• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile in Jojo

jXpv65c.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know how the noseblood trope originated - just tried to do some Internet searching about the subject and couldn't come up with anything conclusive. It does seem to be rooted in genres aimed at boys and men, from shounen manga such as Dragon Ball and Ranma 1/2 to even works featuring females getting nosebleeds such as the Maria Holic example that you mentioned.
Yeah, those 90s shows is how that trope made it into my subconscious, even if I didn't understand the metaphor at the time since I was like 10. lol

Pretty sure this has more to do with the shows that you specifically watch than anything else. Galko is not pushing obese character designs or anything that really falls out of the norm.
I mean I watched like 15 shows last year, so sure. But all I have to do is look at the anime charts each season to see what the main characters look like.

tuffy

RahXephon ep.20

I'm surprised they jumped past wverything that happened in ep.19 and Ayato didn't spend any time reflecting on it. So, how the hell did
his friend cross over when Ayato did using RahXephon? If it wasn't hos golam he just destroyed, whose was it?
Also, how is
Mishima now materialized & visable, plus
now part of his old team? WT....
As to the second part, think back to the beginning of the series when Ayato's classmates didn't know who Mishima was until after she showed up in class. Or try to spot what's unusual about this quick panning shot of Ayato and Mishima, also from episode 2:
That should be a bit of a hint.

Yowamushi Pedal New Generation Episode 2 – What Makishima Left Behind

Teshima sometimes feels OoC, however, I think I like his new role as captain.

Im glad we get sports series that go to year two, hoping Haikyuu!! does the same.

Cornbread78

Blue Exorcist S2 ep.3
Lots of drama here, but I like the extra depth to the characters this arc is adding. feels much more natural after just watching how the events unfolded in the original broadcast series.

It's deliberate but it still looks bad.

I dunno, there were certain shots where I felt it really worked, and other times when it just felt far too rough and 'unfinished.' it did also bother me though when there were shots where the line art then wasn't rough and instead looked more "clean" like we see in other anime. That inconsistency felt odd to me.

From The New World Episodes 1-6(? I think? I just sort of let the DVD go on by itself while grinding in Hyper Dimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 or whatever)

My wife put me onto this series. I think we got in during one of Right Stuf's big sales at one point. She loved it when she saw it, but I'd never seen it. So I've been using her copies to give it a try. I was instantly hooked thanks to all the crazy psychic violence and the mystery of how the world come to be the way it is in the show. I was a bit surprised when we actually learn a massive chunk of the world's true history so early on, and I don't know that I'm quite as interested in all the rat people stuff, but it's definitely an enjoyable watch so far. Just made it to the
Time skip
so I guess I'll see how I feel about that going forward next time I have time to get further in. Dunno when that'll be though. One of our cats developed an eye problem and despite having medication to fix the ulcer, there's still some swelling on his third eyelid. Probably going to have to take him in tomorrow before it gets worse.

Also been rewatching Gundam Wing while working on my Gunpla Models. Daisuki only has it in Japanese (and I'm too lazy to set up a TV/DVD Player in the dining room) so it's more background noise than anything. What I find interesting though is how easily I remember the story. I'm not really watching it, but if I glance up I tend to more often than not know what's going on just catching a few seconds. The funny thing I don't even like Gundam Wing (Just rewatching as part of my ultimate Gundam Marathon). I've only seen it twice, once when it first aired and then later when I got it on DVD and realized "holy crap, teen me had awful taste."

But it was always cool.
When I first saw it I was under the impression it was looked down upon and frequently accused of being a Eva clone. I hadn't actually seen/finished Eva by the time I watched RahXephon.

I ended up liking it more than Eva because I found the fights, story, characters and the way their world operated a lot more interesting.

I watched the first half of And you thought there is never a girl online? and I'm enjoying it. The relationship between Rusian and Ako tries to be sweet and the humor mostly hits. I wish there was more scenes with the in game graphics.

Also, fuck normies

Narag

I watched the first half of And you thought there is never a girl online? and I'm enjoying it. The relationship between Rusian and Ako tries to be sweet and the humor mostly hits. I wish there was more scenes with the in game graphics.

Also, fuck normies

image.php

Now that's a book I haven't read in forever.

Is Crunchyroll working right now? Every other page is giving me an error, but I just did a format so I'm not sure if my computer's just wonky right now.

Eylos

Banned
My cruchyroll app is giving erros sometimes, bad connection etc.

OK gundam episode nothing big, just making terrain for the next episode

Jarmel

Banned
I dunno, there were certain shots where I felt it really worked, and other times when it just felt far too rough and 'unfinished.' it did also bother me though when there were shots where the line art then wasn't rough and instead looked more "clean" like we see in other anime. That inconsistency felt odd to me.

I was wrong earlier in my initial impressions. It doesn't look like a show from the mid 2000s but rather something from the cel era. Not a good show mind you from the pre-digital time period but a crappy one where you can tell background and character animation are on physically different levels. The character animation looks like it's on a separate layer from the backgrounds and they don't mesh well at all.
4doCv8g.jpg

This is not good.
The line art is largely to blame as it seems like the directorial staff tried to match the game's artwork however in the show it's inconsistent, off-putting, and blurry as fuck most of the time. There's very few cases where it actually looks good and instead is distracting most of the time.
In the above shot for example, I can seemingly actually see the white from the paper used to draw Catalina, around her hair tips?!?!? Gran looks fine but her model literally looks unfinished. On top of that the line art makes a number of the action scenes look even worse than they would be otherwise.
The shots in the show are really static, presumably due to the line art and shading which isn't a good thing for am action TV show. The action sequences are noticeably stiff, again something out of the cel era where character's tended not to move as much. The line art exacerbates motion issues such as earlier with the lizard where he's just floating up and down and I'm having difficulty paying attention to the scene because I'm just distracted by the obviously bad line art. It's not just the line art though, the photography is just really lacking and questionably even putting in the bare minimum of effort. This may be a design decision, although I don't think all of it is, but it looks exceptionally bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom