• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BEST

GIRL

MEMQspa.png

Crocodile

Thanks for the Tokyo Ghoul clarification everyone. Its not a surprise that its popular though, vampire stories are always popular on both side of the Pacific. Hell don't we have another vampire anime coming up next month?

Am I the only one who really hates those clean cut, tie together every little plot point, explain every little detail endings (looking at you FMA)?

Yes? Some stories work better with certain types of endings and other stories work best with other types of endings. There is rarely a reason to hate any sort of type of ending (especially something as vague as "all the loose plot ends were tied up") just its execution. Like did you need more people to die at the end of FMA for the ending to be good for you? A plot thread or two left complete unaddressed would have pleased you? What was the problem there? We are talking about Brotherhood right?

Saekano END

Well those last two episodes were probably my favorite of the series. Really enjoyed seeing Kato act more aggresively and assert herself more towards Aki rather than just sorta going with the flow like she usually did. Sure nothing was really resolved but I'm ok with that because it told an entertaining and amusing story. Its certainly one of the better harem anime I've seen and I tend to dislike them by default.

BEST

GIRL

haly is one of excellent tastes.

Clov

The new Animator Expo short, Obake-chan, is up! It's really cute.
Pretty silly stuff, but the best part has got to be the Eva music. Never thought I'd hear Komm Susser Todd like that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can't believe noitamina basically reworked its schedule for Saekano of all things. The last time they did it was for Wandering Son, but the tsunami forced them to cancel an episode. Of all the shows to give the extra-episode treatment, it's this one? I'm going to assume that the source material for this thing isn't done yet, because I bet they probably wanted to do a 2 cour run of this damn thing.

Not knowing what the sales are like, I assume this thing is doing as expected (5k+) in terms of sales. It's so sickeningly patronizing with its references, especially the TERRIBLE speech defending otaku in episode 11, that I'm sure the audience that show is made for is eating this shit up.

Tomoya is the new Kirito after all. :/

Jarmel

Banned
Well Punchline is getting twelve episodes next season too.

Anyway Saekano already broke the 10k mark so otaku are definitely lapping the shit up.

I can't believe noitamina basically reworked its schedule for Saekano of all things. The last time they did it was for Wandering Son, but the tsunami forced them to cancel an episode. Of all the shows to give the extra-episode treatment, it's this one? I'm going to assume that the source material for this thing isn't done yet, because I bet they probably wanted to do a 2 cour run of this damn thing.

Not knowing what the sales are like, I assume this thing is doing as expected (5k+) in terms of sales. It's so sickeningly patronizing with its references, especially the TERRIBLE speech defending otaku in episode 11, that I'm sure the audience that show is made for is eating this shit up.

Tomoya is the new Kirito after all. :/
You're so tsundere for Saekano its adorable.

Jintor

Nozaki kun is more of a comedy with romantic trappings than a romance with comedy trappings

but it is FUCKING HILARIOUS and that's what's important.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nozaki kun is more of a comedy with romantic trappings than a romance with comedy trappings

but it is FUCKING HILARIOUS and that's what's important.

There's not even really romantic trappings. That's just kind of the frame plot. It's 100% a comedy.

Syrinx

Nozaki-kun was so refreshing in how it didn't for one second let any relationship drama or whatnot take away from what the show excelled at doing so much.

One of the best anime comedies in years, watch it.

Jintor

God I hope we get a second season.

Manga is amazeballs too. I was totally bored by the mangaka's first manga but Gekkan Shoujo is sogud. (Probably to do with the 4koma structure - I found their first manga actually very difficult to actually read)

SCChappy

Banned
I was expecting more Nozaki to be more geared towards the romantic aspect but it was so good that I didn't even care by the time I finished it.

Cornbread78

Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku.
Honey and Clover.

Bookmarked somehow for future use, I might need this one as well as the one from earlier after Madoka

Madoka VII
I mean, these are just middle s cool kids and that damn cute animal is using them such a teary and sad scene as reality starts to hit her best friend and she feels helpless. As I would for my own daughter, I wanted to hold her and help ease the pain...
Madoka is going to do it, and you can tell
If it happens the way it looks like it is, I will be sad! Stay strong Madoka, don't do it!

Uugghh...

SCChappy

Banned
Here's everything that I've watched and liked:

Kill la Kill, Chuunibyo, Madoka, Sakurasou, Golden Time, Toradora, Oreimo, Gurren Lagann, Love Live, Nozaki-kun, Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Nisekoi, Panty & Stocking, Lucky Star, Love Lab, Parasyte, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Hunter x Hunter, and Your lie in April

There's a lot of holes in that list, but what are the "essentials" that I need to watch?

Kill la Kill, Chuunibyo, Madoka, Sakurasou, Golden Time, Toradora, Oreimo, Gurren Lagann, Love Live, Nozaki-kun, Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Nisekoi, Panty & Stocking, Lucky Star, Love Lab, Parasyte, and Your lie in April.

There's a lot of holes in that list, but what are the "essentials" that I need to watch?

Try -

Space Dandy, Ping Pong, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, Barakamon, Aku no Hana, Hyouka, . I haven't seen the last two.

Good shit from this season -

Shirobako, Yuri Kuma Arashi (Warning: lewd), Yoru no Yatterman, Junketsu no Maria, Death Parade

Longer shows I'm more hesitant to reccomend because of length -

Hunter X Hunter 2011, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Gintama

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
What's the verdict on Death Parade? I caught up to it and I'm really enjoying it

Its good but as MPB pointed out, which is the case for me, it fell through since it didn't have any continuity in my eyes. Just separate short stories that never seemed to tie the knot and make a fully fleshed out story. Its great nonetheless so I recommend it.

ibyea

Banned
Yes? Some stories work better with certain types of endings and other stories work best with other types of endings. There is rarely a reason to hate any sort of type of ending (especially something as vague as "all the loose plot ends were tied up") just its execution. Like did you need more people to die at the end of FMA for the ending to be good for you? A plot thread or two left complete unaddressed would have pleased you? What was the problem there? We are talking about Brotherhood right?

I personally had the same problem with FMA Brotherhood's ending too. I usually like my plots solved without dangling threads and most attempts at "figure it out on your own!" comes off very annoying to me, but I feel like this one went too far in the other direction. Like, it ended, and then it kept ending and ending and ending. Maybe because the entire last episode was the ending. I dunno. Maybe I should watch it again and see if I change my mind.

Jarmel

Banned
Obake-chan

Really cute although a lot of the jokes I didn't find funny. The EVA music at the end slayed me though.

Koyama really has a strong grasp on color direction and how to make your work stand out visually just through colors.

cajunator

Banned
Bookmarked somehow for future use, I might need this one as well as the one from earlier after Madoka

Madoka VII
I mean, these are just middle s cool kids and that damn cute animal is using them such a teary and sad scene as reality starts to hit her best friend and she feels helpless. As I would for my own daughter, I wanted to hold her and help ease the pain...
Madoka is going to do it, and you can tell
If it happens the way it looks like it is, I will be sad! Stay strong Madoka, don't do it!

Uugghh...

yeah Madoka really presses some buttons. Its a pretty crazy story. But theres plenty more secrets to discover.

Kill la Kill, Chuunibyo, Madoka, Sakurasou, Golden Time, Toradora, Oreimo, Gurren Lagann, Love Live, Nozaki-kun, Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Nisekoi, Panty & Stocking, Lucky Star, Love Lab, Parasyte, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Hunter x Hunter, and Your lie in April

Watch Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei.
actually there are a ton of shows from the late 80s to early 2000s that are almost lost in time due to non renewed licenses and companies out of the market.
Stuff like Chrno Crusade, Read or Die, Kiddy Grade, Scrapped Princess, and even cute things like Hand Maid May. Newer fans are missing out on some enjoyable things.

Crocodile

Its good but as MPB pointed out, which is the case for me, it fell through since it didn't have any continuity in my eyes. Just separate short stories that never seemed to tie the knot and make a fully fleshed out story. Its great nonetheless so I recommend it.

There is very clearly a continuity and a major plot within the show. Hell, specific games from previous games are mentioned and referenced. The thread that binds the whole series together are Chiyuki and her situation, Nona's gambit and of course how messed up the arbiter system is in general.

Unrelated, but given your tastes you should absolutely watch Panty and Stocking, I think you'd really like it.

I personally had the same problem with FMA Brotherhood's ending too. I usually like my plots solved without dangling threads and most attempts at "figure it out on your own!" comes off very annoying to me, but I feel like this one went too far in the other direction. Like, it ended, and then it kept ending and ending and ending. Maybe because the entire last episode was the ending. I dunno. Maybe I should watch it again and see if I change my mind.

An epilogue episode is pretty standard practice and there were a lot of plot threads or characters that needed wrapping up. There was no point really in the last episode where they could have ended it before it actually ended without someone, somewhere asking "but what about X". Everybody who was still alive deserved closure.

Saekano 12
Overall, I liked it, watched for Katou. Now we wait for the upcoming VN to get the true experience.

Koufuku Graffiti 12
Fun show OP ED even Previews are fun. and Kirin is just too damn adorable.

Graduation
lol she can't fit in her uniform, too much eating.

That one image is gonna become a reality now that they are to spend more time together.

PK Gaming

Well, you definitely need to get started on Monogatari: Second Season. If you were displeased Nise, you'll happen to know that Second Season is much, much better.

Aside from that... you should definitely check out Code Geass,Death Note, Ping Pong and Space Dandy. You might like K-ON and Soul Eater. I'm also going to recommend my personal favorite anime, The Tatami Galaxy, which is very good.

Droplet

Akatsuki no Yona 1-24

That non-ending though.

This was as interesting series to play in the background. I found Soo-Won much more compelling than main cast and only really paid attention during his episode with the Wind Tirbe. Aside from that, I saw a lot of potential with the plot and characters, but boring romance antics involving characters with the emotional maturity of a ten year old, unnecessarily long flashbacks, and constant reminders of "BUT SHE'S A GIRL SO WHY DO I FEEL SO _________" held it back. I'm actually fairly saddened by this because there are little flashes where it really does seem like that an intelligent plot could be unfolding, but the whole thing feels so dumbed down to appeal to the target demographic. Yona herself even feels like she could be a good character, but the more and more I was reminded how special she was, the less and less I was willing to believe it. The particularly annoying moment comes when the pirate captain asks her what she can do, but apparently 20 or so episodes of camping in the wilderness and practicing the bow lead her to say she can do absolutely nothing. It's particularly frustrating because the show keeps pushing and pushing that she's supposed to be this amazing person, and yet there are barely any results to show for it 20 episodes later. As if to help this out, we also have Hak, who could actually be the worst offender of dragging the show to its abysmal pace. He spends most of his screentime being awkward about wanting to get under his princess's skirt, tell her she can't do the things she wants to because she'll be in danger, and being this model male lead for the main demographic to fawn over.

Aside from that, the other side characters were fairly fun and quirky, although the lack of group dynamics made it fairly evident that we were watching Yona and her followers over a group of people with interesting relationships with each other. The green dragon guy was a good exception to this and came off as far and away the most interesting of the others.

I did really like the first opening and the second endings. They worked very well with the story and helped the idea of the show being a bit of a fantastical period drama.

All in all, I liked it as a side distraction, but would really prefer to see a bit more of a "show don't tell" policy in the script, because this show could really use it. I'm a bit more excited now to see how The Heroic Legend of Arslan turns out, because from what I can tell it has a bit of a similar plot but aimed more at both genders in terms of demographic.

Quasar

Finished Kimi ni Todoke S1. Burned through it in three nights It really gave me 'one more episode' fever.

It really was great. I especially liked the first half. Sure they are very standard kinds of shojo arcs but I felt they are just really well put together. But really there isn''t a single arc I didn't really like.

Has me wanting to rewatch S2 which I'd already seen. I'm also bummed its only 13 rather than 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom