• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

A current (at least as of yesterday?) employee at Crunchyroll posted this rather disquieting tweet this afternoon, so yeah, it does look like there's really something going on there. If Crunchyroll falls apart that's going to be disastrous for the anime industry, both because they've been at the forefront of driving legal anime viewing in English speaking countries and because they've been investing heavily into anime as both members of production committees and as primary funders of original projects such as LeSean Thomas' Children of Ether and Osamu Kobayashi's upcoming series.

tbf, that last tweet could just be in response to the imminent inauguration of Donald J. Trump

Quasar

A current (at least as of yesterday?) employee at Crunchyroll posted this rather disquieting tweet this afternoon, so yeah, it does look like there's really something going on there. If Crunchyroll falls apart that's going to be disastrous for the anime industry, both because they've been at the forefront of driving legal anime viewing in English speaking countries and because they've been investing heavily into anime as both members of production committees and as primary funders of original projects such as LeSean Thomas' Children of Ether and Osamu Kobayashi's upcoming series.

Well that makes it sound like its more than the news department.

I'm 5 minutes into One Punch Man. I think I'm in love. I still can't make up my mind between dub and sub though. I love them both, and think as long as I love this season I'll probably just re-watch them all the other way once I'm done.

kewlmyc

The new skins for D.va / Mei look bad.

It's a good thing though, because D.va / Mei players don't deserve good things.

I try to refrain from flat out telling people they have shit taste, but you're really tempting me.

Apparently crunchyroll laid off most of their core staff?

https://twitter.com/danikaharrod/status/821881688821272577

(Danika used to work there and has friends there)

Anyone have any idea what's going on there? Are they restructuring or something? I can't find any other concrete info anywhere.

That sucks. Hope they can all bounce right back up as quickly as possible. Wonder what happened.

If this is the Victoria I think of, it would be really weird for her to be laid off, she is basically the face of CR on any social media stuff.

Cornbread78

Dennou Coil ep.9

This was a pretty fun episode with both crews getting together for tge sleep over and the duel, nut tgem that ending happened and all sorts of weird things started going down and now I'm really curious as to where this is going....

This is pretty much exactly what happened the last time, too. Geneon and ADV started getting on production committees, funding anime, etc, and then collapsed, leading (along with some other factors) to the horrific crash of the market we saw around 2008. I've felt for awhile like we were potentially in another bubble that was about to burst, particularly with some of Crunchyroll and Funimation's actions seeming to mirror those of Geneon, ADV and Bandai back around 2005 or so.

Coupled with the production issues we're seeing with TV anime almost across the board, this looks like a potentially dire situation.

Rainy

Banned
RahXephon 9

Well I guess that confirms my suspicion that
Haruka and Megumi were from Tokyo originally. The boy Haruka fell in love with then was Ayato?

RahXephon 9

Well I guess that confirms my suspicion that
Haruka and Megumi were from Tokyo originally. The boy Haruka fell in love with then was Ayato?
Lord, I haven't seen this for at least 10 years. I have very fond memories of RahXephon....I'll be eager to see your thoughts once you finish. I really can't remember much specifically like characters names. I only remember the parts when my cold heart of steel was turned to mush.

Grexeno

This is pretty much exactly what happened the last time, too. Geneon and ADV started getting on production committees, funding anime, etc, and then collapsed, leading (along with some other factors) to the horrific crash of the market we saw around 2008. I've felt for awhile like we were potentially in another bubble that was about to burst, particularly with some of Crunchyroll and Funimation's actions seeming to mirror those of Geneon, ADV and Bandai back around 2005 or so.

Coupled with the production issues we're seeing with TV anime almost across the board, this looks like a potentially dire situation.

So how do these companies just up and collapse when they appear to be growing?

My chief worry is that they've expanded too much by getting into financing shows and being on production committees. That was a key factor in what lead to Geneon collapsing financially. If Crunchyroll has seen some titles they invested in heavily not make a profit, then that could seriously impact their bottom line and lead to a contraction of the industry.

I'm not sure what Crunchyroll's typical profit margins have been over the past few years, but it's completely possible that a few shows they funded bombing could eat away at most of that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
oh god it's been 5 years since sword art online just kill me now i'm at death's door

Grexeno

My chief worry is that they've expanded too much by getting into financing shows and being on production committees. That was a key factor in what lead to Geneon collapsing financially. If Crunchyroll has seen some titles they invested in heavily not make a profit, then that could seriously impact their bottom line and lead to a contraction of the industry.

I'm not sure what Crunchyroll's typical profit margins have been over the past few years, but it's completely possible that a few shows they funded bombing could eat away at most of that.
Well surely the industry can't make the same mistake twice.

ha

ha

hahahaha

duckroll

ADV overexpanded and when the market started to contract from oversaturation they couldn't sustain their overheads.

Geneon well. Erm. Let's just say they were more than happy to pay big money for killer hits like Heat Guy J and.... iirc Stellvia? Anyway it was a string of overinvestment into titles which would never have the chance to recoup those costs. In the end they sunk and the Japanese side saw no reason to save them.

Quasar

ADV overexpanded and when the market started to contract from oversaturation they couldn't sustain their overheads.

Geneon well. Erm. Let's just say they were more than happy to pay big money for killer hits like Heat Guy J and.... iirc Stellvia? Anyway it was a string of overinvestment into titles which would never have the chance to recoup those costs. In the end they sunk and the Japanese side saw no reason to save them.

Though its a bit different when you have no physical inventory. Of course there is/was the licensing price war and the decision to simulcast basically everything thats not for little kids.

And maybe the userbase is growing just not enough in terms of paying subscribers. Wonder what the paying/non paying breakdown is like.

Haly

one of the most popular anime ever created
I would say its cultural penetration among the english-speaking fanbase is very large, but it actually lags behind the real giants of the 21st century, namely -monogatari, Madoka, Fate, and Seed.

It is on the level of Haruhi, Code Geass and K-on, which, while popular in their heydey were still also FOTM memes compared to the absolute crushing power of suffering megucas.

Someone on Twitter linked to this GlassDoor review written a week ago by an employee of Ellation, the company that owns Crunchyroll. It basically says that there is incompetent corporate leadership that has been sabotaging the will of the employees there.

Oof. That's not good.

Don't forget how ADV was paying around $800,000 a piece for shows like Guyver, Pumpkin Scissors and Tokyo Majin. I'm completely shocked those investments didn't pan out for them.

Hmm I wonder how much Crunchyroll's potential collapse would damage our attempts at running our seasonal anime review website. Whether the anime network, DAISUKI and funi would rise to the occasion and fill the void. I guess it's a good thing I'm also working on my novel career.

From what I can tell these are the titles that Crunchy are considered producers for: Shelter, Masamune-kun no Revenge, Kiznaiver, Uchuu Patrol Luluco, Nanbaka, Anne Happy♪, Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu and Idol Jihen....so yeah not good.

duckroll

Don't forget how ADV was paying around $800,000 a piece for shows like Guyver, Pumpkin Scissors and Tokyo Majin. I'm completely shocked those investments didn't pan out for them.

Yeah but I think the rapid expansion of multiple studios to ramp up production did them in more than all that. They were so aggressive with growth before the crash...

From what I can tell these are the titles that Crunchy are considered producers for: Shelter, Masamune-kun no Revenge, Kiznaiver, Uchuu Patrol Luluco, Nanbaka, Anne Happy♪, Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu and Idol Jihen....so yeah not good.
Eep. A lot of missteps with only a couple pay offs in there.

Gurren Lagann - 26 and 27

I couldn't stop to post here, I had to immediately watch the two episodes back to back.

Gurren Lagann is quite possibly one of the greatest yet silliest ideas to ever come out of anime. But guess what? It worked. And it worked perfectly well from beginning to end. The show is the biggest rollercoaster one could get on. It's hilarious, it's dramatic, it's hype inducing, it's emotional, it's unpredictable... it's everything! The sheer amount of power that comes from the animation and audio tracks gave me goosebumps at times. I cannot stress that enough. I will probably give it some time now, but I'll definitely watch that second movie just so I can revisit this with even crazier animation to back it up.

As for the ending, what we got was a very touching and superb way of finishing off the show. I was so sad yet happy at the same time. The ending after the credits was perfect too, showing us just enough to know what each character is up to, and leaving the rest up to our imaginations. So many shows often times feel the need to go into detail, when something like this is just enough.

I said I'd give this show a 2 if
Nia died
but... WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!
dHG6czG.jpg
10/10. Will we remember this for years and years to come?

Yeah but I think the rapid expansion of multiple studios to ramp up production did them in more than all that. They were so aggressive with growth before the crash...

Not to mention their investment in that live action Evangelion movie.

I really wonder what was going on in their minds. They made so many aggressive moves that just looked foolish even at the time. But their over-expansion was definitely a big factor in everything.

They also failed at their attempts to diversify. They paid top dollar for Sgt. Frog only to realize that they had no clue how to handle a kids show at all.

Haly

At least one third of those sales are to firehawk12.

Gurren Lagann - 26 and 27

I couldn't stop to post here, I had to immediately watch the two episodes back to back.

Gurren Lagann is quite possibly one of the greatest yet silliest ideas to ever come out of anime. But guess what? It worked. And it worked perfectly well from beginning to end. The show is the biggest rollercoaster one could get on. It's hilarious, it's dramatic, it's hype inducing, it's emotional, it's unpredictable... it's everything! The sheer amount of power that comes from the animation and audio tracks gave me goosebumps at times. I cannot stress that enough. I will probably give it some time now, but I'll definitely watch that second movie just so I can revisit this with even crazier animation to back it up.

As for the ending, what we got was a very touching and superb way of finishing off the show. I was so sad yet happy at the same time. The ending after the credits was perfect too, showing us just enough to know what each character is up to, and leaving the rest up to our imaginations. So many shows often times feel the need to go into detail, when something like this is just enough.

I said I'd give this show a 2 if
Nia died
but... WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!

10/10. Will we remember this for years and years to come?

Omedetou!

Clov

I have heard that in the last few years the cost of licensing new anime has gone up considerably. Supposedly Funimation paid a ridiculous amount per episode to grab My Hero Academia.

I remember reading that they may be involved in the production committee for Dragon Maid, though I have no idea if that's true or not.

Edit: Actually, it may be that they have the home video rights to it, not that they're a member of the committee. Hm.

Well the series is already 10 years old... so...

I'm glad I watched this now. 12-13 year old me wouldn't have appreciated this nearly as much as I did now.

Also it's pretty insane considering this show could literally take a dump on many other recent shows' attempts at flashy animation.

Quasar

jesus christ at Infinite Stratos selling 33k

I'm kind of surprised its that low. But then Im always kind of surprised to see the sales numbers for anime that runs a fair while and is part of a seemingly unending novel series. So I'm also surprised that SAO is only 34k.

Though I shouldn't be surprised given how I approach anime as totally disposable and not something I need to own. Though thats pretty true across all media.

I'm glad I watched this now. 12-13 year old me wouldn't have appreciated this nearly as much as I did now.

Also it's pretty insane considering this show could literally take a dump on many other recent shows' attempts at flashy animation.

I mean, animation is animation. Plenty of older stuff has fantastic animation, and plenty of newer stuff has garbage animation. It's not really surprising to see amazingly animated older shows.

LMFAO YESSSSSS

I mean, animation is animation. Plenty of older stuff has fantastic animation, and plenty of newer stuff has garbage animation. It's not really surprising to see amazingly animated older shows.
Idk if you saw me post about GITS 1995, I talked about it there. I do agree that a lot of older shows have animation that beats today's stuff, but TTGL isn't just animation. It's the FLASH and GRANDEUR of it all. I've yet to see a visual spectacle quite like TTGL

Fuck yeah dude. Welcome to the club.

AYY

For real though Names I'm glad you enjoyed the show. I remember going into that show expecting nothing and coming out of it enjoying it like I had never enjoyed a show before.

You just witnessed Super Robots at its very finest. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom