• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

Assassination Classroom S2 - 7

So we're already upto
The Reaper
and the manga is confirmed to be ending next month. Guess they'll try to squeeze everything into this last season then in which case I'll bail out of the manga now.

Enjoyed this arc in the manga but low on the laughs. Though I was really hoping after Erased
I wasn't going to end on another cliffhanger, even if I know what happens :p

Treme is the best music anime.

It's like euphonium only it relates to me

and has the Bunk blowing on brass instruments
7nrA3kZ.jpg

e_i

Love Live season 2 PE is out of print, so once the stores sell out, they're out of print. So, get one now if you want one.

Mind giving any explanation to how this worse even as close to as bad as ep 5 or nah

Episode 5 was a welcome change of pace that showed some actual effects of Satoru's time nonsense.

But really, 7 isn't the worst episode (I'd probably say 4 was), but it did have some wonky pacing which is a symptom of a bigger problem with the highs and lows of the series itself. The prevention period is supposed to be over, as are the boring interactions between Kayo and Satoru. The excitement should return next episode and continue until the end, but this one dwelled on things that just weren't important. I will say that it was nice to see a full chapter covered in the first 6 minutes, but the rest was a chore to get through just as it was for me in the manga. Steins;gate showed how to balance time-hopping downtime with its tone and presentation, but here it's wildly inconsistent and if I didn't know what happens, I'd say it's dangerously close to falling into a looping status quo.

Aki-at

Kenya is the time cop trying the solve the mystery from the year 2026.

That would be such a cop out (of time)

Kenya is one of the good parts. The interactions between him and Satoru are probably the most compelling in the past.

It's been my favourite thing about the series so far, personally I wouldn't mind watching more interaction between these two rather than Satoru and Hinazaki.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 011

Cbi5JaUVIAA-cpz.jpg:large

(LAUGH TRACK)

It may be the far-flung future, but but the nobility sure do love getting into some Shakespearean court drama and pettiness. Including attempted suicide and of course everyone's favorite - ironic death. Not by suicide, but they offered anyway.

My twist radar is telling me that Kenya is the killer or is involved in the crimes.

The episode provided more evidence for my Kenya theory.
A) Kenya has feelings for Satoru and is jealous of the relationship he is potentially getting in with her, and therefore launches into a plot to kill her off, which leads to B) time traveller Kenya is still in love with Satoru but has failed to be able to confess in the present day, he is now in the past to prevent Satoru from changing the future.

A is litrally the synopsis of episode 7.

Cornbread78

I think DTL is on to something. People should seriously pay attention to his sharp insight.

Super Lovers doesn't air until the spring season though.

Steins Gate ep.20
Fuck,
Mr. Braun too?
This is too much maddness and pain for Okabe. The worst part is that he just realized what it means if he brings everything back to the original timeline.
no, not Assistant now too!
His life is suffering, total undeniable suffering.

Erased 7

I've been a fan of the VA this whole time, but that opening scene of him screaming was kind of awkward because the character's face did not match how loud the volume was. Don't know if it was an issue with the sound mixing or the VA, but it was awkward almost like people doing flash videos and pretending to scream, but not wanting to wake up people in the house so do they do that weird whisper scream lol.

As others said, episode was a def a return to form which only highlights just how many issues the
present timeline
has. The drama in that feels forced or the police are just incompetent beyond belief, but someone made it seem like that's the norm in Japan. At least in the US we'd have like lawyers I guess. Or CSI good cop good cop.

Nice to see the differences in
the timeline
but I hope there's more to Kenya besides "aight dawg" because he played along WAY too easily and
believes Satoru like if he had a superpower
. Wanting to be a hero doesn't translate with just how much knowledge
Satoru has and the way he's phrasing shit unless Kenya already suspects he's a time traveler
. Maybe this is where that chat he had with
plays along

Also I'd like to either fire the director or whoever makes the decisions for this baity/cliche as fuck mystery scenes at the end of many episodes. It's doing a disservice to the show to have that clickbait shit lol

Just T

Erased: 7

Pretty good episode.
Satoru and Kenya had some nice interactions but Kenya is still very suspicious. He still just seems a bit too perceptive for his age and it seems weird that he approached Satoru this time when nothing really changed from the previous time at that point. The Yuuki scene was a bit much tbh. Its great how determined Satoru is to get things right this time but thinking about taking Kayo’s mother out was a bit surprising, he’s really desperate this time. Setting up the bus for Kayo was a nice scene then checking on her then that cliffhanger came. Hopefully it’s not as bad as it looks.

Ojisan to Marshmallow: 7

Was wondering when that girl was going to show up. She can leave, didn’t care for her much but Wakabayashi outsmarting her should be fun to watch.

Garakowa

Interesting, albeit messy movie. The script is somewhat weak, the character designs and art direction are mediocre, and Ishihama indulges in fades to black and quick layered panning way too much. (Seriously, I got queasy looking at some of those pans.) But there's a lot of interesting visual ideas here as well, and in the more horror-based segments some really great visual direction. Ishihama reminds me of Yamauchi a bit, though probably better, in that he has a great sense of style but not always the greatest sense of cohesiveness. Hopefully whatever he directs next has strong enough material to bring out the best in him.

Active Raid 7
rOIhVtH.jpg

It's like if Rail Wars was actually about trains.
That fucking ending though. LOGOS and the political conspiracy subplots are getting a bit more important now, but I'm hoping it doesn't go too serious.

Didn't expect the OP to get updated visuals though. Pretty damn excited for when both bosses get in their Willwears. And why is pickpocket girl in it?

blurr

Bakemonogatari 1-11

I am glad I have decided to rewatch it after 2 years I guess, I've noticed a significant amount of depth in the narrative and humor still stands strong. I did not pick a new show after Maria the Virgin Witch because I wanted to finish this rewatch. Maybe I should also start Nisemonogatari after this (in complete privacy).

I liked Hitagi and Sengoku's arc the most. The odd supernatural stories reflect many other real issues. Something I haven't noticed at all in my first viewing.

Konosuba novels getting a crazy anime boost. Around the time the anime was announced (late May 2015) Kadokawa announced the series had sold 400,000 lifetime copies; in the last year that number has now tripled to 1,500,000.

https://twitter.com/kadokawasneaker/status/700542196290707456

Not really surprising, first of all it's great show, and then it's also already most famous LN adaption in this season before anime start airing(yeah you may ask "why Kadokawa make it only 10 episodes?", well, Kadokawa's logic is hard to understand, there are also many Kadokawa LNs sold 10k+ BD/DVD but still didn't get s2, like Maou-sama).

Mailbox

Not really surprising, first of all it's great show, and then it's also already most famous LN adaption in this season before anime start airing(yeah you may ask "why Kadokawa make it only 10 episodes?", well, Kadokawa's logic is hard to understand, there are also many Kadokawa LNs sold 10k+ BD/DVD but still didn't get s2, like Maou-sama).

GOD, don't remind me. T_T

Didn't know Konosuba was supposed to be 10 episode (you sure it isn't 11?)
That's some bs. :mad:

Diodiablo

Banned
Konosuba novels getting a crazy anime boost. Around the time the anime was announced (late May 2015) Kadokawa announced the series had sold 400,000 lifetime copies; in the last year that number has now tripled to 1,500,000.

https://twitter.com/kadokawasneaker/status/700542196290707456

Not a surprise, mainly Konosuba has one big problem, it's a teen rpg alternative world story with harem elements. The market is overcrowded with those, I skipped the manga for the same reason, it looked exactly like many others. With an anime showing its strengths (mainly being funny as hell) it becomes more accessible.

Articalys

Why's everybody mentioning the LN sales boost is "not surprising"? I never said it was "surprising", I was just sharing the details of the series' success for people who aren't following the LN market.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Why's everybody mentioning the LN sales boost is "not surprising"? I never said it was "surprising", I was just sharing the details of the series' success for people who aren't following the LN market.
Thanks for sharing another nice find. I appreciate your work.

BluWacky

What book?

KveCm4Ll.png

The book doesn't exist. It's a hypothetical example; he's saying that it's like the kind of story that Edgar Allan Poe would write, where people switch places etc.

It's worth noting that the exact phrase used in the Japanese for "the switched man" turns up in an online synopsis of Stonehearst Asylum, a fairly unnoteworthy film adaptation of one of Poe's stories.

Cornbread78

Not a surprise, mainly Konosuba has one big problem, it's a teen rpg alternative world story with harem elements. The market is overcrowded with those, I skipped the manga for the same reason, it looked exactly like many others. With an anime showing its strengths (mainly being funny as hell) it becomes more accessible.

I can't wait for the harem stuff to start, 1 episode for each awkward moment with each girl maybe? Could be fun, it mean, the MAL tag did say romance. We have the must do it once a day girl, the girl that likes it rough and the exhibitionist that excels at party tricks; Could be awesome...

Maybe I should pick KonoSuba :X

You should watch it!

phaze

Thanks for sharing another nice find. I appreciate your work.

Steins Gate ep.20
Fuck,
Mr. Braun too?
This is too much maddness and pain for Okabe. The worst part is that he just realized what it means if he brings everything back to the original timeline.
no, not Assistant now too!
His life is suffering, total undeniable suffering.
Okabe was a grade A idiot for not realising the fact that was, obviously apparent to anyone with a brain, from the very beginning.

Erased 7

Anime is dead.
014525sfs5f.jpg

Good for you.
This episode felt weirdly rushed, part of that is undoubtedly the fact that they had to speed through events already covered but even then I don't feel it was handled very well. Then there was some really weird dialogue, character interactions and moments that rubbed me the wrong way; Satoru's scream, Yuuki's giant overreaction to Satoru's question (there can still be some context to that I guess), Kenya's complete acceptance of Satoru's behaviour (oh you just tried to kill a person ? cool ) or the complete skipping of the reasoning Satoru gave to Kayo to convince her to just skip school and home (another part why it felt rushed ) Did he tell her she was going to get offed or something ? You don't just run away from home and knowingly involve police without a strong reason. And how does Satoru know it's his final revival ? In all of that, the episode was devoid of the tension, I guess the stairs scene had some but I was to busy finding that whole scenario ridiculous to notice. Overall pretty meh. By no means the end of the world and I think/hope it will recover neatly since we're in new territory now but it was the episode I enjoyed the least so far.

bobawesome

Received my Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex blu-ray sets from Kimchidvd the other day and I have to say...whoa. They certainly leave a good first impression in still shots but once you get a hold of them yourself you notice how fragile and...cheap...it all feels. Even the huge-ass art boxes, which look like they should be pretty sturdy, have more give than you'd think. Four of the fourteen cases arrived damaged and if you look at the artwork from more than an arm's length away you can see just how insanely low quality and blurry the images are. The amaray cases don't even have enough room for the covers so one end is constantly poking out. Certainly not an issue with higher quality cases. I feel like a bit of a fool for dropping $230 on these sets. I should've listened to my gut and carried on collecting the Ghibli silhouettes.

Oh well... My Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Utamonogatari sets are arriving Saturday to make it all better. So insanely glad the former is releasing a month earlier than scheduled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom