• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I need recommendations for shounen series that have tournament arcs. I'm doing research!

That said I've watched/read a ton of them so I'm hoping you guys may know 1 or 2 series I haven't come across yet.

A list of series off the top of my head I've been through:

Dragonball
Flame of Recca
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hajime No Ippo
Fairy Tail
One Piece
Naruto
Hunter X Hunter
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

Thanks in advance.

You might get better results in the manga thread, I can't think of any more shonen ones unless you wanna count ones from series like G Gundam.

I guess there's Hitman Reborn? I think that had a tourney arc or a tournament like set up I never read it tho

You can probably figure out the answer, but their relationship gets explored a lot more in the next two seasons.

Yeah, it was just a tongue in check comment but it's nice to know it'll be explored more. :p

It's Aria, so their relationship is they're in lesbians with each other, as is the relationship of every character of the series to every other character.

I should have put Al-kun and Aika-chan.

[Aria the Natural] - 01

2YZcBaJ.jpg

Did you say carnival? =D

Not my country kind, ok. The one similar to original Venezia, with masks and robes.
The
Cait Sith
is a
fucking casanova
! Or the
Casanova
I don't know why
I didn't get that the attendants of Casanova were the cats
, it was pretty obvious.
That LSD trip and these dead eyes.

sonicmj1

Hi everyone,

I need recommendations for shounen series that have tournament arcs. I'm doing research!

That said I've watched/read a ton of them so I'm hoping you guys may know 1 or 2 series I haven't come across yet.

Dragonball
Flame of Recca
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hajime No Ippo
Fairy Tail
One Piece
Naruto
Hunter X Hunter

Thanks in advance.

G Gundam
Gundam Build Fighters

I don't know a lot about shounen shows.

jbug617

Banned
Hi everyone,

Dragonball
Flame of Recca
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hajime No Ippo
Fairy Tail
One Piece
Naruto
Hunter X Hunter

Thanks in advance.

sports count?

Hi everyone,

Dragonball
Flame of Recca
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hajime No Ippo
Fairy Tail
One Piece
Naruto
Hunter X Hunter

Thanks in advance.
Do yourself a favor and watch Kuroko no Basketball.

A battle shounen in a basketball skin with yes, tournaments.

Mushi-Shi - 3

...Well. If you'll excuse me I'm going to sleep with headphones every night from now on. Don't want any of those things crawling into my ears. :p

I loved the sound direction in this episode. It was cool how they muffled it when they were in that cave after the Mushi went into Ginko's ears. Just a small little detail that added quite a bit to the big picture.

Good episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's a rather over the top wordpress which suggests that Akari's optimistic nature isn't there by default but rather she appreciates Aqua more through having lived through Manhome's conditions.

There's yet again a fan-made doujin/comic strip called Dear Akari-sama which takes that idea a bit further but I don't really want to ruin if you decide to read it. It's pretty amateurish especially in it's themes but it's interesting all the same.

The anime tends to give off a vibe that Akari is just a natural, almost airhead happy-go-lucky person and it sorts of misses the edge of the original where occasionally the facade slips and her viewpoint seems to be more considered than you'd suspect.

I mean, given Anne of Green Gables' popularity in Japan, I have to imagine that she's an Anne/Pollyanna archetype.

The show doesn't really have enough textual evidence to support a dystopian Earth, because as much as the show celebrates the past, it also celebrates the technology that makes the preservation even possible.

I mean, given Anne of Green Gables' popularity in Japan, I have to imagine that she's an Anne/Pollyanna archetype.

The show doesn't really have enough textual evidence to support a dystopian Earth, because as much as the show celebrates the past, it also celebrates the technology that makes the preservation even possible.
If only YKK world existed in the Aria canon.

The Rolling Girls 05

This episode was way better than the previous two eps. The whole watercolor backgrounds are still present but they are done in a way that you can still recognize what the background actually is instead of being a blotchy mess. The effects done on Dandy's shield and the races were also really done well.

The guy who speaks in motorcycle sounds has displaced Crocodile as my favorite character in the show.

Cross Ange 18

Everywhere Ange looks, there's haters hating on her. I figured Jill would be a hardliner but not to the point of sacrificing innocent people to achieve her goals. I can see why Ange never liked her (I'm sure breaking her robot arm while "searching" Ange didn't help things)

Yatterman Night 05

This episode was more in line to its Saturday Morning cartoon roots than previous episodes. You got a ridiculous premise with ridiculous characters performing ridiculous acts. I can't not love it for it.

Milky Holmes 5-6

The more I watch this, the more I think that it's not so much that they're dumb. They're just way too innocent (except Herc). I mean Sher ends up thinking that princesses are into S and M now. Poor poor soul.

Fushigiboshi no Futagohime 4

The amount of plastic that is being sold still pales to some shows, but it's trying it's damndest with this Decormaker

Astarte

Yikes, Death Parade, Rolling Girls, and Milky Holmes are pretty much flops at the preorder market right now :/
I hope Yatterman doesn't share the same fate but...

fertygo

Yikes, Death Parade, Rolling Girls, and Milky Holmes are pretty much flops at the preorder market right now :/
I hope Yatterman doesn't share the same fate but...

Not like they expecting much.. except for Rolling Girls and Milky holmes maybe.

Death Parade also could get a chance S2 if NTV give greenlight for it despite not selling.

phaze

Hi everyone,

Dragonball
Flame of Recca
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hajime No Ippo
Fairy Tail
One Piece
Naruto
Hunter X Hunter

Thanks in advance.

Saint Seiya has a tournament at the very beginning. No sure if I would call it an arc as it ends pretty quickly but it's there.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 79:

Right, well, we have clearly reached the point where the creative team was clearly hurting for ideas because they decided to give an episode to Artemis as they try to craft a comedy parable about him being the butt of many jokes and getting careless. I'll be honest, there is very little to say about this episode other then this may be filler in the truest sense of the word. This episode just seems like exists to fill up an episode number and certainly not a terrible episode but it is pretty boring and useless. Recommendation to avoid.

Randy42

Saint Seiya has a tournament at the very beginning. No sure if I would call it an arc as it ends pretty quickly but it's there.
Geez don't even kid, unless he can speak Japanese it would be cruel to get him into the original SS since it's still not fully available in english in a not-shitty format.

Lost Canvas is baller tho, then you finish the anime and go to the manga and realize the second half of the series they didn't animate is like balls to the wall top tier shounen anything and get really depressed that we got Omega instead.

Mr.Jeff

[Aria the Animation] - 13 END
Wait, what's the relationship between Al and Aika, Gnomes hardly had a presence in the first season, they just appeared now to commemorate the new year.
Ready for one more year or two( since the next season has 26 episodes) with the cast.
Annoyingly, the equivalent chapter where Al is introduced was removed but Syrinx is right; they do go into a bit more detail about their relationship so it's not really a problem.

Also, you are flying through this series! Need to step up on PBC

You're correct; the few mentions Akari does mention Man-home, she comments about how more controlled it is rather than Aqua's freestyle life.

We just assume they are, since they share the same music!
But that doesn't work! Even the towns in YKK are pretty peaceful and laidback which doesn't tie in with why Akari would leave!

cajunator

Banned
Oh good I'm not the only one still enjoying this show.

Nah. Lots are still watching it. Its fun!

Currently balls deep into Parasyte and Tokyo Ghoul root A, but I just wanted to shout out to Ben-To because it was such a refreshing surprise to me. The characters, the sexual tension and innuendo, the hilarity of fighting martial arts style for your food. Could be a Ranma episode, but it ain't, it's fucking Ben-To and for those brief 12 episodes I was sold as a must own. I'd give a huge full blown review but this isn't the thread and I'm too drunk :) peace.

Ben-to is legit awesome like those high school brawler animes except the stakes is bargain priced food. Its hilarious and somehow exciting.

Heeeeeey guys. Long time no see (except for those of you I talk to on Twitter)! Still kinda out of anime, but I'm slowly getting back in. Finished up Heartcatch Precure today (really good, especially those last 5 or so episodes) and watching Rolling Girls and really enjoying that too. Kinda wanna start Shirobako as well, but eeeehhhh not sure I want to jump into a two-cour so soon after kinda coming back to anime. Still, it looks good. Also getting excited for S2 of Kiniro Mosaic. So I guess I am kinda getting back into it, heh.

Welcome back! Shirobako might seem a bit daunting but its a very easy watch and quite informative in ways.

fertygo

Koufuku Graffiti - 05

Still so good, shame people ignore it like Yama no Susume ;__;

Best OP (ok maybe 2nd best)
Best ED
and even best after credit!

I think I found my AOTS to slid RG and Death Parade.

Now if you talking about pre-order misery this one that got it bad. nooooooooo

Randy42

And yet Kancolle on pace to sell 30k+

ayy lmao

Of course it is, it prob comes with some rare card or some bs for the game. Look forward to the news stories of how half the copies that get bought are up for resale by the buyers within a week (Which has happened before with other similar things)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 80:

Well, this episode was a step up from other recent ventures we have seen seeing as Ami gets the focus this time. I'll be honest, this is a premise that has been explored before, Ami's feelings of insecurity and explored better but at least this episode has a fresh twist on things. Basically the dark power makes everybody think that Ami is a cheater which eventually turns into a concentrated effort to get her to turn into Evil Mercury. The episode plays out well enough yet I can't help feeling an opportunity was missed, not exactly sure how but I think they could have done more with this idea. Anyways recommendation to watch.

DiGiKerot

Sure it is.

Hey, it's my favourite joke in all of Milky Holmes - the only way anyone on the cast can tell the difference between Sherlock and a girl who looks almost exactly like her is the fact that Sherlock is too dumb to realise that the value of Pi isn't exactly three. It cracks me up every single damn time.

Vito

Banned
Dance with Devils TV anime directed by Ai Yoshimura at Brains Base, series composition Tomoko Konparu, character design by Yuka Takashina.

Music is by Elements Garden, music production is handled by DIVEⅡentertainment and music producer is Junpei Fujita.

Announced cast: Sōma Saitō, Wataru Hatano, Takashi Kondo, Subaru Kimura and Daisuke Hirakawa.

tumblr_nji9w8HqyH1sqqtwzo1_540.jpg

Dunno if old. http://moca-news.net/article/20150209/2015020922000a_/01/

duckroll

Damn. Animator Expo is taking a break. The CG Eva short was the last one for the first season. The second season is coming back on March 9th. This is all Jarmel's fault. :(

Baalzebup

Hi everyone,

Dragonball
Flame of Recca
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hajime No Ippo
Fairy Tail
One Piece
Naruto
Hunter X Hunter

Thanks in advance.

Read Mahou Sensei Negima! The manga has two separate tournament arcs and the finale of the second one is THE best shounen type fight ever conceived.

Dance with Devils TV anime directed by Ai Yoshimura at Brains Base, series composition Tomoko Konparu, character design by Yuka Takashina.

Music is by Elements Garden, music production is handled by DIVEⅡentertainment and music producer is Junpei Fujita.

Announced cast: Sōma Saitō, Wataru Hatano, Takashi Kondo, Subaru Kimura and Daisuke Hirakawa.

tumblr_nji9w8HqyH1sqqtwzo1_540.jpg

Dunno if old. http://moca-news.net/article/20150209/2015020922000a_/01/

Red hair is easily best one, hopefully hes like Ayato in DiaLover. But why does he have to be her older brother, lol.

Second best is Tsuki easily.

Defuser

Junketsu No Maria ep 5
Slept with a lover of a Knight, beat the said Knight in a duel. Stay classy Galfa.

One thing good of this show is how the battles and equipment are portrayed which other shows failed to do. I never did knew much on why and how are this equipment are designed to be this way but this show shed a light on it.

The value of Pi is exactly 3.

Hey, it's my favourite joke in all of Milky Holmes - the only way anyone on the cast can tell the difference between Sherlock and a girl who looks almost exactly like her is the fact that Sherlock is too dumb to realise that the value of Pi isn't exactly three. It cracks me up every single damn time.

It was in fact, 2 of the best parts of that particular episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom