• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Cowboy Bebop

DONE.

Not so fast there slick

Gourmet Girls Graffitti 5 - Another excellent episode. Somen though. I have this trouble with some foods I normally eat hot, eating them cold. Like rice, soup, and noodles. So alien to me.

I eat a lot of food cold. In fact when I get food I sometimes take 6-10 hours to eat it and by then it is ice cold.

Yea I would run it differently than how you guys do AOTY to prevent the obvious spamming of just Cowboy Bebop or TTGL(which are obviously going to be #1 and #2).

1.I would make it up to 15 picks per person. Due to the raw number of high quality OSTs over the years, it would be too restrictive for just 10.

2.The assignment of points would depend on how many picks a person does. So if you use all 15 picks then your number one pick would get the full 15 points. However if you only have nine picks then your number one pick would only get 9 points. This would hopefully encourage people to use all 15 picks.

that sounds fair to me.

Exactly.

All that method does is then cause a lot of garbage picks to get ranked even higher than they normally would be.

Not really. If the OST is garbage, no one else will pick it. Cream will still rise to the top.

One last CR announcement.

It also has a Maaya Uchida theme song, but that's probably only relevant to me.

Whaaaaaat the fuck?

Shirobako 1-2

So is this a cautionary show meant to dissuade people from working in animation? :lol

But really, definitely enjoying this so far. Although I have no idea how I'm going to keep up with the absolute shitload of characters in the show. I think the show kinda recognizes this, though, and that's why the name/job description of the character continues to pop up even after the first episode.

So yeah, good stuff, enjoying it, gonna keep going.

Its well worth your while. Lots of great times ahead if you keep watching.

I'm considering giving Hyōka a watch. Yay or nay?

I would say yay but Im not as enthusiastic about the show. It has some rather dull moments where the mysteries are anything but, and some odd characterizations that really rub me the wrong way, but it does look gorgeous and the production is really unparalleled.

Non Non Biyori - 07

Lots of Renge. So by default best episode yet.

Good lord Renge is one of the cutest characters ever. Youll see.

Hi everyone,

I need recommendations for shounen series that have tournament arcs. I'm doing research!

That said I've watched/read a ton of them so I'm hoping you guys may know 1 or 2 series I haven't come across yet.

A list of series off the top of my head I've been through:

Dragonball
Flame of Recca
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hajime No Ippo
Fairy Tail
One Piece
Naruto
Hunter X Hunter
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

Thanks in advance.

Chihayafuru is totally not the kind of show you might expect but it definitely has tournament arcs!

Trigger's Ninja Slayer new picture
No sure is this good, compare to novel art.
J8ucEvB.jpg

Syrinx

Urusei Yatsura 1

Bout time I started this. Was looking for a long series to watch when I don't feel like anything else, so two birds with one stone.

Nothing in particular to say. Rumiko Takahashi wackiness in full effect.

Rainy

Banned
Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii 4-8

There's nothing too special about this anime, it's just a pleasant and enjoyable watch for me. And I really like Nike as the heroine. Livius is still annoying, but he's become more bearable...kinda.

Trigger's Ninja Slayer new picture
hm...interesting. the character designs look good.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Search your feelings you know that statement to be false
Penguin > Polar Bear > Grizzly > Red Panda > Baboon > Panda

The only reason why Panda is needed is that all the other characters work off of him but the character himself has no redeemable features. He isn't even the cutest panda in the show (
that's red panda
)

mods pls ban
Lazy MCs can be done well like Umaru-chan or the cast of Yurumates. Panda just got annoying with the lazy schtick.

/XX/

Who would have thought that what many nowadays Japanese artist themselves wanted (as Cathy Munroe Hotes mentioned) was just a simple thread on /a/ away of actually happening? At this point, the Nihon Art Animation Senshū uncovering project I mentioned before is as follows:

Anonymoose: Nihon Art Animation Eiga Senshuu
http://anonymemoose.blogspot.ca/2015/01/nihon-art-animation-eiga-senshuu.html

They have passed a new important milestone; as of today, every digital disc from the collection have been secured (as in effectively loaned for this) and in dump process, with 10 of them completely done or very near it.

It is evident there is a grey area on how many of the animated shorts featured on the collection should be on public domain by now, and we can't deny the good and costly efforts done by the publisher in order to compose it, but I still think what was achieved here was worth of praise... and commendable regarding important cultural transmission that should be more easily accessible.

Kvik

This transfer was pretty great though. You can actually make out the transparent cels used in the animation process of certain scenes. I actually prefer it this way rather than complete removal during post-processing.

Also, I'm not keen on the last two episodes of Nadia :-\

/XX/

This transfer was pretty great though. You can actually make out the transparent cels used in the animation process of certain scenes. I actually prefer it this way rather than complete removal during post-processing.
Agreed! Of course the complains about cel-casted shadows and obvious paint smudges came after all, but there is a certain hand-made charm about it... there are even on this series some cuts that were photographed out-of-frame showing painted parts of the cels beyond the line-art, kind of cute imperfections overall as it shows more evidently what techniques were used. Can't deny the production's cheapness! :p

Theonik

Last 2 episodes are great. You loco. Now you have a case on rest of the third cour.

Hi everyone,

I need recommendations for shounen series that have tournament arcs. I'm doing research!

That said I've watched/read a ton of them so I'm hoping you guys may know 1 or 2 series I haven't come across yet.

A list of series off the top of my head I've been through:

Dragonball
Flame of Recca
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hajime No Ippo
Fairy Tail
One Piece
Naruto
Hunter X Hunter
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

Thanks in advance.

Law of Ueki.

Mr.Jeff

Lazy MCs can be done well like Umaru-chan or the cast of Yurumates. Panda just got annoying with the lazy schtick.
I can agree with this. From the 3/4 episodes I've seen, Panda is the one that I'll go weary of the fastest. But there's a whole lot left of the show still to go so I'll see. Polar Bear is definitely my favourite.

Crocodile

It's hard for me to make heads or tales of Ninja Slayer. I'm going to need to see some good animation and choreography before I get on board. Badass ninjas being badasses is a hard premise to fuck up though.

It's hard for me to make heads or tales of Ninja Slayer. I'm going to need to see some good animation and choreography before I get on board. Badass ninjas being badasses is a hard premise to fuck up though.

I think it's a pretty easy premise to make generic and uninspired television out of.

Thoraxes

I'm even more pumped to watch more now!

CDiggity

That girl on the left seems to have a boob window for her buttocks.

Designs are looking a little bit less Ryuko/Satsuki like but there's still some sameface goin on between the schoolgirl and the girl behind her

Nah, that's just the classic "leotard with chaps" look that some characters use these days.

wonzo

Banned
Ronja 17-19

ronja19.jpg

I like the focus on these two and these two alone as they've run off. Helps make their occasional angst over how their parents taking it all the more poignant.

it's also good to see the legend of kouji kabuto live on!

cajunator

Banned
They got in their first shipment Friday. I think they've been getting more too. My LE should be arriving today.

I checked this morning they did ship me a bunch of stuff it arrives tomorrow!
I guess maybe they might ship to closer places first no matter when it was ordered.

Jarmel

Banned
Shirobako is a complete success.

Vol.1 cleared 10k and only 300 behind YYY. It'll probably surpass YYY. It sold 1683 volumes last week so it has insane legs.

Vol.2 is past 9k and still having stock issues so it'll end up past 10k.

This is PA Works 2nd best selling work. Angel Beats is #1.

Saudades

Dunno, I watched Ninja Scroll recently and didn't like how that turned out.

Serious

Absolute Duo-6
Now ponder me this riddle, is it better to see bad animation or no animation at all?

Funi releases always have screwed up contrast. Really noticeable in darker shows (Psycho Pass and WIXOSS got hit hard), but the colors always look off on all shows. Especially apparent with faces looking yellow and sickly, and light backgrounds losing large amounts of detail. There was a scene early on in Ping Pong with Kong and his coach listening to the sounds of a game, and the screen only showing the wind...but with Funi's release, the linework on the wind was lost, causing the scene to be only a white screen for 10-15 seconds.

It's actually pretty easy to fix with MPC. If not using MadVR, View > Renderer Settings > Output Range > change to 16-235. Dims the show slightly and should be put back to 0-255 for non-Funi releases, but fixes all the color issues. If using MadVR, I believe it's something like Ctrl+Alt+Shit+I. If a paying, legitimate user? Short end of the stick as usual.

Jarmel

Banned
Funi releases always have screwed up contrast. Really noticeable in darker shows (Psycho Pass and WIXOSS got hit hard), but the colors always look off on all shows. Especially apparent with faces looking yellow and sickly, and light backgrounds losing large amounts of detail. There was a scene early on in Ping Pong with Kong and his coach listening to the sounds of a game, and the screen only showing the wind...but with Funi's release, the linework on the wind was lost, causing the scene to be only a white screen for 10-15 seconds.

It's actually pretty easy to fix with MPC. If not using MadVR, View > Renderer Settings > Output Range > change to 16-235. Dims the show slightly and should be put back to 0-255 for non-Funi releases, but fixes all the color issues. If using MadVR, I believe it's something like Ctrl+Alt+Shit+I. If a paying, legitimate user? Short end of the stick as usual.

Already adjusted the gamma settings when I took those screencaps.

Vol.1 cleared 10k and only 300 behind YYY. It'll probably surpass YYY. It sold 1683 volumes last week so it has insane legs.

Vol.2 is past 9k and still having stock issues so it'll end up past 10k.

That is great to hear.

cajunator

Banned
This community has ruined GAF and those two words put together for me lol

I was thinking the same thing. Immediately thought that when I saw that thread.

Milky Holmes 5-6

The more I watch this, the more I think that it's not so much that they're dumb. They're just way too innocent (except Herc). I mean Sher ends up thinking that princesses are into S and M now. Poor poor soul.

Fushigiboshi no Futagohime 4

The amount of plastic that is being sold still pales to some shows, but it's trying it's damndest with this Decormaker

I dont recall much merchandising with this show, but then I wasnt paying much attention to that either. It doesnt seem overly marketable like Precure to me.

Yikes, Death Parade, Rolling Girls, and Milky Holmes are pretty much flops at the preorder market right now :/
I hope Yatterman doesn't share the same fate but...

That sucks :(
I wonder what the otaku ARE buying, aside from Kancolle of course.

Dance with Devils TV anime directed by Ai Yoshimura at Brains Base, series composition Tomoko Konparu, character design by Yuka Takashina.

Music is by Elements Garden, music production is handled by DIVEⅡentertainment and music producer is Junpei Fujita.

Announced cast: Sōma Saitō, Wataru Hatano, Takashi Kondo, Subaru Kimura and Daisuke Hirakawa.

tumblr_nji9w8HqyH1sqqtwzo1_540.jpg

Dunno if old. http://moca-news.net/article/20150209/2015020922000a_/01/

Is this another reverse harem show?

Already adjusted the gamma settings when I took those screencaps.

Adjusting gamma settings won't solve the issue with Funi's videos. That problem is that they are flagged with the wrong RGB range. You need a video player like mpv (or apparently mpc) where you can change the RGB range manually.

Jarmel

Banned
Adjusting gamma settings won't solve the issue with Funi's videos. That problem is that they are flagged with the wrong RGB range. You need a video player like mpv (or apparently mpc) where you can change the RGB range manually.

Well I hadn't changed just the gamma levels, I had gone into the color management settings and tweaked those prior. It's possible I used the initial settings to take the screenshots. I'll verify that in a few minutes. The problem isn't Funimation but the poor lighting throughout the episode.

/XX/

If we are comparing both works on this sales aspect, it should be noted that Angel Beats! had a big marketing push at the time, very big... talking about 'full-page ads at The Yomiuri Shimbun' big!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom