• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Geez don't even kid, unless he can speak Japanese it would be cruel to get him into the original SS since it's still not fully available in english in a not-shitty format.

It's only the first seven episodes, going by wiki, he can drop it after that. :)

Lost Canvas is baller tho, then you finish the anime and go to the manga and realize the second half of the series they didn't animate is like balls to the wall top tier shounen anything and get really depressed that we got Omega instead.

One day ...

One day we will get to witness the glory of Regulus in an animated form.

Herobank 44

Two back to back herobutt episodes was a good thing. Really laugh at Kaito being back to normal.

The twist was pretty predictable, just something about it and the way they hid their faces made it pretty obvious. Though I thought it was touching. Im glad waterworks were avoided though.

Gotta love Zavvi and their codes, I saved a good chunk on these. I guess the downside is that some of the disc holder pins break in the mail, it isn't the first time it has happened.
Was pleasantly surprised by the klk box, 9 episodes, art book and fancy cover for 27£.
mk07XW6.jpg

/XX/

idolmaster 17

Based trigger.
Officially their first work as a newly formed studio! Well, aside from cooperation tasks like this one their first own animated production was the PV for the 420 Renpai Girl LN (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHZQuTCw1p0).

Most amusing thing (around that time) is how it seemed like Mr. Yoshinari didn't get the memo soon enough to bail out earlier of GAiNAX; because of his brief contribution to The Mystic Archives of Dantalian and the following disappearance. Later, his supposedly non-credited cuts on THE IDOLM@STER while being employed by Production I.G for such a short time was the most puzzling part... kind of scary situation it was for the fans all in all! Then shortly after re-uniting with the GEEKS at TRIGGER Inc., was a sure relief in comparison.

But don't worry too much about GAiNAX future (or even present), guys... after we have recently known that Takami Akai's famous game series Princess Maker is returning with an all-new instalment in March (http://yonago-gainax.co.jp/game/megami/index.html) now I'm sure from where they'll obtain sufficient funds to survive until the Uru in Blue release! :-D

Annoyingly, the equivalent chapter where Al is introduced was removed but Syrinx is right; they do go into a bit more detail about their relationship so it's not really a problem.

Also, you are flying through this series! Need to step up on PBC

No need to hurry with PBC, you know I would like Doremi impressions more. :p

I just rushed through the weekend but now is the time I slow down because classes are starting again.

You're correct; the few mentions Akari does mention Man-home, she comments about how more controlled it is rather than Aqua's freestyle life.

After reading firehawk12 post and this I saw how I was seeing the things Akari said as things impossible to do instead of the possibility of things being prohibited, since she never said it was one or the other.

Officially their first work as a newly formed studio! Well, aside from cooperation tasks like this one their first own animated production was the PV for the 420 Renpai Girl LN (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHZQuTCw1p0).

Most amusing thing (around that time) is how it seemed like Mr. Yoshinari didn't get the memo soon enough to bail out earlier of GAiNAX; because of his brief contribution to The Mystic Archives of Dantalian and the following disappearance. Later, his supposedly non-credited cuts on THE IDOLM@STER while being employed by Production I.G for such a short time was the most puzzling part... kind of scary situation it was for the fans all in all! Then shortly after re-uniting with the GEEKS at TRIGGER Inc., was a sure relief in comparison.

But don't worry too much about GAiNAX future (or even present), guys... after we have recently known that Takami Akai's famous game series Princess Maker is returning with an all-new instalment in March (http://yonago-gainax.co.jp/game/megami/index.html) now I'm sure from where they'll obtain sufficient funds to survive until the Uru in Blue release! :-D

A new princess maker ??? so Bought

Jex

It's that classic business model: fund new versions of old anime with new versions of old videogames.

Gotta love Zavvi and their codes, I saved a good chunk on these. I guess the downside is that some of the disc holder pins break in the mail, it isn't the first time it has happened.
Was pleasantly surprised by the klk box, 9 episodes, art book and fancy cover for 27£.

Cool. Bought lots of my stuff from Zavvi as well.

/XX/

It's that classic business model: fund new versions of old anime with new versions of old videogames.
Princess Maker; keeping GAiNAX alive since 1991:

[inside] GAINAX - (From Newtype USA said:
"We never had very good contracts," he admits. "In fact, we didn't have a very good contract for Evangelion, either, but it was just so popular. So basically we made money on the products we put out ourselves. They said on the news how Evangelion had passed the 30 billion yen mark, so even if the contract only gave us 1% of that, it's still be 300 million yen!"

Until then, the games division kept GAINAX running. Yamaga recalls that Takami Akai, who'd been with the group since their college days, suddenly bought a computer and announced, "Let's do games! If we do games, we can make money."

"According to him, at that time with Japanese computer games, the art was done by the programmers, so it totally sucked," Yamaga explains. Since Akai was a painter, he'd be able to create decent images, even with the limit of 16 displayable colors at the time. "He was like, 'If we do this, there's no way we can go wrong!"

Akai's concept was literally on the money. "Princess Maker (1991) was a big hit, and that paid our salaries for quite a while," Yamaga says on the princess raising simulation. "Unlike the anime and films, we make the games all in-house and sell some of them ourselves, so it's not just that we have the rights; we get to keep the take in those cases, so hit or no hit, the amount of money coming in is totally different."
http://www.evamonkey.com/inside_gainax.htm

Still better than being stuck at 33% for 2 years
When it seems to be so close it hurts more! :)

Aria: The Animation - Episode 1 [Watchbet]

Seeing as Mr.Jeff has already started watching Doremi, I figured I'd start on my side of the watchbet too.

So far I can say this is a very chilled and beautiful show. Ended up losing all sense of time while watching it, admiring the great setting of Neo-Venezia and listening to the great soundtrack in the background.

Surprised I didn't watch this sooner really. It's right up my alley!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 6:

So this week we get some insight into the now deceased Sumika Izumino and her relationship with Kuhera. Seems like she knew she was going to die, but not from a bear attack, she was a member of the exclusion committee and had become the next target of this Invisible Storm which seeks ultimate conformity. Also, somebody also decided to be straight forward about the situation for once as Lulu clues Kuhera about Ginko's feelings for her.

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou - 10

So far among the best Coming-of-age Romcom dramas I've seen. When I was asking about anime that deal with a couple's relationship properly, this is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for and more. Art design, sound design and directing is impeccable and I've really gotten a bunch more respect for Anno. Sad to know he apparently quit at episode 18...but that's still 8 episodes at least.

Here a short, fun webm.

Gotta make a lot more when I'm done with the series.

The Idol Master 19

The way they try to introduce drama into this show is bad. It would be better if it was about clashing personalities or managing school and idol life. (They go to school right? Most of them are school aged...)

The Idol Master 20

I really liked this episode. Sure it was a bit melodramatic but it got to me. Haruka really stepped up to help Chihiya. Again, the circumstances that Chihiya's past got out were lame but the plot of the episode itself was well done.

/XX/

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou - 10

Sad to know he apparently quit at episode 18...but that's still 8 episodes at least.
But passing the torch to Mr. Imaishi for episode 19 delivered an amazing result in the end! How can someone not like the cut-outs playfulness escapes my comprehension...

Yurikuma Arashi 6:
That final scene (prior to the credits) was amazing.
Seeing Ginko leaping into the fire to save the letter Sumika wrote, and then Kureha accepting her as a friend was just a very beautiful moment. It was very reminiscent of the scene in Utena where Utena rescues Anthy at the dance.

This whole episode was pretty fantastic. The flashbacks with Sumika really fleshed out her character a lot, taking her from kind of a flat character who mostly existed for Kureha's angst, into being a pretty interesting character, and now i feel like we can really understand the relationship between Kureha and Sumika. The storybook scene was also downright incredible. The drawings were very nice, the story got right back into Ikuhara's wheelhouse, and it answers a lot of questions in regards to some of the repeated story elements we've seen so far.

Finding out that Sumika had been a part of the exclusionary committee was a surprise, but it explains the reasons that lead up to her death and her decision. It also gives her character more of an arc, although I'm not sure why she trusted Harishima so much. Was it just desperation? I'm assuming right now that the unseen person Harishima was talking to was the teacher. She seems like the only person who could have possibly supplied her with the information that Ginko and Lulu were bears.

This show keeps getting better as far as I'm concerned. The opening episodes were a bit rushed, but after that it seems like Ikuhara managed to bear down and get to heart of the matter. The pacing has been pretty much spot on over the previous three episodes, and the main characters are being fleshed out in some interesting ways.

Hi everyone,

I need recommendations for shounen series that have tournament arcs. I'm doing research!

That said I've watched/read a ton of them so I'm hoping you guys may know 1 or 2 series I haven't come across yet.

A list of series off the top of my head I've been through:

Dragonball
Flame of Recca
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hajime No Ippo
Fairy Tail
One Piece
Naruto
Hunter X Hunter
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

Thanks in advance.

Well you've pretty exhausted a lot of the well known shounen. Might as well watch Bleach as well. First few arcs are brilliant.

Shin Mazinger Z - 18

Holy crap this episode was intense!

From the heroic, manly sacrifices of Tsubasa's crew, and the teaming up of Zeus and Kouji against Hades, it was just crazy all around.

The latter was probably my favourite part of it all. It was like seeing the Link from Wind Waker fighting Ganon alongside the Link from Ocarina of Time.

And man, you gotta feel sympathy for Baron Ashura in this episode. The thing is forced to betray the two people it was in the past in order to keep his loyalty for Dr. Hell in the present. This is like, the only time I've seen Dr. Hell genuinely praise Baron Ashura, when almost everything he did in Mazinkaiser was punish and berate him. That was some really well done stuff in this episode.

Next episode looks like it's going to get even more intense with the reveals too. Oh man, this show is such an awesome ride!

Sailor Moon R 34

Such meanness :p

So, a droid actually comes up with a good plan for once, only to be beaten by the power of friendship and trust. Oh, and Tuxedo Mask gets his ass kicked in this episode too. All while Esmeraude takes a bath.

Yuri Kuma Arashi - 6

So was this the invisible storm? Them gathering around to burn down her flowerbed and telling her that they were just pretending to be friends? Given everything else about the series I was expecting it to be a far more dramatic affair but if all this buildup around the exclusion ceremony was just leading to this then I can't help but come away feeling disappointed. How is the overall effect different from before the time the class was just pretending? I was expecting something more akin to like ... being thrust outside of society as a whole and being forced to fend for themselves on the other side of the wall but this ... is just bullying.

Oh well, at least everything is out in the open now. Lulu saying "Dont waste her love" was a pretty great scene in my book

The teacher is totally the final boss.

I could do without the drama in the latter half of idol master.

Me too. There are so many other interesting ways they could have added drama. The whole rival idol group is really uninteresting. It also doesn't make sense that it's an all male idol group messing with a female idol group. They appeal to completely different audiences, why sabotage someone who isn't even competition?

TUSR

Banned
Me too. There are so many other interesting ways they could have added drama. The whole rival idol group is really uninteresting. It also doesn't make sense that it's an all male idol group messing with a female idol group. They appeal to completely different audiences, why sabotage someone who isn't even competition?
Episode 19 was the tipping point, the Chihaya family stuff was too much.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Annoyingly, the equivalent chapter where Al is introduced was removed but Syrinx is right; they do go into a bit more detail about their relationship so it's not really a problem.

Also, you are flying through this series! Need to step up on PBC

You're correct; the few mentions Akari does mention Man-home, she comments about how more controlled it is rather than Aqua's freestyle life.

But that doesn't work! Even the towns in YKK are pretty peaceful and laidback which doesn't tie in with why Akari would leave!
Oh yeah, what is PBC? That's your side of the watchbet? lol

Besides, we don't know that Akari leaves Earth because it's a hellhole or whatever. We just know that she fell in love with Neo Venezia and wanted to work there!

I thought the actual effects of the drama were good, like having Chihaya facing her past and getting over it, but there could have been a better way of getting to that point instead of "evil rival agency wants to ruin their careers".

Besides, we don't know that Akari leaves Earth because it's a hellhole or whatever. We just know that she fell in love with Neo Venezia and wanted to work there!

I wanted to make Mr.Jeff watch more Doremi, I really did!

PBR = Polar Bear Cafe

Yuri Kuma Arashi 06

B9buIMPCIAAMMs5.jpg:large

I CAME HERE TO LAUGH AT YOU GAO GAO~

So does Ginko care about Lulu at all? It doesn't really seem like it. I liked the episode but I feel like how
Ginko and Lulu escaped from the trap was a bit of a cop out especially since they went half the episode without showing it
A shame Hirishima is such a bitch because her design was made for me in specific. The girl she was talking too who didn't show her face is so totally the teacher, she was quite a bit taller.

This series could be 1,000 episodes long and I would still crack the fuck up at SHOCK! KUMA SHOCK! everytime.

Mr.Jeff

PBC is Polar Bear's Cafe. I find it amusing that a series like this has developed a small but "mainstream" following since it's got the same aimless slice of life content as other series but it lacks the "horrific moe character" designs that make people freak out and start calling people pedophiles.

Well if we want to be really specific, in the first chapter or Aqua Akari specifically mentions that "the cities are beautiful and organised. Everything is very orderly." so I doubt that's become a hellhole unless you want to go down the route that she's been conditioned to say things like that by an oppressive, tyrannical regime.

Yuri Kuma 06

Yurizono's people eating sounds are the cutest.
Also I find it interesting that Ginko was present when Sumika was eaten but did nothing to stop it. I guess this is the other side of love maybe?

Midonin

Absolute Duo 06

I kinda like Lilith, but I'm not that fond of the FPS guys.

Yuri the Pooh and the Honey Tree 06

That story is clearly hinting at what's to come for the rest of the series in some way. Do you give yourself up in order to dedicate yourself to another person? It's a pretty interesting question to pose, actually. The Invisible Storm continues to be the worst example of a clique.

Kamisama ◎ 05

Nanami's handling this a lot better than Tomoe.

Strawberry Marshmallow 00-03

If AzuDai was American-style in its humor, with its barrage of punchlines and occasional trippy moments, Marshmallow is practically British. The reactions aren't exaggerated and even the music is kept to a minimum - there's also a lot of love for Western bands, oddly. Miu is the Tomo of this series, without a doubt, but the closest thing descended from this series seems to be Mitsudomoe - though that's cruder overall.

It appears that this show was the first recorded instance of the phrase "cute girls doing cute things" in Western anime fandom, though I can't find any of that description in the Japanese media - except for the catchphrase "Cute is justice!" The character of Ana is equal parts adorable and interesting, with her Japanophile tendencies that she tries to mask, like an inverse of Sketchbook's Kate. I also read that Nobue was aged up in the anime so that her vices would be legal, but they're still there, making this anime feel less like Lucky Star and more like Lucky Strike, if you know what I mean. I like what I see based on the first few episodes - most of the jokes land.

Persona 3 Movie Falling Down PV
http://youtu.be/uqVk8KUMv5k

After watching this PV I'm so fuckin hyped, my body is so ready for this.😍 Lotus Juice and Yumi are just so amazing with their music. Man making this series into Movies was such a right move because in all honesty the story fits much better in a movie format rather than as a anime. Also seeing my man Makoto (the best protagonist in the whole Persona series) in action is great.

Yeah I know I'm a bit late in watching the PV.

But home to one of the worst MCs ever.

Search your feelings you know that statement to be false

After watching this PV I'm so fuckin hyped, my body is so ready for this.�� Lotus Juice and Yumi are just so amazing with their music. Man making this series into Movies was such a right move because in all honesty the story fits much better in a movie format rather than as a anime. Also seeing my man Makoto (the best protagonist in the whole Persona series) in action is great.

Yeah I know I'm a bit late in watching the PV.

Second movie hasn't even released in blu-ray. What's up with these anime blu-ray speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom