• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strike the Blood Episode 22

Decent conclusion to the Return of the Alchemist arc. Final fight felt weak as just as it took off it ended.
He summoned them all but then did nothing with them, and with two episodes left, no chance for anything truly spectacular to happen tactically using them

CorvoSol

Symbionic Titan 18

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

At first I was like
7Qh8k7K.gif

But now I'm like
jXbl1xD.gif

cnet128

Banned
Nourin 10

BATTLE OF THE EGGPLANTS!

I do wonder why, if the taste was supposedly the greatest asset of Kei's eggplants and the main weapon he was going to use in the battle, I didn't actually see him giving out samples to the customers at any point, instead relying on a variety of crazy marketing strategies to draw their attention. Meanwhile his dad's stall was handing out samples constantly.

It seemed kind of backwards.

Fun to watch, though.

Pani Poni Dash! 26

And so it ends.

It's really hot when the A/C breaks. Luckily the principal brings a swimming pool and everybody gets to cool off. And the aliens plans are finally revealed just before it all ends.

This is my brain:
pllsZ0r.jpg

This is my brain on Pani Poni Dash:
YtWTput.jpg

That makes as much sense as Pani Poni Dash to me. I didn't find the humour in Pani Poni Dash funny. And if the comedy in a comedy anime isn't funny then it kind of fails doesn't it?. I really like Himeko though, just wish she was in a different show I liked more. Ichijo was ok, but I've seen the same kind of character in better shows. There's lots of references, but they're just there and doesn't make it any more funny.

So, I give it 1.5/5 rabbits. 1 for Himeko and 0.5 for Ichijo, all the references and the times it was slightly amusing:
3hs8eHg.png
GaH8P9c.png
V6hojq0.png
V6hojq0.png
V6hojq0.png

Sorry spyhunter. Your favorite anime is s
omething I can't say I like.

Future Card BuddyFight - Episode 11 [Eng]

It's the start of the Aibo Buddy Cup Cup (ABC Cup)! Let's begin the opening ceremony by having two old blokes wrestle in the middle of a stadium. Take that, Beijing!

So we have the Ojou-sama who's name I've conveniently forgotten against Gao 'Dragon Plot Armor' Mikado who UFO lady still has this weird vandetta against. She probably wants him to lose as much as I do and who can blame us!? The Ojou-sama arrives in a big blimp (that I can't lie about) with a huge bell on it which then gave me awful flashbacks of Fuala Griffon from Mobile Suit Gundam Victory. She's actually not too bad really, I thought she played the game pretty well with those combo cards and all that.

Gao still can't come up with a decent victory speech though. Athough I'd peg that one on the dubbers thinking they're being funny. They really upped the cheese in this episode, so much so that there's probably more of it in this episode than in the town of Cheddar right now.

Buddy Count: 39
Total Buddy Count: 507

phaze

That's a one of the commonly-held critiques about the series, its info-dump exposition. However the rest of the series really builds up speed as the Holy Grail War starts to begin mage battle royale style.

Edit: I actually stopped watching F/Z mid-way due to SnK catching my interest. After than ended I went back to F/Z and was hooked on into what came in the second half.

Yeah the first episode was slow but I suppose it it did what it set out to do even if in not a very entertaining fashion. Happy to hear it gets even better.

Best girls in Fate Zero.

1. Saber
2. Waver

haha Didn't quite absorb all the names yet so I needed a second take to catch this. In his defense, it's hard to come off as manly next to the King of Kings !

CorvoSol

Princess Corvo 12

It's Crow Princess' world y'all jus' live in it. Girl more broken than a DBZ villain in his premier episode. She's all "BTW I can speak to the author." and "BTW I'm invincible grl." Surprise pairing of Luci Christian and Chris Patton surprises no one. Koji Kabuto x Sousuke Sagara slash fiction fans go insane from the indulgence. Lot's of naked little girl time you don't bring up outside of this thread because LOL Y U give them so much ammo bro?

jman2050

Princess Corvo 12

It's Crow Princess' world y'all jus' live in it. Girl more broken than a DBZ villain in his premier episode. She's all "BTW I can speak to the author." and "BTW I'm invincible grl." Surprise pairing of Luci Christian and Chris Patton surprises no one. Koji Kabuto x Sousuke Sagara slash fiction fans go insane from the indulgence. Lot's of naked little girl time you don't bring up outside of this thread because LOL Y U give them so much ammo bro?

Just tell them she's a duck and ducks are usually naked anyway!

Also MikeHattsu I got your back, I couldn't get into Pani Poni Dash at all and it's probably my least favorite Shaft show I've watched a significant amount of.

CorvoSol

Just tell them she's a duck and ducks are usually naked anyway!

-Adding Bestiality to the list of bad sexual appetites anime encourages, along with
-Being gay because I mean come on all the guys are pretty so they MUST BE
-Being pedo because I mean, chibis are for pedos no doubt about it, plus I guess Yoko was 14, making her the reverse of Nowi.
-Incest because pretty sure all anime is about this.
-Hentai because getting off to pictures of cartoons isn't a thing that soldiers were doing during the World Wars no sir.
-That weird tentacle shit those weeaboos are into.

cnet128

Banned
Wake Up, Girls! 10

So good to see the girls finally pulling things together and putting on a damn fine performance (even if the show doesn't really have the animation quality to properly sell it =p)

goddammit Hayasaka is there anyone in this godforsaken industry who isn't a two-faced scummy bastard trying to ruin things for everyone

cajunator

Banned
Yeah the first episode was slow but I suppose it it did what it set out to do even if in not a very entertaining fashion. Happy to hear it gets even better.

haha Didn't quite absorb all the names yet so I needed a second take to catch this. In his defense, it's hard to come off as manly next to the King of Kings !

Hah its a running joke here but Waver is awesome. Everybody pretty much loves him.

Log Horizon Episode 22
tumblr_n2hi2gfKhg1rfp5pbo1_500.png
tumblr_n2hi2gfKhg1rfp5pbo2_500.png

Some pleasing moments around but the episode was largely uninteresting. Tohya was too much out of action and there was just nothing going on that was captivating or intriguing. The anime is better in dungeons and such instead of dealing with finding sources of discontent.

Also MikeHattsu I got your back, I couldn't get into Pani Poni Dash at all and it's probably my least favorite Shaft show I've watched a significant amount of.

Only other Shaft show I've seen so far is Hidamari Sketch so it was a bit of a letdown since I love Hidamari Sketch. Next Shaft show I'll watch will probably be Madoka or SoreMachi in a few months time.

Ah, yeah. The OPs are quite good.

There's an OVA.

Yeah. Watching that now. Not reviewing it together with the main series though.

survivor

Banned
Clannad 12

Wait, what?
Fuko is back because? And Kotomi's parents discovered some alternate world? What? Why can't we just go back to tragedies and everyone dying instead of this. Now I wonder if that ugly cg abomination robot and the little girl have actual meaning to the story and not some silly side thing

cajunator

Banned
Only other Shaft show I've seen so far is Hidamari Sketch so it was a bit of a letdown since I love Hidamari Sketch. Next Shaft show I'll watch will probably be Madoka or SoreMachi in a few months time.

Ah, yeah. The OPs are quite good.

Yeah. Watching that now. Not reviewing it together with the main series though.

Ive seen a bunch. Look up the Tsukuyomi moonphase OP for extra weirdness.
Based Shaft.

Clannad 12

Wait, what?
Fuko is back because? And Kotomi's parents discovered some alternate world? What? Why can't we just go back to tragedies and everyone dying instead of this. Now I wonder if that ugly cg abomination robot and the little girl have actual meaning to the story and not some silly side thing

Yeah the
Fuko gag is one of the low points of the first Clannad. It takes what's pretty tragic and uses it for cute little comedy relief.
The other part you mentioned does have relevance. Make sure you pay attention to those.

Gah. That Domon gif I posted makes me want to rewatch G Gundam so bad. It hasn't even been a year since I last watched it!

Gonna be tackling either that or Wing after X. Not sure which one to start with though.

Speaking of Gundam:

After War Gundam X - 15

Roybea and Witz cooldown episode. Sweet, I didn't like those two at first, but they're starting to grow on me a little.

So in this episode we get a better look at Witz's family and we learn that Roybea is a bigger ladies man than at first glance seeing as he goes town to town to dump each and every one of them before moving along to the next.

The dielemma with Witz's mother felt kind of unresolved at the end though. I mean,he just dropped off the gold and left. No reconciliation scene between them, nothing.

One wonders why they introduced the evil vultures in the opening if they weren't going to be of any relevance in the end. I thought that they would kill his family before he took them down, leaving him unable to reconcile with his mother and make the gold he collected for them totally pointless creating a tragedy. But no. Things go pretty well.

It's hard for me to put my finger on my opinion on the show at this point. On one hand I'm enjoying the Gundam battles (the recent ones especially) and some of the characters, while on the other hand everything else is sort of "meh".

Maybe I'm speaking too soon. Perhaps that will change when the show has its big gamechanger moment.

duckroll

Avengers Confidential - Black Widow & Punisher

Well, this was way better than Rise of Technovore, even though that's a pretty low bar. The character design and art direction is still pretty ugly and looks pretty consistent with how Technovore looked. I'm not a fan of how Madhouse has handled these movies with really crappy digital filters for lighting which just look overexposed, and crappy colors all over. That said though, the action and the general direction in the movie is good. There's a nice flow with the way both Black Widow and Punisher fight, and the two styles feel different enough to give the close range fights throughout the film different flavors. I'm really happy they didn't pull any punches on Punisher's mentality either. Lots of killing. In the end the story was kinda dumb and cheesy, but I don't think it's much worse than the average me-too crossover one-shot comic though. At least it wasn't contrived and pretentious like Technovore's script.

I would recommend this to Marvel fans who like anime and want to see Black Widow and Punisher fight random enemies. Probably not for anyone else. Lol.

God I'm no longer at the age Disney is magical and awesome. I had more fun geeking out in the Harry Potter stores. Now I just see these places as actual amusement parks. Childhood dead.

Worst of all I've been dying to watch zvesda and database database, but still in here. So tired I need to get back to my apartment.

cnet128

Banned
ImoCho 11

Onsen antics. Exactly what you'd expect. Plenty of fanservice in the women's baths and then people conveniently wandering into the mixed baths and falling on top of each other just because. Even Hiyori decides to fly around naked, which is an interesting sight.

That dirty dorayaki thief though. Unforgivable.

Odd to think that there's only one more episode of this left. Can't really see them tying anything up in one more episode, so it'll probably be a super open-ended now-go-read-the-manga deal.

CorvoSol

Gonna be tackling either that or Wing after X. Not sure which one to start with though.

It's my opinion that Wing has the best mechanical designs in the franchise. That said, G happens to be my favorite Gundam series. I kind of think the best Gundam shows are the ones that do away with as much of UC as possible, or deny key elements of UC. Which is why Turn A, Build Fighters, and Crossbone are all great.

Melody of Oblivion 11

SIGH.

Name something that goes into a good Shonen show. This show does not have it.

CorvoSol

based OZ

There's actually a really neat little fight in 13 that doesn't belong in the show at all.

You know, it's funny. I know I'm prone to screaming. I know I'm a brute who is rude and thin-skinned. I know I can at times be an ass who refuses to flesh out his points in favor of throwing out expletives instead. But I feel that until this point in time I could actually articulate why each and every show I have ever hated was bad.

I seriously cannot put a finger on why Melody of Oblivion is awful. And that isn't because it's worse than some shows I've seen, it's just that whatever it is that makes it awful is really hard to explain. All I can tell you is that character design is the most awful I have ever seen, and that I feel like this show is the definition of try-hard. It's like it wants desperately to be a popular, cool shonen anime. It wants to be KLK or AoT or SAO but somehow it doesn't want to do the work those shows do. And mind you of those 3 I listed I would not lift any up as a show that was particularly dedicated to being great.

But imagine you took one of those shows, sucked out whatever made it have such widespread popularity, and left it running all the same. That's what Melody of Oblivion is.

If you had to choose between G and Wing it would have to be G, a show so good that in just under two months after I finished it I decided to watch it all over again. It didn't matter that I already knew what was going to happen, it just felt so satisfying to watch. It manages to have the best villain of a Gundam series and the best handling of romance in a Gundam series. I'd even argue that it had the best OPs overall of any Gundam series (Anime ja nai from ZZ still ranking up top for me though).

Narag

You know, it's funny. I know I'm prone to screaming. I know I'm a brute who is rude and thin-skinned. I know I can at times be an ass who refuses to flesh out his points in favor of throwing out expletives instead. But I feel that until this point in time I could actually articulate why each and every show I have ever hated was bad.

I seriously cannot put a finger on why Melody of Oblivion is awful. And that isn't because it's worse than some shows I've seen, it's just that whatever it is that makes it awful is really hard to explain. All I can tell you is that character design is the most awful I have ever seen, and that I feel like this show is the definition of try-hard. It's like it wants desperately to be a popular, cool shonen anime. It wants to be KLK or AoT or SAO but somehow it doesn't want to do the work those shows do. And mind you of those 3 I listed I would not lift any up as a show that was particularly dedicated to being great.

But imagine you took one of those shows, sucked out whatever made it have such widespread popularity, and left it running all the same. That's what Melody of Oblivion is.

I think a lot of it is because of how aimless everything is, weird for the sake of weird shit, etc. It's like all the referential shit was decided on in advance and they struggled to make a story connecting it all. lol

Midonin

Happiness Charge Precure! 07

The yuri goggles are being charged loud and clear. Another week of Hime and food-related issues, but it did result in some awesome new attacks. Megumi can summon a freaking sword, and the two get a combo attack that calls back to Suite and also Futari wa. That's pretty incredible. I've enjoyed all these episodes of friendship bonding - MeguHime is great, and Yuyu's adorable - but next week has more of Cure Tomatsu. And the overplot?

This week's cameo: Karen!

It's my opinion that Wing has the best mechanical designs in the franchise. That said, G happens to be my favorite Gundam series. I kind of think the best Gundam shows are the ones that do away with as much of UC as possible, or deny key elements of UC. Which is why Turn A, Build Fighters, and Crossbone are all great.

Wing's mecha are indeed badass. I actually purchased my first Gundam model and it's a mecha from Wing. Such good designs.

If you had to choose between G and Wing it would have to be G, a show so good that in just under two months after I finished it I decided to watch it all over again. It didn't matter that I already knew what was going to happen, it just felt so satisfying to watch. It manages to have the best villain of a Gundam series and the best handling of romance in a Gundam series. I'd even argue that it had the best OPs overall of any Gundam series (Anime ja nai from ZZ still ranking up top for me though).

Oh hell yes I've heard G Gundam's first opening and good lord it is beautiful. I love that song so much.

I'm probably going to be watching Wing before G however, since G is different from the others and is apparently the best of the bunch. Might as well the best for last. It's also mostly because I've been given the impression that Gundam Wing is apparently "Sailor Moon with Men and Mecha"

Hell, on Fanfiction.net there's an entire category dedicated to Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing crossovers. So I have my curiosity.

CorvoSol

Every time I reach the end of the G series, I cry glorious manly tears.

I actually think Silent Heart is better than Anime Ja Nai, though.

I think a lot of it is because of how aimless everything is, weird for the sake of weird shit, etc. It's like all the referential shit was decided on in advance and they struggled to make a story connecting it all. lol

It's just, nothing anybody says or does matters, and there's all this empty symbolism strapped to a quest with no goal, with characters with flat, stale personalities and designs so awful I recoil at the thought of anyone ever thinking they'd be neat. Like Bocca? GOD. His whole design is a mess.

Wing's mecha are indeed badass. I actually purchased my first Gundam model and it's a mecha from Wing. Such good designs.

Oh hell yes I've heard G Gundam's first opening and good lord it is beautiful. I love that song so much.

I'm probably going to be watching Wing before G however, since G is different from the others and is apparently the best of the bunch. Might as well the best for last. It's also mostly because I've been given the impression that Gundam Wing is apparently "Sailor Moon with Men and Mecha"

Hell, on Fanfiction.net there's an entire category dedicated to Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing crossovers. So I have my curiosity.

Well it helps that Wing was probably the first Gundam most Americans ever saw, and while I think it's less popular than SEED, it's probably the 2nd most popular AU.

But G is still probably the best, because it throws away so many Tominoisms and makes so much else amazing.

Narag

It's also mostly because I've been given the impression that Gundam Wing is apparently "Sailor Moon with Men and Mecha"

...the hell? It's Universal Century-redux with bishies.

Well Corvo is discovering that magical girl shows are basically just mecha shows with girls instead of mechs. So it doesn't surprise me one bit that Wing is being compared to Sailor Moon.

...the hell? It's Universal Century-redux with bishies.

Although when I was watching Wing. This was what I was getting from it. It's funny how closely they followed the UC progression right up to Char's Counterattack.

Now that the Sailor Moon remake is actually a thing I think I'll have to start watching Sailor Moon. My interest is piqued.

Holy shit episode 4 of Seitokai Yakuindomo killed me, I mean it made me laugh so hard that i accidentally sprayed juice out of my mouth. It was freakin hilarious.

survivor

Banned
Clannad 14

The bear has finally arrived, but Kotomi :( Compared to Fuko's conclusion, this was less over the top? I mean for starters there was no insert song playing all the sudden, but also there were less tears. Not sure which was better yet.

Kimagure Orange Road is like ghetto Maison Ikkoku.

But since I can't have more Maison Ikkoku, ghetto Ikkoku will be enough. Atleast it looks better than many rom-coms I have watched recently.

Kimagure Orange Road is certainly one of the most influential rom-coms of all time and hugely popular among the Western fansub crowd. Eventually though more wacky Takahashi works like Ranma ½ ended up with more mindshare, even though those two are starting to be forgotten. The stuff that, even today, holds up the best in that vein is still Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura but those have been largely forgotten as well. That's just the nature of anime fandom, it's focused around what's coming out and everyone watching the latest thing.

I like to sometimes look back and see how things were. There are a lot of great anime I didn't get the chance to watch that I know and some more I have found through animegaf.

That's Toei, not Takeuchi. The PGSM edition of the manga is good too.

KOR starts and ends strong, but I wonder if you'll find the middle as tiresome as I did. The status quo is painfully strong there.

I'm just saying what I heard over here, but Takeuchi or Toei, someone doesn't want to help. =p
I don't know, if KOR keeps the upbeat atmosphere and Kurumi(Yeah!) doing funny things. I don't think I'll find it tiresome(famous last words?), well, it's not like I'm know by my high standards, the bare minimum I need is some laughs. :D

=========================================================

Urusei Yatsura - 90
An entire episode about Ryuunosuke training to be a girl?! I approve.
It's not even funny how good Ataru can mimic a woman. He's a pro, all thanks to Atashi, the secret is with Atashi.

Urusei Yatsura - 91

Just too good. The betraython, the schemes, the girls.
lol @ Kyoko and Rumiko getting a vote.

Urusei Yatsura - 92

When did Kotetsu Neko started to be so prominent background character?

Urusei Yatsura - 93

Did I really need a recap about Mendou's life?

Urusei Yatsura - 94

0UaXJ6q.jpg

Spank! Spank! Pow! Pow!
Poor dad, you can see the fear in his eyes.
Bizarro Ten is back, what's up with these proportions?
Hito, they are trying to fuck up my mind again.

Urusei Yatsura - 95

Cherry tells Ten a fairytale that's basically a giant mishmash of Japanese children's stories and it's pretty funny the sheer number of stories he mashes.

Urusei Yatsura - 96
3WM6hlw.jpg
XoNzYTe.jpg

Anything for a bra.
Poor kid Ryuunosuke, she couldn't use the prohibited underwear. What? Shinobu x Ryuunosuke?

Urusei Yatsura - 97

Meh.

Urusei Yatsura - 98

Kya, Ran-chan doushio?
Darling. Darling. Darling. Darling. Darling. Darling. Darling.

Urusei Yatsura - 99
Fast-food fighters start hitting the scene in Tomobiki, this is some pre-Ranma ½ idea.

Urusei Yatsura - 100

DTcHGot.jpg

Don't you say?
LBDotrF.jpg
WK8AFh7.jpg

It's real creepy how similar they are.
Where's Lum-chan? This episode is all about Ataru x Mendou trying to out-survive each other, while getting away rich, b-but...b-but...YUUHI NO BAKAYARO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom