• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hamatora 10

Huh, that was pretty interesting at the end.

Lots of emotion in this episode, definitely feels like everything has been building up to this. Which only makes me look forward to seeing everything get resolved.

CorvoSol

Getter Robo G 8

So in the Hyakki Empire there are teenagers who attend school and learn. And they have parents who have jobs working for the Empire, and people they love who die at the hands of the Getter Robo, even as they themselves suffer from the repression of the Hyakki. I tell you if this show's set up isn't Japan in WWII, I don't know what it's meant to be.

Anyway, kind of a nice episode about a mother desperately trying to save her daughter, even if it means betraying her country and dying for it. Not terribly original, given how many times similar episodes have played out, but I think that Getter Robo does a much better job of portraying the enemy as sympathetic than other mecha shows. To the point where I dare say that, despite being a show about brutal, bitter struggles to extinction between humanity and Dinosaurs/Demons, Getter Robo is a much more positive show about the human race than other Mecha shows.

In Gundam, people are shitty. Well, In Gundam before Char's Counter Attack ruined UC forever. On the one hand the Zeon are megalomaniacal, racist, vicious bastards willing to pretend to be noble if it means getting them even a small amount of power. On the other hand the Federation is full of lazy, uncompromising bastards. Humanity is in general shitty. That changes when CCA comes along and for some reason Spacenoids are always good no matter what and Earth forces are always bad no matter what and New Type fanatic cancer took control of the series' brain, not letting it go till Loran and the Turn A flipped it the bird forever. But in the original trilogy everybody was shit.

In Mazinger, people are just sort of black and white. I mean, Boss is a loser, but he's not evil. Not in the sense that Dr. Hell and now the Great General of Darkness are. The villains twirl their mustaches and the heroes' capes flutter in the wind and all that.

And of course in Macross the entire human race is a bunch of otaku shits who have such a hard on for idol culture they're baffled when space aliens don't love their holographic popstars. MACROSS II IS SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

But in Getter Robo, even though Emperor Gore, Demon King Ura, and Emperor Burai are all evil sons of bitches, and even though HITLER AS A DEMON is a chief villain, the villainous group is full of good people who often die unjustly. And not just Ramba Ral or Lalah Soone, but mothers and daughters, slaves and outcasts.

I don't know that I think the Getter Robo series is terribly interesting or exciting to watch on account of its sort of out-dated and highly formulaic story-telling, but I think that it tells you a shitton about what the writers thought about war in a Post-War Japan, and there is a boatload to really be learned from Getter Robo about the way to portray worthy adversaries, how to make sympathetic enemies and victims, and how to make really human characters and events in a show in spite of its fantastic settings.

Indeed, Getter Rays aside, Getter Robo rarely uses "well this is fiction!" as an excuse for things. The dinosaurs and demons are expected to behave as humans do, and the writers never have to resort to "well he's a teenager!" for anybody's behavior. I mean, the guys beat the shit out of each other, but the show never really makes excuses for them, and even though these vicious human beings are brutal to each other, in times of strife they get their shit together to fight anyone who comes and attacks their home.

Show is positively fascinating to sit down and really analyze like this.

Maken-ki! Two - 09

I know why Sdburton is not posting here and is not playing on PS4 either during the day , his secret identity is actually "anime writter consultant "!

He has been directly involved in Sakura trick , engaged to the unidentified, kill la kill , inari konkon koi iroha and a large number of shows during winter season and his latest involvement is in Maken-ki!!
Maken-ki%21%20Two%20-%2009.jpg

I'm very happy too !

Don't deny it Sdburton , all the hints and fact have been gathered ... it's so obvious now ..
You've wrote this episode haven't you ? before of course that Kaneko Hiraku went it and change the ending a little.

i'm looking forward to see what next show you'll be working on next

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 19

Whoa show, you're supposed to be G rated. Or PG rated.

Kinda cool episode though, with Aya and Yukari expressing frustration at their feeling that their fathers really don't care about them all that much and are just using them as employees at their places, but then show that they're actually good people who do care aout them a lot. Bathhousse guy even tells Hadzuki how he kinda feels like he failed Yukari as a father for making her do all this worrk when she should just be being a kid.

Scene with Kotake was pretty funny too.

Just saw the Toradora dub trailer, it's actually not too bad. Original is still leagues above it though.

very few anime have a dub that is considered better for the most part. Cowboy Bebop being one of them. I'd like to argue Samurai Champloo as well. As to Baccano, I'll be the judge once I watch the blu-ray with ma buddies.

Another poor episode for me, though not as bad as the stupid teddy bear one. I think I'm starting to miss some kind of ongoing story like the manga has.

It's certainly a maken-ki season without story ...

I liked the story maken - ki had in the first season..

It comes without saying that i liked this episode because sdburton and i share similar tastes.

Phi Brain Season 3 Episode 23
tumblr_n2ctgqLCHn1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Pretty weak episode and the Kaito scene was so shortlived

I had got all happy when the principal came and was saying how everyone had lived and survived giving good messages. But then Jikugawa realizing it was all a lie brought me back down to Earth :(

I dont think the festivities were necessary or worthwhile. Its just not the same without Gammon.

Quasar

It's certainly a maken-ki season without story ...

I liked the story maken - ki had in the first season..

It comes without saying that i liked this episode because sdburton and i share similar tastes.

True. I just wanted to scream 'fucking yuribait!'. What is it with this season? literally every show I watch has had to dive into that pool.

Hattori

Banned
very few anime have a dub that is considered better for the most part. Cowboy Bebop being one of them. I'd like to argue Samurai Champloo as well. As to Baccano, I'll be the judge once I watch the blu-ray with ma buddies.
Yeah, the only ones that stand out to me are Trigun, GTO, and Golden Boy.

Witch craft Works - 010

Paying your respects is always a good thing.

I've always liked "week-end" as a character for multiples reasons ..
She was manipulative ( even if thatdidn't work ) , she had a plan , she wasn't playing by the rules BUT she still got some. i always liked this kind of character , especially if it's an antagonist.

Can't wait to see the rest of this arc animated.
True. I just wanted to scream 'fucking yuribait!'. What is it with this season? literally every show I watch has had to dive into that pool.

Just told you , it's Sdburton hidden job ...( he won't fool me )

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Lust versus true love, man.

And it hasn't been as easy as
fate
for several seasons. You'd be asking her to kill Chibiusa! It's easy to stay in a relationship when you already have a deep filial attachment to a child you won't have for a thousand years.
Eh, she should keep Seiya as a concubine.

Syrinx

Magic Knight Rayearth 14

That was pretty hardcore there by Hikaru, slicing her arm to attract the monster like that.

Didn't figure Umi would be one to play games, let alone RPGs.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Maken-ki! Two - 09

I know why Sdburton is not posting here and is not playing on PS4 either during the day , his secret identity is actually "anime writter consultant "!

He has been directly involved in Sakura trick , engaged to the unidentified, kill la kill , inari konkon koi iroha and a large number of shows during winter season and his latest involvement is in Maken-ki!!

Don't deny it Sdburton , all the hints and fact have been gathered ... it's so obvious now ..
You've wrote this episode haven't you ? before of course that Kaneko Hiraku went it and change the ending a little.

i'm looking forward to see what next show you'll be working on next

TnSMmmhmmm.gif

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha 09

Alllllllllllllll that drama made it a chore to watch through.

I mean, it leads up to a good climax for the ending, but still alllllllllllllll that drama.

I would say it's worth it for UkaxTouma, but not sure the show will end where their relationship gets good. There's always the manga.

Also about to give a try to Shounen Onmyouji.

Hamatora 10
I liked the troll hunt a bit. Though i feel Nice is being a tad stupid on Takahiro's request (though Takahiro's reasoning is also pretty stupid). Wasn't the original reason for his mother and now he should have realized his mother is a terrible woman and he didn't the Minimum.

Oneechan ga Kita 10
Very sweet. Almost rooting for that girl though the ending brought me back to the older sister's side

Why would you root for the girl?
she's clearly in love with the blue haired masochist friend

Shounen Onmi 1

I'm intrigued. It's a mixture of Inuyasha and Natsume Book of Friends. More of the latter. In this one the main guy has more power than Natsume, but he also has a Neko sensei. The difference is that this Neko sensei transforms into sexy man instead of large cat dragon

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 8

One of the nice things about watching this series a second time through is seeing how early some things are set up. For instance, in this episode we already learn that Axis is heading toward the Earth and that one Haman Khan is aboard it. We also learn about Karaba, which isn't as cool.

In the meantime Kamille continues to beat the shit out of Jerid because Jerid is an absolute loser and Kamille is King of Bosstown. Meanwhile, Emma Sheen has some fantasies about Char and Amuro that we're not going to go into for the time being.

duckroll

Witch Craft Works - Episode 9

Didn't like this episode as much since it was more PLOT than humor, but there were still some pretty funny bits. The action animation was pretty solid too, but some of the CG effects were pretty bad. I really like Orange's CG modeling and animation, but their effects animation still needs a lot of improvement. The fire beast and the explosions simply aren't up to par compared to actual well done 2D effects of the same type. I don't really mind the direction the plot is going in, it's just that the episode seemed mostly set up for something more exciting coming next. At least they got it over with quick though. The pacing on this show is really fast. Lol.

---

Hozuki, Idols, and Art in Hell - Episode 8

The return of the dreadful reporter and the stripping hag! Lol. I'm not a huge fan of the first story in this episode, but the idol music video made it all worth while. I love it when shows put extra effort into supplementary material for gags. I love how they used the full music video for the ED sequence too, lol.

The second story was way better. Really cool art stuff, and it shows off the strength of the art team in the series really well. The artwork used in the story was convincing and pretty awesome. Overall this episode wasn't focused that much on humor so much as creativity, but that's definitely not a bad thing.

---

Inari, Konkon, Mega Dramaz - Episode 7

Damn, the drama on this show keeps getting more and more overbearing. This show really feels like a Korean drama. I guess that's not a bad thing for people who are really into that sort of over the top melodrama filled with misunderstandings and overreactions at every turn, but I really think the show would be much better with it toned down. I enjoy the characters, I like seeing what happens to them, and when there's nothing intense happening it's really enjoyable. But there are always a few moments every episode where it's like OH NOES WHAT WILL SHE DO or UH OH THIS MISUNDERSTANDING DURR or SHOULD I TELL HER etc.

I liked the idea of the school play and how it messes with the dynamics, but then they just had to turn it into the same old misunderstanding crap. Whyyyyyyyyy. Is exaggerated mundane melodrama between friends and interested parties really that popular with viewers?

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha 9

The drama is getting way too much for me. And it ends next week so we won't be getting anything more laid back ever again.

Why would you root for the girl?
she's clearly in love with the blue haired masochist friend

You're right probably. The earlier episodes sort of threw me off. Though in my mind she was in the running for the best girl of the show, but then the sister came and made it clear why she is the best

Inari Konkon 9
Goddammit Inari, stop being so selfless. Those girls were being bitches. And now Uka-sama is fading. Next episode is definitely going to have feels

Westlo

Macross +1

Well that was pretty much better than Macross 2 in every way I can imagine.

Seriously when you finish this series look up on youtube the redone final fight scene that was in the Movie edition of Plus. Though I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction after you comment about finishing the fourth OVA.

Gazoinks

Clannad After Story 18
heart-rip-o5ksd7.gif

Best After Story episode so far. Tons of feels, and good development.
The expansion on Tomoya's father was really emotional and bittersweet, as was Tomoya's reflection on Nagisa on the train. Very bittersweet episode in general, but it seems like Tomoya's finally ready to start moving forward.

Experience was improved by remembering to pause at "To be continued" and avoid the ED. :p

The commercial about Mr. Potato Head eating potato chips is kind of creepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom