• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoru no Yatterman 01

ESUs7xO.jpg
Well that was a more depressing beginning than I was expecting out of the show. But I suppose it is there to give our characters a drive to actually change their lives now. I look forward to more.

JoeFu

Banned
Shaft Cooking Anime - whatever it's called

Watched it because it was SHAFT and it was full of SHAFT things. Will continue watching.

CDiggity

All this Silver Fang talk reminded me of my sister who watched it a few years ago and loved it...then proceeded to watch the sequel series and became super depressed because it kinda sucked according to her.

Yeah, although not knowing how things shape up, I can only assume he also learns to live his own life, regardless of whether or not he has access to his powers or not. I suppose it's not really clear what his situation is in his brief appearance in Hanamonogatari... but you'd think he'd come running over to help, considering that's just who he is anyway.
I guess deep down that's what he is ( confirmed by hanekawa & senjyou gahara in nekomonogatari white ) but i think that he had learned to let some things go .He will certainly help if asked , but seeing as now he embrace the "people can only save themselves" attitude that oshino meme had , he would let kanbara solve the things only she could solve.

Talking about Hanamonogatari, i remember Araragi have a reflection when he's cutting Kanbaru hair. So, i guess he manage to solve his vampirism issue?
I can answer that ..but that's like SPOILERS... curse you nishio !! to tell your story in out of order events !!!!

Dog Days is so bad even I won't watch it...all.
That's like your opinion ...
it's a wrong opinion but it's your opinion i guess.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G Episode 4 (engDub)

I love Chrono's personality. Too bad everyone treats him bad, which isnt his fault. If the girls hadnt blamed him for the volleyball which he didnt do then he wouldnt have had to apologize nor them. Also the girl commenting, loved the sounds the va made for that.

Good game, though Shion is a bit bleagh. Hopefully he improves once he's on the team, assuming they form one.

Ace of Diamond - 64

Miyuki better be best captain ever for leading these scrub, kinda hoping Kuramochi get the role but they went with logical route.. oh well.

The battle for Ace number is predictable, I'm more interested who gonna be their clean-up, their line-up on there looks massively downgraded now.

I wonder who is going to be able to replace some of the ones in the outfield since they were always pretty good with that. Haruicchi was already present and did somebit in one game but a few of the others :(

I hope Kawakami wont be overshadowed, he was such a promising and is such a promising player.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I can answer that ..but that's like SPOILERS... curse you nishio !! to tell your story in out of order events !!!!

Oh, guess i'll wait SHAFT adaptation then.

Death Parade/Seven Dart

Good reintroduction. The game is rigged and force the participant to think outside the box. So yeah, is void heaven or hell? The reincarnation is sign of not yet reaching enlightment in Shinto religion, so there's that.
Anyway, if they trully want to miss the shot, they could, you know, aim at the floor or something?
I can only assume that Machiko did not cheat, but try to protect his husband out of love.

santeesioux

Samurai Warriors OVA

Ugh, why did they have to make a Samurai Warriors show starring maybe the most boring, bland character in the game,Yukimura? Idk if i have any interest in watching the show because of that.

Maria the Virgin Witch - 01

Oh man, I seriously enjoyed this one. It's set in that Medieval/Feudalistic time period for Europe and it's able to successfully capture the 'feeling' of that world. Lush forested environments leading to cottages in the woods complimented with a vaguely Irish/Celtic score and punctuated with good ol' fashion knights in full suits of armor. I liked that it explored the 'draft' of that time period as poor farmer types are handed a spear and thrust into battle as well, really exposed the human element of these large scale battles.

Maria definitely stole the show though, a seriously like-able main character. From the way she initially tried to make herself out to be the stereotypical notion of an old withered and wise witch to the way she ended up reacting to having her hand kissed was just the cutest thing. The banter between Artemis and Maria never failed to put a smile on my face either. At this point this is my favorite first episode of the newly airing shows of the season.

Kansoku

Parasite 13

That was unbelievable shitty

Shirobako 13

New OP and ED are nice. Tarou sucks.

Death Parade 1

I read some of the posts here and I don't know, to me it was very clear that:
The bartender was the one who decided their fate, and the game sole purpose was to bring their feelings and secrets to surface, so the guy can decide their fate. The wife obviously cheated and that's why she ended up in void.

Anyway, best OP ever.

Koufuku Graffiti 1

So cute. The sexy eating is a little bit out of place tho. Made me hungry 11/10 would watch again.

Aldnoah.Zero 13

Things to note:
  • Slaine is so incompetent that
    the people he kills stay alive
  • I thought it would've been nice if Inaho got a cyborg personality a la Robocop, but then i remembered he never had any personality to begin with
  • WOOP WOOP PULL OVER THAT ASS WAS FAT

Durarara!!x2 1

I didn't see that coming.

Rolling Girls 1

I had fun. That fight was amazing.

===

Anyway, I'm finishing my Digimon series review, it's the first time I did something more in depth (still not too much in depth) so it's pretty big, and I'll need two posts for it. Please be excited.

Narag

OP seems to be 11/11 in picking good shows. Thank god whoever made it left Kancolle and DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR2 off of it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't know man, imagine if the HMS Belfast had a tail and cat ears.

Seiken Tsukai no World Break - 01

Holy shit this was so bad. I had to force myself to finish it.
Good parts: Principal, MC's fabulous hair stripe
Bad parts: Everything. Else.
This makes me kinda curious how bad this actually can get. But do I dare venture further down the road?

This makes me kinda curious how bad this actually can get. But do I dare venture further down the road?
Holy shit those clips this shit looks silly as hell. I was seconds away from watching this too.

Anime is dead.

The second clip, no one can possibly find that funny and/or arousing, right? In reality, I suppose, the mainstream anime audience prefers this kind of shit to actual quality shows q.q

Maria the Virgin Witch 1

Fantastic first episode. Easily the strongest start of any show this season. They've done a great job capturing the themes of the manga while elaborating on the setting and really making the world come alive. Delving more into the soldiers who are drafted in the war was a great choice. Can't wait for the next episode.

santeesioux

Is that ova necessary for the show, didnt really feel like check it out if theis 49 minute thing was needed for it

It's about a separate battle that takes place like ten years before where the show starts. It introduces you to some of the characters, but if you have played any of the Koei games in the past you will know who they all are anyway so you'll be fine.

X0MBQSZ.jpg

So uh yeah I am honestly not sure what to say. I'll just rattle of a bunch of things trying to process it I guess.

The setting isn't all that clever but surprising that they picked it. It's some some galaxy far far away and possibly long long ago. That just went through a 100 years of war between two opposing sides. So you have all the horrible shit associated it with it. The main character is a Gundam style child soldier presumably because both sides were running low on able bodies to fight this thing. By the start of the series he is 18 years, formerly from a special forces unit, and murders more people in 1 episode than Amuro does half way through MSG probably.

Oh and all of that is taken for granted, that's just the setting and you get like a minute of exposition on it at the start of the episode. That's not even what the show is about, the war's over. However after 3 episodes all I'd be able to tell is it's about Chirico getting hosed over and possibly dealing with his fucked up PTSD riddled non existent childhood or how he spent most of it murdering other people.

This show is too damn dense though. That conversation on the radio at the start of episode 1 between Rochina and a general? Who the hell are they? Well you get to find out about them later in the episode since Rochina is the one who ends up interrogating Chirico, but you get introduced to his character before you even see his face. Why were they attacking that asteroid, just to steal the gold? What about that naked woman? Clearly she is important since she shows up in the opening and ending. Chirico was getting interrogated because he lied about seeing her.

So anyway, first three episodes world building, character introduction, and a bit of development. Hell you only get like two robot action scenes at most out 3 episodes, in a mecha show! Crazy!

Quasar

Shaft Cooking Anime - whatever it's called

Watched it because it was SHAFT and it was full of SHAFT things. Will continue watching.

I was a bit surprised it wasn't more shafty. Wheres the head tilts? It felt so normal for a shaft anime.

Maria the Virgin Witch - 01

1/3 fanservice
1/3 very nice realistic medieval warfare
1/3 petit-moe-witch who really really wants to stop a war

It was somewhat interesting enough to continue for now, the direction was also strong given the material, but I will have to wait a few eps to judge properly. Like... what's this is going to be about? Romance? Slice of life? Is an antagonist witch going to appear that want to provoke the war while our heroine tries to stop it? etc

Happy Birthday BGBW!

Strike Witches Movie

I'll be honest, while this was all right, it felt more like a pilot to a 3rd season than a movie, to be honest.

Like, I was expecting some grand finale to finally end the Neuroi threat on Earth, but instead I essentially got a 1 hour episode. Which wasn't necessairly bad, per say. I really liked the scene where
Miyafuji has to lure a Neuroi away from a village and destroy it entirely without magic.

But really though. When Season 3 does come (as I've heard that one is apparently in development), I really hope that it gives the Neuroi more of an identity as villains and not just brainless laser-shooting geometrical cg shapes.

Kyuur

Maria the Virgin Witch - 1

Surprisingly good. I was going to write it off due to the PVs but the setting was sort of refreshing, the fan service actually had purpose and the characters were likeable. The realistic combat was a nice touch too. Will continue.

Yoru no Yatterman - 1

Weird. Had decent animation (someone at the studio is really good at dust clouds). I'll watch at least a bit more to see where it goes.

Mister Hosanna no Question: Have you watched Dog Days? S2?

Yes, I watched the first season of Dog Days until I stalled out midway through. I enjoyed it at first due to its light-hearted nature, but the generic nature of the characters and situations soon began to tire me. I wish it had done more with the dog/cat thing too; there were maybe one or two moments I noticed where the dog and cat-people acted like their respective animals, but mostly they just acted like people with funny ears and tails. That was disappointing.

Narag

X0MBQSZ.jpg

This show is too damn dense though. That conversation on the radio at the start of episode 1 between Rochina and a general? Who the hell are they? Well you get to find out about them later in the episode since Rochina is the one who ends up interrogating Chirico, but you get introduced to his character before you even see his face. Why were they attacking that asteroid, just to steal the gold? What about that naked woman? Clearly she is important since she shows up in the opening and ending. Chirico was getting interrogated because he lied about seeing her.

While I hate to compare Tomino to Takahashi, that first half of the first episode feels very Tomino. I suppose a recent parallel would be how G. Reco opens where you get all this info thrown at you and the show doesn't really look back, expecting the viewer to keep up on their own and piece elements together as needed. The gold is a great example as its meant to place value on the coffin although that's not really apparent at first glance in that they stumbled across that wealth before making it a point to acknowledge that they still had to find what they were actually looking for.

Glad you mentioned the PTSD thing too as I wasn't really cognizant of what PTSD entailed the first time I watched it. It's going to be interesting going forward after seeing how afflicted Chirico is in those introduction episodes, particularly the end of both episodes 2 & 3 where Chirico finds solace in the abandoned AT and where he realizes he's trapped in the battlefield once again respectively.

Yes, I watched the first season of Dog Days until I stalled out midway through. I enjoyed it at first due to its light-hearted nature, but the generic nature of the characters and situations soon began to tire me. I wish it had done more with the dog/cat thing too; there were maybe one or two moments I noticed where the dog and cat-people acted like their respective animals, but mostly they just acted like people with funny ears and tails. That was disappointing.

That sort of sounds like what S2 is.

Mature

Maria - 1
Eh, I dunno. Not really feeling the premise at all. I'll stick around to see where this goes, but as it is now i'm not very excited about its direction. The
dragon
was pretty cool though.

Yoru no Yatterman - 1
This was pretty good! Felt very first episode-y as far as setting up the characters to match the plot description. The animation was stellar. The exaggerated way of portraying minor character movements allows the cartoony nature of the characters to come to life without making their actual gestures chaotic. I can already tell that this show will live on how they balance the drama and comedy. The way they depict Yatterman 1 and 2 in this episode as well as the OP(?) is really nice. High hopes for this one.

Theonik

That sort of sounds like what S2 is.
Yeah! S2 kinda fixes a lot of the issues of S1!

I would offer a bet but I already have to finish the second half of Mushishi for MrJeff and Aikatsu for Madp.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Junketsu no Maria Episode 1:

Well, it has some semblance of a personality but is still pretty dull and bland overall, maybe I give this a couple more episodes, maybe I do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom