• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can post about whatever stupid garbage show I want and nobody ever gets mad or tells me to stop posting about it as far as I can remember.
because everyone has me on ignore
Not really sure where the persecution complex thing is coming from. When someone makes loads of posts that don't contribute anything to the thread like spamming .gifs and bad memes people are more likely to be upset. thinking, bigthink, hmm, etc.

You've been around the community a long time and are pretty well-respected here, (or at least I personally respect you) so I don't expect people to really come after you for it. Now, as someone who has experienced it way back in 2012~2013 and a little right before I checked out for some time, I can tell you it does happen.

Again, I don't think it comes from a malicious place, but some do subconsciously do it and write it off as them "kidding around", not realizing that newcomers aren't accustomed to that type of "humor" from members of the community. I've had people come to me through Twitter either saying how they left the community or they're afraid to join due to this. Writing it off as a "persecution complex" doesn't help in the slightest in regards to how some may actually feel.

And yes, more active members in this community tend to be more vocal about bad memes and spam. But, I think, that is nothing compared to the driving out of new blood.

Pretty sure he hates that too. I've personally never seen it so I have no opinion. :p

Oh man. Wife and I watched that finally for New Year's Eve. Did not click for us at all, and she's a huge Madoka fan, has a bunch of the Nendoroids and everything. She felt it was a huge kick to the teeth for her as a fan of the franchise. Can't say I entirely disagreed.

Oh man. Wife and I watched that finally for New Year's Eve. Did not click for us at all, and she's a huge Madoka fan, has a bunch of the Nendoroids and everything. She felt it was a huge kick to the teeth for her as a fan of the franchise. Can't say I entirely disagreed.

At least it had that Mami fight. :p

I tried german suplexing this deer but it didn't work.

Anime lying to me yet again.

The Lucky Star depiction is closer to real life.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaters gonna haaaaaaaaaaate

maxresdefault.jpg

Thud

Those people are wrong and dumb because the first game that came out in 1990's official art looks like this

but I guess anything that came out before K-ON doesn't count

A lot of games aped the current anime style. However it didn't cater for it exclusively, which they did since awakening.

Character writing is somehow worse than Shadow Dragon in Fates. If I wanted disposable units I rather play Advance Wars.

Hellraider

I don't know what it is about myself and Anime, but on the topic of bringing meaningful discussion I have a much harder time recognizing directors staff so I can see their previous work and make a guess of what to expect of their next work. Not sure if it's simply because it is harder to come across this information with a language, culture and character barrier with their written language.

I'm sure they're listing in the production in the OP and ED, but I either skip it or only focus on the visuals.

Feels like in the west the director/show runner is a bigger deal than in Anime. Trailers tend to show front and center "from the man that brought you" or something in that regard. Probably first step I need to work on as it has always bothered me how I need to constantly imdb shows and then imdb the people involved.

Are MyAnimeList and AniDB not sufficient enough for you? I mean, sure, I wouldn't mind a lot more details on my credits, but these two are doing a pretty decent job. At least the situation is better than videogame credits...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can post about whatever stupid garbage show I want and nobody ever gets mad or tells me to stop posting about it as far as I can remember.
because everyone has me on ignore
Not really sure where the persecution complex thing is coming from. When someone makes loads of posts that don't contribute anything to the thread like spamming .gifs and bad memes people are more likely to be upset. thinking, bigthink, hmm, etc.
We love you dimb you're like grumpy cat.

Are MyAnimeList and AniDB not sufficient enough for you? I mean, sure, I wouldn't mind a lot more details on my credits, but these two are doing a pretty decent job. At least the situation is better than videogame credits...
You make a valid point.

For someone who considers himself a gamer I also don't know many names from teams. Similar to Anime it's largely recognizing studios and the occasional big name.

Don't know if it's harder information to come up with without putting more effort unlike films and tvs which essentially throw the names at you.

Aki-at

Konosuba S2 2

First third with the
toads
had me in hysterics, didn't quite enjoy the rest of the episode as much. I'm finding the whole series has a good segment that can leave me in stiches but then the other portions of the episodes don't nearly click as well for me, it's pretty strange!

Hoping Darkness returns next week.

sonicmj1

But Im not gnashing my teeth and fleeing when people posted in post header titles about being glad there is no discussion of this seasons best kept secret.!!!1 S

To be clear here, because I don't want you to take the wrong impression:

1. When I put stuff in the title field, I generally think of it as a parenthetical, sort of how some people use spoiler tags. It's an aside, less important than the body of the post. It wasn't meant to be some major community bulletin.

2. I was referring to dimb's post from last week, more as an observation than as an expression of joy or disappointment. Given how many people seemed to watch the first episode, I was surprised more people weren't watching the next episode, ironically or otherwise.

Honestly, I was disappointed not to see you post your impressions of episode 2. I personally have no plans to watch any more episodes, but I'm interested to see how it progresses. I'd hate to think that my jokey aside discouraged you from participating!

Feels like in the west the director/show runner is a bigger deal than in Anime. Trailers tend to show front and center "from the man that brought you" or something in that regard. Probably first step I need to work on as it has always bothered me how I need to constantly imdb shows and then imdb the people involved.

Anime trailers often put directors front and center as well; it's just that they're in Japanese. For big-name directors such as Yuasa or Hosoda, they're usually the key factor used to market their works.

Gurren Lagann - 23

For as much of a prick as Rossiu was, as I mentioned before I understood why he was doing what he was doing. He went about it the wrong way, but he truly believed it was for the best. Good thing Simon pulled a Kamina and brought him to his senses. As much bad as he did, pushing that trigger wouldn't have changed a thing.

Final scene was sooo hype. Everyone looked badass in their uniforms.

Akiba's Trip 03

You know I would have thought they might have caught on quicker that the cameraman was tricking them into doing lewd things. They should have figured SOMETHING was up by the time they were snacking on phallic foods.

Chaos; Child 02

Still no idea where this is all headed but they keep leaving on cliff hangers and that will keep me watching.

Dragon Maid 02

I forgot how much of a great addition to the dynamics of the comedy in this is thanks to Kanna being a part of things. Man do I love the OP and ED, they really stand out since most of the ones I've heard leave me feeling cold or are forgettable.

Anime trailers often put directors front and center as well; it's just that they're in Japanese. For big-name directors such as Yuasa or Hosoda, they're usually the key factor used to market their works.
I guess it's a language barrier and lack of effort then. Because PVs for me always seemed like they put (Studio name) then shots of the show or character art, alongside some VA from big names which I thought were the names listed.

The Lucky Star depiction is closer to real life.

Aw man.

There are significantly less German Suplexes here than are shown in Japanese media.

When will a Japanese schoolgirl come running around the corner with a piece of toast in her mouth only to run into me and deliver an Ocean Cyclone Suplex?

Dragon Maid 02

I forgot how much of a great addition to the dynamics of the comedy in this is thanks to Kanna being a part of things. Man do I love the OP and ED, they really stand out since most of the ones I've heard leave me feeling cold or are forgettable.

Not going to lie, those images you put up make me want to watch it. Never doubt KyoAni and their animation.

sonicmj1

I don't know what it is about myself and Anime, but on the topic of bringing meaningful discussion I have a much harder time recognizing directors staff so I can see their previous work and make a guess of what to expect of their next work. Not sure if it's simply because it is harder to come across this information with a language, culture and character barrier with their written language.

I'm sure they're listing in the production in the OP and ED, but I either skip it or only focus on the visuals.

It depends who they're marketing to. Anime that exist to market some other original work are less likely to place as much emphasis there, though most trailers will call attention to the names of show directors, character designers, or authors of the original work.

But when you start getting to original material...

Yuasa's second film for this spring, Lu Over the Wall, has just been announced with a snazzy trailer. Opens May 19.

then you get trailers like this one that opens basically with "From the director of Mind Game, Ping Pong, and The Tatami Galaxy..."

KonoSuba S2 - 02

Finding myself enjoying this new season a lot. Comedic timing in parts of soundtrack abruptly stopping (whats this term called?) and the voice actors yet again doing a splendid job overall. I also feel there has been an increase in variety goofy faces besides the usual deadpan ones.
Megumi's rival hasn't really clicked with me but she does set up some amusing scenarios that the others can play off. I have high hopes for the demon kitty!

Took the plunge and finally signed up for a Crunchyroll account. Naturally the first thing I watched was Konosuba 2.

I love this series so much. Hands down the best "Trapped in a _____ world" anime in my book. Kazuma and Megumin playing chicken to see who would wuss out going into the bath was just great.

It depends who they're marketing to. Anime that exist to market some other original work are less likely to place as much emphasis there, though most trailers will call attention to the names of show directors, character designers, or authors of the original work.

But when you start getting to original material...

then you get trailers like this one that opens basically with "From the director of Mind Game, Ping Pong, and The Tatami Galaxy..."

Don't forget Crayon Shin-chan Movie 22: Serious Battle! Robot Dad Strikes Back! (which Yuasa was not the director of, but for which he did handle the sequence shown in the trailer)

I was about to ask which shin chan movie he directed so I can go find it haha. Also I'm sure I can't be the only one who saw that trailer and got major Ponyo vibes. Has he been interviewed and mentioned any inspiration from the film?

I know some here are big fans of Yuasa, but I personally could never get into his works. While his approach to animation is unique, I am personally not a big fan of it and it's actively off-putting to me. He uses his animation to his benefit, but I just can't.

Cornbread78

Dragon Maid ep.2
Dragon magical battle was great, but everything else was pretty slow in tone and pacing. Although, the seesaw bit at the very end was pretty damn funny.

John Blade

What a fun and bad ass episode. Didn't expect the MC, Madlax , go to her target she need to kill, tell him he will get kill by her, get romantic with him, and then kill him the next day. That is creative way. Also, a short intro to a new character, Limelda , who is a sniper and they is a short sniper duel between her and Madlax. Not too much except now, we know she will have something to kill during this show from the look of it.

Gurren Lagann - 23

For as much of a prick as Rossiu was, as I mentioned before I understood why he was doing what he was doing. He went about it the wrong way, but he truly believed it was for the best. Good thing Simon pulled a Kamina and brought him to his senses. As much bad as he did, pushing that trigger wouldn't have changed a thing.

Final scene was sooo hype. Everyone looked badass in their uniforms.

609b4F6.gif

What a fun and bad ass episode. Didn't expect the MC, Madlax , go to her target she need to kill, tell him he will get kill by her, get romantic with him, and then kill him the next day. That is creative way. Also, a short intro to a new character, Limelda , who is a sniper and they is a short sniper duel between her and Madlax. Not too much except now, we know she will have something to kill during this show from the look of it.

That reads like a genderswapped Golgo 13 episode except for all the talking.

Sterok

Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 2

Yeah, this series is a lot more subdued than I was expecting. Not necessarily in a bad way, but I thought this was going to be mostly wacky fun times. Well, it's comfy enough, so I might as well continue watching.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Apparently crunchyroll laid off most of their core staff?

https://twitter.com/danikaharrod/sta...81688821272577

(Danika used to work there and has friends there)

Anyone have any idea what's going on there? Are they restructuring or something? I can't find any other concrete info anywhere.
It makes it sound like it's the editorial side... and I guess I don't read any anime news, but I assume that side of the site doesn't do as well as the streaming side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom