• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

Just finish Full Metal Panic! today. Love it so far. Pacing is fine and it's actually an easy to watch show to watch as they isn't too much crazy stuff to understand. Love the main characters in the story and have to chuckle a bit for the guy who basically don't have any idea of how to react to normal teen life.

Can't say any negative stuff....maybe some filler episode which I don't think it's needed but it's just there to bring out the other characters in the show. Love the 3 parts The Wind Blows At Home as you start to understand the past of the main character and also witness a very well written (even though it's been done already) story and also character development to the other characters who is just there to get kill. Not bad I have to say.

Overall, like the series and going to jump to Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid.

Wondering who here still love the show or hate it. Kinda want to see other people impression as mine is still fresh.

GATCHAMAN CROWDS insight THIS YEAR!

VQvw0gX.jpg

Crocodile

Parasyte 13

Why are we STILL on this "Shinichi has changed" plotline? It's getting repetitious as all fuck :/ I'm curious where they go with that detective angle. Dude was a subtle as an African Elephant and he still got the scoop. I can understand Shinchi's hesitation to kill him but he still has to be addressed in some fashion.

That top 4 is depressing.

As far as I can tell, Shirobako is still selling well all things considered. Even if bad shows do better, as long as good shows do well, we can still be happy no?

Firemind

Wondering who here still love the show or hate it. Kinda want to see other people impression as mine is still fresh.

I think all three seasons are about equal with the first season clinching first place. While Kyoani's production is rock solid, the pacing is better balanced in the first season. Fumoffu is funny at times, but personally I'd rather have mecha action mixed into it, since that's what sets it apart from other high school comedies. The ending is also bad since there's no overarching plot. Second Raid has that cringeworthy scene in Hong Kong and I don't mean Mao's Cantonese! I can speak Cantonese and that is just jibberish, but I can't fault the VA for not speaking it fluently. At any rate, Gauron is awesome and one of the main reasons that makes the first season so watchable. Gonzo deserves some credit.

Gundam: Reconguista in G 15:
GENIUS KLIM NICK (or I guess I should say Genius Klimton Nicchini) returns in 2015, and is just as much of a genius as before.

Also, more new factions appear. Tomino clearly wants Episode 26 to be so numbered because it features a 26-sided battle.

The battle in this episode wasn't particularly interesting, but the rest of the episode was pretty great. Nu-Raraiya's interactions with characters are good, and she's becoming more assertive. Also, even on space colonies cockroaches always survive.

That next episode preview. They just casually drop a massive spoiler like we should have known it all along.
Bellri and Aida's relationship sure is getting interesting.

Lupin the Third Part 1 Episode 1

k8nmjC5.png
xCiAR4O.png

Well this was certainly strange. A bit of an odd starting point as well, since it involves Lupin's participation in a race that's supposed to result in his death at the hands of Scorpion. They only manage to toss some branches and an explosive trophy his way, so it's no surprise that Lupin is able to easily destroy their headquarters and the racetrack they've built. I guess the highlight is just how weird all of this can be while still seeming rather earnest; Lupin takes down Scorpion's headquarters by dressing up as a plumber and breaking a bunch of pipes with a hammer, and that's pretty silly but it doesn't really feel like it goes off into Looney Tunes territory, especially as he makes a kind of triumphant entrance later on. I got a bit confused at the end as the racetrack exploded by what seemed like an accident, yet Lupin was arrested anyway since Fujiko (whose main purpose in this episode is, of course, to be groped) delivered Jigen to Zenigata. There are also some more questions I could definitely ask, but I imagine that's not really the point. It was a fun watch.

Blusby

For those that might've been lamenting the live-action updates for Ghost in the Shell, a brand-new animated feature has just been announced for this coming summer in Japan. Production will be handled by the same team responsible for the Arise OVA and, apparently, it might be a faithful adaptation of the original manga from Masamune Shirow in celebration of his twenty-five year career.
I'd much prefer a semi-faithful adaptation of the manga to a totally original script by Ubukata so hopefully this turns out to be true.

yami4ct

Aim for the Top! Gun buster 4-6

This is a difficult one to review for me. There's an undeniable brilliance in these last 3 episodes. As an action show, Gunbuster is among the top of the top. Some of these scenes are visual masterpieces. Add in the musical choices and you have some of the most memorable action scenes I've seen in a mecha anime.

On the story side, the show is incredibly ambitious. It's working with some amazing ideas. The use of relativity in the last two episodes is fascinating and is possibly one of the most creative uses of the idea I've seen in a sci-fi movie or show. The biggest problem for me, and perhaps this is sacrilege, but the cast really lets the show down. All these great, emotional ideas sort of fall flat because I just don't care about the characters. There's nothing there. It's not that they're bad, they're just boring. It's extremely frustrating, because if I actually liked the cast this would possibly be one of my favorite bits of sci-fi ever.

What's amazing, though, is that the final scene is really successful despite this problem. The build-up through the final episode really makes it land, despite me not caring about the characters involved. The brave choice to make the episode almost entirely in black and white brought this sort of melancholic tone that really made it worked. I absolutely adored the final episode from beginning to end because of this, but the final scene in particular is going to probably be one of my favorites of all time.

So, can I consider Gunbuster to be one of my all time favorites? For me, I think it just misses the mark. I really, really like the show. Evaluating it purely as an action show, it's almost perfect. Looking at the full picture, though, there's too much holding it back for me to really fall in complete love. As I said, the cast is bland and boring. The borderline bad first half isn't really paid off all that well by the second half. I see what others see in the show, but I can't be on the same page. It's definitely in my top 10 mech shows, but it misses the "best anime of all time" mark by a good distance.

Syrinx

Shirobako 13

Musani now doing a manga adaptation, which has its own set of challenges. Probably my favorite part was the bit about doing the character designs for the adaptation and how tricky it actually is to pull off.

Show seems like its getting ready to put the main five girls on the same project. Seiyuu gets an audition for the show, the team was really impressed with Rii-chan's research, and it will be more CG heavy than their last project.

Mature

I should just bullshit my AOTY vote and get back to Bebop.
Sounds like a solid plan.

I just got up to Ganymede Elegy (been watching at a leisurely pace with friends). I swear, that episode seems to get better every time I see it.

Narag

Sounds like a solid plan.

I just got up to Ganymede Elegy (been watching at a leisurely pace with friends). I swear, that episode seems to get better every time I see it.

Still can't believe I didn't remember that ep at all. Unsure if it was due to how long it'd been since I watched it or simply caring more for Spike than the rest in the initial viewing so his (arguably) stronger eps stuck with me longer.

Strike Witches S2 - 11

Wow. That was actually a pretty solid and well done emotional moment. They've been building it up for a while, but it also
came with the twist that the more she used the Reppuzan, the more it sucked her magic away.

Show's finale is shaping up to be pretty interesting too.
Can't wait to see Miyafuji doing the Shining Finger Sword!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei - Yokohama Disturbance Part I

Okay this episode, THIS FUCKING EPISODE!

The praise for Onii-sama just went through the roof. These kids flat out having meetings after school to tell him how amazing he is.

Mysterious people from the shadows showing up out of nowhere begging him to do things for them because he's the only one who can do it.

Somehow all the episodes up until now they were able to hide it but now it's just gone full force with the praise. Despite all this to allow his opponent a last moment of happiness he allowed them to shoot him through to chest until he had enough and wiped them off the face of the Earth.

PRAISE ONII-SAMA!

Yay! New episodes of stuff.

Shirobako 13

I really want to watch Aerial Girls lol. Lets go Zuka-chan, you got this audition. I like the new ED as well.

Your Lie in April 12

That was a good episode but what the hell, did they forget how episode 11 ended? Also, not a big fan of the new OP. First one was too good.

Yona of the Dawn 13

Yona is really good at making dudes fall for her thing. This is also a series where I dont mind the mood whiplashes. It just flows well. I wonder what Blue Dragons power is.

*71,081 Gundam SEED Vol.1 [DVD]

*80,635 Gundam SEED Destiny Vol.1 [DVD]

*50,631 Gundam 00 Vol.1 [DVD+BD]

*2,343 Gundam Age Vol.1 [BD]

*5,324 Gundam G no Reconguista Vol.1 [BD+DVD] 

At least it did better than Age....
"Better than AGE" is not an achievement , it's a requirement ! GUndam AGE is trully the absolute worst in gundam ever made.

For Log Horizon, I hope at some point
they introduce Roe2. That'd be swell.

Well going by the Opening , they are going to do that .. ( such a spoilering opening , lol )

Mature

Still can't believe I didn't remember that ep at all. Unsure if it was due to how long it'd been since I watched it or simply caring more for Spike than the rest in the initial viewing so his (arguably) stronger eps stuck with me longer.
Yeah, when I saw the show in High School I doubt I was as interested in the themes associated with Jet's character than I was with the rest of the cast. But now that I'm a bit older, the themes of accepting his flaws and doing right in the face of contempt of the ones you love resonates a lot harder. And of course just the beats of the episode; specifically Rhint's silent reminiscing, and some of the shot compositions in the last scenes of the episode are masterful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom