• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
It's strange that they've been so quiet about this. What's the hold-up?

Funimation is doing the distribution now. It's also different titles now
And further, Funimation will now distribute Crunchyroll’s titles through home video and a variety of EST outlets, with both dubbed and subtitled versions together. Currently planned titles include Ace Attorney, Alderamin on the Sky, Bungo Stray Dogs, JOKER GAME, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress and ReLIFE, with more to be announced in the future.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...-funimation-partner-to-expand-access-to-anime

Crunchyroll got weird the past year. Remember when they announced that they planned to release shows on DVD and Bluray with Dubs.

Crunchyroll-DVD-and-BLu-Ray-Launch-Header-20160701.jpg

I completely forgot about those shows getting dubs and released on DVDs. I wonder why they haven't said anything about it.

Cornbread78

RahXephon 9
Well I guess that confirms my suspicion that
Haruka and Megumi were from Tokyo originally. The boy Haruka fell in love with then was Ayato?

They won't come out and say and it's driving me crazy, lol. They are holding out all of shiws mysteries by slowely leaking out info, but with no context behind it, so it's impossible to connect the dots on what the deal is, lol. You start adding in the
difference of years between the two worlds (which then generalized, but didn't explain, lol)
so yeah, it's tough to get a read on anything. You can tell the reveals are going to come fast and furiously at the end of this thing..

I'm enjoying it as well, despite their delay/mystery tactics, lol.

Gurren Lagann - 26 and 27
I said I'd give this show a 2 if
Nia died
but... WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!
10/10. Will we remember this for years and years to come?

You took this soooooo much better thsn I thought you would. I'm still angry to this day because Simon deserved more dammit.

ACCA:13 02

The slow burn keeps on going. Still pretty interested. It's nice to have a show that takes its time every once in a while (as long as it doesn't end up being a slice of life or something)

Akiba's Trip 03

Eh, was alright. Don't really care for idol stuff myself so it was kinda doomed from the start.

Konosuba S2 02

Okay, much muuuuch better than ep1. That was actually one of the better episodes overall. Love this series.

Dragon Maid 02

Great episode, I officially love this show. Liiitle worried its gonna get a bit harem-ey without knowing the original source material. Hope I'm wrong.

Akiba's Trip 3
My mind is fucking blown by a Carl's Jr. being an actual Carl's Jr. The rest of the episode was pretty fun still, the path to becoming an audiophile was hilarious, and I laughed when "that pool" appeared. Glad that Kati keeps showing up too.

Akiba's Trip 3

My mind is fucking blown by a Carl's Jr. being an actual Carl's Jr. The rest of the episode was pretty fun still, the path to becoming an audiophile was hilarious, and I laughed when "that pool" appeared. Glad that Kati keeps showing up too.

MgRonald's totally has the superior Hamburger.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I assumed Funi took it over and those titles need to be slotted into the existing Funi schedule so its taking a while to work out.
Funi is giving me back Scrapped Princess so I don't give a fuck about any of this! Good things come to those who wait.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Akiba's Trip 3
Did you watch the credits to see if they were in them? That's usually a sign that money changed hands to make that happen.

GKBuXNil.jpg

Yup, that's Carl's Jr on the bottom left.

Maybe it's just one of those "promotional consideration" things.

Rainy

Banned
RahXephon 11
Episode had a bit of everything.

Ayato definitely wants no part of Tokyo anymore, as that part of the hallucination kind of proved. The whole scene with his mother was pretty interesting. Had a feeling that she knew he was connected to the RahXephon the whole time (well that was obvious) but it's amazing that she thought she was an amazing parent. Ayato feels so torn up about everything, whew. Really want to see what happens with Quon, I think she'll die pretty soon. Also who is Reika...maybe the spirit inside of RahXephon?

Also man...Haruka really loves Ayato huh.

You know his name is actually Iok right? Lololol. Not only is he fucking dumb, he has a fucking dumb name too.

So how did you feel about that uninterrupted 3 minute tour de force of Barbatos Musou?

Whoops. Put in n instead of k by mistake. My B.

To answer your second question, I really liked it. It was like I was watching a completely different show with its fast paced barrage of attacks between the Barbatos and the Mobile Armour.

Thoraxes

I do miss them, and they had some very good BD releases. I have all their K-ON singles, Sword of the Stranger, and the Haruhi movie. All well-made discs.

I actually really did like Geneon; while they didn't last long into the BD market (their only BD being Samurai Champloo), they had some great stuff on DVD; Haibane Renmei, Paradise Kiss, Lain, Ayakashi... I miss them a bit, despite the many stupid decisions they made.

I think the last thing I got of theirs was both volumes of Star Driver on BD.

Update on the Crunchyroll situation:

Apparently it was the entire QA team and a good amount of San Francisco's engineering team laid off. It comes from a full post on reddit:

Throwaway account.

There were layoffs. The entirety of QA and a decent % of the San Francisco engineering team were laid off.

Basically, we started working with an outsourcing company (Yopeso), whos CTO was buddy buddy with our head of Product. He became our interim CTO around June and has made horrible decision after horrible decision from a ground level perspective. Decided to get rid of the Project Management team, directly told engineers that he didn't care if they had to work 16 hours on a weekend because they were on salary, etc.

Basically every engineer and ground level employee started asking about conflict of interest and directly asked executives if they were going to be replaced with outsourced engineers, and were repeatedly told we would not be.

Today, they purchased a portion of the outsourcing company. The CEO of that outsourcing company is now permanent CTO at Ellation (Crunchyroll's parent).

They sent us a wonderful FAQ at the end of the day, this part in particular was embarrassingly bad.

Q: Doesn't Simon have a conflict of interest as our CTO?
A: No. Simon's involvement historically was at our request. We agreed to a budget against which we ramped up the Moldova team. Additionally, Simon was involved in our CTO search process, endorsing several candidates along the way. In the end, we decided that the combination of Simon and the Moldova acquisition was the best combination for Ellation. As we move forward, Simon is an employee of Ellation and his incentives are 100% aligned to delivering shareholder value to Ellation. We all as shareholders have the same interest in making Ellation a huge success.

Yikes.

Lynx_7

I just watched Angel's Egg and I don't think I understood what was going on but I sure loved them visuals! That's the Amano videogame I want in my life.

I also decided to finally commit to Jojo after putting it on-hold way back when the first season was airing. I just got to the first episode of Battle Tendency and I already like everything about it better than Phantom Blood.

Did you watch the credits to see if they were in them? That's usually a sign that money changed hands to make that happen.

Yup, that's Carl's Jr on the bottom left.

Maybe it's just one of those "promotional consideration" things.

Akiba's Trip, both game and anime, is very meticulous about reproducing the real Akihabara down to all of its businesses.

Konosuba S2 Ep 2

First opening was better and Im still debating on seasons 2 ending if its better than the first. Lots of funny and sad scenes from the crystal and Kazuma is pro gender equality :D. Also good job chomsuke.

PK Gaming

Maid Dragon 2

Way better than the last one. I wouldn't even call this "comedy" particularly funny, but it's really good at conveying this pleasant, charming and relaxing "atmosphere. That brief moment where Kobayashi contemplated humanity's extinction was great too. Memes aside, KyoAni is really good at what they do.

Sounds like 17 people were laid off according to Twitter. At least, that's what Ellation is claiming. Assuming this is accurate

Update on the Crunchyroll situation:

Apparently it was the entire QA team and a good amount of San Francisco's engineering team laid off. It comes from a full post on reddit:

Yikes.

Again their site has had issues for many saturdays and other days, so clearly the engineering department has been in need of doing something to improve the site. If people cant do their job in a satisfactory manner I dont know why people should well take up for them.

Even the simplest thing, the numerous times they upload anime without subs for even 30+ minutes for some unexplained reason has been a recurring issue for the ENTIRE past year.

Quasar

Maid Dragon 2

Way better than the last one. I wouldn't even call this "comedy" particularly funny, but it's really good at conveying this pleasant, charming and relaxing "feel good" atmosphere. That brief moment where Kobayashi contemplated humanity's extinction was great too.

Yeah. Based on 1 I was about to bail, liked 2 quite a bit.

Ah, so it's nothing about the company itself imploding or being for sale or anything, just money makers making money.

Girlish Number should do an OVA about the English streaming business. :p

Well, that is true, although a couple of those management stories are concerning to say the least.

So, Crunchyroll should be secure for now, but if their management is as bad as it sounds like right now, that could cause issues further down the line.

Interviews with Monster Girls 2

The date sequence was kind of awkward, but not as bad as I feared it might end up. Having Machi's head and body separated did make for some entertaining scenarios. The character animation took a hit, as expected, and in general the designs didn't seem as well handled as the first episode. Oh well.

What I really want, though, is to see the bottom of Machi's head. We haven't gotten a good look at it since it's always resting on something. Does she have a hole where her neck would go, similar to her body, or is it just skin all around?

Interviews with Monster Girls 2

The date sequence was kind of awkward, but not as bad as I feared it might end up. Having Machi's head and body separated did make for some entertaining scenarios. The character animation took a hit, as expected, and in general the designs didn't seem as well handled as the first episode. Oh well.

What I really want, though, is to see the bottom of Machi's head. We haven't gotten a good look at it since it's always resting on something. Does she have a hole where her neck would go, similar to her body, or is it just skin all around?

Haha....that is being covered in the current manga chapters.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kuwabara can you consider changing your avatar back to Kuwabara because I just...

I just don't know you anymore.

duckroll

91 Days - Episode 11
I liked this episode a lot. Probably the most logical and straight mafia revenge episode in the series where I didn't just roll my eyes or burst into laughter. Although that one guy taking on two goons who tried to gank him was kinda funny. Fucking scrubs. I think ultimately though, while the execution here actually worked, none of it really felt satisfying. I realize that I don't care about Angelo. I don't care about his revenge. I don't care about the Vanettis. None of this matters. It feels like it was all for nothing, indeed. Good episode title.

91 Days - Episode 12 (End)
This was the best ending the show doesn't deserve. That's about all I can say about it. Everything about the final episode felt more mature, more sensitive, and just more human than anything else in the rest of the series. Why the change in tone and direction? Or was this what they were striving for all along but was simply unable to find a balance? I don't know but it's a huge waste.

If indeed this was what they planned all along, then this was a story of how Nero Vanneti is a man who truly lives rather than someone who tries to live. A man of principle but also one who lives in a world he didn't choose to be in. Yet he takes it all in his stride and does what he must with what that life offers, not caring about what others think. And it is a story of how Angelo is a man who lives for a delusion. A ghost who should never have survived that night. I think there's a compelling dynamic there, and the ending certainly shows that there's a conclusive ending for such a story and says all it needs to say. Too bad everything that came before didn't support it enough to make it a slam dunk.

Jex

As someone who was driven away for a prolonged period of time, I can understand where this is coming from. That said, there is another dominating factor of AniGAF, and that is people being driven out for having an unpopular opinion. Usually, more "veterans" of AnimeGAF use this as a joke. But to more newcomers, it can come across as demeaning and anti-newcomer.

I am with you in spreading more discussion and less noise. But what happens when people perceive a sincere opinion as noise? Or as disingenuous? Who is to say that a person is being genuine with how they feel about any one particular show?

I'm all for growing this community and getting a more vibrant and varied opinions and discussion. But we should not be the type of community to talk down to others or demean them because we don't feel their selection of shows they choose to like is lesser than our own choices. If you want to start discourse on a show and ask said person why they like a show and then present your own counter-argument why the show didn't jive with you, I am all for that.

I am against, however, things like, "I like anime X" and a person responding "ugh, you shouldn't like anime x."

This stifles actual discussion more than anything, and gets people to either leave the community or devolve the discussions. Neither of which I think this community wants.
For starters, I will just clarify that anyone posting any kind of opinion or view regarding a show wouldn't really be "noise" at all. Noise is filler posts and chatter completely unrelated to your experiences/views of a show. It's not really something that happens too often right now.

I can certainly see where your concern is coming from with regards to people holding differing opinions. I would agree that treating people who hold such opinions badly is certainly not welcoming to new member of the community. However, I think this kind of situation actually ends occurring in two different ways:

1) There's the scenario you have suggested above, where someone is attacked for simply holding an opinion.

2) There's a scenario where someone expresses an opinion with regards to anime, other people express a negative opinion regarding that anime, and the person with the original opinion feels like they're being 'attacked' when in fact all that is occurring is a robust debate as to the quality of a particular anime.

In on other words, some people seem to really take it the wrong way (e.g. too personally) when people express a negative opinion about a work they happen to like. This is just part of the discussion here: people tend to be fairly critical about the anime they watch and will often express those criticisms at length.

To wrap up this thought, I'd say this is the softest AnimeGAF has ever been in terms of allowing a diversity of opinions to flourish in the thread. I'm not saying that further improvement is not possible, but I do think it's at a pretty good place right now.

Jarmel

Banned
So I recently saw Road to Perdition and the ending itself really reminded me of the final scene in 91 Days at the beach.

Narag

It's clearly no secret I have insecurities with watching anime. There's still a social stigma based on ignorance attached to it that for the most part isn't no longer present with sci-fi, fantasy, and western comics. More and more people are outing themselves as fans of these and proudly stating themselves as fans of these properties. Anime unfortunately hasn't reached this because no matter how often an animated film makes it to nominee status in say the academy awards, people will continue to equate anime with certain ideas in their head. Even on GAF with the moderation taking a stand we still have people who see an anime avatar and attempt to disregard anything and everything they say by equating it to "oh of course it had to be an anime avatar who said X or Y". And this is seen around the internet. I'm not ashamed to watch anime as people in my social circles still know I enjoy it and come for recommendations and I try to tailor said rec to what I think they'd enjoy. I thought it'd be clear after what? 5-6 years posting in this community that I am a fan of anime and will always be. I just like to kid around more than I post serious discussions because, as I've mentioned once before, I don't have the confidence I can bring a level of analysis to these shows similar to dimb, wonzo, jexhius, jarmel, or any of the other guys who actually know their shit and can put it much more eloquently.

Listen, if it's a matter of me dropping or toning down my insecurities from my posts, I can certainly try. I've tried posting less than when Cajun was here because lo and behold I realize I was flooding the thread. I'm still usually within the top 10 but I guess that deals with my priorities. When I'm bored and not exercising or playing a game I like coming here because anime is arguably the most TV that I watch and the community is fairly active.

I'm glad to hear you don't have personally a problem with me. And if any of the other guys that left one of the reasons they left for some reason was me, then please let them know I'm willing to work out whatever problems they have with me. I enjoy reading their analysis of shows, and while I realized some disliked me I thought it was just a toxic attitude based off my bad jokes. I never intended to drive out anybody with my insecurities.

If they want to ask something of me to work on and it isn't just "please leave so I can come back" then I'm game. I never disliked any of them and appreciated their posts on GAF.

It's fine. If they're done with the community after declining an offered platform they long thought denied to them, that's on me to stop worrying about. Just ease up on the shtick and I think everyone will be happy if they ever do happen to wander back.

On a more positive note, Voltron's back on Friday and here's hoping they continue on the upward trajectory it was on.

Seems like a serious beef to me. Both sounded pretty honest with their post.
Truly you have shounen heart enough to see through to the truth of my feelings.

What the fuck is going on. I feel like there's some AnimeGAF civil war I missed or something.

wonzo would say this civil war was bad too. rip wonzo

Preach it my dude.
GUUeXvC.gif

how come nobody ever gif spams good shows
Because good shows are .webm'd instead as God El Cantare Being X intended.
I support powerful good looking characters that grow and develop over the course of an anime for the better.
I mean, don't we all?

I can post about whatever stupid garbage show I want and nobody ever gets mad or tells me to stop posting about it as far as I can remember.
because everyone has me on ignore
Not really sure where the persecution complex thing is coming from. When someone makes loads of posts that don't contribute anything to the thread like spamming .gifs and bad memes people are more likely to be upset. thinking, bigthink, hmm, etc.

Hey, I appreciate your insight. You watch a lot of stuff and you have some honest opinions about shows that people don't quite appreciate since it doesn't align with their views. Wouldn't have watched Hackadoll or Nurse Witch Komugi R without your prodding.

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Department 1-2

I'm digging this. So far it's a lot of set-up and world building, and right now it's seeming like a slow boil, but I'm intrigued. I'm enjoying Otus as the main character, although I'll be curious to see how he handles being framed.

Also, this is my favorite OP of the season.

Is Episode 2 of Scums Wish not out yet? For some reason I can only access episode one, though it's telling me episode 2 came out Yesterday (January 18th). It shouldn't be an Anime Strike issue either since it's not in Canada.

Is Episode 2 of Scums Wish not out yet? For some reason I can only access episode one, though its telling me episode 2 came out on January 18th, although it's now the 19th. It shouldn't be an Anime Strike issue either since it's not in Canada.

I don't think so. I think it comes out Thursday, which might be why it says that date.

duckroll

So I recently saw Road to Perdition and the ending itself really reminded me of the final scene in 91 Days at the beach.

And Fango is definitely "inspired" by Gyp in Boardwalk Empire, right down to how they first try to assassinate him when he's getting dominated by some mistress and the assassins fuck the job up, starting an open turf war.

There is nothing original about 91 Days at all. It's a hollow love letter to a bunch of mob stories in popular media, all of which are probably better than 91 Days itself.

"All for nothing"

zulux21

To wrap up this thought, I'd say this is the softest AnimeGAF has ever been in terms of allowing a diversity of opinions to flourish in the thread. I'm not saying that further improvement is not possible, but I do think it's at a pretty good place right now.

I will say, I do indeed get made fun of less for saying SAO is an enjoyable show or saying that MAL recommendations aren't a bad place to check if you are just looking for something similar to what you just watched.

I mean obviously you guys still make fun of me for that stuff, but it's far less than it used to be lol.

In other thoughts I really should watch some anime. im not sure what I want to watch in general :/

should i watch chaos;child?

I think it's at least worth checking out to see if you like it. The pacing is pretty quick and despite that, not much has actually been explained or a plot hook introduced yet, but it's dropping enough hints in a tense enough setting to keep me interested and watching.

Mailbox

I didn't see it posted anywhere here, but with all the bad news about Crunchy's mismanagement, its still good news that the HTML5 for Crunchy is now in beta.

Is Episode 2 of Scums Wish not out yet? For some reason I can only access episode one, though it's telling me episode 2 came out Yesterday (January 18th). It shouldn't be an Anime Strike issue either since it's not in Canada.

Yeah, thats weird. The listing is there, but you can't play the video.
Odd. Maybe thursday or friday will yield something.

ibyea

Banned
Wellp, that situation with Crunchyroll is very unfortunate, and it is a shame that the company is throwing people who built up the company under the bus. Anyone have any ideas how it will affect service?

ibyea

Banned
And Fango is definitely "inspired" by Gyp in Boardwalk Empire, right down to how they first try to assassinate him when he's getting dominated by some mistress and the assassins fuck the job up, starting an open turf war.

There is nothing original about 91 Days at all. It's a hollow love letter to a bunch of mob stories in popular media, all of which are probably better than 91 Days itself.

"All for nothing"

I didn't think anything was original, but I personally definitely found it enjoyable in terms of pure entertainment. And you are right, that ending is too good for the show, haha.

zulux21

Wellp, that situation with Crunchyroll is very unfortunate, and it is a shame that the company is throwing people who built up the company under the bus. Anyone have any ideas how it will affect service?

it likely won't... like at all?

they fired some people, but they hired a bunch of other people.

we don't know how many they hired but they are calling it overall a net gain.

so unless the 17 people they fired were way more skilled than the new people, it's unlikely there will be any significant change to things.

it's just as likely to get better as it is to get worse at this point *shrugs*

to be fair either way I expect crunchy as we know it to be gone in a year or two, and it to be fully shifted into VRV if it is even any sort of success (which they say the early signs are good)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom