• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross Ange 18

I wanted to see Jill kick Ange's ass personally. I love seeing Ange get her ass kicked by the other girls because I still do not like her as a character. Though Jill was a bit extreme in her method her heart is still in the right place if you ask me and plus you just don't suddenly expect someone to join the side that has been killing your friends and family for years at the drop of a hat.

Go! Princess Precure 02

1MGkDNu.jpg
POdwULc.jpg

I'm still not 100% here on these CG finishers but clearly this is gonna be part of the series so fuck complaining about it. No surprise that Kaidou took so well to be a Precure right off the bat with all the awesome things she did during the battle. Fine episode and that's about it.

Koufuku Graffiti - 05

And now we've finally gotten to meet Shiina's family in another great episode. Guess I should have expected her mother would turn out to be a more excitable person than the daughter. As per usual Shaft made all the different areas of their estate look amazing from the inside of the house itself to the bamboo forest and garden.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Junketsu no Maria Episode 5:

Getting that burned out feeling so it it time to scale back somewhat, starting with Junketsu no Maria, nothing against it per sae, it is just I find a show I only find half way compelling easy to drop.

Sora No Method 1-13

More like, Sora No Melodrama. Show got to be a real slog after the halfway point where it became obvious where the story was going, but they had to keep building up the drama.

Maria the Virgin Witch 05

Summary: God and Maria support the person NTRing another person. And remember if you get NTR'd the only solution is to kill yourself.

Jarmel

Banned
Cinderella Girls-5
Well damn the climax to this episode was rough as fuck. Welcome to the real world indeed. I've been kinda expecting the show to go in this direction for awhile now, mainly that the main trio becomes popular and the rest of the girls starting to become more resentful. I do think the ending was a bit over the top, as I feel in real life this would have led to bullying and just overall anger, and instead it's played a bit too comical.

One thing that strikes me is that the show does make it clear that nu Producer-san is pretty shitty as while he might be working, he doesn't convey or communicate that at all, so the other girls feel like they're being sidelined. How else should a person feel when all their pleas are seemingly being ignored and thrown in the trashbin? I am a bit disappointed in the direction as I think this would have been perfect for a more subdued type of direction instead of the lighthearted one presently in the show.

I'm not necessarily sure though if the internal strife is somewhat resolved, especially if the main trio start to skyrocket.

Maria the Virgin Witch - 05

Ha! Didn't expect that, fooled me that's for sure. That sparkly cloud sounds like Mendoza from Garo to me, so I'm not sure if I trust it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yoru no Yatterman Episode 5:

Well, this one was certainly on the lighter side of the spectrum as for some reason a shonen sports anime parody decided to break out and Bolin from LoK made a guest appearance. This series is certainly the least post-modern of the Tatsunoko remakes that I have seen as in spite of being reinvented for a modern audience I can see that this show still has a lot of trappings from the old days.

Nordicus

Garo 10

I've liked Mendoza as a villain from the beginning and this episode gave him more great moments. The "We can use humans as sacrifice and guinea pigs, we are above them!" sentiment that got him exiled and punished was perhaps little tired, but seeing what cracked him so and ultimately turned him into such an outwardly cold person was great. His reaction to seeing the cursed mark on his child was certainly extreme but at the same time I can buy that he could completely flip out.

I wonder if he does feel genuine empathy towards Octavia as they both have been "betrayed", or if he's merely using her because he sees her as a faithful pawn. He's a rather charismatic man nonetheless and the voice actor definitely contributes to it.

Jarmel

Banned
Cross Ange-18
Oh boy the writing is starting to tank again. Nothing like some flanderization and rape allegories.

How the fuck do you find someone in the middle of the ocean in a span of a minute? Also looking forward to the mindrape next episode.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G: Episode 8 (engDub)
tumblr_ngk4kwlbew1s024xzo1_500.gif

Wow Nagisa improved so much in the years and so tall. Though still as annoying as ever outside of cardfighting. Thankfully it gave many AU moments that were fun.

Oh well at least Chrono and Kamui became the canon otp after declaring their love for each other in front of the glorious vanguard star, fending off Nagisa's oppressive obsession with love.

JCG

Maria the Virgin Witch - 5

Pretty nice. While a few developing plot threads continued to move in the background (obviously foreshadowing future events) and the general themes of the story were still reflected here, one way or another, this episode was mainly about Galfa the mercenary, with Maria and Joseph's relationship as a secondary focus. Which means there were less jokes and less magic spells. Not a bad idea if you ask me and I appreciated the variety.

I wasn't too surprised by the outcome of the duel, technically speaking, but apparently you can in fact use a sword like that in real life too. Interesting.

I realize not too many people are watching the show around these parts, but I'm still enjoying the series a lot and this time was no exception.

phaze

Durarara x2 05

You dun goofed man.

Fun and this time Shizuo-centric, episode. Clearly, yet another street gang and a wannabe loli assasin is what Ikebukoro needed.

Flowers of Evil 9-10

image9xu02.png
So much fanservice.

Well, Kasuga is still up there when it comes to the most unlikable protagonists ever but he managed to redeem himself a bit with his breakdown rant. At least he realizes what a fucked up person he is/(was?) On the other hand Nakamura's and especially Saeki's obsession with him continues to baffle me. Dunno where it will go from here, the confrontation in the rain felt more like a last ep material.

Jarmel

Banned
Yoru no Yatterman-5
ippjEY9LeS9M6.jpg

There's no greater feeling.
This was another pretty solid episode. The humor worked fairly well although it's clear that there were a ton of references that I missed. The show has done a decent job of making the episodic stories fun enough to watch and also have an emotional core to them. That said, I do think it's missing the extra 'oomph' for me. It's sort of hard to explain but while I'm enjoying myself, I feel like it's not excelling to its full potential.

The OST was pretty good this week and the climax song reminded me of Gurren Lagann's triumphant piece. I think it was the use of the trumpets. The mecha action wasn't as storyboarded as nicely as I would have liked but it was still pretty acceptable.

[Aria the Animation] - 08

Wow, he's really the president, he even has a work desk, and he's even able to write a intelligible letter even though they didn't get the real meaning of it. Mars cats are good.
i had a good laugh with the scene of Aria chasing the circus tools.
The gnomes are here too, we can have a rpg game now.

duckroll

Yoru no Yatterman - Episode 5

I wasn't really expecting a totally episodic throwback story of this sort in the series, but here it is. It wouldn't be out of place in any of those old Tatsunoko or Tezuka shows. I think some of the gags dragged on a bit, but overall it was fun. There was a lot of mecha variety at the end, and you can definitely see the Gurren Lagann style influence. Probably Akira Amemiya's work? The poses were so silly, but it was a smart way to make the action look interesting when it was being really economical.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yoru no Yatterman - Episode 5

I wasn't really expecting a totally episodic throwback story of this sort in the series, but here it is. It wouldn't be out of place in any of those old Tatsunoko or Tezuka shows. I think some of the gags dragged on a bit, but overall it was fun. There was a lot of mecha variety at the end, and you can definitely see the Gurren Lagann style influence. Probably Akira Amemiya's work? The poses were so silly, but it was a smart way to make the action look interesting when it was being really economical.

Also, Kobayashi playing a guy with the smallest bladder in the world!

I just finished watching the second episode of Hunter x Hunter (2011).
And while the first episode didn't do much for me, the second one clicked with me. Everything seems to be a test of some form, and the tests aren't always as straight forward as it seems.
There's often something subtle to observe to pass them which I enjoy. Another thing that stands out to me is the soundtrack. For example when they entered the house and the drums started playing I was nodding along.
My issue so far, while minor, is Gon and Paprika (that's what I'm calling Kurapika) being so young. It just feels kinda odd right now that they're this strong, but I guess I'll get over it further down the road.
Doki doki

World Trigger Episode 16

B9R2u1TCUAEbII6.png
B9R6pTJCAAA9bd-.png

It immediately made me think of m e g a n e.

Pretty good episode wrapping up the fights and then the downtime with everyone back as friends.

Favorite fight moment was double snipe Satori trying to get everyones attention, especially Izumi's. These two are funny. Also Izumi's face when Kitora was speaking about their level, lol.

Kikirin

In any case though, this was another good episode. I really like the Kino's Journey vibes this show has, with the show having one main recurring character through every episode and having a whole new story with each episode. Are there more anime with this kind of style?

Natsume Yuujinchou / Natsume's Book of Friends is relatively like this, IMO, with each episode generally focusing on a different youkai while keeping a handful of core characters.

Toyama Kankou Anime Project

Namerikawa is endorsed by Namerikawa City.

More tourism anime, this time promoting the Toyama prefecture. There's about 2 minutes of traditionally made anime by PA Works in this that tells the story about Misaki that comes back to her home town in Toyama and reminisce about various events that happened in her life there. And then there's some flash based animation that's more comedic in nature.

The comedy stuff is funny, but the Misaki story is too short. It's much better at getting you to want to visit Toyama though, so it does a better job at that than the Saitama anime.

Just based on the anime stuff, I'd give this 2.5/5 tears, because Toyama is a good place to cry:

Birdy the Mighty Decode S2
I marathoned this last night. It's an interesting second season greatly expanded Birdy's background. It's certainly not well animated, but it does tell an interesting sci-fi story. it interestingly ignores or minimizes a lot of characters from the first half just to focus on Birdy and background on the Altans in this world

Jex

I marathoned this last night. It's an interesting second season greatly expanded Birdy's background. It's certainly not well animated, but it does tell an interesting sci-fi story. it interestingly ignores or minimizes a lot of characters from the first half just to focus on Birdy and background on the Altans in this world

The hell am I reading?

Alternatively:

????

Koufuku Graffiti 4-5

hbFZpze.gif

Man this show rules. It was nice to learn more about Ryou's grandma and Shiina's family in these two episodes. Shiinas mom dancing in the episode preview is just too adorable haha. The maid is pretty cool too.

Kirin can eat. Holy crap. Where does all that food go.

And when will downstairs neighbor get some love? She wants some of Ryous cooking too.

Whoa, wait, what do you mean by this??

Ronja 19

Looks like this and the next couple of episodes will be the downtime episodes of less drama and more relaxation and fun. Well to be fair the majority of this show was this until the arc before this current one. Regardless we have the young 'siblings'/couple continuing to try and be on their own, a little trouble in paradise, and the reality that anybody who eats the same shit on their diet can tell you. Never eat the same shit over and over again or you'll come to hate it.

UNlimited Fafnir - 05

Seems that there is finally someone coming to oppose hiw own way against the hero/cast ...

Someone from the other side ...

I guess this turn of events can actually make this anime better than it is.

Tuck

I just finished watching the second episode of Hunter x Hunter (2011).
And while the first episode didn't do much for me, the second one clicked with me. Everything seems to be a test of some form, and the tests aren't always as straight forward as it seems.
There's often something subtle to observe to pass them which I enjoy. Another thing that stands out to me is the soundtrack. For example when they entered the house and the drums started playing I was nodding along.
My issue so far, while minor, is Gon and Paprika (that's what I'm calling Kurapika) being so young. It just feels kinda odd right now that they're this strong, but I guess I'll get over it further down the road.
Doki doki

Just wait till you meet to best character.

Pooya

Cross Ange 18 ohboy.

Rolling Girls 5

This was such a great 2 episode OVA series, I wish they made more of it and turned it into a full series. Still I was satisfied with that.

TheRancor

Oh dear.

Beefeater

Banned

Disgusting. Disgusting animation.

Assasination Classroom - 04

Assassination%20Classroom%20-%2004_01.jpg
Assassination%20Classroom%20-%2004_02.jpg

1 minute at mach 10 ? i wonder what happenned ?

Another good episode.

Bitch-sensei is finally here , ready to teach foreign stuff to students that need to learn ...

I'm myself very intrested in that 30 hit combo ....

Jarmel

Banned
I'm curious, would anybody be interested in participating in a Best Anime Soundtracks poll thread? Sort of like the GOAT anime poll we should have updated a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom