• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The World God Only Knows 08

Uh? What? ∑(゚Д゚)

Weird... But funny.

I got this reference:
MHWKxxM.jpg

Don't think I know these though:

And something lost in translation?

Gatchaman Crowds 3

I'm starting to get it a bit more. Also the obvious commentary on social media and technology is like non-stop. I'm assuming that's the point of the anime.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Saiensufikushon Shounen Lyrical Nanoha: Special Victims UnitS Episode 2:

Hello yuri overtones, my old friend, we meet here again. I mentioned in my last A"s review that Fate and Nanoha would end up sharing a bed, I was right, I was right, I just wasn't counting on it being such an open relationship with Hyate and even that fucking pixie Reinforce. It isn't helping matters that pretty much everybody from past episodes who had an X chromosome has been at best demoted to extra. Also, I think Tia and Subaru are a couple as well given how they at with each other. I suppose it is nice to know that this show does continues on that proud magical girl tradition of them being lesbians until proven otherwise. Oh yea, there was a flashback and we are seeing Mobile Section Nine being formed or something.

cajunator

Banned
Ritsu's my shining star <3

Hell yes &#9829;

Also, is it just me or does the Wake Up Girls movie BD cover look like it got hit with the partial version of the GoHands filter...

hmm. There is a bit of the multicolor chaos going on there but I like it in this instance.

Ooh, just took a look through those drop posts that Vito linked earlier, and...

Miuna x Miuna new OTP XD

cute :)

Speaking of OPs, does everyone still hate the new Golden Time OP? it's kinda growing on me...

I dont like it at alllll.

Strike the blood - 17
Strike%20the%20Blood%20-%2017.jpg

No you're actually fine.
This episode was a classic case of "hunter becomes the hunted".

You have to give praise to her , in this situation to manage to gain enough time to outsmart this opponent Of course she didn't know that there was multiple opponents but that's still a nice achievement.

I'm still laughing that "They saw them on TV" and they made the correct deductions from it , it's a bit of plot armor right there.

As for DTL , eh i mean Vatler , just how broken the guy is ? He just got his ass beat by "you know who" but now he is taking part of his little fun after having his gentleman attire changed.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
As for DTL , eh i mean Vatler

I laughed.

Strike the Blood 17

Same as R_thanatos, I also noticed the ridiculous plot armor in the "saw them on TV" scene. Had to laugh at that a bit.

Also, was I the only one hoping to see vampire-Kojou pedaling away like a maniac at warp speed on that little bike? :lol

Speaking of Vatler, though, I still really like the guy. He's like a fabulous version of Akuma. Gives no shits about allegiances, just wants a good fight.
Judging from the previews, he gets his ass kicked pretty hard next week, though.

I laughed.

Strike the Blood 17

Same as R_thanatos, I also noticed the ridiculous plot armor in the "saw them on TV" scene. Had to laugh at that a bit.
I guess that it's still better than a "met by chance" encounter

Also, was I the only one hoping to see vampire-Kojou pedaling away like a maniac at warp speed on that little bike? :lol
Got 1 air bike trick, better than nothing i guess ... And whip-girl was screaming and it
was a legitimate pushiment for hurting astarte.
so kojou on a bike wasn't a priority.
Speaking of Vatler, though, I still really like the guy. He's like a fabulous version of Akuma. Gives no shits about allegiances, just wants a good fight.
Judging from the previews, he gets his ass kicked pretty hard next week, though.

You can bet he'll enjoy it all the way

Hozuki no Reitetsu 5

This show is hilarious. The first segment was a lot of fun, playing off the chemistry of rivals between Hozuki and Harutaku, but the whole Sports Day segment was just incredible, from Offenbach to Rube Goldberg. So much great slapstick and character humor. I feel bad for the people who were scared away by how Japanese the show is, because it has so much to offer.

cajunator

Banned
I don't care for any of the music for 99% of my animu. Only few shows (Noragami, Attack on Titan, Un-Go, Cowboy Bebop) make me care about their music. So no it doesn't bother me seeing how I skip most of the OP's and ED's after the first listening

edit: forgot to mention Gurren Lagann in my list of good music. ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWA

Music is pretty important to me. It was a big part of the effectiveness of space bros and chihayafuru for example. Good stuff. It can make a mediocre show more exciting.

Oh my god, twintails with drills.

Holy shit.

She's a little flat too, so it's gotta be a chest-complex, ojou, tsundere.

pretty good combination. Potential god tier character.

Sakura Trick 5
So adorable. I like that both sisters like Haruka yet Haruka thinks Mitsuki is her rival for Yuu. Yuu is especially adorable with the cute things she does

yuu is sooooo cute. But her hair style puts her cuteness in the stratosphere.

Actively debating dropping StirkerS at this point.

Well to be fair you were warned.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Light Novel reboot with imoutos. Light and Sayu vs. L and genderflipped Near retconned as L's relative. In this version, Sayu is in love with Light, and after discovering his secret, she tears out a scrap of the Death Note and tells Light that she'll write his name in it if he doesn't become her boyfriend. Thus, an uncomfortable partnership is born that slowly becomes true love.

Midonin

Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live 44

So the black Rinne last week wasn't just a way to save budget on character models.
June is actually the Regina to Rinne's Aguri, which sort of makes sense. Only she's older and also fallen in love with someone, so fusing the two of them back togeth- oh, wait, ManaRegi, never mind. Also, all the penguins were just part of the one, greater penguin that was seen way back in episode 1 and intermittently urging Momo to get her ass in gear.
Collectible trinkets being part of one greater thing is basically expected for kids' shows, though the stakes of "people can't do Prism Shows anymore" feel lower stakes compared to a Precure finale. I don't mind so much because I like the characters, but it does make me aware of what I got myself into.

So
Rinne needs to perform with everyone and unlock the true ultimate potential of the seven colored penguins
like Naru did before in order to wrap up her plotline. I'm okay with this. Rinne/June produced some great music, and Rinne/Naru has me turning on the yuri goggles, but switching up some variation in the performances, I'm okay with that.

Light Novel reboot with imoutos. Light and Sayu vs. L and genderflipped Near retconned as L's relative. In this version, Sayu is in love with Light, and after discovering his secret, she tears out a scrap of the Death Note and tells Light that she'll write his name in it if he doesn't become her boyfriend. Thus, an uncomfortable partnership is born that slowly becomes true love.

Uguuuuuuuuuu~

Gazoinks

Clannad After Story 5

A new arc beeegiiiins. This show is already better than Clannad for focusing on side characters with actual personalities. Also no drama club business. Kind of funny, I was just thinking that Nagisa and Tomoya barely act like a couple and then it got brought up in this episode.

gemu giru gan go gufo

I looked this up and I'm still confused.

Actively debating dropping StirkerS at this point.

StrikerS is nothing special and is more or less a re-hash. Honestly, you're better off watching the Nanoha movies at this point.

Well this came out of nowhere!!

Music is pretty important to me. It was a big part of the effectiveness of space bros and chihayafuru for example. Good stuff. It can make a mediocre show more exciting.

This is exactly the reason why I love Fairy Tail. It's music man. SO GOOD.

Clannad After Story 5

A new arc beeegiiiins. This show is already better than Clannad for focusing on side characters with actual personalities. Also no drama club business. Kind of funny, I was just thinking that Nagisa and Tomoya barely act like a couple and then it got brought up in this episode.

That's one of the most annoying tropes in anime when they decide to continue a show with romance in it. Don't be lazy for the sake of keeping the status quo. At least Clannad tried to move things on and does something not many high school shows do.

Gazoinks

That's one of the most annoying tropes in anime when they decide to continue a show with romance in it. Don't be lazy for the sake of keeping the status quo. At least Clannad tried to move things on and does something not many high school shows do.

Yeah, I've got to give them credit for not just ending with the confession like the vast majority of anime romance, especially high school romance. That's supposed to be the beginning damn it!

Hozuki no Reitetsu 5

This show is hilarious. The first segment was a lot of fun, playing off the chemistry of rivals between Hozuki and Harutaku, but the whole Sports Day segment was just incredible, from Offenbach to Rube Goldberg. So much great slapstick and character humor. I feel bad for the people who were scared away by how Japanese the show is, because it has so much to offer.

That's one of the things that attracted me to it, but I really didn't know what to expect going in. I'm glad it turned out to be a comedy. And it's so different from the 30,000 high school anime out there.

Jarmel

Banned
Kill La Kill 17-

This is already so much better than the first half. There is a clear goal in mind for the show and it's actually progressing towards it. It's really a shame that it has taken this long to get rolling.

Oh and Ragyo looks straight up like Kefka now.

Clannad After Story 5

Glad to hear your digging this. Can't wait to see what you think of later episodes.

Ugh I know right. Every anime ends with the MC confessing or never deciding and it ends there. So glad Clannad went the opposite way with it.

Yeah, I've got to give them credit for not just ending with the confession like the vast majority of anime romance, especially high school romance. That's supposed to be the beginning damn it!

Agreed!

cnet128

Banned
Precure All-Stars DX The Movie: Minna Tomodachi - Kiseki no Zen'in Daishuugou!

Yessssss, it's finally time! I've kind of been looking forward to the onset of the All-Stars movies ever since I first started my Precure journey, and I wasn't disappointed by this first one. 70 minutes straight of nothing but the best kind of fanservice! So good to see all these characters return and interact with each other for the first time.

I apologise in advance for the rather large bandwidth load of this post. I tried to restrain myself, I really did >.>

iB6XzA5qmbG9z.png

First things first, we all know what the most important thing is about this movie&#8230; The best character of all time, Minori, returns! For all of about 15 seconds.

ig2KkXXuBUlGk.png

Best mascot also returns! &#8230;And gets about as much screentime as Minori D:

lPdMQo8.gif

Did they really just go there? Oh, you bet they did!

iSt6zZ74Ck2r0.png

NATSUKASHIIIIIIIIIIII

irhh1uG9DpuSP.png

Got enough mascots there? I dread to think what the later All-Stars movies must be like!

ibc3jTnXNolL4k.png

Ah, I can always count on Chiffon to provide the requisite adorableness. I'm pretty sure this is the best use to which a Miracle Light has ever been put.

iguYAPm1bYxF2.png

This movie achieved many things. One of them was finally giving Takehito Koyasu a role befitting of his sheer fabulous superlativeness. Fusion is a pretty cool guy, he transforms into whatever the fuck he feels like and doesn't afraid of anything. Beats Koyasu's last Precure villain, Scorp, any day. (Though of course his seminal Precure role will always be Nagisa's dad =p)

ibjQZlNsF40QtP.png

Fusion's transformation abilities and desire to unite everything into a singularity of Koyasu fabulousness also provided an excellent excuse to bring back the Zakenna, Uzaina, Kowaina and Hoshiina all at once. Nakiwameke clearly got rejected on grounds of not ending in "na".

SyMXtsZ.gif

Other things Fusion brought to the table: fabulous light effects&#8230;

lv5bBzP.gif

&#8230;and even more fabulous liquid-shifting effects. He was doing this shit pretty much constantly whenever he was on screen. It took all the willpower I could muster not to just gif half of the movie.

iRy2jEC8QILYX.png

Is that Zakenna a goddamn aeroplane? DAMN RIGHT IT'S AN AEROPLANE.

tFH5M87.gif

So uh, guys, is it wrong if I found this scene kind of hot?

ibb898YcZhFj43.png

If there's one thing I learned from this movie, it's that the hometowns of all the various Precure are surprisingly close to one another. Like, you can literally see the Fresh girls' hometown from any of the other locations in all the series. (No, not that kind of hometown&#8230;)

i2t0NyZRKAoSq.png

And while we're here, I'd just like to draw attention to the greatest crime committed by Max Heart: erasing the original duo's original transformation sequence from existence and replacing it with this shit. Thanks, Max Heart, for ensuring that we'll never see Nagisa and Honoka's classy original transformations again even in a nostalgia-fest like this movie. Thanks a lot.

iFErrNXyKCG3b.png

This movie did bring the series back to its roots in a lot of ways, though, not least in its big theme. With Fusion's goal being to unite the entire world into one being, the Cures' objection of choice was of course that what makes them such a great team is that they're all so different, which was a big theme of the original series (Nagisa and Honoka being diametric opposites).

Strength in diversity is ostensibly a theme of the series as a whole, but I don't feel like it's really been brought to the forefront so much lately, so it was cool to see it being given the spotlight as the main theme here. And of course it tied in perfectly with the idea of all these different teams coming together as one, united despite their different origins.

nKOsgO5.gif

That said, I'm not sure it's really fair on the other Cures to be fighting in the same battle as the Splash Star girls. They can't really compare, can they? Nothing to see here, just Saki and Mai reminding us why they're the BEST GODDAMN CURES EVER.

qYsqENW.gif

Holy crap, Milk, when did you learn that trick?

So yeah, this was a damn good movie. I'm looking forward to seeing how the subsequent All-Star movies fare when I get to them, and how they cope with the rapidly growing number of Cures who need screentime. This really felt like the sweet spot in terms of number of teams vying for attention, so I have a sneaking suspicion it's all downhill from here, but hey, I'm sure it'll be fun whatever happens. If nothing else, I'll always be able to bask in the wonders of all the classic transformation sequences over and over again.

Verdict: LET'S PRECURE/10 (I was kind of hoping the Cures would all say that line in unison - it seemed like the perfect opportunity when they all transformed in sequence with the Fresh girls last in line - but alas, it was not to be.)

DX2 is pretty eh. It's definitely the Fresh/Heartcatch show, although Yes! 5's get a good showing as well.
One of the reasons why it's eh is... well... like one of the Splash Star movie's flaws. OOC antics for the Heartcatchers (mainly Erika).
DX3 is a step up in that regard, and it's practically a fight fest for the most part.

New Stage onwards..... well....

Midonin

Precure All-Stars DX The Movie: Minna Tomodachi - Kiseki no Zen'in Daishuugou!
2009, the year Toei was bitten by the crossover bug. This, too, is Decade's fault.

Though for me, these movies have the problem of always coming a little too early in the runs of the series they debuted along. Six, sevenish episodes is only enough time to build up the roughest of rough personalities for the characters, and these movies likely start production around/before their series. Any later would probably overlap with the main series movie, I guess, but it's a consistent downside. The movies are still great even with that handicap, though.

2009, the year Toei was bitten by the crossover bug. This, too, is Decade's fault.

Though for me, these movies have the problem of always coming a little too early in the runs of the series they debuted along. Six, sevenish episodes is only enough time to build up the roughest of rough personalities for the characters, and these movies likely start production around/before their series. Any later would probably overlap with the main series movie, I guess, but it's a consistent downside. The movies are still great even with that handicap, though.

DAMN YOU DECADE!

That does remind me though, I wonder how Megumi and Hime will be handled... and I guess Yuuko for that matter. The strangest part for me is that Doki's were handled well in regards to who they are, but like... Heartcatch's were the worst that I recall.

Gazoinks

Gintama 39

Katsura has ascended to god tier. Really good episode. Nice mix of the feels and comedy without it feeling jarring, and it was nice to have an episode focusing on Zura.

Gintama 39

Katsura has ascended to god tier. Really good episode. Nice mix of the feels and comedy without it feeling jarring, and it was nice to have an episode focusing on Zura.

58AEYT7.gif

Katsura always delivers.

Heroman 1-13

Is it wrong I'm enjoying this? There's cheesy Marvel romance, the main kid isn't a wimp, boss with the ladies, and animation is damn good. Also no anime tropes. That's refreshing.

Saki Episode of Side A 03

Uh huh, that was a pretty fast prefecture tournament.

All that build up from last week's episode pretty much evaporated in three minutes which was kinda silly. I'm not even sure if the plot is normally this quick or they are just skipping the non-important stuff that's happening in the sticks until all this big stuff that happens in the big city.

We're also getting more character development than actual mahjong playing. There's less focus on the actual gameplaying and instead it's just results, results, results.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, not feeling the generic sci-fi military shonen feel of StirkerS but I have no desire to watch the movies either. Time for a fresh series I surmise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom