to read those comments as anything other than a deliberate parody of the truth.
It's hard to take any Heartcatch opinions seriously from someone who also doesn't prefer Tomorrow Song!
My Yuno nenderoid arrived. I think this is the cutest object in the fuckin universe.
Of course, Yunocchi is perfection.

Well, at least that would answer the question of who to pair Masayoshi with. Madoka!

You know, Samurai Flamenco and
Madoka
are pretty similar being that they both
mislead the viewer into thinking that they're going to be a show about one thing only to do a huge tone shift with the ending of one episode later down the line that changes everything.

Only in Madoka, it was a dark and serious shift. In Samurai Flamenco, it's a frigging hilarious shift.

CorvoSol

Mark is getting married next week, you say?

Mark has a loving girlfriend, you say?

Mark is going to die a horrible, painful, tragic, cliched death, I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom