• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
chuu2 2 ep. 10
KwAxdUi.jpg
Now that we've moved on from the character specific vignetettes and the show has decided Rikka/Utah will go nowhere we can finally return to the new character Shichimiya. Up until now she has mostly just been super annoying and kind of lame because she's stuck in fantasy mode. This episode helped her break free of a lot of that, and it's weird seeing someone with actual emotions in the show. Unfortunately for her Chuu2 is commercialized up and down, and she doesn't even show up on the OP cast roll. It's pretty hard to have romantic rivals introduced this late into shows built entirely on romance between two specific characters, and it doesn't really work great here either. She poses no threat to the actual relationship because Utah has all the personality of a concrete block and he is tied to Rikka's ankle.

Ezalc

Hmmmm. There are very few anime shows that deal with romance that fall outside the high school romance where they like each other and at the end get together. In fact anime in general is pretty prudish in this aspect. Like you said there are some manga that depict a more realistic view of life with casual sex, one night stands and more realistic relationships. But as far as I know, those are few and far in between.

If you want to look at a fairly 'realistic' look into romance, there's the new work by the Suzuka author. I think in that one people bounce/date a bunch of people throughout the manga/anime even though we know two characters will eventually end up together.

As to having mature relationships, I think somebody else already mentioned Kemonozume.

Another one that somewhat fits the bill is Speed Grapher, but only for two specific characters. They basically have casual sex together.

Golden Time may not have 'relationships' in the sense you're describing, but outside of that I like how realistically (fantasy drama aside) they're portraying people in college. You fall in love with others you didn't expect to, you lie, you hang out with friends, etc... I praise it for these aspects. It's almost over two so you'd just have to wait a couple of more episodes.

As to REC, yeah I've read a bit of the manga but I didn't really see it going anywhere. The most progress occurs within the first couple of chapters, not sure how much the anime/OVA covered.

Lastly I'd like to mention the heartbreaking 5 Centimeters Per Blood for a very detailed view of how a relationship can dissipate. Nothing more mature than that.

I suppose so and it's something that frustrates me. I feel like this is such an obvious thing to depict but manga and anime seem to have such an impossible time with it.

I've seen 5cm per second, and I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely look into your suggestions as well.

One thing I learned as well: Bambino Secondo is getting translated finally. Goddamn I missed that manga.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh yeah, Mad Bull 34 definitely has a lot of realistic relationships that include sex without all the typical drama hangups.

cajunator

Banned
I just find it sad that it's always these annoying awkward romances instead of just something straight with the viewer. I read Punpun, thought it was wonderfully wacky.

I'll check 'em out.

Hah I suppose so, though you never really see the more tender moments between Goku and Chichi for example later on, just that they had Gohan then Goten.

Will check it out as well.

You seem unsure of this? Hahaha.

just be warned. Saikano rips your heart out and shits on it.

Chuu2 S2 - 10

Fuck Kyoani.

Fuck anime.

Fuck it all. Fuck.

Not like this.

PDxFFgt.gif

Is KyoAni just unraveling more every season?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha - 08&09

FRweYcv.png

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Aside from the melodrama both episodes were solid overall. I'm a little bummed that
Inari didn't generate a shockwave or something to knock those bullies on their asses before Uka=sama's intervention.They deserved it!

And I'm going to be so incredibly depressed when this season ends. I doubt we will ever get another season where yuri is popping up in so many different shows. ;_;

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
And now Ezalc will be denied the glory that is Sleepy.

I hope you are all satisfied with yourselves.

Clannad After Story 19

Oh hey it's Fukooooo. Meh! :p Nice that she's awake I guess, but I'm not sure what place she has in the story anymore unless she becomes buddies with Ushio.

Anyway, Tomoya's reconciling with his dad was really nice. The flashbacks at the end were especially emotional.

Early in this episode there was a melancholy insert song, but the Engrish kind of killed the mood.
"People's hand does not reach, so merely has the worship"
"The place is a lofty load. Can't meet nobody put on."
"And the 'not dyeing' is dyed out, and waits for a oppose one."
what does it mean

:D

So happy you are liking this. :,)

The dad's story and
reconciliation
is what really got me. Alongside "
she told me only to cry in daddy's arms
"

Come on dude. Spoilers. Some people here haven't watched it yet. Please put up some spoiler bars.

Articalys

Oh, I just remembered, among the Junichi Sato talk before, someone mentioned Amazing Twins -- when that had a preair on TV, didn't people say the animation looked unfinished or something along those lines? Has anyone seen the BD version and knows if it looks better?

Branduil

Clannad 2: Clannad means Ohana

i76oRli2Fc3UQ.jpg

Anime cliches 101

Kyou deserved that.

Man the obvious lifted-straight-from-the-VN character introduction scenes are painful. In this episode we get not one but two stereotypical scenes of our hero meeting cute girls who seem to have developmental disabilities in somehow deserted areas of the school building. The way these characters act like they're 10 years younger than they actually are is kind of disturbing.

The parts dealing with Tomoya's inner turmoil is a heck of a lot better. It's hard to judge if they're actually good but it's certainly far more interesting in contrast to the weird "waifu route unlocked" scenes.

Saddest basketball scene since the last Knicks loss.

Vito

Banned
Oh, I just remembered, among the Junichi Sato talk before, someone mentioned Amazing Twins -- when that had a preair on TV, didn't people say the animation looked unfinished or something along those lines? Has anyone seen the BD version and knows if it looks better?

The 2nd airing fixed things and made it safe to watch if I recall Kvin's comments correctly. Don't think anyone posted the bluray though.

cajunator

Banned
Nobody hurts my osananajimi and gets away with it. NOBODY.

I know you mean business BEAR.

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha - 08&09

Aside from the melodrama both episodes were solid overall. I'm a little bummed that
Inari didn't generate a shockwave or something to knock those bullies on their asses before Uka=sama's intervention.They deserved it!

And I'm going to be so incredibly depressed when this season ends. I doubt we will ever get another season where yuri is popping up in so many different shows. ;_;

She looks too much like Asuna which is why I have trouble liking her.

Aria the Animation - 1-4
I'm really loving this so far. Relaxing is a perfect way to describe it.

This show is one of the underrated greats.

Broank

Space Dandy 10

Wow what an absolutely brilliant episode. Really hit my feels.

Also Meow's dad is awesome.

Kill La Kill 22

Oh shit! That return at the end caught me off guard! Non stop great shit this whole episode. Loved all the little interactions between everyone especially.

Clannad 2: Clannad means Ohana

Kyou deserved that.

Man the obvious lifted-straight-from-the-VN character introduction scenes are painful. In this episode we get not one but two stereotypical scenes of our hero meeting cute girls who seem to have developmental disabilities in somehow deserted areas of the school building. The way these characters act like they're 10 years younger than they actually are is kind of disturbing.

The parts dealing with Tomoya's inner turmoil is a heck of a lot better. It's hard to judge if they're actually good but it's certainly far more interesting in contrast to the weird "waifu route unlocked" scenes.

Saddest basketball scene since the last Knicks loss.

Well... at least your kind of getting into it. Thanks for keeping an opening mind about the show. I hope it pays off for you like it did for the rest of us. :)

Gazoinks

Well... at least your kind of getting into it. Thanks for keeping an opening mind about the show. I hope it pays off for you like it did for the rest of us. :)

Honestly, his feelings so far pretty much mirror my feelings about Clannad. Although it had good parts, I found it mostly mediocre, and was equally bothered by how child-like most of the girls were.

But it did pay off once After Story got good, it just took a really long time and I still wish the first season was better! :p

Honestly, his feelings so far pretty much mirror my feelings about Clannad. Although it had good parts, I found it mostly mediocre, and was equally bothered by how child-like most of the girls were.

But it did pay off once After Story got good, it just took a really long time and I still wish the first season was better! :p

Yeah I feel the same way but After Story really pays off all the time you spent watching it. It helps build up everything.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I thought I commented in here earlier, guess the hype got to me, no matter
Kill la Kill Episode 22
The hype is real!

Conan-san

What is White Day?

Reverse Valentines day (Girls get boys chocolates), right?

To be entirely frank, many in the Sailor Moon fandom are accomplices to the abuse on the franchise. :p

That there has yet to be one non-botched English release in TWO DECADES is inexcusable. Only Pioneer's R1 release comes close.

Also, since 2012? Hah!
Kodansha US' release of the manga wasn't a complete disaster.

Articalys

Just another purely commercial holiday to get people to buy more chocolates.

I guess it's more appropriate for otome series like Kamigami no Asobi to do something special for it too.
There's a couple other series that noted White Day in some fashion here, though not all of them were terribly special. Certainly nothing near the number of sites that celebrated Valentine's Day.
http://otakomu.jp/archives/70726.html

Clannad After Story 19

Early in this episode there was a melancholy insert song, but the Engrish kind of killed the mood.
"People's hand does not reach, so merely has the worship"
"The place is a lofty load. Can't meet nobody put on."
"And the 'not dyeing' is dyed out, and waits for a oppose one."
what does it mean

Haha. They're really bad lyrics. Should have kept it in Japanese. That song was used 4 times in the series. 1 time in the original, here, and in the 2 OVAs. Totally ruined the mood when they used it in the original for me.

The dad's story and
reconciliation
is what really got me. Alongside
"she told me only to cry in daddy's arms"

Yeah, but the latter was in the last episode. :p Although
the scene with Sanae crying was also good in this episode.

All of these got me :p

Thoraxes

Silver Spoon S2 - 09

Holy shit that was amazing. Everything was executed so perfectly and the growth in the
relationship between Aki and Hachiken
was so fucking good. I really loved how subtle it all was too, especially when
they held hands (for one cut) on the walk back from Komaba Ranch. I actually had to go back and rewind to make sure I didn't miss it happening in the previous cuts.
The ending was fantastic too, and man oh man, just everything super well-done. Really excited to see where things end up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom