• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

errr what?

I don't know of this monster strike that is a weird pinballish game o_O

granted I don't pay a huge amount of attention to gotcha games since terra battle showed me how they could do it right. but still :p

It's a huge thing, not just in Japan. I'm pretty sure 8-4 worked on the English localization too. I mean, I think the game sucks too, and Terra Battle is the truth, the way, and the light, but still.... it's a big deal!

zulux21

It's a huge thing, not just in Japan. I'm pretty sure 8-4 worked on the English localization too. I mean, I think the game sucks too, and Terra Battle is the truth, the way, and the light, but still.... it's a big deal!

I see... well still sticking with it doesn't seem to be a really big deal in NA as it has under a million installs on google play meaning it has less than terra battle, a game which I think sadly was never a real big deal :(

I mean I can believe it makes good money. Just never had heard of it.

I don't think I have even seen an add for it, while I have seen tons of puzzle and dragon (and the walking dead) ads.

duckroll

I see... well still sticking with it doesn't seem to be a really big deal in NA as it has under a million installs on google play meaning it has less than terra battle, a game which I think sadly was never a real big deal :(

I don't think I have even seen an add for it, while I have seen tons of puzzle and dragon (and the walking dead) ads.

Terra Battle is combined worldwide, Monster Strike English is separate from the JP one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.mixi.monsterstrike&hl=ja (don't look at that number lol!)

T-Rex.

Banned
i'm really not sure if you are talking about
Mixi’s Monster Strike, Niantic’s Pokémon GO, or Sony’s Fate/Grand Order

well I don't think grand order has been released in the US at least.. if it has I need to download it.

I don't know monster strike at all...

and pokemon go has released in a good chunk of the world, just not fully worldwide yet (and never truly will be, but I am not including places it is banned like china in the not fully released yet)

edit
where pokemon go is released
aka I know you aren't talking about that one, but still wanted to point out it didn't have a full release yet despite launching 6 months ago :p
Yeah I was on about FGO. You can download it off the QooApp on Android if you want to try it out.

nothingstopsthistrain.gif

zulux21

Terra Battle is combined worldwide, Monster Strike English is separate from the JP one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.mixi.monsterstrike&hl=ja (don't look at that number lol!)

Ah I see. that makes some sense. and 10-50mil makes more sense as well for it's profits.

since we are semi off topic with anime mobile games anyways does the fate game have an english release announced at all?

though, while I know there is some hype around that one I don't know if it is for the "plot" or the gameplay :p

Just T

Ajin: 16-17

Man, Nakano can be a bit much at the times but show still going strong. These training scenes have been pretty good overall and Kei seems to be changing just a little bit. That last scene in the latter episode with the guy and Kai was pretty dope, guess he'll be trying to join in soon but how much help he will be is another story.

Jintor

Toradora 11 -rewatch-

Back to school, culture festival, zzz.

KcsOrPK.jpg

Ami's true self showing through again

In an earlier episode Ami mentions that Taiga can be cute when she's jealous; here Ami is slipping through instead. Ryuuji tries to bring up Minori's UFO metaphor to her, just to start a conversation, but she totally blows him off again before it can even get anywhere. Then we move into the meat of the episode...

Ryuuji and Taiga are linked by their father issues, but with Taiga's dad actually trying to get in contact with her, her problems takes center stage for this arc. Ryuuji talks a bunch of live-and-let-live he's-your-only-father stuff which stems partially from him not knowing, as usual, what will tick Taiga off more than usual and I think partially from the fact that he never knew his own father. Taiga maintains the rage.

Again, Ami takes a role in kickstarting the emotional heart of this arc's plot by nominating Taiga as the class's pageant entry. At this point it's actually hard to tell if it's out of malice, it's Ami's twisted way of instilling self-confidence in Taiga, or (more likely) both at once.

Back to the father plot...

y6NLI0n.png

The first unambigulously and direct adult problem in the series rears its head

Whereas everything that comes before is pretty much teen drama to the max, Taiga's dad cutting off her living allowance (actively stealing from her account) is an incredibly dark move (illegal in my local jurisdiction actually; not sure about Japan). Ryuuji can't see what the big deal is yet, so Taiga foists the task of negotiation onto him. Good smash-cut which skips a bunch of expository dialogue into a line.

ZUH5OG4.jpg

What a seedy piece of work

plgsCNh.png

Although Ryuuji remembers it differently.

Ryuuji returns to find Taiga washing up, but in a combative mood nonetheless. Importantly you never see her eyes in this scene; just the back of her head or she's totally off-camera, even as she argues with Ryuuji, right up until:

She leaves the water running and leaves silently. The LN and manga have some stuff in there about Ryuuji thinking about how selfish she's being, but I think it's more powerful in the anime not to dwell on it just yet. Nonetheless, this scene is really striking, I think - it's her unbridled frustration that Ryuuji is being reasonable, trying to see both sides of the story and indeed giving her dad even the time of day. Why? He should be 100% on her side, right? Logically unreasonable, but it's exactly what I'd argue Taiga should be feeling at this stage of their relationship.

We jump back to the culture festival which has two really good gags:

5USSR4J.png

Minorin's appearance for the rest of the arc, and

EwMjgtb.jpg

Taiga 'practicing' wrestling moves with Ami

Back to the serious stuff...

MrhAJAD.png

Shade, light, his smallness... lots of stuff here.

xbxdvxk.jpg

Not that Taiga gives a shit, of course. Notice Ryuuji's empathetic hand position.

Taiga's dad gets about a 3 second profile shot walking towards Taiga and Ryuuji before getting kicked in the gonads.

The next scene is insanely powerful. A couple of things straight up:
  • Taiga explicitly says she expected Ryuuji to be 'the one person on her side', but on seeing what Ryuuji's trying to argue, asks "What do you know about me?"
  • Taiga attempts to reclaim her decision to move out, something she earlier said she regrets, and reframe it as her rejecting her father
  • Ryuuji realises that he's pushing his own father issues onto Taiga and immediately tries to apologise

zWw3VcH.png

This moment I've not experienced myself, I hope

The scene also gets a lot more 'drama physical' than Taiga/Ryuuji scenes usually get, with Ryuuji basically slamming her against the door to lecture her. Some really amazing voicework here.

Again, as soon as Taiga accepts Ryuuji's realisation, her face is cut out of all the shots henceforth until later. We see her hands playing with Ryuuji's face and the back of her head as she steps, zombie-like, towards her dad.

nEY8RBp.png

Come to think of it, you don't see a lot of shots of his face and when you do he's exceedingly bland in appearance

Ryuuji's narration attempts to convince himself that this is a good result, but can't quite manage it.

That's enough for today, methinks; I'm all analysed out.

Jarmel

Banned
Toradora 11 -rewatch-

Ryuuji realises that he's pushing his own father issues onto Taiga and immediately tries to apologise

Something I really liked about this arc and going forward to a large extent is how it fleshes out Ryuuji through his father issues in that he's trying to live vicariously through her. This is really the first time where we see a lot of his own character flaws, besides the joke cleaning stuff. It also serves as a strong way of connecting Ryuuji to Taiga through both of them being abandoned children essentially.

Cornbread78

I thought of the kind of story you should write.

Think Bonnie & Clyde as a theme.

One in a fantasy setting with childhood friends on a journey to clear their name. Then a seperate book set in a modern setting between two coworkers, kind of a Jerry McGuire parody.

I'll post plot details later

Jintor

I thought of the kind of story you should write.

Think Bonnie & Clyde as a theme.

One in a fantasy setting with childhood friends on a journey to clear their name. Then a seperate book set in a modern setting between two coworkers, kind of a Jerry McGuire parody.

I'll post plot details later

That sounds good, but if you could get a generic harem going as well that'd be sick. I also kinda want to do an inverse reincarnated-in-a-world thing or something, like, Log Horizon from the NPC's perspective of a bunch of fucking endlessly reincarnating weirdos who show up in some ruins and then beat the shit out of all the wildlife in every direction.

The only thing I have at the moment is my old "I can't believe Satan is my little sister" dealie. (The gist of it was that protag accidentally summons a demon princess as his new little sister but because summoning is limited by imagination in this world and he can't imagine a grim pitiless world of demonic warfare, instead the princess is trapped in a romcom. Shennanigans ensue. I never really got further than premise on this one.)

Jintor

Something I really liked about this arc and going forward to a large extent is how it fleshes out Ryuuji through his father issues in that he's trying to live vicariously through her. This is really the first time where we see a lot of his own character flaws, besides the joke cleaning stuff. It also serves as a strong way of connecting Ryuuji to Taiga through both of them being abandoned children essentially.

Yeah.

I really like how Ryuuji is simultaneously being super reasonable in trying to hear both sides of the story, and yet also severely fucking it up due to just how much he's projecting his own father issues onto Taiga (and utterly failing really to even try to understand Taiga's perspective, or even asking her. Of course Taiga isn't helping at all, but the focus is more on Ryuuji for this arc)

Cornbread78

Has anyone stepped up to put together an OT for this show yet?

meh

a wet cloth on a brick has more of an enjoyable relationship than
nagisa and main character from clannad :p
it's the supporting cast and the events outside of the super boring relationship that make that series great.
:p

I just, well, ya know, umm, idk, Nagisa x Tomoya 4 lyf!

/XX/

Glad to see In This Corner of the World has been a success. Sometimes good art can't be denied.
And just by people spreading the word after the first screenings. Amazing.

You know, I'd like to think that Masao Maruyama could have taken this experience as a 'pilot project' to test crowdfunding as a viable alternative to attain necessary financing for The Dream Machine, but meanwhile he recently helped establish another studio even though Mr. Maruyama said that MAPPA was created with the purpose of finishing Satoshi Kon's posthumous opus. I'm concerned and don't quite understand yet how he can cope with so much incomplete tasks put on his shoulders at his age, but for sure is commendable!

Interesting fact: Kyoto Animation actually animated a short film for Happy Science a long time ago, before they began producing their own TV series.
Sometimes, I like to revisit articles about some of their other subcontract work (before their own productions) that raito-kun wrote, while I wait for his glorious return:

Kyoto Animation's subcontract work – Part 1 | Ani no Miyako
https://aninomiyako.wordpress.com/2012/02/05/kyoto-animations-subcontract-work-part-1/

Kyoto Animation's subcontract work – Part 2 | Ani no Miyako
https://aninomiyako.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/kyoto-animations-subcontract-work-part-2/

DiGiKerot

And just by people spreading the word after the first screenings. Amazing.

You know, I'd like to think that Masao Maruyama could have taken this experience as a 'pilot project' to test crowdfunding as a viable alternative to attain necessary financing for The Dream Machine, but meanwhile he recently helped establish another studio even though Mr. Maruyama said that MAPPA was created with the purpose of finishing Satoshi Kon's posthumous opus. I'm concerned and don't quite understand yet how he can cope with so much incomplete tasks put on his shoulders at his age, but for sure is commendable!

Maruyama has also said on several occasions at this point that there's no-one working in the industry that he thinks is capable of complete The Dream Machine to a satisfactory standard, and that the amount of work that had been previously reported to have been done on the movie is generally over-estimated. It's probably a lost cause that people need to give up on at this point.

Please watch monster strike anime. Its great.

Just T

Ajin: 18

Great episode. Izumi had some nice scenes with the stalling and fight, wonder how her backstory is about to be. They got a problem now with Tosaki though and Satou is still making his moves fast, Kei going to have to come through with something. Also, that blonde lady really has it rough, shit was sad.

Taruranto

So I told myself "It's only 5 episodes. You are finishing Erin and you are finishing it now!"

2 hours and 30 minutes later...

The Last Guardian 45-50

So yeah, Erin. There are a lot of good things to say about Erin. It's 50 episodes (not so) epic tale in a beautiful and grounded fantasy world that doesn't take place in a MMORPG. (I mean, there are giant lizards and dogs, but there is
no magic
and everyone wears actually sensible clothes!). It has a lovely, if not a bit repetitive, OST (Shout out to Birds of the Dawn and the various instrumental versions of the OP). It generally knows what it wants to tell and has no time for stuff fanservice.

There are some bad things to say about Erin. The pacing is abyssal. Can't say I minded it much, except for the first episodes that were zzzz. I don't mind slow stuff. In a sense, it works, the show is first and foremost the story of a girl, her growth and her giant wolf-pigeon. But it doesn't change that probably more stuff happen in <insert your favorite anime here> than in 25 episodes of Erin. It actually takes like 25 episodes for the title to become relevant! Like 30% of the show is flashbacks, 10% is about poison, the rest is actually story.

There is also an obvious attempt to make the show more kid-friendly (I think it's pointless to deny that the show target audience was children, especially when stuff like this appears after the final episode), as a result the show completely forgets about "Show, don't tell" and literally explains to you what is happening on screen. There are two terrible comics relief characters and several (anime original?) characters that are horribly heavily handled.

So, Erin. It's a good story. I enjoyed it. It could have been better, I probably would not recommend it to most people given that I know people find From the New World first 10 episodes slow.

Some random comments:

- Erin's VA. According to Mal Erin was her first and only anime role. She was FINE as kid Erin, but she had serious problems during some scenes as adult Erin, mostly the long speeches.

- Nugan was absolutely pointless

- The romance. I was looking forward it because the characters had very good chemistry, it's 50 episodes and it would have been interesting to see the lead character become a mother and a wife, but sadly for all the anime the only thing that managed to hold Erin's interest were her pigeon-dog hybrids.
They skipped directly to married Erin in the ending and they don't even show Ial again. Meh!

- This only adapted 2 novels. There are two more left. I mean, the story is conclusive enough, but me thinks if you are going to make a 50 episodes series, you should adapt everything! There were probably budgetary problems and whatnot involved, but meh.

7,5/10

This upload doesn't include the OP staff, but that's got to be from Mamoru Hatakeyama himself. It uses white backgrounds like his Sankarea OP does, it emphasizes the smooth linking of shots like both his Sankarea and Rozen Maiden OPs do, and it features the record needle motif that his Rozen Maiden ED did. I'm glad about that, since while the first Rakugo Shinjuu OP had its charms, especially the excellent song, I wasn't as taken with it visually as I was with Hatakeyama's past OPs or this new one.

Cornbread78

So I told myself "It's only 5 episodes. You are finishing Erin and you are finishing it now!"

7,5/10

This is the one that is by the author of Moribito, correct?

It's been on my PTW list for a long, long time now. I almost fear that I'll never get to it..

Just T

Ajin: 19

Yep, Izumi has a pretty sad backstory. Also they should have left Nakano to wait somewhere because he is either messing up or being unnecessarily noisy, working Kei's nerves.

Dave1988

My Little Mage Can't Possibly Be This Murderous ep. 01

A pretty good first ep. Gonna be pretty interesting to see a show whose protagonist is a ruthless loli psycho fighting for the glory of Nazi Germany the Empire.

blurr

Hi animegaf i think I might actually stick around this season since I didn't even make to the wall of shame last season. Damn.

I'm seriously considering writing a light novel lol. Not sure why. I've just been looking at a bunch of shit and angrily thinking to myself "I can do that but better. Why aren't i?"

damn, watch Girlish Number while you're at it

Man I really don't like Toradora.

Why does it seem like the entire anime fanbase think its a good romance story when it is no different that Familiar of Zero or any other tsundere Kaguloli romance story.

does it have an epic fight sequence between two girls who have a crush on the same guy

e_i

My Little Mage Can't Possibly Be This Murderous ep. 01

A pretty good first ep. Gonna be pretty interesting to see a show whose protagonist is a ruthless loli psycho fighting for the glory of Nazi Germany the Empire.

I read a little of the light novel and there's lots and lots of internal monologue, which they can't translate to the anime. Also, author references the Stanford Prison Experiment.

Cornbread78

Fuuka ep.1
MCTvF9g.jpg

Ok, that was a pretty strong opening IMO. However, that ending.... I ALREADY know where the drama is going to come from and where the story is heading.... I'm pretty sure the story is going to be a mix of White Album 1 and 2 mashed up. Oh yeah and speaking of wearing no clothes in front of family members; two in two days, but in reverse this time, lol.

Oh well, we'll have to see how they present the story, but it's unfortunate that you can pretty much already see where they are going and all of the potential conflics that will arise from his childhood friend and now
super idol
and his new "girlfriend..."

Also, stay away from any online anime boards if you want to remain unspoiled, be cause the wink wink/ nudge nudge to events in chp, 30 of the manga is pretty ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom