• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently crunchyroll laid off most of their core staff?

https://twitter.com/danikaharrod/status/821881688821272577

(Danika used to work there and has friends there)

Anyone have any idea what's going on there? Are they restructuring or something? I can't find any other concrete info anywhere.

Daaaaammmnnn

FUNimation buy over pending?

Oh god, I hope that wouldn't mean whoever bunged up the Funimation Roku App is going to do the same to Crunchyroll's....

Cornbread78

RahXephon ep.15
This some weird background story info on the soon the be outed antagonist of everything. It was weird and still doesn't answer any question about the worlds, the inhabitantsb
unless they are all made od clay
or anything else. On to the next.

Izayoi

Banned
The Drifters OP is seriously great.

I feel like we've been spoiled of late with all of these great OP/EDs... Mob Psycho was another recent standout to me.

Quasar

It makes it sound like it's the editorial side... and I guess I don't read any anime news, but I assume that side of the site doesn't do as well as the streaming side.

Maybe it is just the news site. Its one of my anime feeds to I'd be a bit sad, and I find it interesting because a lot of the more interesting stuff is columns from freelancers like Nick Creamer.

Rainy

Banned
RahXephon 7

pEteD6J.png

Pretty interesting episode. Ayato has gotten out of a few tight situations now, eventually has to catch up to him right :p

Clov

FUNimation buy over pending?

They have been getting closer lately, with Funimation's deal to distribute Crunchyroll's home media releases and to share some of their streaming library. I wonder if they're working on some sort of merger or buyout, and that's why Crunchyroll's BD titles haven't come out yet? I'm curious as to what's going on with those; it's been a while, but none of them have come out yet.

Anyone have any idea what's going on there? Are they restructuring or something? I can't find any other concrete info anywhere.

The hell? Crunchyroll is awesome. I wanted to see them take over everyone else. Their app and services work better than all their other competitors If this is them making moves to be acquired, I am super concerned about the future use of Crunchyroll.

Edit: Our Funimation app acts up all the time, while our Crunchyroll app works flawlessly. Don't take it away!

I feel like we've been spoiled of late with all of these great OP/EDs... Mob Psycho was another recent standout to me.

The Drifters OP is fantastic, definitely one of the highlights of the year. Love all the visuals in it. The ED too is pretty great!

Izayoi

Banned
In my experience, the Crunchyroll app has been fucking terrible... Incredibly inconsistent and rife with connection errors... Hulu and Netflix ALWAYS run better for me. Maybe not fair to Crunchyroll given their relative size, but...

The Drifters OP is fantastic, definitely one of the highlights of the year. Love all the visuals in it. The ED too is pretty great!
I thought the ED really fell flat in comparison. Forgettable IMO.

Death Parade and Overlord were some other OPs I found myself really enjoying recently.

I also really liked Yuri on Ice's ED.

The hell? Crunchyroll is awesome. I wanted to see them take over everyone else. Their app and services work better than all their other competitors If this is them making moves to be acquired, I am super concerned about the future use of Crunchyroll.

Edit: Our Funimation app acts up all the time, while our Crunchyroll app works flawlessly. Don't take it away!

Why would anyone want a one streaming service only future and world?

I wish we had alternatives since crunchyroll has clear downtime issues and fails to be able to remain stable on many numerous occassions, see last week when their site was broken on saturday evening, and I can mention many other times their site broke. Thats unaacceptable for a streaming service.

In my experience, the Crunchyroll app has been fucking terrible... Incredibly inconsistent and rife with connection errors... Hulu and Netflix ALWAYS run better for me. Maybe not fair to Crunchyroll given their relative size, but...

I was mostly comparing it to other anime streaming services. Of course Netflix has it's things together. :)

That's basically what I am saying. I want Crunchyroll, Funimation, and other services to stay around so they can push each other to give more value for their service. If Crunchyroll goes out, then what pushes Funimation to fix their broken service?

I wish we had alternatives since crunchyroll has clear downtime issues and fails to be able to remain stable on many numerous occassions, see last week when their site was broken on saturday evening, and I can mention many other times their site broke. Thats unaacceptable for a streaming service.

I don't know about site issues. I mostly stream through my tablet app and my PS4 app and they both work flawlessly for me.

Death Parade and Overlord were some other OPs I found myself really enjoying recently.

I also really liked Yuri on Ice's ED.

Death Parade has an amazing OP.

speaking of Fire Emblem and Nintendo games, anyone picking up DQVIII this friday? Reviews seem solid and this seems to be the one folks always tell me to grab when I express interest in starting the franchise.

Mailbox

Death Parade has an amazing OP.

word of warning though, The whole song is pretty crap, but the cutting and editing for the OP makes the song downright amazing. Its one of the few OPs I'd straight up say "don't bother with the whole version, stick to the 'TV version'"

Seriously give whoever edited the OP music for Death Parade a medal!!!

Quasar

I was mostly comparing it to other anime streaming services. Of course Netflix has it's things together. :)

That's basically what I am saying. I want Crunchyroll, Funimation, and other services to stay around so they can push each other to give more value for their service. If Crunchyroll goes out, then what pushes Funimation to fix their broken service?

In a way this reminds me of the people who want Steam to be the only PC game service.

Here of course there's the complaints of needing to pay for 4-5 streaming services to get all the anime simulcasts. The CR/Funi deal reduced that somewhat.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

So I don't need to see Netflix fuck up the LWA release, Scum's Wish being sent to die on Amazon, and Funi grabbing exclusive I don't want to pay them for.

For generally the same reasons I don't want to have to use Uplay alongside UWP, GOG, Origin, B.net and Steam.

Just Steam is enough for me.

Unfortunately Funi is shit. I'd much rather the takeover go in the opposite direction but CR is a small time player I guess.

Mailbox

So I don't need to see Netflix fuck up the LWA release, anime being sent to die on Amazon, and Funi grabbing exclusive I don't want to pay them for.

Yeah, amazon really needs to just... not. I like their selection enough (despite it being barren in canada), but their distribution and whatnot is pathetic at best.

As for funi, most of their new exclusives tend to stream on Crunchyroll now due to the partnership. Can't really think of anything of note that they got recently that Crunchy doesn't stream.

Haly

Actually, ideally, Amazon taking over everything would be great because I already have Prime and Amazon's not a bad service overall.

Amazon Strike is just nonsense though.

Mailbox

Actually, ideally, Amazon taking over everything would be great because I already have Prime and Amazon's not a bad service overall.

Oh sure, I hope they never bother with Strike up here in Canada :S
I have studentPrime too, so I get Prime for basically dirt cheap XD
That said, they have missteps with their distribution that they really need to weed out (Like lacking subs on some shows and sometimes just some episodes :S)

Haly

That said, they have missteps with their distribution that they really need to weed out (Like lacking subs on some shows and sometimes just some episodes :S)
This annoys me a lot especially on Prime video.

Quasar

Given how terrible the amazon video apps are I'd be bummed, plus it would mean much crappier service for everyone outside of a few countries. Whilst not perfect in that regard CR does a better job than most.

Andrew J.

Maidragon 02

Yo, those action scenes was sick! And Kanna is super cute.

Konosuba S2 02

Oh Megumin, why are you so best? I'm digging that ED, it's folksy and comfy.

Haly

The new skins for D.va / Mei look bad.

It's a good thing though, because D.va / Mei players don't deserve good things.
Need links too lazy to look them up

Also DVA was nerfed? how?

EdIT: They hit my twitters. They're not bad. Mei needs a real qipao though.

A current (at least as of yesterday?) employee at Crunchyroll posted this rather disquieting tweet this afternoon, so yeah, it does look like there's really something going on there. If Crunchyroll falls apart that's going to be disastrous for the anime industry, both because they've been at the forefront of driving legal anime viewing in English speaking countries and because they've been investing heavily into anime as both members of production committees and as primary funders of original projects such as LeSean Thomas' Children of Ether and Osamu Kobayashi's upcoming series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom