• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyhow, thought it might be fun to toy with the idea of New Year’s resolution nonsense (past the universal one we all share of watching less anime) and having folk picking some backlog stuff to finally get to this year rather than putting off for one reason or another. More than likely it’s something popular that might engender some discussion rather than people talking past one another and, frankly, deadline pressure doesn’t hurt. I wouldn’t get too involved though given how life can throw one a curveball nor would I expect everyone to post about every episode watched but hey, there’s still good stuff for most of us to watch yet.

To get us started, I took an informal poll of some people to help serve as an example. Something, say, like one long series, a couple short series, a handful of movies, or some sort of combination would be ideal. It’s not meant to be a burden but rather that extra push to chisel away at the lingering part of the ol’ backlog.

ZachDeKoromaru
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Sailor Moon S

Anyhow, I’ll leave this open until the end of the month and finalize it then if there’s enough interest. We can all have a good laugh at MPR when everyone but him has finished at the end of the year.
Let the records show that Sailor Moon R is a bad season that has cured my insomnia several times these past few months.

I will however be looking forward to S and Haruka/Uranus' handsomeness enveloping me. Not sure how much I'll talk about that considering so many here are just waiting on Hulu's release.

javac

Watching RahXphon currently, and I'm planning to watch the whole Gundam UC Timeline for the first time. Also have the whole of Code Geass to watch and a whole bunch of other stuff including random things like Windy Tales, Master Keaton, Planetes, The Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong, the Macross Series and many more! 2015 will be the year I clear out my backlog. Nothing releasing this year seems up my alley but I look forward to a western release of When Marnie Was There. I may also watch Monster and Legend of the Galactic Heroes if I find time. 2014 was a year in which I watched a lot of stuff, but this year should be more packed! :)

Quasar

KanColle - so just how similar to Ars Nova (which I liked) is it? i know its game based and about girls and battleships.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'll do Hidasketch so I can make fun of mandoric.

Bonkoi Episode 13
B6eGRj9CYAAWXng.png

Made me wish to see how Food War's bento contest will be animated, though at least this anime tried.

Ryou kun part at the end, love his one eyed look at us.

Tuck

Still have a pretty massive backlog to get through on Funimation, and wont even touch that till I finish Arrow. So, maybe not too much anime for a while.

But Yoru no Yatterman does look interesting, so I may watch that, and I'll definitely be watching Log Horizon.

Yamato 2199 - 03

The theory of black hole travels? Sign me up. The battle sequences aren't that noteworthy as of yet, I hope they find ways to spice them up.
I do wonder though how you're able to import a part of a planet the size of Australia from another solar system to Jupiter. Is Drek from Ratchet & Clank 1 the mastermind behind the enemy alien plans?

It's kinda scary seeing the Yamato having the power to nuke off an entire continent. They're gonna have to stay on the correct path with this kind of power.
I bet it's going to be a grey area later on, as the crew may have differences on when it is a viable use. There are so many gorgeous views in this show, I can't possibly pick them all.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It all started with seeing a copy of Warren Ellis' Doom 2099 Complete Collection on a tray in the library. That led me to check out the comics section I've never bothered with before. And that was like discovering that the local libraries here are basically like a free physical Marvel Unlimited subscription. That was my December! RIP.

See you in February then?

KanColle - so just how similar to Ars Nova (which I liked) is it? i know its game based and about girls and battleship.
One difference is that in Kancolle the girls ARE the ship.

How exactly this show is gonna go is anyone's guess because the manga are all different in tone and how the girls work and the game is sorta plotless.

~wan

Kansoku

Also, as far as backlog goes, I started Digimon Xros Wars today so I'll be watching both it's first and second season this week, after that, I will watch all 9 Digimon movies, and then will watch the maximum number of 12 ep shows until February (when my classes start). Haven't decided which one's yet, but it's the ones that are in my MAL Plan to Watch which does not have more than one season (so for example Hidamari Sketch is out). After that, only watch random short stuff on the weekends until July.

Clov

Surprised that I didn't make the wall this time, though I was gone for a couple days due to New Years. Was too busy to post.

In any case, this season looks great! I'll definitely be watching:

Death Parade
Jojo's
Yuri Kuma
Koufuku Graffiti
Idolm@ster Cindarella Girls

I'm going to wait for impressions for:
Yoru no Yatterman
Junketsu no Maria

From previous seasons, I'm continuing:
Shirobako
Parasyte
Ronja
PriPara
Sailor Moon Crystal

It's... going to be busy. I might not be able to watch all of these at once, so I may have to place some of these on hold once I get busy.

Tuck

Yamato 2199 - 03

The theory of black hole travels? Sign me up. The battle sequences aren't that noteworthy as of yet, I hope they find ways to spice them up.
I do wonder though how you're able to import a part of a planet the size of Australia from another solar system to Jupiter. Is Drek from Ratchet & Clank 1 the mastermind behind the enemy alien plans?

It's kinda scary seeing the Yamato having the power to nuke off an entire continent. They're gonna have to stay on the correct path with this kind of power.
I bet it's going to be a grey area later on, as the crew may have differences on when it is a viable use. There are so many gorgeous views in this show, I can't possibly pick them all.

Where do you watch this show? I didn't think it was available on Funimation nor Crunchyroll.

Quasar

Don't have much of a anime backlog. I am currently trying to catch up on durararara though. Only 5 episodes in.

Shengar

KanColle - so just how similar to Ars Nova (which I liked) is it? i know its game based and about girls and battleships.

As SliceSabre said, the only similarity they had go as far as cute girls anthropomorphication. But as the girls in Arpeggio are the representation of the ships, in Kancolle the girls are the ships. Yes expected it to be dumb and plotless unlike Arpeggio that have actual plot that's going on.
If you haven't already, read Arpeggio since the anime have original ending.

javac

Oh yeah that reminds me, I also have Baccano! to watch this year I guess :p

Also, as far as backlog goes, I started Digimon Xros Wars today so I'll be watching both it's first and second season this week, after that, I will watch all 9 Digimon movies, and then will watch the maximum number of 12 ep shows until February (when my classes start). Haven't decided which one's yet, but it's the ones that are in my MAL Plan to Watch which does not have more than one season (so for example Hidamari Sketch is out). After that, only watch random short stuff on the weekends until July.
I might watch some Digimon this year too, watched it on and off as a kid, but it seems like good fun. No idea, but I just get chill vibes from it, I always think of the color blue when I think of Digimon and it makes me relaxed lol. Also Casshern Sins a 10? Nice :)

fertygo

I need moar from that moe eating SHAFT show, the faces are dawwwww
Already read that last month. I read a TON of stuff last month. :p

Got really weird when Duane Swierczynski took over too.

Yeah just forget it when Fraction left lol, Uncanny X-Force by Remender also legendary.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Okay Narag you win. I'll quit bugging you on ask.fm and you can put me down to watch Hunter x Hunter. This better not suck!

Andrew J.

No KanColle mention in the OP? I'm not particularly anticipating it or anything, but given the massive popularity of the source material and the tendency for military moe to be a big hit (Strike Witches, GuP) it probably deserves a blurb.

Okay Narag you win. I'll quit bugging you on ask.fm and you can put me down to watch Hunter x Hunter. This better not suck!

Hunter X Hunter is indeed awesome, and is one of my favourite shows. It has one of the most creative superpower systems I've seen in a shounen anime, plus some really interesting characters as well.

You're in for a treat. :)

Lulubop

I been out the anime game for a minute, trying to follow some stuff this season. It shouldn't be hard because the only thing that looks interesting is durarara!! I'm not even a big fan of the first season tho.

The last series I actively follow was Madoka. I'm more of a Manga reader, but even then I stopped reading stuff about the same time.

Mature

If you're not excited for Death Parade then there's a good chance you haven't seen Death Billiards. If you haven't seen Death Billiards then change that, then be excited for Death Parade with me.

John Blade

QEsAiD6.png

Before I start typing this, I gotta say, should never try to marathon the show series in one day watch. Also, I am typing this after I finish the show so, they might be some stuff which I never have time to sink in a bit.

Now, where can we start this. It's a fun wacky show to watch and remind me the wackiness of another show I already watch, FLCL which is a show I like quite a bit.

The story line is basic as you can get. Boy and girl talk about life in Japan and the girl is leaving with her parent to another city. An accident happened and now both of them are suck in this weird world of make believe which they need to find an emp to get them back to they real world. Cant complain about this too much as the wackiness of the show compensate this issue quite a bit with tons of fan joke of gaming, robot show, romance show, etc which (if you're a fan) will get a chuckle from. Still, the plot of the show will slowly start to open up as you listen to the dialogue of the character in each episode (this get more important as you get closer to the end of the series).

For character development, the main character of the series is the backbone of the show who's personalities play off one another in hilarious ways. How they interact to each other in a situation is fun to watch and is maybe the strong side of the show.

What I don't like is how they try to push comedy to serious plot moments and back again. I kinda understand why they're trying to do (and you understand when you realize why they're in the weird planet) but it break the pacing and tone of the show. You will notice around third quarter of the show when you start to get more background history of the character in the show and the mysterious male character and a female character who keep chasing him.

Another thing I feel it's a bit on the bad side is the ending. Don't really hate the ending but it kinda go against the idea of the story and why the main male character is trying to stop her friend to go back to the real world. Kinda spoiler a bit but the main male character dad basically tell him he can't stop what is going to happening to his friend grandpa and he shouldn't be childish about this. The whole show you keep hearing why the main male character is been childish of his action (even if it's to not let his friend to suffer in pain of her loss) . If he was to be treat as an adult, he should be actually let the real world go through with no change, knowing that the suffering of the loss from his friend will be hard. I guess, something with that sad ending won't work with this comedy show so, they go with the happy ending of basically change the world a bit so everyone is alive which kinda go against the idea a bit.

Still, it's a good show to watch with the wackiness gags from all range of idea will keep the audience happy. Yes, the pacing is fine till they start to bring in the serious side of the story and some people might not like fan service which you see quite a bit. Even with the minor issue, I would recommend people to watch the show.
867956e79cc9b22bc45a5c446a6c06471302442066_full.jpg

Note: Might ask the AnimeGaf of the next show to watch as I have quite a bit of anime collection I own which didn't have a chance to watch. The list is below and would ask which show to watch next after this. Those that say watch, have been watch and done.

Afro Samurai
Ah My Goddess TV series (Watch)
Ah My Goddess Movie
Oh My Goddess (Watch)
Azumanga Daioh (Watch)
Battle Angel
Blue Seed
Desert Punk
Divergence Eve
Divergence Eve: Misaki Chronicles
Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure (Watch)
Escaflowne (Watch)
Excel Saga
Final Fantasy Advent Children
Final Fantasy The Sprit Within (Watch)
FLCL (Watch)
Full Metal Panic!
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
Gantz
Gasaraki
Genesis Climber Mospeada
Gunbuster 2
Gundam 0080 (Watch)
Gundam MS 08TH Team (Watch)
Gundam Wing (Watch)
Zeta Gundam (Watch)
Gunslinger Girl
GunSmith Cats (Watch)
Iria
Jin Roh (Watch)
Kite
Kite Liberator
Last Exile
Lost Universe
Love Hina (Watch)
Love Hina Special (Watch)
Love Hina Again (Watch)
Macross (Watch)
Macross II (Watch)
Macross Plus
Magicial Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (Watch)
Mezzo DSA
Mezzo Forte (Watch)
My Neighbour Totoro (Watch)
Nadia The Secret of Blue Water (Watch)
Noir (Watch)
Otaku No Video
Paranoia Agent
Ponyo (Watch)
Rahxephon
Saikano
Saikano Another Love Story
Samurai Champloo
Somedays Dreamers
Southern Cross
Spice and Wolf (Watch)
Texhnolyze
The Iresponsible Captain Tylor
Witch Hunter Robin
Wolf Rain

Ringing Bell Dub

RingingbellCover.jpg

Look this is gonna be an adorable Disney esque film from Japan, rated G

Oh wow they didn't waste time killing off the mother

So he wants to be trained by the wolf that killed his mother to become strong like the wolf

Did our hero in a kids movie just kill a bunch of baby birds?

"In this world their is only death, the strong kill the weak to survive"

tm1a1PN.gif

Training montage to become a man/wolf

tumblr_ma24qvQhxt1ru8ai1o4_500.gif

ಠ_ಠ

What the fuck did I just watch

Shengar

the only similarity is girl based on WW2 ship

rest is completely different

In Arpeggio case, it was only in name. Their ships is actually completely fictional with all of that lazer beam and anti-gravity canon as arsenal.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
BARARA

BARARA

BARARAAAAAAAAAAA

(I will watch some of the cartoons this season, and some I will not watch, and some I shall enjoy, and some I shan't)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom