• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

You mean the burial? It's literally the first moment of the episode. Not sure why you'd read impressions before watching if you're worried about that also, I started the post with the episode number.

No I mean the
deaths of _______ and _______
. I heard shit went down last episode but I had been trying to keep myself ignorant because I wanted to experience the shock firsthand so I didn't know what went down. I wasn't even actively reading the post I just saw the first line just by scrolling down and by then it was too late :/

Not the end of the world and what is done is done but I just felt I should comment

I did find Sukeroku's death a little too melodramatic, but that's just me. It didn't kill the series or the characters or even the impact of his death on the characters for me, but it was a bit much.

Sukeroku's death as presented in episode 12 feels fishy, and for good reason. The second season will come back to this.

Nah. I'm pissed because of
the deaths of several beloved characters
, but there's none of that. The actual show has been pretty damn good.

Ah, so that was it. I thought the show had finally done it like I thought it would, haha.

If that's how you feel now, be thankful Tomino isn't the one behind this show because there'd probably be more casualties in that regard.

Narag

Sukeroku's death as presented in episode 12 feels fishy, and for good reason. The second season will come back to this.

May have to start S2 sooner than I thought.

Speculation;
Going to guess Kiku lashed out in anger and was responsible for their deaths, possibly indirectly, and we were the victim of the unreliable narrator. It'd explain why he was so utterly haunted by Sukeroku

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I did find Sukeroku's death a little too melodramatic, but that's just me. It didn't kill the series or the characters or even the impact of his death on the characters for me, but it was a bit much.
It's supposed to be like the rakugo stories, and the information is told in that manner. They're living the modern rakugo story that Tsuburaya(?) wants to write...

Cornbread78

Penguindrum ep.7
"Seduce Tabuki into tapping Ringo"

Holy shit, lol. I lost it at that line, as well as the whole from scene with the
penguin eating the eggs...
Ringo's "moment of delivery" reaction face (the frog's as well, lol) was hilarious stuff.

Jarmel

Banned
My position is that Akko, Sucy, and Lotte are barely characters at all – they're all one note. If the characters in your series are underdeveloped this is a problem because a) we can't care about characters we don't know b) the series lacks the dynamism and entertainment generated by having a cast of characters that bounce off-of each other.
They have though, all three episodes have had the cast 'bouncing off each other' to some extent or another. The first episode was largely about Sucy screwing over Akko/Lotte. The second one was more focused on the Diana/Akko interactions and the third one is sort of a mix. I don't find the character interactions to be lacking to any serious extent. As for caring about the characters, the TV series is a notable step up compared to the OVAs. The writing has modified certain elements such as Akko being more of an outsider and loser compared to the TV series which makes the audience pity her more. Diana is less haughty for example and so it's seemingly easier for people to say root for her in certain scenarios. Is this some shining beacon of character work? No but it's done a decent enough job so far of giving reasons why people might root or care for certain characters.
Probably, as people have pointed out, we'll learn more about these characters as the show goes on. I'm sure that's on the cards, for the series but really I think that should have been the priority for these first three episodes. Instead of developing the characters, these first three episodes have largely been devoted to meaningless fluff. I think they've gone about it completely the wrong way.
I don't think the bolded is particularly true as they've introduced a number of concepts and items that they'll almost certainly come back to later. The cards, the rod, and the broom are probably going to be recurring elements. We've seen outside the school such as with the magic shop. The limitation of the magic range due to the Sorceror's Stone is most likely set up as well. They've also reintroduced a number of characters and the audience has a somewhat decent idea about their characters even from the little time spent with them.
Now I'm not saying that LWA TV needs to tell its story in the exact same way. I'm just saying that it's perfectly possible that they could have done a lot more than they have done up to this point of the. It really is not as outside the realm of possibility as some people were suggesting in the tone of their posts.

That's fine to point out I guess but it feels more like you're somewhat dinging it for something it's not rather than what it is.

faridmon

Penguindrum ep.7
"Seduce Tabuki into tapping Ringo"

Holy shit, lol. I lost it at that line, as well as the whole from scene with the
penguin eating the eggs...
Ringo's "moment of delivery" reaction face (the frog's as well, lol) was hilarious stuff.

I have dropped this show midway through. Couldn't handle all its themes and dark tones while presenting it with cute and upbeat artstyle.

I know that that is the whole point of this show, but I guess Ikuhara stuff isn't for me.

Cornbread78

Death Parade ep.2
Like seeing an
alternate view of what happened in the first episode
. It's really easy to miss some of those clues when you first see something, but that was well done.

The closest IBO has come to magic so far is exactly how sentient the Gundams in it is kind of up in the air.

Even still, it's something that's probably gonna remain in the background.

ibyea

Banned
Bungo Stray Dogs: 17-24
I got a kick out of the show presenting the people based on American authors. It's more fun because I can recognize most of them. I was disappointed by Mark Twain and Edgar Allan Poe though.

So, I finished season 2. They did a really great job with Atsushi's characterization, and with the whole concept of "stray dogs" who had nowhere to go given a second chance. The four episodes flashback at the beginning of the season, while feeling disconnected, was well placed as I think it gives so much weight to Dazai's actions in the present, especially towards the end.

So, the concept was really silly, so at the beginning I didn't have a lot of faith in this show, but ended up enjoying the show a whole lot.

Narag

Bungo Stray Dogs: 17-24
I got a kick out of the show presenting the people based on American authors. It's more fun because I can recognize most of them. I was disappointed by Mark Twain and Edgar Allan Poe though.

So, I finished season 2. They did a really great job with Atsushi's characterization, and with the whole concept of "stray dogs" who had nowhere to go given a second chance. The four episodes flashback at the beginning of the season, while feeling disconnected, was well placed as I think it gives so much weight to Dazai's actions in the present, especially towards the end.

So, the concept was really silly, so at the beginning I didn't have a lot of faith in this show, but ended up enjoying the show a whole lot.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and that phaze was pushing it on people at one time. #phazewasright

Spiritpact Episode 3
C3YasmvXUAAw05o.jpg:small

Ritsu is much better than Tanmoku though, I guess it doesnt matter since Tanmoku is already taken.

In any case glad this is actually turning out to be as advertised. Pretty fantastic too since the grandmother is all over both of them making them practically a couple.
C3Yf3d_XAAAE_ks.jpg:small
C3Yf3d_WEAEcqRX.jpg:small

KraytarJ

Yuri on Ice 7
Well that was quite an episode. Seeing Victor and Yuri's relationship grow from Victor failing to read what Yuri needed to succeed to Victor "congratulating" Yuri after seeing him use his signature move to surprise him was damn effective. The supporting cast was a pretty fun backdrop with "good guy" Russian and a little too exuberant Swiss guy. Yet again I'm excited to see where the series goes from here because next up is Victor returning to Russia and the battle of the Yuris.

Aki-at

ClassicaLoid - 16

Trying to have a Yakuza break and find Beethoven in Kazuma's suit, come on please don't remind me I'm not playing the game!

Had a few fun moments through out but I'm missing the extravagant MUZIK! moments from recent episode. Still its off the wall humour keeps me satisfied.

Branduil

I feel like the elephant in the room regarding LWA is the original OVAs. This works both for and against it. On the one hand, it gives the series a huge amount of goodwill it might not otherwise have. On the other hand, since it's currently retreading a lot of the same ground as the OVAs, it may be easier to miss the characterization and world-building that has occurred.

I dunno Ojamajo Doremi had a different set up and premise and I distinctly remember not caring all that much about those three girls in the beginning either. In fact I found Doremi to be actually annoying in the first three episodes.

Course it had 50 episodes to fill out those girls and make them interesting.

I'm sorry, do you not remember how the very first thing Doremi did after getting magical powers was wishing for a steak? How could you find her annoying after that?

Well, remember that it's a story being told by Yakumo to Yotaro and Konatsu. We can't take every single thing as being the complete truth. And the way Sukeroku dies does feel suspicious, especially considering how Konatsu had believed that Yakumo was responsible for it.

HEYBOT! Episode 17 – Where There's a Screw, There's a Bonehead
C3YnQnAXAAA1ofC.jpg:small
C3YnQnCWQAIqvO0.jpg:small

Legit first time a skit in Heybot made me laugh in tears, why is Nejiru so dumb for this episode, and why is the knockoff Heybot imposter so funny, the screw moment and this this, lol

Syrinx

BoJack Horseman S2 9

And so begins the end of season downward spiral for BoJack. This may be the worst of them all since PC has gotten him back on his feet more than you can count and that support may not be there anymore.

Narag

BoJack Horseman S2 9

And so begins the end of season downward spiral for BoJack. This may be the worst of them all since PC has gotten him back on his feet more than you can count and that support may not be there anymore.

Buckle up.

Finally posted my AOTY. I wanted to get some more shows done but didnt have time.

1. Haikyuu
  2. Rakugo
  3. Kuromukuro
  4. Mob Psycho 100
  5. Euphonium S2
  6. Flip Flappers
  7. Gundam IBO
  8. Phantom World
  9. Erased
  10. Kabaneri

Bungo Stray Dogs 20

Hiroko Utsumi's storyboard was quite strong, probably one of the stronger non-Igarashi storyboards in the show. She got some great use out of the stark visual symbolism latent within Igarashi's directorial style, including a really good windows shot:

As she continues her post-KyoAni career, I hope to see her do more work like this, with or without Igarashi.

Atsushi continues to become an ever more compelling character. The way his struggles with inadequacy and the unwanted nature of his gift are reflected in the characters around him - Kyouka, Lucy, even Q - serves to accentuate and enhance the thematic material of the series.

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On Episode 16 – Avinia's Secret

Finally were actually adventuring outside of the village. Incredible how fast it turned to a snowy terrain from a really lush forest.

Dragon Ball Super 76

Krillin may be a scrub, but deep down in all of our hearts he's the #1 scrub in our hearts which means Yamcha never stood a chance for that role either. Also I'm not going crazy am I? It looked like they redid the death by Tambourine to look more modern.

Next episode continues to tie things with GT. So as much as folks want to pretend that isn't canon we now have
Bulma getting pregnant with her second child, presumably the blue haired daughter

Bungo Stray Dogs 21

They just punched out Cthulhu. With the help of a bomb and gravitons.

Dazai and Chuuya's awkward partnership was pretty entertaining to see in action.

Narag

Kizumonogatari I: Tekketsu-hen

Positives first. Loved how stylish it was and how all the internal monologue of the book was replaced with atmosphere bordering on ethereal. OST really stood out as well and this is from someone that usually has to have Geneijin point out which shows have good OSTs.

What I had problems with was the first time I tried to watch it, I shut it off within 15 minutes due to being bored. I looked up which chapters this covered, read up until then, and found it held my attention far better this time around. I don't want to call this a "for fan's only" type of movie but I found myself wondering how much oh his characterization was reliant on the other works or their respective adaptations. I knew very, very little about him going in and didn't really find anything there enough to grab me on that first attempt. Getting to know him through chapters 1-6 filled in all sorts of blanks for me and let me appreciate the film's atmosphere in peace.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 (Subtitled) Episode 28 – Night Before the Battle! Pegasus's Secret

Yami Bakura and Pegasus using their eye and ring was the best in the yami no game.

Anyway, tempted to watch more forgot how the Glory of the Kings Hand and Glory of the Kings Opposite Hand plot got resolved.

Syrinx

Bungou Stray Dogs End

With help from Dazai and each other, Atsushi, Arutagawa, and Kyouka make major strides in finding their self-worth and justification for continuing to live and move on from their pasts.

Igarashi can still go.

Narag

Bungou Stray Dogs End

With help from Dazai and each other, Atsushi, Arutagawa, and Kyouka make major strides in finding their self-worth and justification for continuing to live and move on from their pasts.

Igarashi can still go.

This made me laugh far harder than it ought to have.

Hmmm, maybe I should give Bungo Stray Dogs another shot.

I watched the first episode, and despite some decent direction, felt kinda put off by the characters.

ibyea

Banned
Hmmm, maybe I should give Bungo Stray Dogs another shot.

I watched the first episode, and despite some decent direction, felt kinda put off by the characters.

Honestly the first two or three episodes are off putting. But then episode 5 makes major strides, and episode 13 to 16 are just masterful.

Gundam IBO 2 #16

I'm sorry. I really am. But when the scene happened I laughed my ass off. I mean besides the
flags
and how obvious it was, I still managed to laugh. I'm a bad baaad bear.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Season 1 (Subtitled) Episode 54 – Last Duel! Team Satisfaction

A spinoff all about the time with Crow, Kiryu, Jack, and Yusei on Satisfaction during the early days of Satellite would have been amazing. I love their teamwork and friendship. The backstory in brief was pleasing but I wanted a lot more.

Quasar

Kizumonogatari I: Tekketsu-hen
. I don't want to call this a "for fan's only" type of movie but I found myself wondering how much oh his characterization was reliant on the other works or their respective adaptations. I knew very, very little about him going in and didn't really find anything there enough to grab me on that first attempt. Getting to know him through chapters 1-6 filled in all sorts of blanks for me and let me appreciate the film's atmosphere in peace.

That's kind of the trick with prequels isn't it. Do you assume people have consumed the material in published order or write it so that it works as story one of the narrative. That came up with Star Wars too.

Cornbread78

Oda Nobuna ep.7
This episode was kinda slow as they introduced a couple new characters; obvious set-up for future events.... Not much else happened outside of that, lol.

Sterok

Little Witch Academia 4

Funny how Lotte almost becomes likable when she's given something to be passionate about. Speaking of likable, remind me why we're supposed to like Akko again? She's still worthless at magic, and all she seems genuinely talented at is dragging her friends into trouble. And she skipped out on a potentially good lesson. Anyway, I do find the idea of a story told throughout the ages with a magic pen to be interesting, but it seems like the entire thing just became a big mess at some point with no clear vision, (because there's so many authors that probably never talked to each other) so I can see why a lot of people aren't fans of it. Lotte not wanting to become like her idol makes for a nice contrast with Akko, but it just reinforces her passiveness, which is the main reason I don't care much for her. Also, who was GreatBen? Diana? Or one of Amanda's friends? Something I'm sure will come up in future episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom