• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: anime insecurity, being driven out for having an unpopular opinion, etc.

Look, if I would feel insecure about anime, if I would want to 'fit in' with my tastes, then I would have a big problem. Let's remember that in the anime community at large series like Mahouka or Sword Art Online or Naruto are the popular ones. Should I feel being driven out of the anime world because I don't like these series? No.

Personally I don't feel insecure about my choices of what I like because I know there are reasons I can identify and arguments I can make about them, that's my 'one weird trick', even when I have an unpopular opinion, I can be happy with it because of that; but I know lots of people IRL that doesn't seem capable of articulating reasons of why they like or dislike something. I suppose that's the difference?

People should actually feel glad that people like series like SAO or Naruto or UtaPri or Free!!, they keep many people in the anime industry paid and employed, Cant really say the same for commercial failures that people consider good.

Ascheroth

Gurren Lagann - 26 and 27
I said I'd give this show a 2 if
Nia died
but... WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!

10/10. Will we remember this for years and years to come?

Yeah, Gurren Lagann is an unforgetteble ride. Still my #1 favorite anime of all times.

Now watch Gundam Build Fighters, Majin Bone or Danball Senki!

You know I went into this expecting the worst (based on a few opinions here) and actually thought it was really good. I loved the atmosphere, the reveals, the samurai action. Just makes it hurt more that it's behind Amazon's stupid Strike Channel. I refuse to pay 5 a month for such a shitty library. Might just wait till the end of the season, drop 5 for a month and then cancel again until they have no stuff for later on.

Do people find the air dates in the OP useful?

I'm never quite sure if keeping it updated weekly benefits whomever might use it.

And would having a "best of last season" section that the community decides on an addition that people would like to see?

I think the bolded is a good idea, especially in a case like mine where I haven't had as much time as I used to and it would be a good way at a glance to see animeGAF has liked recently.

Twin star exorcist 40

Wow this was one of the best looking episode yet! Great action! The love tease were on point and the so was the comedy. Rokuro and Benio are one of my favourite anime couple along with Sakura/Syaoran.

Ushio and Tora 6

This was such a great episode which hit all the great emotional notes for me. The little Tatsuya was so lovable, I mean seeing him cry was heart breaking and then seeing him go threw his fear to save someone was awesome. Ushio and Tora moments were on point too! Great action! And that happy teary eyes Ushio at the end made my tear up a little.

Next I tested the new ps4 app from Funimation and it's not good visually and it's kind of confusing at first, which is a bad sign. But once I got how it worked it was fine. The streaming is much better now. The quality seemed better and I had no buffering at all.

Koro sensei quest 1 eng dub

Super funny and it made me remember how much I like the characters. That 8-bit style opening 1 is also ace.

All out! 11 eng dub

Probably one of my favourite episode yet. It featured my 2 favourite characters from the main team and it was quite funny. Seeing Gion reactions to things is always fun. The dynamic between them and the 2 other brothers were great!

Cornbread78

Scum's Wish ep.2
teeqcNM.jpg

Not as uncomfortable as ep.1 at all, and the childhood friend is placed where she should be, however...... DAMN THAT ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could kinda see it coming, but I didn't think it would be
reciprocated?!? If this continues, get SD Burton on the phone!
WOW..... Was not expecting that turn of events...

if anyone wants a hint at what just happened: https://i.imgur.com/PoE1gXf.png

HOLY SHIT .. I can't wait until next week.

This show has such a unique tone to it and I love the presentation style..

Twin Star Exorcist 1-20

This show doesn't have the best animation, some of the episodes are paced weird which dampens emotional impact, and the story itself isnt the deepest, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy watching this

I was initially worried that the premise of the show, having these two kids work together as one, would be ruined for the sake of propping up the boy as the typical all-important protagonist with demon abilities, but it looks like they're doing a solid job balancing these two themes. The romance angle is pretty cute, Benio finally promised to stop crying in the middle of battles (lol), my girl got herself a new pair of legs and new Twin Star abilities have been developed, so I'm looking forward to more teamwork battles.

Ready to get started on the second half!

Cornbread78

Masume-kun's Revenge ep.3
Well, that hit a lot of good notes right there. I mean, despite the plot, this was a pretty well done episode full of good comedy (even if slightly tropey) and good relationship developments between the characters. I laughed waay too hard at some of the stupid jokes in here. Also, that ending scene, yeah, we all knew where this was headed, but that was pretty damn good and it fits in line with what Yoshino wants to do..

Joke of the show:

"What is a way to say 'your mom has an outie' in English?"

OdF2cPz.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
People should actually feel glad that people like series like SAO or Naruto or UtaPri or Free!!, they keep many people in the anime industry paid and employed, Cant really say the same for commercial failures that people consider good.
I dunno, you could still dislike 50 Shades of Grey even though it kept paper makers and bookstore workers employed for the brief moment it was super popular. lol

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcist 1-20

This show doesn't have the best animation, some of the episodes are paced weird which dampens emotional impact, and the story itself isnt the deepest, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy watching this

I was initially worried that the premise of the show, having these two kids work together as one, would be ruined for the sake of propping up the boy as the typical all-important protagonist with demon abilities, but it looks like they're doing a solid job balancing these two themes. The romance angle is pretty cute, Benio finally promised to stop crying in the middle of battles (lol), my girl got herself a new pair of legs and new Twin Star abilities have been developed, so I'm looking forward to more teamwork battles.

Ready to get started on the second half!

Yeah, the show does nothing great, but it is a lot of fun to watch. This week the best episode yet aired, but I'm sad that we are down to the final 10 episodes now...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I dislike fast food and consider it junk even though it's a cornerstone of our economy.

Two different things really.

blurr

I don't really get the maid obsession in Japan so I hadn't been interested in it very much albeit this is produced by KyoAni so I can't say I wasn't keen on the sakuga.

Line_HTX

I think the air dates are very useful. Gives a good idea of what are off days so I can backlog old shows if anything, usually Tuesdays.

Yeah, the show does nothing great, but it is a lot of fun to watch. This week the best episode yet aired, but I'm sad that we are down to the final 10 episodes now...
8* the show is 48 episode no? We really need that new OP NOW!!!

Also while I agree this week's episode was one of the best, I would have to say that the episode where Shimon goes all badass and full fire mode is my favourite and that the
Yuto vs Rokuro
is still the best.

In light of having serious discussion I thought this video was pretty insightful. Not sure if I agree it's super spot-on but it is a fairly good explanation on what's up with SAO and why it's popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfi6hUPJpe4

Gigguk, behind the snark and jokes, actually makes some really well thought out videos that address many things that are even brought up here. I enjoy his content and even some of his videos are applicable to other entertainment mediums like movies and games.

Haly

whats it called when a laser beam cuts through something, pauses then explodes

it happens in the rebuild movies a lot

i love it
I have no idea but I call it the delayed explosion. It's just a very old anime visual trope.

https://sakugabooru.com/data/e28075356a8fdd5e3cc586ad3fe8a1a0.webm
yENEtIN.gif

Actually, considering that the Nausicaa scene with the god warrior was done by Anno and this particular effect was later frequently reused in Evangelion I wouldn't be surprised if he invented it. Does anyone know of an earlier instance? Maybe something from Getter Robo or Astroboy?

Cornbread78

8* the show is 48 episode no? We really need that new OP NOW!!!

Also while I agree this week's episode was one of the best, I would have to say that the episode where Shimon goes all badass and full fire mode is my favourite and that the
Yuto vs Rokuro
is still the best.

Should be exactly 50 episodes as was announced once the show started airing last year.

blurr

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon 01-02

Not sure if I'm not finding it funny enough or if all the screenshots I've seen on twitter killed the jokes. I'm inclined to believe it's the latter so let me stick around with this show a little while longer.

Also, that's a really fun OP and ED.

Cornbread78

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon 01-02

Not sure if I'm not finding it funny enough or if all the screenshots I've seen on twitter killed the jokes. I'm inclined to believe it's the latter so let me stick around with this show a little while longer.

Also, that's a really fun OP and ED.

If a fun show (enough to put a smile on my face), but I'm not finding the comedy hard-hitting or LOL stuff just yet.

phaze

Yuasa's second film for this spring, Lu Over the Wall, has just been announced with a snazzy trailer. Opens May 19.

2: The Tatami spiritual successor, Yoru wa Mijikashi Aruke yo Otome; and this newly announced family film, Lu Over the Wall.

He still has some unnanounced TV show right ? With the Flip Flop guy.

Akiba's Trip 01

Pretty decent actually, some great animation and the script so far is pretty tight and self aware in all the right places. Warrants further exploration.

Captain Earth 22
We Evangelion now ?

Planetes 16
We Evangelion now.

Yeah it really conveys the otherworldly power of the Angels.

I always associated it with Gainax/Evangelion but in hindsight it really was probably due to Anno's influence.

You can see the general philosophy of 'delay the impact effect' all over FLCL, which makes sense since I think it shares alot of Eva's staff.

Haly

You can see the general philosophy of 'delay the impact effect' all over FLCL, which makes sense since I think it shares alot of Eva's staff.

I also remember an instance of this in The Big O but I can't find it cause sakugabooru doesn't have a lot of Big O stuff.

This is the Gundam equivalent:
gundam-colony-drop.gif

It's a shame there's no catchy name for this like "itano circus".

I liked the manga just fine (though I kinda lost the plot once more characters got introduced and it became about inner monologues) and the premise is soul-crushingly relatable but the anime adaptation is really good. Probably my favorite show of the season along with MaiDragon and LWA

it gives me this feeling when watching it

tumblr_me8kmdwWrv1qh2d04o1_400.gif

not for everyone but its for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom