• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattori

Banned
I love Gundam Wing, it was my gateway show to the series. I still get chills whenever I hear that two-mix OP, good times. Oh it's got Noin :)

Narag

It's just, nothing anybody says or does matters, and there's all this empty symbolism strapped to a quest with no goal, with characters with flat, stale personalities and designs so awful I recoil at the thought of anyone ever thinking they'd be neat. Like Bocca? GOD. His whole design is a mess.

I think you've articulated why it's bad now.

Pani Poni Dash! OVA

2RLaEmC.jpg

Commander-in-chief Becky is almost as bad as Edo-period Becky

A game of kick-the-can get really serious. More than 1 person i disguise, and people are getting betrayed, both by their own ahoge and teammates. And the aliens are in Heat this time.

It's more of the same, like it or not. Just with a little bit more fanservice. Oh, and some uh... 'live-action' bits? Yeah, let's call it that.

Nourin 10
Yoshida was so cute this episode. Becky was still quite hilarious though not really in the first part. the male fanservice was quite funny too

I love Gundam Wing, it was my gateway show to the series. I still get chills whenever I hear that two-mix OP, good times. Oh it's got Noin :)

Both of them are great OPs. Plus Last Impression was amazing too! Also Noin is great too, one of my favourite Gundam girls (She's a bit like Emma Sheen actually for me).

Hattori

Banned
Both of them are great OPs. Plus Last Impression was amazing too! Also Noin is great too, one of my favourite Gundam girls (She's a bit like Emma Sheen actually for me).
Gundam Wing had pretty good music. Noin is among the great female characters I've seen when I was a kid back in the 90s that I can still remember.
Oh and maybe Karen from Bt'X but I haven't seen that show since it aired so maybe I'm wrong

cajunator

Banned
God I'm no longer at the age Disney is magical and awesome. I had more fun geeking out in the Harry Potter stores. Now I just see these places as actual amusement parks. Childhood dead.

Worst of all I've been dying to watch zvesda and database database, but still in here. So tired I need to get back to my apartment.

Disney isnt magical but its very good at creating an atmosphere that makes people feel that way.

... (o_O)7

That was certainly something. Hm... Maybe I should watch this too sometime...

Almost there.

Yes you should watch it.

Quasar

-----------------
Log horizon - 24

Well they did set the bar for the last episode where we'll see the conclusion of this saga .. It's a shame that Log horizon ends here since the next arc is entirely akatsuki - focused but such are the law of the anime.

Anyway as his episode proves ...WHEN IN DOUBT , throw a harem at it ...

Loved this. Was great seeing the Westwind Company on screen a bit more. And of course totally great seeing Shiroe flustered.

Sad that there's only one episode to go. And I guess we won't see a S2 anytime soon if at all.

Mahouka got another visual.

Those outfits remind me of Celestial Being's ones from 00 Season 2. I'm not sure what to think here.

After War Gundam X - 16

You know you have an awesome girlfriend when she can talk to dolphins.

Cuz dolphins are awesome.

Ah the dolphin arc! This was a series first AFAIK as it had [Ep 17 Spoiler]
The first and only non human Newtype.

survivor

Banned
Clannad 16

imouto has arrived

it's pretty funny how eve in a non-sports match, the basketball game was full of bullshit, this is why the sports genre is full of garbage. I still don't get the whole point of the match as well. Like what does it even accomplish or why would the choir club even give up? Hell I haven't actually seen a good argument from the theater club on why they deserve to get the advisor. they don't even have any legit members, bunch of scammers

Clannad 16

imouto has arrived

it's pretty funny how eve in a non-sports match, the basketball game was full of bullshit, this is why the sports genre is full of garbage. I still don't get the whole point of the match as well. Like what does it even accomplish or why would the choir club even give up? Hell I haven't actually seen a good argument from the theater club on why they deserve to get the advisor. they don't even have any legit members, bunch of scammers

Well... It is a plan Sunohara has cooked up...

Edit: Double post? Crap...

Strike the Blood Episode 22

Decent conclusion to the Return of the Alchemist arc. Final fight felt weak as just as it took off it ended.
He summoned them all but then did nothing with them, and with two episodes left, no chance for anything truly spectacular to happen tactically using them
he
summonned them and used them but since the anime pacing is so high you didn't get to see it.

It's my opinion that Wing has the best mechanical designs in the franchise. That said, G happens to be my favorite Gundam series. I kind of think the best Gundam shows are the ones that do away with as much of UC as possible, or deny key elements of UC. Which is why Turn A, Build Fighters, and Crossbone are all great.

Melody of Oblivion 11

SIGH.

Name something that goes into a good Shonen show. This show does not have it.

you can do it corvo , the first half is almost over.. Don't lose hope !! if you stop now you'll lose the opportunity to know what the warriors of melos trully are .

Tiger & Bunny The Movie: The Rising

First 30 minutes: What the fuck am I watching?

After the movie: Well shit, maybe I should check the show out some time.

Is the anime worth seeing?

Loved this. Was great seeing the Westwind Company on screen a bit more. And of course totally great seeing Shiroe flustered.

Sad that there's only one episode to go. And I guess we won't see a S2 anytime soon if at all.
All the more annoying considering the next arc also has a strong soujiro ( and her ladies ) moment.
Shiroe being flustered was also nice to see since it's like the only time it'll happen ..i have to admit that random tactics are clearly the worst since there is no flow to them.

But the lesson is learned ..when in doubt ask soujirou... need to defend the nobles while your doing a war ? he can help too :p

A shame we won't see
angry & badass soujirou animated.
log horizon 24

show is just trolling akutsuki now.

LN is so much more violent than the show lol.
Show is doing what they can to keep the main heroine on screen when she has barely any lines in this book .

Magical Warfare 10

Was it ever actually established that dude's
mom is a magician
and I forgot, or are we just expected to know shit?

Yes ,
remember when crazy explosive dude visited the hero room at night ? that was revealed during this scene

Crocodile

So I finished Steins;Gate a bit ago but I never got a chance to write it up. To be honest I don't know if I would have stuck with the show if I was just watching it by myself. Most of the early episodes left me in a daze of "what the hell is going on?". Even back then the strength of the show rested upon the strong cast of characters. They were all kind of kooky and crazy in their own way but they were endearing and I enjoyed watching them interact.

Okabe was the type of dude you'd only find in anime but even then he was charismatic, energetic, confident, intelligent, etc. - i.e. the type of protagonist that had flaws but you enjoyed watching and you grew to care about. He was the best kind of "over the top". Mayuri was adorable whilst dodging most of the shitty moe clichés you find in anime nowadays (or at least was the best representation of them) - I really grew to link her. Daru fit the classic nerd archetype but even whilst doubling down on the otaku he still felt more like a person you might actually meet in real life. The type of weirdo with redeeming qualities and the type of guy who you would think was weird but would still be glad to be his friend. I eventually grew tired of Kurisu's tsundere schtick but aside from that I liked a lot about the character. Suzuha and Faris were pretty fun and had a lot more going to them than you'd think when you first meet them. I didn't care too much for Ruka, he felt a bit like a gimmick character, and Moeka can DIAF for all I care. I guess they can't all be winners *shrug*

Reflecting back on the show, its obvious why the show spent so much time with them running around running errands spouting science jargon - to make us care for the crazy ride that was the second half of the series. HOLY SHIT from pretty much "that event" on the show was an emotional roller-coaster. Almost every episode I was like "WUT" and "OMG". Revelation upon revelation and twisted reality upon twisted reality. When
Kurisu and Okabe finally kiss and say they love each other
, the degree of catharsis I felt meant I knew the writers had done a good job making me care about the cast. It, and the other endings, felt well-earned and I couldn't be happier.

I also want to say the DUB was FANTASTIC. If you didn't like the DUB or preferred the SUB, either you are actually fluent in Japanese or you're a weeaboo. Sorry, there are no other options :p

For negatives I have to say I'm not entirely sure I understood the
time travel logic
used throughout the series and I'm still not sure what Steins;Gate actually is even though I'm sure they straight up told us. That being said
time travel stories
always ends up being nonsense regardless of how well written they are and I don't think if I went back to review & better understand the logic that it would greatly increase my appreciation of the show so I'll let it go.

Some of the subplots also rubbed me the wrong way. As I said before, I wasn't a big fan of Ruka.
Gender Dysphoria
is a real disorder and the show gets minor props for even approaching the subject but it was handled SO CLUMSILY that I can only shake me head. He was too often just used for jokes
(herp derp that boy looks like a girl herp)
and the whole
"Tell my mom to eat veggies to change my gender"
was just SO STUPID I could never let it go.

The subplot between
Kurisu and her dad and how they come to a head in the final episodes
also came off as too stupid and "mustahce-twirly" for me to buy. Compared to the other problems/situations in the rest of the show, this kind of left me rolling my eyes.

My final strike is the actual production of the show. Art, animation, boarding, background art were all kind of meh. Also WAY TOO OFTEN I thought to myself "I CAN'T SEE SHIT" because the screen was way too dark or bright. Like WTF happened when they were making the actual show O_O Still looks better than Samurai Flamenco though :p

Overall, this wasn't a perfect show but it was pretty damn great. I look forward to the movie getting dubbed sometimes soon hopefully :)

Quasar

log horizon 24

show is just trolling akutsuki now.

LN is so much more violent than the show lol.

Is it really? It seems pretty much as I imagined it in my head. Certainly they spent less time on the big battle, but that's understandable given the format. But really the post battle episodes are pretty as written in the LN.

Quasar

All the more annoying considering the next arc also has a strong soujiro ( and her ladies ) moment.
Shiroe being flustered was also nice to see since it's like the only time it'll happen ..i have to admit that random tactics are clearly the worst since there is no flow to them.

But the lesson is learned ..when in doubt ask soujirou... need to defend the nobles while your doing a war ? he can help too :p

A shame we won't see
angry & badass soujirou animated.

True.

It is certainly unfortunate that they they will stop right before the big tiny ninja focused story.

Maybe they could do that as an OVA while they wait for enough books to do a second season.

cnet128

Banned
It's the other way around mang, Guile's design was inspired directly from Stroheim.

Actually the creators claim he was inspired by Polnareff from Part 3, though the resemblance to Stroheim is definitely stronger. (His name was taken straight from Polnareff's archenemy J Geil, apparently because the creators got the two characters mixed up, lol).

Rose was definitely based on Lisa Lisa, though.

cnet128

Banned
Nisekoi 10

Chibi Chitoge in the woods was cute, but that doesn't mean I'll forgive her for ruining Raku's precious alone time with Onodera. Stupid Raku, always doing the right thing instead of the correct pairing thing.

I also want to say the DUB was FANTASTIC. If you didn't like the DUB or preferred the SUB, either you are actually fluent in Japanese or you're a weeaboo. Sorry, there are no other options :p

Yes, the Steins;Gate dub was great, but there are some people who probably enjoyed the sub more seeing as the same voice cast is used from the original Xbox 360 game.

After War Gundam X - 17

Dolphins yo. Don't be screwing around with one of the Earth's most majestic creatures.

Nice to see Tiffa finally showing more emotion and it's good to see her come out of her quiet shell now.

If there's one thing I enjoy about this show, it's that most of the villains these people run into are just a bunch of thieves, rather than an evil army of some sorts. And the thieves are just there to do what thieves do best, steal! So they have to be careful to take the cockpit out in one hit rather than weaken the mecha otherwise it loses its value.

Pretty interesting stuff.

cajunator

Banned
So I finished Steins;Gate a bit ago but I never got a chance to write it up. To be honest I don't know if I would have stuck with the show if I was just watching it by myself. Most of the early episodes left me in a daze of "what the hell is going on?". Even back then the strength of the show rested upon the strong cast of characters. They were all kind of kooky and crazy in their own way but they were endearing and I enjoyed watching them interact.
)

Love this show so much. All the mundane things actually served a purpose and little details made the difference. Kurisu is my favorite kind of tsundere and I think Ruka was handled tastefully. I would have liked a bit more depth into Faris' life.
Another show that handles transitionals in an interesting way is Shangri La. It actually has two and they are very important to the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom