• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibyea

Banned
Shirobako 1-13
Just marathoned the show. Holy crap guys, thanks for advertising this show with your constant streams of opinion. This is a great show and I am glad to have taken the recommendation. I feel like some of the struggles in it apply to areas other than just anime production. Some of those struggles is so relateable to what I still feel right now while climbing up the physics undergrad program. Aside from that, the tension and chaos from trying to complete anime to the deadline makes for a great story. Can't wait for the next episode!

Girls und Panzer 08-12 + OVA's

Ending kept the same brisk pace and ended on a fairly cool battle. If you don't like strategy its probably underwhelming but for me I liked it.

And holy shit guys, watch out for those OVA's. I thought they would be filled with the usual fanservice beach episode nonsense (and it was partly) but damn they totally trick your ass into learning!

2Dv6kwU.jpg

Seriously the amount of military and history facts in these OVA is amazing and they are not even full length episodes. Why don't they just teach people with this kind of thing!

Also the nonexistent world building or explanation of the cities on ships and why from the show... BOOM in the OVAs.

They seriously hit on everything. They leave no questions, no "hey that makes no sense because it was not explained." Soooooo many anime could learn from what they did.

Girls und Panzer gets my vote as one of the best things ever in anime simply for these OVAs that actually explain the shit in their world. -bravo-

Mature

Ending kept the same brisk pace and ended on a fairly cool battle. If you don't like strategy its probably underwhelming but for me I liked it.

And holy shit guys, watch out for those OVA's. I thought they would be filled with the usual fanservice beach episode nonsense (and it was partly) but damn they totally trick your ass into learning!

Seriously the amount of military and history facts in these OVA is amazing and they are not even full length episodes. Why don't they just teach people with this kind of thing!

Also the nonexistent world building or explanation of the cities on ships and why from the show... BOOM in the OVAs.

They seriously hit on everything. They leave no questions, no "hey that makes no sense because it was not explained." Soooooo many anime could learn from what they did.

Girls und Panzer gets my vote as one of the best things ever in anime simply for these OVAs that actually explain the shit in their world. -bravo-
Patlabor did this in Minipato. It'd explain some of the concepts of the show as well as describe the specifics of the Labors in hard sci-fi.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet 5

This show is a pretty sci-fi sol, and I'm liking the music lately too. But this ep is Ledo-service leading to really bad trans jokes for too long of its runtime.

It's fair to say that it's the worst episode in the series. Thankfully it's the only episode of its kind and the show returns to form afterwards.

Narag

It's fair to say that it's the worst episode in the series. Thankfully it's the only episode of its kind and the show returns to form afterwards.

I really don't think it's fair to say that at all. 5 & 6 get a bad rap for being fanservicey when the core of those eps is Ledo finally integrating himself into Gargantia and her culture.

Strike Witches S2 - 12 END

All right, I'm not going to lie, this was a pretty enjoyable finale to a pretty enjoyable show.

Miyafuji does the Shining Finger Sword, everyone joins in to help, there's just a ton of energy and it all wraps up pretty nicely.

For a show that's advertised a lot for its fanservice, there's actually quite a lot of heart put into these characters. They all have personalities and backstories that make them more than just stereotypes. I mean, they're not super DEEP characters, but at least they're active and distinct enough from each other to each be memorable in their own right.

Buy my problem is that the show really does more with the fanservice than I'd like it to. The concept of magical girls fighting aliens in the 1940s is a neat concept. And for all the good that the show does do with its characters, it never tries to go above and beyond with what it can do and fills the remaining blanks with fanservice. I know it doesn't really NEED to, but I feel like there's quite a bit of potential this show doesn't really tap into.

Like, that little bit in S1 with
the humanoid Neuroi interacting with Miyafuji goes completley nowhere in this season. Why? That was interesting! Why didn't they go somewhere with it?

I really wish the show gave the Neuroi more of an identity. I wouldn't care if they were the standard "MWA HA HA" villains. Just something, anything would have been better than just a bunch of CG geometrical shapes that shoot lasers and THAT'S IT.

I know I'm probably looking too deep into it, but I just feel that more could have been done with those things!

Despite my complaints about that though, the show is decent enough with enjoyable characters that carry the show well enough on their own. If you want a show about moe military girls, you're probably better off watching this rather than that Kancolle or whatever's airing right now.

So if you don't mind a show that's super heavy with its fanservice, I'd say give it a shot.

Saekano 00

Meta-commentary is alright, although I wonder how long they can keep it up. I do like the fact that it's trying to push the plain, generic girl as main girl though. Might be good, might not, but I'm interested for the moment at least.

cajunator

Banned
Kancolle 01

Yea, I don't understand the appeal of ship girls. This did nothing to change my mind.

The Testament of Sister New Devil 01

Why did I watch this? I was bored and it was on Crunchyroll. Probably won't be watching any more of this.

I dont really find them all that amazing either. They look pretty generic. Not a lot to differentiate each girl besides different gun armaments. They dont even have special suits or anything.

It would have helped if there was some sort of in-show appeal to watch past "see your favorite girls animated."

They didnt even animate my favorite ones.
*poutface

You know how Sunrise tried to make Valvrave the next Code Geass, but didn't go far enough? This is Sunrise trying to make a new Code Geass and going too far.

Sunrise stumbled upon Code Geass by happy accident. Im convinced of that.

Mature

PSA: If you ordered The Eccentric Family Premium Set and haven't received a tracking number or email from NISA, it's because their sorting facility is still trying to ship up out the remainder of the orders.

cajunator

Banned
I'm still dreaming too! One day they'll release those Utena BDs, one day...

I can't imagine them using the TV masters if they're taking the Aniplex approach. That would be disastrous. I'm impressed with the quick turnaround, though.

We are all dreaming of that day. It will come!

Will this break SHAFT's terrible show streak?

A streak that was not occurring?

Clov

PSA: If you ordered The Eccentric Family Premium Set and haven't received a tracking number or email from NISA, it's because their sorting facility is still trying to ship up out the remainder of the orders.

That's good to know. They've already charged my card, but I haven't gotten a shipping notice yet. Hopefully it happens soon.

On a similar note, I hate the exchange rate with the US dollar right now. It's terrible! I've had to stop ordering from RightStuf because of it. I'll probably make an exception for Koimonogatari though, since I loved that arc.

Clov

Here's something interesting for those of you who are watching that silly magical boy anime: PonyCan USA seems to have the home video rights for it. At least, it's listed on their site alongside Denki-Gai and Yuki Yuna, which they have the home video rights for. Take a look.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Puchimas!! - 54

hOu3a3C.png
VZIp0h2.png

Heihachi MIshima!! :O

OOOOOOOOOH MYYYYY GOD!!!! I pray that Lucky Chloe gets some iM@S costumes in T7 because this is too good to pass up!

Holy shit Harada-san, you're the man!

JCG

I really don't think it's fair to say that at all. 5 & 6 get a bad rap for being fanservicey when the core of those eps is Ledo finally integrating himself into Gargantia and her culture.

I didn't have such a big issue with the fanservice in episode 6, but I grew to appreciate the rest of 5 and its purpose the second time around. It's still got a lame joke though, probably the worst in all of Gargantia.

Sunrise stumbled upon Code Geass by happy accident. Im convinced of that.

Sunrise needs Goro for that to happen. But he's been a little too whimsical to repeat that all over again. To be honest, he always was.

Probably not much of an issue, but I guess it's a good thing that I had ordered it from Rightstuf.

cajunator

Banned

you just cant handle the mofu

Just finish Full Metal Panic! today. Love it so far. Pacing is fine and it's actually an easy to watch show to watch as they isn't too much crazy stuff to understand. Love the main characters in the story and have to chuckle a bit for the guy who basically don't have any idea of how to react to normal teen life.

Can't say any negative stuff....maybe some filler episode which I don't think it's needed but it's just there to bring out the other characters in the show. Love the 3 parts The Wind Blows At Home as you start to understand the past of the main character and also witness a very well written (even though it's been done already) story and also character development to the other characters who is just there to get kill. Not bad I have to say.

Overall, like the series and going to jump to Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid.

Wondering who here still love the show or hate it. Kinda want to see other people impression as mine is still fresh.

It is quite excellent. All of it. Initially I just watched Fumoffu since mecha wasnt my thing for a long time until Corvy showed me the error of my ways.

Just double check the wiki. You're right. Change of plan. Going to watch Fumoffu to follow the series then.

Fumoffu is a comedy show just so you know and not a continuation of the storyline. It aired second but TSR is the real second series. Fumoffu is merely Sousuke diversionary tactics.

Of course Markiplier liked it. Dude's videos are blah, but he's a cool guy.

Should have gotten Pewdiepie on board. Of course he probably already saw it.

And yeah, Dawson is a fuckhead.

PLEASE GOD NO

Narag

I didn't have such a big issue with the fanservice in episode 6, but I grew to appreciate the rest of 5 and its purpose the second time around. It's still got a lame joke though, probably the worst in all of Gargantia.

No arguments about that joke as it was really unnecessary.

cajunator

Banned
Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei - Yokohama Disturbance Part I

Okay this episode, THIS FUCKING EPISODE!

The praise for Onii-sama just went through the roof. These kids flat out having meetings after school to tell him how amazing he is.

Mysterious people from the shadows showing up out of nowhere begging him to do things for them because he's the only one who can do it.

Somehow all the episodes up until now they were able to hide it but now it's just gone full force with the praise. Despite all this to allow his opponent a last moment of happiness he allowed them to shoot him through to chest until he had enough and wiped them off the face of the Earth.

PRAISE ONII-SAMA!

What I loved about this show over Sao with Kirito is that it didnt take everything so damned seriously. You could tell the show was basically taking the piss the whole time and it was hugely entertaining for it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Aim for the Top! Gun buster 4-6

This is a difficult one to review for me. There's an undeniable brilliance in these last 3 episodes. As an action show, Gunbuster is among the top of the top. Some of these scenes are visual masterpieces. Add in the musical choices and you have some of the most memorable action scenes I've seen in a mecha anime.

On the story side, the show is incredibly ambitious. It's working with some amazing ideas. The use of relativity in the last two episodes is fascinating and is possibly one of the most creative uses of the idea I've seen in a sci-fi movie or show. The biggest problem for me, and perhaps this is sacrilege, but the cast really lets the show down. All these great, emotional ideas sort of fall flat because I just don't care about the characters. There's nothing there. It's not that they're bad, they're just boring. It's extremely frustrating, because if I actually liked the cast this would possibly be one of my favorite bits of sci-fi ever.

What's amazing, though, is that the final scene is really successful despite this problem. The build-up through the final episode really makes it land, despite me not caring about the characters involved. The brave choice to make the episode almost entirely in black and white brought this sort of melancholic tone that really made it worked. I absolutely adored the final episode from beginning to end because of this, but the final scene in particular is going to probably be one of my favorites of all time.

So, can I consider Gunbuster to be one of my all time favorites? For me, I think it just misses the mark. I really, really like the show. Evaluating it purely as an action show, it's almost perfect. Looking at the full picture, though, there's too much holding it back for me to really fall in complete love. As I said, the cast is bland and boring. The borderline bad first half isn't really paid off all that well by the second half. I see what others see in the show, but I can't be on the same page. It's definitely in my top 10 mech shows, but it misses the "best anime of all time" mark by a good distance.

Even though the characters are nothing special, the initial set up in the first few episodes (blah blah dezaki blah blah aim for the ace) worked more for me than it did for you, so it's too bad the final episodes didn't have quite the payoff you would've liked, but at least you still appreciated the one of the best endings ever.

Just finished Encouragement of Climb S2. What a wonderful SOL ride that was, probably my favorite since Non Non Biyori.

I'll write up more tomorrow but man each episode put a huge smile on my face and gave me the fuzzies. Just a lovely little show.

I know BEAR. Shaft makes a lot of shows, some great, some good, some mediocre but very few bad.

Dog Days was a mofu loveletter to all of us.

Oh nice its on Crunchyroll as well. Sawweeeet.

cajunator

Banned
So pumped to watch cowboy bebop for the first time

Man that must be quite an experience. I was just rewatching Jupiter Jazz, Toys in the Attic, and Bohemian Rhapsody. The episodic nature of the show makes it extremely approachable. All but a handful of episodes can be seen in any order and still make sense.
while I dont personally hold it up as the best thing anime can offer it is very competent in all areas of production and execution. My main gripe would be that each story seems a little rushed due to being one 25 minute episode. There are a few times the show allows a story to breathe and thats when it is at its best.

Ventara

KanColle Episode 1

Since a friend of a friend has read a ton of hentai about this, I figured I might as well find out what it's about with the anime. It was okay, I guess. Maybe I'm just not in the mood, but I couldn't get over how ridiculous the entire premise was. I mean, they're fighting "Abyssals" which is just a bunch of whales being controlled by a scantily clad girl in the middle of the ocean. And the only ones who can fight them are a group of girls who have the spirits of warships (wtf?) in them? Are they robots, or are they using magic? A single arrow turning into dozens of jet fighters? Fruit parfait for lunch? Not a single male in the show? Actually, I'm alright with the last one.

Anyways, I might give the show a watch once the whole thing finishes airing.

JCG

Even though the characters are nothing special, the initial set up in the first few episodes (blah blah dezaki blah blah aim for the ace) worked more for me than it did for you, so it's too bad the final episodes didn't have quite the payoff you would've liked, but at least you still appreciated the one of the best endings ever.

Gunbuster's ending has, in my opinion, the perfect balance of bittersweet that many other series struggle to reach but often tend to fall short of achieving in the process. It also informs my view that endings can -and should- have a lot of impact in either making, breaking or redeeming whatever came before in the eyes of an audience, beyond the limits of what a strictly critical analysis might reveal.

cajunator

Banned

yes. I love the hell out the GuP Ovas for all the infodumping. I love world building and learning about how all the odds and ends work. OVAs should mainly be used for this purpose.

KanColle 1

I got GuP vibes from the show especially the MC.

I dont want to compare the great Panzermoe to this poor imitator.

Thoraxes

Ah shit, I knew there was something I forgot to order that was coming out this month. I'll get on that.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just finish Full Metal Panic! today. Love it so far. Pacing is fine and it's actually an easy to watch show to watch as they isn't too much crazy stuff to understand. Love the main characters in the story and have to chuckle a bit for the guy who basically don't have any idea of how to react to normal teen life.

Can't say any negative stuff....maybe some filler episode which I don't think it's needed but it's just there to bring out the other characters in the show. Love the 3 parts The Wind Blows At Home as you start to understand the past of the main character and also witness a very well written (even though it's been done already) story and also character development to the other characters who is just there to get kill. Not bad I have to say.

Overall, like the series and going to jump to Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid.

Wondering who here still love the show or hate it. Kinda want to see other people impression as mine is still fresh.

I don't really like the first season of FMP, but Fumoffu is a bone-fide classic and the kind of anime I always like re-watching every now and then. It's just so damn fun to watch.

The Second Raid is well-made but it ultimately sacrifices the balance of humor and drama that the original FMP did for full-on drama, and the overall darkness of the storytelling can appear off-putting at times, but I thought it was good overall.

Planetes 7
9NZYiCK.jpg

:')

10/10 AOTY. I am absolutely loving the show, thanks for the recommendation guys. I'm especially loving how the world and situation isn't far fetched at all. It's the 'Moon' of anime and I love that movie.

Clov

I'm watching The Big O right now. Finished the first half today; loved it! Just started episode 14, and... I really don't like the look of the series anymore. It's a bit jarring going from cel-based animation to digital SD, and the latter looks noticeably uglier. Hopefully I'll still enjoy this next half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom