• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafe

Mobile Suit Gundam-san

I remember hearing about this short series airing last year. I didn't take a look at it at the time but gave it a look now that I've seen the original series. It's a good thing I didn't look at it earlier as it references and parodies the original series quite a bit. At the time I really wouldn't have gotten most of the jokes but now it's pretty amusing.

The first episode features Char like you've (probably?) never seen him before. That and Lalah trying to bring him back to reality.

tumblr_n8cc9iApi81so5kkno1_500.png

tumblr_n8cbwffilD1so5kkno7_500.png

Interestingly enough, the character Lalah in the original series is voiced by Keiko Han and many might know her as the voice of Luna from Sailor Moon as one of her many roles. Keiko Han has a daughter named Megumi Han who is also a voice actress/seiyuu. Well, for Lalah in this series of shorts, Megumi Han is now providing the voice for her. I think this is the first case I can think of that I'm familiar with where a parent voiced a character in a long running series and then their child went on to voice the character years later.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What's happening! There is one more for the season in seiken world break( and she's acting like the perv sensei from seitokai yakuindomo) and they got Chiaki Omigawa too.

But this anime is ass.
I think I'm going to skip this one. lol

I'm curious, would anybody be interested in participating in a Best Anime Soundtracks poll thread? Sort of like the GOAT anime poll we should have updated a long time ago.
I'd probably only vote for Aria, sadly.

faridmon

Holyshit, Didin't know that Origa passed away last month.

Her music was an inspiration and actually the reason why I am into Japanese Music.

R.I.P.

For anyone who don't know here, She was the singer for GitS OST and worked heavily with Yoko Kanno in many occasion.

I'm curious, would anybody be interested in participating in a Best Anime Soundtracks poll thread? Sort of like the GOAT anime poll we should have updated a long time ago.

TTGL's OST all the way.

Shin Mazinger Z - 17

I always love
situations where the heroes and villains end up having to work together against a common threat.

So in this episode the crew plus Baron Ashura goes back to the past to defeat that Kedora, and we see the full man and woman sides of Baron Ashura.

The only thing that confuses me about this is that they say that they're just in a memory, but the enemy forces can still see them. So basically it's like they've time travelled in a way that prevents them from changing history. Kinda confusing, but eh, I'll go with it.

phaze

Sure.

HoFL >>all

It gets better. And if anyone says anything bad about 3.0, they're just kidding!

Why would anyone do that. 3.0 is the stuff of legends. /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\.

Flowers of Evil 11

Man this show always looked good but this
dream sequence
was just breathtaking.

Listen.

I don't want to start accusing someone of anything.

But if Gal is the one responsible for making everyone their new clothes.

And after seeing Leo wearing her frilly skirt outfit, gym clothes, and her previously made Doronjo outfit.

As well as, being happy with pushing down little girls.

Then I get the feeling this fellow has more taste than just Ally.

Quasar

Gourmet Girls Graffitti 5 - Another excellent episode. Somen though. I have this trouble with some foods I normally eat hot, eating them cold. Like rice, soup, and noodles. So alien to me.

Rainy

Banned
Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii 1-2

I'm enjoying myself with this show so far. The kid king is getting on my nerves but I'll warm up to him eventually I guess.

Jarmel

Banned
Cowboy Bebop

DONE.

Yea I would run it differently than how you guys do AOTY to prevent the obvious spamming of just Cowboy Bebop or TTGL(which are obviously going to be #1 and #2).

1.I would make it up to 15 picks per person. Due to the raw number of high quality OSTs over the years, it would be too restrictive for just 10.

2.The assignment of points would depend on how many picks a person does. So if you use all 15 picks then your number one pick would get the full 15 points. However if you only have nine picks then your number one pick would only get 9 points. This would hopefully encourage people to use all 15 picks.

jman2050

Koufuku Graffiti 4-5

When this show isn't being absolutely adorable it's making me very hungry.

Kirin can eat though, holy crap.

Mature

Hyouka - 2
Oreki and Chitanda go to the library to find a book, but instead get sidetracked by a "mystery".

This episode, as with the first, flew by in an instant. I remember reading people criticize this show by calling it boring, but for me, so far, it's anything but. The pace feels electric in a way that's hard to summarize. Perhaps its the excellent boarding by the series director in these first two episodes, but I've been routinely impressed by how discontent this show is with lingering on a scene's particular visual form for too long. A few of the below screenshots highlight that. Ostensibly, the show has so little to show, but does so much with it. It remains remarkable in that area.

The sort of cliffhanger this episode left on makes me question where they plan to go with it. I'd be content with a slow character driven story, but "I'm curious" to see if they have anything planned for something more through-line.

Yea I would run it differently than how you guys do AOTY to prevent the obvious spamming of just Cowboy Bebop or TTGL(which are obviously going to be #1 and #2).

1.I would make it up to 15 picks per person. Due to the raw number of high quality OSTs over the years, it would be too restrictive for just 10.

2.The assignment of points would depend on how many picks a person does. So if you use all 15 picks then your number one pick would get the full 15 points. However if you only have nine picks then your number one pick would only get 9 points. This would hopefully encourage people to use all 15 picks.

wouldn't this also encourage people to just put their favorite at the top and then think of stuff they kind of liked and put it in the list just so their top pick gets the most points possible?

wouldn't this also encourage people to just put their favorite at the top and then think of stuff they kind of liked and put it in the list just so their top pick gets the most points possible?
Exactly.

All that method does is then cause a lot of garbage picks to get ranked even higher than they normally would be.

Jarmel

Banned

There's no way to guarantee even if it was a regular vote that it wasn't bloat anyway. This way at least the person is thinking about soundtracks they even sorta liked.

Well yeah there's no way to avoid it, it still seems a bit like punishing people who don't watch as much anime with solid soundtracks. Saying "your vote is not worth as much as others" seems like it won't end well it's all I'm saying.

Regardless, as long as Guilty Crown wins and I can have my laugh it'll be a good thread

Theonik

What we need is a biassed formula of sorts. I had some ideas I wanted to try next AOTY we could play with this time round.

Jarmel

Banned
Well yeah there's no way to avoid it, it still seems a bit like punishing people who don't watch as much anime with solid soundtracks. Saying "your vote is not worth as much as others" seems like it won't end well it's all I'm saying.

Regardless, as long as Guilty Crown wins and I can have my laugh it'll be a good thread

15 picks is insanely restrictive, to the point of me wondering whether there should be more. I imagine even most casual viewers could easily fill a Top 15 list.

Hyouka - 2

This episode, as with the first, flew by in an instant. I remember reading people criticize this show by calling it boring, but for me, so far, it's anything but. The pace feels electric in a way that's hard to summarize. Perhaps its the excellent boarding by the series director in these first two episodes, but I've been routinely impressed by how discontent this show is with lingering on a scene's particular visual form for too long. A few of the below screenshots highlight that. Ostensibly, the show has so little to show, but does so much with it. It remains remarkable in that area.

What exactly does boarding refer to?

And yeh, it's not uncommon that people call a show boring just because there isn't some major plot progression taking place, ignoring everything else there's to enjoy and take in. Another example would be From the new World where some people talk about a slow/boring start when I cannot agree with that whatsoever.

Nice writeups btw., can never have enough quality ones of these for Hyouka. If you're enjoying it this much already you're in for a treat, as the characterization is to me one of the strongest of all anime.

Watched episode 1 and 2 a long time ago:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=119747639&postcount=2551
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=120776962&postcount=8216

So...

Aria 03

More people claiming to be friends to get free rides.

At least he was nice enough to give her tickets to see the sunset from the air. And another character called Alice who works for yet another rival company joins the show. She seems to be some kind of child prodigy, but don't know how to smile before seeing Akari gondolier for a day.

15 picks is insanely restrictive, to the point of me wondering whether there should be more. I imagine even most casual viewers could easily fill a Top 15 list.

Top 15 shows? Yes. Top 15 soundtracks? I don't know that the regular/casual watcher pays much attention to the soundtrack while watching a show. They might enjoy it, but unless it really stands out, stuff like Bebop and Gurren Lagann for example, it won't be remembered by the time they watch the next show.

Similar in games though. Hotline Miami got as much love as it did for its soundtrack because it was this booty boppin' music that really made an impression. I don't know if I'd be able to fill top 15 from the top of my head without having to relisten to plenty of stuff.

[Aria the Animation] - 09

Every time Aqua is compared with Manhome, and how you can't do things anymore in Manhome, I disconnect with the show a little and my mind go astray to think how fucked up Manhome must be, I wonder why people still live there, if you can't even cultivate food... all food on Manhome is shipped from Aqua?
Outside this I'm enjoying myself with the show like Grandma suggested.

Jarmel

Banned
Top 15 shows? Yes. Top 15 soundtracks? I don't know that the regular/casual watcher pays much attention to the soundtrack while watching a show. They might enjoy it, but unless it really stands out, stuff like Bebop and Gurren Lagann for example, it won't be remembered by the time they watch the next show.

Similar in games though. Hotline Miami got as much love as it did for its soundtrack because it was this booty boppin' music that really made an impression. I don't know if I'd be able to fill top 15 from the top of my head without having to relisten to plenty of stuff.

Considering the turnout for this years AOTY, I would say that a large number of potential voters have seen over 15 shows. We're talking three plus decades. Now part of the reason for the vote system would be making people think about what shows they watched and whether the soundtrack was any good. It's fairly easy to pull up most OSTs now on the internet.

Yes this might require people to relisten to some old stuff, and that's a good thing.

PK Gaming

I unfortunately don't remember much of Part 1 but it's only 22 episodes and will give you a good general feel of Lupin.
I made a list of noteworthy episodes of Part 2 but your mileage may vary on whether you agree on them or not.
Cagliostro is definitely well worth a watch.
Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for. A very good friend of mine told me to watch Cagliostro as well, so i'm definitely going to watch that first.

What exactly does boarding refer to?

It's shorthand for "storyboarding" or the process of converting the scenario into visual pieces to show the animators/other staff what happens for that scene and how it should look. This is the second part in a playlist detailing the animation process. It should help expand on that as well as provide additional information regarding the process (though not all of it).

Yasuhiro Takemoto storyboarded the first two episodes.

Storyboarding.

It's shorthand for "storyboarding" or the process of converting the scenario into visual pieces to show the animators/other staff what happens for that scene and how it should look. This is the second part in a playlist detailing the animation process. It should help expand on that as well as provide additional information regarding the process (though not all of it).

Damn it, just realized the obvious myself ;/

Thanks for the replies anyways.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Shirobako 1-2

So is this a cautionary show meant to dissuade people from working in animation? :lol

But really, definitely enjoying this so far. Although I have no idea how I'm going to keep up with the absolute shitload of characters in the show. I think the show kinda recognizes this, though, and that's why the name/job description of the character continues to pop up even after the first episode.

So yeah, good stuff, enjoying it, gonna keep going.

Mature

I had meant to watch these videos and forgot all about them. Thanks.

Yoru no Yatterman 05

Well, this was a far more 70s goofy episode then the last one. Pretty much no despair. The enemy general is great, being voiced by Viral makes him even better
Why was Takeshi pissing so much, is it some reference I don't get?

Junketsu no Maria 05

Okay episode. Don't have a lot to say.

Flowers of Evil 11

Man this show always looked good but this
dream sequence
was just breathtaking.

This was one of my single favorite moments of the entire series (and really, it's probably one of my favorite moments in any anime ever). It's just a stunning scene on every level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom