• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The book doesn't exist. It's a hypothetical example; he's saying that it's like the kind of story that Edgar Allan Poe would write, where people switch places etc.

It's worth noting that the exact phrase used in the Japanese for "the switched man" turns up in an online synopsis of Stonehearst Asylum, a fairly unnoteworthy film adaptation of one of Poe's stories.
Wow I had spent a few minutes searching trying to find it to read even.

phaze

Kare Kano 19
po3rxswe.jpg
po66rslt.jpg
prijbzcd.jpg
po5dgsqb.jpg

As if Diebuster wasn't enough proof that Tsurumaki > Anno.

It's more likely it's because it was storyboarded by Imaishi, who along with Tsurumaki seems to have done those for most of the good episodes in the first half but whatever.

Trapeze 07
The resolution to illness was lowkey and not show's best but the comedy part was great as the fear of edges translated very well into a wide array jokes.

Naruto Shippuden 449
014520drqel.jpg
014524swpy0.jpg

Time hasn't been kind to poor Hidan.

Ghost Itachi came back to life.

Sakura had yet another "caught up to you" moment followed by "I'll stay back and heal people."

Pierrot kinda spoiled the events of canon by having
Sasuke pull exactly the same thing as in manga after the not so final battle.

tuffy

Steins Gate ep.20
Fuck,
Mr. Braun too?
This is too much maddness and pain for Okabe. The worst part is that he just realized what it means if he brings everything back to the original timeline.
no, not Assistant now too!
His life is suffering, total undeniable suffering.
Realizing the direction events are going now - as established at the beginning of the first episode - is where the show really gets into high gear. But there's too many episodes left to just give up and end on a downer, so how is Okabe going to thread that needle and save the day? You'll soon find out.

And there will be more suffering.

Kare Kano 19

As if Diebuster wasn't enough proof that Tsurumaki > Anno.

It's more likely it's because it was storyboarded by Imaishi, who along with Tsurumaki seems to have done those for most of the good episodes in the first half but whatever.

Trapeze 07

The resolution to illness was lowkey and not show's best but the comedy part was great as the fear of edges translated very well into a wide array jokes.

Naruto Shippuden 449

Ghost Itachi came back to life.

Sakura had yet another "caught up to you" moment followed by "I'll stay back and heal people."

Pierrot kinda spoiled the events of canon by having
Sasuke pull exactly the same thing as in manga after the not so final battle.

Im still impressed sasori was able to kill those kage

From twitter:

Pretty cool.

That's neat, I'll probably watch it if I have the time, haven't really followed those awards lol.

Hope my boy Daisuke Ono sweeps, and Sawashiro

Marshmallow 7

Didn't really expect the show to take this route, I guess it's a nice way to come up with more episodes.

Mr. Nietzsche in the Convenience Store Episode 5

Who wouldnt want Nii-kun to do that to you and his personality lol.

The new kid is funny too even if a bit too gullible with stuff.

I think my favorite for this episode was the opening one when he was being trained on how to serve the the food and the one training him was saying employees can taste stuff, though he was giving excuses to how he can end up making it into a full serving bowl lol.

BluWacky

I recently picked up the UK Bluray release of Gankutsuou, which I don't think has made it out in the States as yet. Rather embarrassingly I still had my imported DVD copy on the shelf in its shrink wrap; I have yet to rewatch it 12 years or so after originally doing so, but there are a few series where I'm happy to rebuy them to support the fact that they were ever made in the first place.

It comes in a nice steelbook, with the show spread across four discs.

I can't really comment massively on whether it's a good transfer or not - my understanding is that the original Japanese release was a very poor upscale, and I don't know whether my impressions of it are clouded by that, but it certainly doesn't seem to have benefitted massively from the upscaling. With that said, it's a relatively "old" digital show with deliberately "loose" character designs that don't benefit from sharpening up in many ways. Certain parts look lovely - the opening party sequence, for instance, in episode 1 - but the opera sequence later on looks rather fuzzy.

I was most entertained by the fact that it defaults to the (rather good) French dub, as I presume this is merely a repressing of a French release but with BBFC labels. I would have liked to have been able to select English subtitles independently of the Japanese track as a result but that doesn't seem to be possible, although I watch anime on BD so infrequently that I don't know whether it's just locked out on a PS4 or if there's another reason I can't select it.

tuffy

I was most entertained by the fact that it defaults to the (rather good) French dub, as I presume this is merely a repressing of a French release but with BBFC labels. I would have liked to have been able to select English subtitles independently of the Japanese track as a result but that doesn't seem to be possible, although I watch anime on BD so infrequently that I don't know whether it's just locked out on a PS4 or if there's another reason I can't select it.
Subtitles which are locked to the Japanese track are sometimes imposed by the licensor as a measure to deter reverse-importation. So it's probably not your player at fault.

Divine Gate Episode 7

I think this show just killed off like 80% of its cast. Even a little girl.

But it's debatable because most of them were suffering from generic anime wounds.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 103

I would've liked to see some personal bonding between Yusuke and Raizen before the final clash. It may not be that fit to at least Raizen's nature now that I think about it, but it would've been a fitting proving point to his ideology.
Can't say I fully buy Raizen's reason for the hunger either. The 'courting' also doesn't have much sanity behind it to me, but I guess that bitch be crazy. I appreciate that it at least tried to explain, but I feel it was a bit less than was needed.

The fade transition of the backstory to the present, in showing Raizen change with the flowers I thought was a nice touch, perhaps a bit too on the nose though.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 11

Alright, you guys were right. JoJo got better after the battle against Tarkus and Bruford, which seemed to drag on almost before it started. Started the new arc or second half and Joseph Joestar sure makes for an entertaining new MC. Kinda weird watching Gintama on the side as well and having a Gintoki JoJo but it's fitting to the character.

Qurupeke

Alright, you guys were right. JoJo got better after the battle against Tarkus and Bruford, which seemed to drag on almost before it started. Started the new arc or second half and Joseph Joestar sure makes for an entertaining new MC. Kinda weird watching Gintama on the side as well and having a Gintoki JoJo but it's fitting to the character.

Yeah, Joseph is the best Joestar, no contest. And enjoy the ride that Battle Tendency is.

brawly

You're in for a ride now, everything from here on is amazing.

Cornbread78

Bakemonogatari 12
This was an iconic episode in the series. I enjoyed the conversations, perspectives, humor and even the animation though little in the episode was impressive.
Araragi's little conversation with her father was heartwarming in a way and sort of memorable considering that is the only time he appears in the series.

Without a question, episode 12 of Bake is probably one of my favorite overall episodes in all of anime. The story direction, the tone, the visuals, the ambiance and music are amazing and make this scene unforgettable, even after the scene, it rolls into one of the best EDs out there for music perfectly.... It's so good, I just had to watch it again just to take it all in; it's easy to see when Senjougahara is the best...

https://youtu.be/GBRA7kWingA

Chindogg

Bakemonogatari 12

This was an iconic episode in the series. I enjoyed the conversations, perspectives, humor and even the animation though little in the episode was impressive.

Araragi's little conversation with her father was heartwarming in a way and sort of memorable considering that is the only time he appears in the series.

This episode makes the entire series worthwhile. Then second season happens and rips every happy moment from this one episode out from your heart and shatters it into a million pieces.

JulianImp

SNAFU S2 - up to the first half of #6
Nice all around. I like how the show's taking advantage of the groundwork it laid out throughout the first season, further exploring characters that weren't all that interesting before while also tying their plot threads to Hachiman's.

Still, that old classmate of his that he had confessed to once and her friend were getting so annoying, I really liked it when ikemen-kun put them in their place for always sucking up to him while trating his friend like crap.

Also, ep6's off to a really nice start with Komachi and Hachiman discussing things, and it was nice to see her take advantage of her brother's reluctance to help himself but eagerness to help others by making a request for her brother's sake but phrasing it like she was the one who would benefit from it.

Erased #7
The past really works much better than the present IMO and it's really obvious Kenya's kind of fishy (even more than back when he was shown talking with the teacher behind Satoru's back), but I just can't stand these cliched cliffhanger endings that happen every single episode... like, I'm already looking forward to the next episode because this is a mystery series in the first place, so piling cliffhangers on top of that is kind of overkill.

Rakugo #6
Still AOTS by a landslide. Kikuhiko's journey to find a performance he could call his own was really well handled, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of this show. Here's to hoping it does well and gets a second season, since it's definitely one of the best new series I've seen in quite a while.

Bakemonogatari 12

That reminds me I should continue my rewatch someday, but there's always something new to see so I very rarely go back to shows I've already seen.

I don't remember all that much about that episode now, but I think I really liked how they quoted part of the ED lyrics in it, since that kind of nudge helped make the song even more memorable for me.

Yeah, Jonathan was a rather boring protagonist for me compared to Joseph, but then I also do agree with some people that part 3, while having a worse protagonist in Jotaro, actually managed to make JoJo's comrades more relevant than in previous seasons.

Still, that old classmate of his that he had confessed to once and her friend were getting so annoying, I really liked it when ikemen-kun put them in their place for always sucking up to him while trating his friend like crap.

My jaw legit dropped when he fucking called them out. Ikemen dude gets some small and sharp development from very little things this season and it turns him into a fascinating character. His whole conversation with Hachiman during that cafe trip was letting slip some really heavy shit about himself and made his relationship with Hachiman much more complex as to why he can't stand him so much. It's also extremely telling how he reacts to, interacts with and generally feels about Yukino's sister, someone who is universally praised, well regarded and loved. Dude went from that always smiling jocky dude in season 1 who I kinda hated to being one of my favorite characters ever since he gets mad at Hachiman at the end of Season 1. He's just such a subtle and interesting guy. There's some real dark shit going on under his layers of friendliness and everyone getting along.

Rrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh you're making me wanna rewatch the whole show again.

Edit: Ignoring also the development concerning the fujoshi girl being a lot fucking smarter than she lets on, how she is controlling the flow of their friend group and how she absolutely loathes herself and doesn't feel she is deserving of anyone liking her. I find it so incredibly telling that she can only really be honest with Hachiman and her interactions with him from then on have an added weight to them they never did before.

blurr

honestly jealous of JulianImp for experiencing SNAFU S2 for the first time :<

Too much happened in that show, I'm gonna need to rewatch anyways.

honestly jealous of JulianImp for experiencing SNAFU S2 for the first time :<

Too much happened in that show, I'm gonna need to rewatch anyways.

It was like that for me and watching Duckroll watch Trapeze for the first time.

I often don't find things in media that affect me on some great, life-shaking level. When people say "This movie changed my life" or "This manga made me think about everything in a new way" I could never really relate. Then I watched Trapeze and it was pretty much the impetus for me to go to a psychologist and try to stop hating myself.

I really think Trapeze is something incredibly special.

blurr

It was like that for me and watching Duckroll watch Trapeze for the first time.

I often don't find things in media that affect me on some great, life-shaking level. When people say "This movie changed my life" or "This manga made me think about everything in a new way" I could never really relate. Then I watched Trapeze and it was pretty much the impetus for me to go to a psychologist and try to stop hating myself.

I really think Trapeze is something incredibly special.

For me Great Teacher Onizuka was such a show.

JulianImp

Yeah, I like how SNAFU has every single character live out his/her life by coming up with a mask to cover their innermost fear and anxiety and playing alongside what society expects of them. Hachiman's a very interesting character because his non-conformism and how he doesn't give a damn about what others think of him has placed him into the role of the shunned villain-esque guy in his class: he keeps trying to help people while making himself into enough of an asshole to make them unable to uncover his real intentions of wanting to reach out to people and help them, but at the same time wanting to distance himself out of the fear of getting hurt again, which is a foolish way to see things because it ignores the simple fact that people around Hachiman might not want him to be hurt and bear such a burden.

blurr

Yeah, I like how SNAFU has every single character live out his/her life by coming up with a mask to cover their innermost fear and anxiety and playing alongside what society expects of them. Hachiman's a very interesting character because his non-conformism and how he doesn't give a damn about what others think of him has placed him into the role of the shunned villain-esque guy in his class: he keeps trying to help people while making himself into enough of an asshole to make them unable to uncover his real intentions of wanting to reach out to people and help them, but at the same time wanting to distance himself out of the fear of getting hurt again, which is a foolish way to see things because it ignores the simple fact that people around Hachiman might not want him to be hurt and bear such a burden.

stahp it Julian, I'm only reminded of the events in the later part of the show as I read this; oh man

Yep. That comment from his teacher at the end of Season 1 hit pretty fucking hard.

Cornbread78

You need to finish S2, so we can get into deep discussions about this again. Your almost there, it seems innocent on the outside, but there is a lot of deep and psychological forces at work with the series. It's really REALLY good that way.

Yep. That comment from his teacher at the end of Season 1 hit pretty fucking hard.

Sensei was great. He hasn't even gotten to the best Sensei moment yet. I'm all-in for the "Sensei ending" that this series should get.

As someone who fucking loathes Haruno, I once read a detailed analysis on why she's such an irredeemable bitch and it made me see her in a new light. The show really does put in work on all of it's characters.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I must be imagining things. As I was scrolling down the page I could have sworn I saw a depiction of a grown man kissing a young boy smack of the lips.

Surely not.

Cornbread78

The Nisekoi manga seems to be entering the ending phase. 3 ships have sank, and one is currently sinking.

Thank god.

Just waiting for the final 3rd season to be animated, so we can see it in all it's glory. It should be a bloodbath between Chitage and Onodera to the end I'm sure. Those are the natural two ships for his and the others are all just diversions between the real battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom