• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Look at that composition, you'd never realise the background and characters weren't all part of the same seamless world.

Those character poses and potions, so organic and natural.
pa works influence in bad composition really has left its mark on the industry :(

duckroll

Arguing over Jojo names in English is really dumb because the author probably doesn't give a fuck honestly. The reason why certain names in English are deliberately made more convoluted in spelling is mostly to avoid copyright issues with the actual bands and singers who are clearly being referenced. In Japanese it makes no difference, and since it's much less likely for the lawyers and record companies representing English bands to make a fuss about something being referenced in a language none of them understand, it's a non-issue.

The fact remains that all the names in the series are very obvious musical references. How people want to type the names is up to them. It has zero impact on the actual story or artistic integrity of anything related to Jojo, and is just a stupid internet dick waving contest to try to be "more right". Lame as fuck imo!

Erigu

I think ACDC fits in a lot more in a world of guys named Zeppelin
"Zeppeli", not "Zeppelin".

The reason why certain names in English are deliberately made more convoluted in spelling is mostly to avoid copyright issues with the actual bands and singers who are clearly being referenced.
I don't know about that. Lots of other character or stand names are clear references and are kept intact in artbooks, figure packaging and such.

The fact remains that all the names in the series are very obvious musical references. How people want to type the names is up to them.
Still, when you turn "ストレイツォ" into "Straits", you're clearly ignoring something, there. That's like turning "ツェペリ" into "Zeppelin".

Branduil

Arguing over Jojo names in English is really dumb because the author probably doesn't give a fuck honestly. The reason why certain names in English are deliberately made more convoluted in spelling is mostly to avoid copyright issues with the actual bands and singers who are clearly being referenced. In Japanese it makes no difference, and since it's much less likely for the lawyers and record companies representing English bands to make a fuss about something being referenced in a language none of them understand, it's a non-issue.

The fact remains that all the names in the series are very obvious musical references. How people want to type the names is up to them. It has zero impact on the actual story or artistic integrity of anything related to Jojo, and is just a stupid internet dick waving contest to try to be "more right". Lame as fuck imo!

I didn't know this was a thing, honestly. I mean it's so obvious what each name is referencing that I don't know why anyone would argue about it.

Articalys

To be honest though I'm less concerned about spelling and more concerned about the number of references kept intact for the English version of ASB.

Erigu

I didn't know this was a thing, honestly. I mean it's so obvious what each name is referencing that I don't know why anyone would argue about it.
The references the names are based on may be obvious, but that doesn't mean the actual spelling of those names necessarily is.

duckroll

I rode a zeppili across the Straizo of Malaysia, then we got into a few kars and drove to watch Eisidisi perform, it was so badass we were all feeling wamuued.

whogivesafuck.gif

wonzo

Banned
Kuromajo 51

kuromajo51.jpg

The worlds lamest vampire rocking the one fang dental malfeasance look. All that's left is the dreaded small hat and half glasses combo to finish off the bad anime fashion trifecta.

Missing out on a chance to issue the wonzo Kingdom challenge in reply.
If you knew of the pain the Kingdom challenge brings you'd finally understand my reluctance to doll it out so easily!

It's MAL approved, so it must be the way to go.
broken clock

Clannad After Story 18
heart-rip-o5ksd7.gif

Best After Story episode so far. Tons of feels, and good development.
The expansion on Tomoya's father was really emotional and bittersweet, as was Tomoya's reflection on Nagisa on the train. Very bittersweet episode in general, but it seems like Tomoya's finally ready to start moving forward.

Experience was improved by remembering to pause at "To be continued" and avoid the ED. :p

The commercial about Mr. Potato Head eating potato chips is kind of creepy.

Heh.

Waiting for you to get to these episodes has paid off in dividends. I am very happy to see the show hitting you the same way it hit me and many others who have watched it. I think we can all agree that
Ushio is one of the cutest characters ever and probably one of the better kept secrets/spoilers in anime. Had she been spoiled to people before hand I don't think the impact would be as meaningful.

Also for some reason those
two parts you mentioned were really emotional for me but the most emotional part for me in that episode was when Ushio asked Tomoya if she can "cry in daddy's arms" and proceeded to do so as Tomoya hugged her. That hit me hard and had me crying until the moment Tomoya was telling Ushio about Nagisa which kept the tears flowing.
Definitely one of my favorite episodes in the entire series.

All and all I am glad your enjoying it and I hope it goes down as one of your favorites.

Edit: Sorry it took me so long to respond. I was finishing up South Park TSOT. Man is the ending to that game a riot.

duckroll

Good thing about the official alphabet spellings in JoJo is that they're (surprisingly) consistent. I can only think of three ambiguous cases at the moment.

That's nice, but I still don't think it makes any difference whether someone calls a character ACDC or Eisidisi or whatever. The point is, everyone knows who they're talking about. It's not like there's any deeper meaning to that specific spelling or anything. The name was conceived in Japanese, not English. It's like one of the least important things to give a fuck about in the grand scheme of things.

Erigu

That's nice, but I still don't think it makes any difference whether someone calls a character ACDC or Eisidisi or whatever. The point is, everyone knows who they're talking about.
On a forum, sure. I just tend to look at these things from a translator's perspective.
If official alphabet spellings exist, are consistent and make sense, I'd pick those for a translation (less friction if said names appear here or there in the work itself or on official material). And I always find it weird when some translators don't just ignore those but also some obvious hints in the kana spellings (ワムウ -> Wham, ストレイツォ -> Straits).

duckroll

On a forum, sure. I just tend to look at these things from a translator's perspective.
If official alphabet spellings exist, are consistent and make sense, I'd pick those for a translation (less friction if said names appear here or there in the work itself or on official material). And I always find it weird when some translators don't just ignore those but also some obvious hints in the kana spellings (ワムウ -> Wham, ストレイツォ -> Straits).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're referring to non-professional quick and dirty unauthorized translations on the internet which sometimes use sources other than the original Japanese and might be of questionable quality in English anyway right? Now just think about that for a moment. :p

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Nice to see Sunao Katabuchi's (Mai Mai Miracle director) adaptation of Fumio Kono's (author of Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms) To All The Corners Of The World at MAPPA is still alive... kinda? http://natalie.mu/comic/news/111925

Note: I don't think there's anything new, just a PR for a scheduled discussion/talk event.

OMG that looks like the best thing ever.

Please come out :(

Erigu

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're referring to non-professional quick and dirty unauthorized translations on the internet which sometimes use sources other than the original Japanese and might be of questionable quality in English anyway right?
Sure, but for a lot of people and some shows, those unauthorized translations also are all there is...
(and I'd probably object to much more than name spellings, for some of those questionable, quick and dirty translations)

duckroll

Sure, but for a lot of people and some shows, those unauthorized translations also are all there is...
(and I'd probably object to much more than name spellings, for some of those questionable, quick and dirty translations)

Just seems pointless putting much stock into bad unofficial translations anyway. Even if they're all that exist, I think most people recognize that they're just there to give people a general understanding so they can read the thing. It doesn't mean its particularly accurate or that any names are official or anything. Shrug. It's kinda hard to care. :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Still, when you turn "ストレイツォ" into "Straits", you're clearly ignoring something, there. That's like turning "ツェペリ" into "Zeppelin".

Any translator should be aware that the Japanese have difficulty ending a word on a consonant. Due to the nature of the language, a vowel is probably going to find its way in there. Ignoring that it did means understanding that it was a crutch in the first place.

Erigu

Just seems pointless putting much stock into bad unofficial translations anyway. Even if they're all that exist, I think most people recognize that they're just there to give people a general understanding so they can read the thing.
"Most people", I don't know...
Besides, it's not like you can necessarily tell whether or not a translation is bad. And some translators (authorized or not) actually manage to be quick and come up with some genuinely good stuff, so you can't quite presume of the quality of the translation simply based on the timing of its release either.

I mean, it seems to me a lot of people are assuming "Straits"/"Wham"/"ACDC"/"Cars" obviously are the correct spellings, and it's not the first time I've seen somebody file "Straizo"/"Wamuu"/"Esidisi"/"Kars" under "weaboo/ignorant flat transliterations like Gattsu" either. And I think there's a good chance the reason we're not seeing that for "Zeppeli" is that those unauthorized translations didn't pick "Zeppelin"...

It's kinda hard to care. :)
Eh, pet peeve/professional deformation. ^^

Any translator should be aware that the Japanese have difficulty ending a word on a consonant. Due to the nature of the language, a vowel is probably going to find its way in there. Ignoring that it did means understanding that it was a crutch in the first place.
And they should also be able to tell that it clearly isn't what's going on for stuff like "ワムウ" and "ストレイツォ", which was my point.

cnet128

Banned
Okay, Wham maybe. Cars is kinda pushing it.

But MASTER ACDC?

And now you can join the glorious world of arguing over how these names should be spelled!

Kon (Tokyo Ravens character)
Kon (Bleach character)
Inari Konkon (show)
K-On! (show)
[Recommended additions follow]
Satoshi Kon (director)
Kanokon (show)

No point using Inari Konkon the show when there's a character in it called Kon who would better serve your purposes.

Some people will tell you that actually his name is spelled in Katakana kind of differently from ACDC so you should call him Esidici (also Wammu and Kars), but those people are dumb. Lean into that shit.

It's not even "kind of" differently in Esidisi's case. The band is エーシーディーシー in katakana (but almost always written as just plain "AC/DC"). Esidisi is エシディシ. All four of the vowels are shorter. You don't even need to know any Japanese to be able to see that the word is like half the length. It's clearly meant to be a reference but deliberately not exactly the same name.

Wamuu and Straizo are more subtle, but they both also have extra elements added to the name specifically to make them different from the original. ワムウ "Wamuu" has the elongated vowel at the end versus just ワム! "Wham!", and ストレイツォ "Straizo" has the "tso" sound at the end which is quite unusual in Japanese rather than ストレイツ "Straits" which uses the normal "tsu" sound.

Are these the same people who claim Guts' name is Gattsu?

No, because that's a completely different issue, since ガッツ "gattsu" is how the English word "guts" is always represented in Japanese. So in that case it's just a question of whether you want to accept it as an English word or directly romanise it for whatever reason. Insisting on "Gattsu" would be more like insisting on "Sutoreitso" than "Straizo".

What the hell... a Junichi Sato x Mari Okada x Shoji Kawamori x Satelight original anime just got announced for airing this April.

http://m3-project.com/
http://www.animate.tv/news/details.php?id=1394644364

No other details yet, besides what duckroll noted below.

Oh boy, this should be fun.

I think ACDC fits in a lot more in a world of guys named Zeppelin and REO Speedwagon than "Esidisi".

Zeppelin is hardly the greatest example to use when that name is also deliberately different in both the JP and the only commonly-used English name =p (ツェペリ "Zeppeli" versus ツェッペリン "Zeppelin")

I don't see why the copyright card is relevant here. I think we can safely say that copyright isn't the reason why the musical references in the early JoJo parts' character names were almost always altered, because Araki went on to use tons of musical references without any alterations whatsoever when he started using them as Stand names from Part 4 onwards. It's true that many musical references have been deliberately obscured in English releases for copyright reasons, but that's a completely separate issue.

The reason I think the names should be differentiated from the bands they're referencing in English has everything to do with artistic integrity. Araki clearly went out of his way to make these names at least sound like they could (within the context of JoJo fabulosity) reasonably be cool original names for these characters in addition to being clever homages to musical sources. Making them into plain copypastes misses the point entirely.

Araki didn't call any characters just "REO Speedwagon" because that doesn't sound like a name and would be stupid as-is. Instead he reformulated it as "Robert E.O. Speedwagon" which sounds reasonably like a name while also being a reference. Similarly, "AC/DC" doesn't make a goddamn lick of sense as a name for an ancient Mexican god-creature who probably existed before electricity or even the alphabet were invented in their current form. "Esidisi" looks suitably alien yet familiar while also being a reference.

ツォ is not "zo", so I don't get the point.

Well, it's a German-y "zo". Japanese actually uses the German "ts" sound for "z" in Zeppelin/Zeppeli as well (since the word has German origins). Either way that's not an argument for completely ignoring the "o" sound.

Heartcatch Precure! 37

Oh hey, it's another LET'S TRAINING episode! And a two-parter, at that. I wonder what kind of upgrade they're going to be getting from this one.

The "fighting your own shadow" trope is always a fun one, if only because shadow versions of characters have tons of potential to have nifty-looking designs. These ones were no exception, with appearances somewhere in-between their counterparts' civilian and Precure forms, all dressed up in some slick minimalist outfits with...are those lab coats? Eh, it looks cool, who cares if it makes sense! I liked Sunshine's shadow's design in particular. Dat long straight yellow hair.

Appropriately enough for this series, the solution to this shadow challenge was
to make peace with your "dark side" and accept it instead of fighting. Which meant that of course Marine's fight had the most satisfying conclusion, because Erika is perhaps at her most amazing when she's doing the whole kind-and-comforting thing. Plus, you know, ErikaxErika. How could that not be a glorious pairing.

But oh dear, it looks like
Blossom's having some trouble with her challenge. I guess that conclusion will have to wait until next episode. I'm sure she'll come out of it a stronger person, though.

Also fuck yeah, awesome statues! XD

Erigu

ツォ is not "zo", so I don't get the point.
In Hepburn, it would be "tso". But "Straizo" (obviously?) isn't supposed to be a Hepburn transliteration of "ストレイツォ": it's how the name is spelled in alphabet on official material. Like, well, "Guts" for "ガッツ".

And the point is that the final "vowels" of "ワムウ" and "ストレイツォ" clearly aren't the "crutches" you were referring to.
If you merely mean to end a name on the sound "m", why add an extra "ウ" after your "ム"?" "ワム" would be ambiguous, but "ワムウ" isn't: the "u" sound is clearly meant to be a "u" sound, there, not a mere artifact of the Japanese language.
Same thing for the other one: if you merely mean to end a name on the sound "ts", why go out of your way to add that "ォ" after your "ツ"?

Quasar

Though its not something I'd normally watch, I've started watching Kara no Kyoukai. I'm now three in and it seems I still want to watch. Mostly I think because I need the Shiki timeline in my head to make sense.

Still want to know why she fell into a coma for instance and was released from hospital. And how she came to be working with Kokutō and their boss.

At least now the piece regarding her missing arm is filled in with film three.

cnet128

Banned
And the point is that the final "vowels" of "ワムウ" and "ストレイツォ" clearly aren't the "crutches" you were referring to.
If you merely mean to end a name on the sound "m", why add an extra "ウ" after your "ム"?" "ワム" would be ambiguous, but "ワムウ" isn't: the "u" sound is clearly meant to be a "u" sound, there, not a mere artifact of the Japanese language.
Same thing for the other one: if you merely mean to end a name on the sound "ts", why go out of your way to add that "ォ" after your "ツ"?

Thanks for that, I think you articulated what I was trying to say more clearly than I managed to =p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom