• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
Non Non Biyori 2

Suguru has the worst harem EVER. :p

ibnD8oACGhMI2r.jpg

So much :SDBurton. Fun episode.

So I finished Steins;Gate a bit ago but I never got a chance to write it up. To be honest I don't know if I would have stuck with the show if I was just watching it by myself. Most of the early episodes left me in a daze of "what the hell is going on?". Even back then the strength of the show rested upon the strong cast of characters. They were all kind of kooky and crazy in their own way but they were endearing and I enjoyed watching them interact.

Okabe was the type of dude you'd only find in anime but even then he was charismatic, energetic, confident, intelligent, etc. - i.e. the type of protagonist that had flaws but you enjoyed watching and you grew to care about. He was the best kind of "over the top". Mayuri was adorable whilst dodging most of the shitty moe clichés you find in anime nowadays (or at least was the best representation of them) - I really grew to link her. Daru fit the classic nerd archetype but even whilst doubling down on the otaku he still felt more like a person you might actually meet in real life. The type of weirdo with redeeming qualities and the type of guy who you would think was weird but would still be glad to be his friend. I eventually grew tired of Kurisu's tsundere schtick but aside from that I liked a lot about the character. Suzuha and Faris were pretty fun and had a lot more going to them than you'd think when you first meet them. I didn't care too much for Ruka, he felt a bit like a gimmick character, and Moeka can DIAF for all I care. I guess they can't all be winners *shrug*

Reflecting back on the show, its obvious why the show spent so much time with them running around running errands spouting science jargon - to make us care for the crazy ride that was the second half of the series. HOLY SHIT from pretty much "that event" on the show was an emotional roller-coaster. Almost every episode I was like "WUT" and "OMG". Revelation upon revelation and twisted reality upon twisted reality. When
Kurisu and Okabe finally kiss and say they love each other
, the degree of catharsis I felt meant I knew the writers had done a good job making me care about the cast. It, and the other endings, felt well-earned and I couldn't be happier.

I also want to say the DUB was FANTASTIC. If you didn't like the DUB or preferred the SUB, either you are actually fluent in Japanese or you're a weeaboo. Sorry, there are no other options :p

For negatives I have to say I'm not entirely sure I understood the
time travel logic
used throughout the series and I'm still not sure what Steins;Gate actually is even though I'm sure they straight up told us. That being said
time travel stories
always ends up being nonsense regardless of how well written they are and I don't think if I went back to review & better understand the logic that it would greatly increase my appreciation of the show so I'll let it go.

Some of the subplots also rubbed me the wrong way. As I said before, I wasn't a big fan of Ruka.
Gender Dysphoria
is a real disorder and the show gets minor props for even approaching the subject but it was handled SO CLUMSILY that I can only shake me head. He was too often just used for jokes
(herp derp that boy looks like a girl herp)
and the whole
"Tell my mom to eat veggies to change my gender"
was just SO STUPID I could never let it go.

The subplot between
Kurisu and her dad and how they come to a head in the final episodes
also came off as too stupid and "mustahce-twirly" for me to buy. Compared to the other problems/situations in the rest of the show, this kind of left me rolling my eyes.

My final strike is the actual production of the show. Art, animation, boarding, background art were all kind of meh. Also WAY TOO OFTEN I thought to myself "I CAN'T SEE SHIT" because the screen was way too dark or bright. Like WTF happened when they were making the actual show O_O Still looks better than Samurai Flamenco though :p

Overall, this wasn't a perfect show but it was pretty damn great. I look forward to the movie getting dubbed sometimes soon hopefully :)

First , it's not exactly Gender dysphoria for ruka ... 2 problems are at the root of her problem. Ruka dad had to cope with her wife dying so he is at the root of her problem and influenced him that much . that's why his primary goal was to become manlier. It doesn't work , because :
-she ask okabe for advice
-ruka dad is still nearby.
He was satisfied with his gender Until he could find a way to become closer to the one he admired ( becoming a girl )..
These Two states ( with ruka ) are actually close but result in a situation where gender dysphoria can be argued that he doesn't really suffer for it .
His wish to become a girl is the result of "being raised as a girl" + the " desire to be closer to the one i admire".
The "tell my mom" part is stupid but nobody think it will work, not okabe , not kurisu not anyone it's a stupid plot device , nothing else.it just goes into the realm of "unexpected action provokes a change nobody could have forseen"

Second the dark & white effect are an attempt to stay close to the game style

Third, the sub is damn great , i actually find the sub superior , not that the dub is bad ... it's an ok dub ( and i usually don't like them ).. okabe , kurisu , mr braun , moeka are quite superior on the japanese dub.

Aria the Animation - 5-13 END
Aria is a shmaltzy show. It takes place in a welcoming future Venice on Mars with a main character so optimistic and accepting of the up and downs of life that it's infectious. That optimism exudes through every relationship and hardship that happens in the show. It's unabashedly shmaltzy from the get-go and it owns it so well to the point where it comes full circle and becomes completely genuine. Along with a really solid cast of characters across the board, the warm, inviting atmosphere that it sets early on won me over quickly. It also helps that it never skips a beat.

I even got a bit emotional in a few episodes, which makes me that much more excited to return to these characters to see what's next. I loooved this.

Princess Tutu 3-4

You know, a show like this would really benefit if it looked good. Having visuals like Paprika would really be great.

That said, I am going to assume that Ahiru is going to continue to have no confidence in herself when it comes to Mytho, which is strange because she seems to have the confidence to stand up to the popular girl and tall, dark, and handsome.

CorvoSol

Princess Tutu 3-4

You know, a show like this would really benefit if it looked good. Having visuals like Paprika would really be great.

That said, I am going to assume that Ahiru is going to continue to have no confidence in herself when it comes to Mytho, which is strange because she seems to have the confidence to stand up to the popular girl and tall, dark, and handsome.

#1stworldduckproblems

Actually the creators claim he was inspired by Polnareff from Part 3, though the resemblance to Stroheim is definitely stronger. (His name was taken straight from Polnareff's archenemy J Geil, apparently because the creators got the two characters mixed up, lol).

Rose was definitely based on Lisa Lisa, though.

Huh, you learn something new every day. Not hard to see why Polnareff works too, but I agree that Stroheim has a way stronger resemblance.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 22

I kinda hope (and it probably will be) that this was Kimitaka's last episode, because for a character I didn't like for the majority of the show, this was a good sendoff for him.

Also I had completely forgotten that the fairies existed.

Mature

Symbionic Titan 18

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I was waiting for this. Especially after all your praise over a certain someone.

Princess Tutu 3-4

If I remember correctly, it's easier to stand up to assholes than it is for someone you want to bone.

duckroll

So after working pretty much exclusively with Brains Base from 2007 to 2012 on everything he directs, Omori suddenly started working on stuff outside the studio. First he did Samurai Flamenco at Manglobe, and now the new Durarara TV series is produced by a totally unknown animation studio called Shuka, except with the exact same core staff. What's going on?

cnet128

Banned
Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda 10

fuckyeah
White Light show their true corrupt-as-fuck colours and Renge chooses the correct side
=D

Things don't look too good for our protags right now, but...hey, they still have Kate, right?!

Articalys

So after working pretty much exclusively with Brains Base from 2007 to 2012 on everything he directs, Omori suddenly started working on stuff outside the studio. First he did Samurai Flamenco at Manglobe, and now the new Durarara TV series is produced by a totally unknown animation studio called Shuka, except with the exact same core staff. What's going on?
Yeah, that was the weird part of the news. I didn't know what the hell Shuka was -- can't find a website for them or anything, hell I wasn't even sure if that was the studio name or something else -- so I initially left them out of the post, but I'll put them in now.

Shengar

It's finally revealed: a new season of Durarara!! is coming.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/821/821216/

edit: staff is the same as before: Takahiro Omori directing, Noboru Takagi on series comp, Takahiro Kishida on character design, Makoto Yoshimori on music. The listed studio is not Brain's Base, but 朱夏 (Shuka), some studio that apparently no one's ever heard of until now.
RObDh63.gif

2014, the year where Anime saved.
Who am I kidding, of course not! No until they bring us Baccano S2 and Spice and Wolf S3, but this is just a wet dream of mine ;__;

Aria the Animation - 5-13 END
Aria is a shmaltzy show. It takes place in a welcoming future Venice on Mars with a main character so optimistic and accepting of the up and downs of life that it's infectious. That optimism exudes through every relationship and hardship that happens in the show. It's unabashedly shmaltzy from the get-go and it owns it so well to the point where it comes full circle and becomes completely genuine. Along with a really solid cast of characters across the board, the warm, inviting atmosphere that it sets early on won me over quickly. It also helps that it never skips a beat.

I even got a bit emotional in a few episodes, which makes me that much more excited to return to these characters to see what's next. I loooved this.

You still have a lot more of Aria to watch then!

After War Gundam X - 18

Wait what?

So wait, did Tiffa just get possessed? That has to be what happened here right? They're not going to reveal that Tiffa was actually Jamil's girlfriend all along here are they?

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 23

So Orihime-sama being an obnoxious drunk would be the Japanese equivalent to like...Santa Claus being an obnoxious drunk?

Pretty funny episode though. I like how there was just a sign standing right there in the sky world. I don't know why, it just seems funny that there they are in the Milky Way and then there's just a sign there. Part with Leo reading Doremi's horoscope was funny too.

Gazoinks

Clannad 12

Wait, what?
Fuko is back because? And Kotomi's parents discovered some alternate world? What? Why can't we just go back to tragedies and everyone dying instead of this. Now I wonder if that ugly cg abomination robot and the little girl have actual meaning to the story and not some silly side thing

Them bringing Fuko back is one of my bigger problems with Clannad, as I really liked her arc and then they went and killed the impact of it completely. Also, fun fact: Kotomi is my least favorite character in the series. :p

Also, the CG robot and the girl do have significance, but I won't say more than that.

raven777

oh so the new Durarara is not made by Brain Base, but the core staff is the same?

I don't know if I should be worried or not..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom