• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

Konosuba S2 - 3

Another good episode with plenty of laughs, Aqua proves she can be kind of useful and Megumin has the best scenes despite being absent for most of the episode.

And Darkness finally returning next week?

I've entered into a J-Drama / K-Drama blackhole and I cant get out. Havent caught up on any anime yet because of them. I blame Netflix.

You're never coming out of this hole you've fallen into.

Oh man, have you caught the super old Winter Sonata fever?

Nope but I'm wrapping up Good Morning Call and Boys Over Flowers on Netflix. I need more recs! I know we had those old J/K drama threads but they dont look like they got much activity anymore.

You're never coming out of this hole you've fallen into.

I have started to fantasize about having rich chaebol heiresses treating me like shit and then falling in love with me.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 1

This is perhaps the most Shinbo-esque I've seen Takemoto be. His work on Hyouka had some flair with symbolic imagery that could have been derived from Shinbo's style, but here it feels really obvious. The stark coloring and shading in the flashback to Kobayashi meeting Tohru and Tohru's dream feels straight out of Tenamonya Voyagers or SoulTaker. Even the quirky OP feels similar in spirit to, say, the Poni Poni Dash OP, albeit with much better production values since this is KyoAni after all.

VY1zgVH.jpg

This little transition card felt like something you'd see in Hidamari Sketch.

Just finished Madoka Magica

Forgot how heavy duty this shit gets. The ending gets me every time. (well the 2 times I have watched it)

Some of the best music and amazing animations.

In other news, the only shows I have been keeping up with have been DRRR and Gintama, what new shows should I check out?

I should mention I have watched through Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans already so I don't need that rec! (great show btw)

Aki-at

I have started to fantasize about having rich chaebol heiresses treating me like shit and then falling in love with me.

Does said fantasy come equipped with the disapproving mother/father in law that'll kick your ass or have you not reached that level yet?

Roadhog is still absurd in Overwatch.

It's why he's my main.

Also almost no plays Sombra, and if you are one of the few people who does, people will yell at you for it.

Nothing wrong with that at all..

I could really use a shopping spree in the morning then fly to another country on a private jet for dinner. Its been one of those weeks.

I think thats why I like these dramas so much, despite the ridiculousness, melodrama and cliches. The escapism.

Does said fantasy come equipped with the disapproving mother/father in law that'll kick your ass or have you not reached that level yet?

I'd like to avoid the torture montage if possible. I'm old and wise enough where I dont need to overcome pain for growth :p

I'm watching Boys Over Flowers and holy shit dude nothing but awful stuff keeps happening to the lead. Its like "how can we ruin this girls life even more?" every episode. The bullying and sexual harassment is on another level.

Quasar

More fun Maid Dragon facts:

• Tohru is way more a jerk in the manga. For example, she yells at Kobayashi to complain about the noise (instead of the other way around). She's also a lot more rude towards the neighbors.
  • Kobayashi is more limp / apathetic in the manga. They gave her more of a bite in the anime.
  • She's less concerned about Kanna and is a bit more shameful.
  • She doesn't ask Kobayashi about calling her friends to the party (lol)
  • Compare her reaction here (manga) to here (anime)
  • They cut this moment entirely

I kind of think shes a NEET not a maid.

Andrew J.

Konosuba S2 03

An episode focused strongly on Kazuma and Aqua, but their skills, and their relationship, have developed enough that it doesn't feel like a retread of early season 1 episodes.

This episode had a bit more sincere sentimentality than usual, and balanced it out with a extra helpings of Kazuma meanness after Keele's problem was resolved.

Cornbread78

Akiba's Trip ep.4
Got a couple chuckles out of this, but not as good as the past couple. Akso, why are the older female professors loli's in this show?

Just finished watching the last episode of The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Really really fun series that I recommend to anyone who's never seen it, or even heard of it. I honestly think it's up there with Konosuba (which was more black comedy) in being the funniest show from last year. Loved the main character and especially how his dry humor played off of the supporting cast. Majority of the gags hit the mark and when the series went for more "heartwarming" moments, it stuck the landing.

Shun Kaido was also the best character. JUDGEMENT KNIGHTS OF!

tumblr_oa6ndnqvVr1tfz4gto1_400.gif

KraytarJ

Gundam IBO 3
I'm getting some major Aldnoah Zero vibes from this show. Is it going to grow out of that? Because what I've seen so far is not promising in the slightest.

Cornbread78

Oda Nobuna ep.3
Man, this episode had a pretty hardcore tone to it for the most part. I know they really want to push how tough of a situation Nobuba is in, but sobething almost feels off with the high drama and quickly formulated love plotlibe with her and the MC. Granted, sone of the scenes are pretty cute, but 0-60 shipping is interesting, lol.

kewlmyc

Konosuba S2 03
Totally forgot about this chapter in the LN. It's nice to see the gang actually participate in dungeon crawling. Nice sentimental moment with Keele as well.

Cornbread78

So what is the name of that harem mecha anime everyone says is baaaaad?

Also, is Gargantia any good?

Saw a clip and it looked interesting. Might watch it with Death Parade when I finish Nobuna.

Saw a clip and it looked interesting. Might watch it with Death Parade when I finish Nobuna.

Gargantia is pretty good.

It's not the greatest or anything but I enjoyed it enough and think it is worth a watch

Narag

Gargantia is good when taken as a tale of societal integration with bonus robromance. Less so as a scifi mecha show.

duckroll

In a thread where people are happy to watch so much garbage, I'll say Gargantia is pretty damn good.

If this thread were just me and Jexhius sitting in a tree though, yeah it's mediocre stuff.

Quasar

I liked Gargantia quite a bit, a change for me given I'm generally not a urobutcher fan.

Bummed the second season never happened. Reminds me I have to look for the book one day.

Not sure what anime you are referring to. I guess some people might call various Macross harem mecha anime.

Interviews with Monster Girls 1

Hmm, it's okay. I think its humor is lacking a bit, but I did enjoy how frank the teacher was in his questions regarding the sensuality of vampires.

So I got 5 days left before the Top Anime awards voting closing. I'm going to try to power through Haikyuu before the deadline. I've never watched it before so I'm starting from the beginning.

Twin star exorcist 41

This episode started soso, but the later part! Tatara! You epic beast! Also best villain boy is back! This is good.

The new OP is cool too and god those last few seconds...the teaaaaasssseeee! I love it.

Now good bye social life! Berseria is here and it's too good. Laphicet must be protected.

Syrinx

Bungou Stray Dogs 12

Didn't feel like a season finals as much as a setup to a second cour. Port Mafia boss and the gang are going to have some interesting encounters.

Dragon Maid 3

Last week I wondered how everyone would live in that tiny ass 1 BR apartment. This week they moved to a bigger one.

I did it.

Konosuba S2 3

Yeah, Aqua attracted all those undead to you. She's also the only reason you walked out of the dungeon with any money, so stop your bitching, Kazama.

BoJack Horseman S3 2

Went too over the top with the 2007 references. Like the change to the end song tho.

Cornbread78

So I guess I'll give it a whirl then soon.

Wanted a fun harem to watch without a bunch of ecchi scenes so I could watch at work, but that woukd be tough.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom