• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Planetes 7
9NZYiCK.jpg

:')

10/10 AOTY. I am absolutely loving the show, thanks for the recommendation guys. I'm especially loving how the world and situation isn't far fetched at all. It's the 'Moon' of anime and I love that movie.

It's going to be fun talking to you after you're finished...

Let's just say that I'm not a uh huge fan of the final arc.

There was already an episode early on that was so fucking similar to interstellar, with the
spinning piece of debris and Hachi having to control it manually
that's when I knew this show was going to be all right all right all right. So I'm hoping the final arc isn't a huge shark jumping event.

Planetes 8

Bit of character expansion and the crew pitching in all together. Such a lovable bunch of rascals. I can't stand Claire.

Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE! 1

This is a straight-up magical boy series. It's not done in a mocking way like Kore wa Zombie nor is it a parody. It's 100% magical boy.

That shouldn't be a novel concept, but it is.

Jarmel

Banned
Korra Season 4: Episode 11

Yea this is some really stupid shit but whatever. The camel's back broke long ago.

Pacific-Rim-jaegers.jpg

Well at least I get my Gypsy Danger anime before 2016.

Oh hey, Woofington is going to star in this week's Jojo.

looks like I need to get back into Jojo
Korra Season 4: Episode 11

Yea this is some really stupid shit but whatever. The camel's back broke long ago.

[MG]http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Pacific-Rim-jaegers.jpg[/IMG]

Well at least I get my Gypsy Danger anime before 2016.
that ruined any good will I had for season 4.

-----------------------------------------

Planetes 10

DaoKtdX.gif

I'M NOT CRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYING!

Fucking. Depressing. Episode.

Jarmel

Banned
Korra Season 4: Episode 12

This really is fucking garbage writing. "Let's use my super weapon in a frontal assault with no ground/aerial troops to support me." The damn mecha doesn't even have anti-personnel weapons. This is what happens when you have nobody who understands how a military works, writing a show. Like why is Kuvira even rampaging through the city in the first place? She should be heading to Air Temple Island to accept the terms of surrender.

Yay! New episodes of stuff.

Your Lie in April 12

That was a good episode but what the hell, did they forget how episode 11 ended? Also, not a big fan of the new OP. First one was too good.

That's the thing, these characters aren't making much sense. It appears as though they have this kind of 'pretentious talk' modus where everything said is completely forgotten and does not affect the characters whatsoever. Because of that the confession in ep11 didn't actually really happen...or s.th.

There have been several heart-to-heart moments between Kousei and Kaori before that all appear to have never happened.

edit:
Just saw someone on reddit linking to this trailer of the Live-Action Ping Pong movie, which he/she even considers to be better than the anime. Hmm maybe I should check it out, trailer actually does look promising.

Planetes 11

-From up here you can't see any borders. All you see is Earth.

That cut deep. Coming from South America and living in the US I tend to feel guilty as Claire did in the episode, definitely made me like her a bit more. A country torn by civil war, and a company struggling to be considered relevant because of its third world status? Fucking stung. Another amazing episode.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam

I don't know, I really liked the last arc.
Are you talking about the entire Von Braun thing (because that was great) or just the conclusion of the whole 'depression' arc? Because that was a bit lame but the journey there was good.

phaze

Korra Season 4: Episode 12

This really is fucking garbage writing. "Let's use my super weapon in a frontal assault with no ground/aerial troops to support me." The damn mecha doesn't even have anti-personnel weapons. This is what happens when you have nobody who understands how a military works, writing a show. Like why is Kuvira even rampaging through the city in the first place? She should be heading to Air Temple Island to accept the terms of surrender.

I don't generally disagree with that but wasn't she just attacked by the Korra and company when in the city ? And she already send someone to get the surrender and he got kidnapped.

Also the superior Tokyo Ghoul S2 opening. (Panty shot warning)

Jarmel

Banned
I don't generally disagree with that but wasn't she just attacked by the Korra and company when in the city ? And she already send someone to get the surrender and he got kidnapped.

She has zero reason to move the mecha inside the city when she has the standing army surrender and can just move her normal army inside. In fact it makes more sense to keep the mecha near the Fire Nation army to keep them in line.

She should go in person as it makes a stronger visual image for the press if she's there. Also she already knows Baatar is kidnapped so he's not accepting any requests.

Are you talking about the entire Von Braun thing (because that was great) or just the conclusion of the whole 'depression' arc? Because that was a bit lame but the journey there was good.

The
SDF thing
. Felt completely forced.

Pooya

what I didn't like was
resolution between Tanabe and Hachimaki, it was too good, he didn't even know she was crippled months after the fact. It's too good and easy for Hachimaki... Tanabe had some good moments in the final arc and oxygen tank scene was great showing even her idealism can crack but they could do more with her in the end. so yeah I think it ended too happily
but everything else was awesome.

The manga is widely different in the back half and has other themes (and far fewer characters), worth reading as well. They're two different takes, both are very good in my book and have their merits. I don't take that as the anime was a bad show.

The
SDF thing
. Felt completely forced.

well
that ended way worse than it could too but now that I'm looking at this it was very like any other terrorist attack. Their motivations was just a farce for somebody else's benefits and these fools fell for it, maybe a bit more like a realistic terror group than some freedom fighters you'd think they are with ther heavy handed 3rd world is poor and kept poor messaging.

Jarmel

Banned
why do you think I left? It got fucking irritating when after the final season it turned solely into that. It's embarassing.

I just don't understand why people are obsessing over that stuff when there's so much to dissect in where the writing went wrong. It's like trying to pack up your desktop computer when your apartment building is on fire. People really have their priorities in a messed up order.

fertygo

I just don't understand why people are obsessing over that stuff when there's so much to dissect in where the writing went wrong. It's like trying to pack up your desktop computer when your apartment building is on fire. People really have their priorities in a messed up order.

Eh, that's what I'm actually gonna do lol

There were a few us who wanted to discuss the issues but we were drowned out by the squeeing of Korrasami fans.

You and me both. They ruined Bolin, he had so much potential. Also they ruined the big opportunity they had with Kuvira, they went straight earth nazi power rangers route. These guys knew how to create a world but apparently the writing staff is missing key individuals. They George Lucas'd it.

Planetes 14
No joke, the romance between these two is adorable. Every character has shined so far, even ones that were kind of assholes at first like Claire.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
why do you think I left? It got fucking irritating when after the final season it turned solely into that. It's embarassing.

It is the only legacy worth talking about, the only thing the finale will ever be remembered for and the kicker is the show will be praised for it for years because of it.

Jarmel

Banned
Japan Animator Expo-8 (Tomorrow from there)
Well Teddyloid has been decrowned from best music in these shorts. Besides that, I have no fucking clue what to make of this as NOBODY IS TRANSLATING THE LYRICS.

Well at least Pen-Pen gets some love.

Edit: I've watched this over four times. Welp.
In some ways this is the most elegant short out of all of them. It's extremely simple and straightforward in that it's a girl struggling to get by, and seemingly ashamed to contact her parents, while she studies to be a marine biologist. All of this while she dreams of a better life for herself.

Jesus, this really highlights how bad so many of the Anime Mirai shorts are. How am I getting more out of a five minute OVA than all those other works? I imagine the level of creative freedom is similar. I mean look how the color palette changes throughout the episode to reflect her mood.

2nd Edit: This is really a short about changing your perspective on life. She became obsessed with wealth, luxury goods, and status to the point where she was depressed about her life. Instead she failed to see the beauty and vibrance around her everyday.
izD5EVEMIQVSa.png

Notice her reflection in the water.
It seems to be saying that while it's good to try and better yourself, don't obsess over it and enjoy your life.

3rd Edit: There really are so many small subtle things in the short, god damn. The way she holds the glass ball above her head like it's beyond her or 'above' her life, as it is now. The double rainbow is there to also signify her transformation and her internal happiness. The cake being misshapen shows how she was idolizing something that was false and corrupted. It was all an illusion in her head. There's the obvious water symbolism to represent rebirth, in that she has a new attitude. In the transformation sequence when she sees the 'big city', she sparkles instead of the tower. The way the city doesn't shine at the end visually represents how to her; now it's just a bunch of buildings.

The work also uses reiteration to good use to display the monotony of everyday life.

Oh gawd, this is all 2deep4me.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
GaoGaiGar Final Episode 1:

So this is the part of GaoGaiGar that is supposed to elevate this part of the Brave series into true greatness. I am curious to see if it can live up to that lofty ambition, so far, this your standard reintroduction episode, showing what has changed and what has stayed the same; I have to admit not as much has changed as I was expecting and I am not really enjoying new character Renee or her stupid glasses either.

Jarmel

Banned
GaoGaiGar Final Episode 1:

So this is the part of GaoGaiGar that is supposed to elevate this part of the Brave series into true greatness. I am curious to see if it can live up to that lofty ambition, so far, this your standard reintroduction episode, showing what has changed and what has stayed the same; I have to admit not as much has changed as I was expecting and I am not really enjoying new character Renee or her stupid glasses either.

You're in for a ride. Hated the fuck out of the TV series and Final is one of my favorite mecha series.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You're in for a ride. Hated the fuck out of the TV series and Final is one of my favorite mecha series.

I hope so, the anime series was alright but I felt like it was overhyped and just not as good as other bit of the Brave franchise.

cajunator

Banned

It was kind of messy but then life can be messy. I dont think it was out of place or anything.

Planetes 11

-From up here you can't see any borders. All you see is Earth.

That cut deep. Coming from South America and living in the US I tend to feel guilty as Claire did in the episode, definitely made me like her a bit more. A country torn by civil war, and a company struggling to be considered relevant because of its third world status? Fucking stung. Another amazing episode.

It will be interesting to see how you react to some of the later stuff.

Planetes 12

Welp. Best character in the show is now my favorite woman in any anime. Nobody fucks with her cigarettes

Yeah dont get between her and her cigs. Loved that episode. She just wanted a smoke!

duckroll

Animator Expo - Tomorrow from there (dir: Akemi Hayashi)

That was pretty good. Totally forgot about this after the two week break they took over the holidays. It's definitely an Akemi Hayashi short, and even though there isn't really that much to it, it's very relaxing and enjoyable to watch. It's pretty much her trademark "story montage of a girl's day/journey/fantasy cut as a music video" sequence, but even if it isn't particularly unique, it looks great. Nice colors, pleasant character designs, and varied backgrounds throughout.

cajunator

Banned
You and me both. They ruined Bolin, he had so much potential. Also they ruined the big opportunity they had with Kuvira, they went straight earth nazi power rangers route. These guys knew how to create a world but apparently the writing staff is missing key individuals. They George Lucas'd it.

Planetes 14
No joke, the romance between these two is adorable. Every character has shined so far, even ones that were kind of assholes at first like Claire.

Yeah Ai is super adorable and she has a pure heart. she is a sweetheart and you want to see her succeed.

It was quite popular. Mekakucity wasnt so good but thats not common for Shaft.
I think the source material wasnt very good to begin with.

I guess it's for the best I never saw that. But a lot of my recent favorite shows have been from SHAFT, so I'm more than willing to give them a pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom