• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Seiren Arc 2
oqeyM2j.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
THEY ARE ACTUALLY PLAYING GUNDAM VERSUS AGAINST GRADE SCHOOLERS LMFAO

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This anime has a Seinen tag on MAL, so I assume the manga was published in a Seinen magazine? The way it's narrated seems more like it's Shoujo though, which is kind of a bummer.

You could say one is kind of spoiled by something like Oyasumi Punpun, which sometimes delivers the most complex of emotions with a single picture or close-up, but I'm not going to complain. I'll do that when I finish SW :p
Yeah, I saw, but it really feels like it's sitting comfortably in shoujo trappings. In a reductive sense, it's a lot like Ping Pong in that it uses the narrative ticks of the genre it is referencing in order to convey actual character motivations rather than exposition. I think it works as a co-option of shoujo, but it also feels like something that's probably better to read than it is to watch.

You know, it reminds me of Fences, where you just get these long Denzel Washington monologues and the camera just moves around because he didn't know what else to do to make a monologue look visually exciting. Except Denzel is an amazing actor, so you can at least feel something when he spends 5 minutes talking about his character's life in depression era America, while in this anime, you're getting voice actor line readings and cartoon faces (or the actress trying her best to put on a stoic face while looking at a point behind the camera in the case of the live action adaptation).

jett

D-Member
Been binging Death Note.

I was really enjoying this until episode 16~17, then a twist happened that completely changed a character and my overall outlook for the show along with it. Mehhhhhhhhhh.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2, Episode 17:

Overall, I think this was one of the better arcs that IBO has done.

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 1

Time for these new magic girls to whip up some delicious food in the newest show in the franchise. Op is okay. The Cure designs are going to take time to get used to. They look like they belong in Tokyo Mew Mew. A plucky girl protagonist. Good to see that they're mixing things up. Is magic going to be public this time? It looked like it's going to, but Maho Girls also hinted at it before reversing course. Ichika is okay right now. Not great or bad. Though she got gloomy for a bit, so that's something. Good to see her trying to make that cake even if she sucks at it. The live action part was weird though. Pekorin is okay too. Gummy's normal form looks to be a fairy. No monster of the week yet either. Transformation is okay. But getting magic energy from a cake that Gummy just let her finish was weird. Fight was meh, but I liked the heavy use of non-stock footage magic. Whip has super hearing and moves a bit like a rabbit. I approve of more specialized powers and fighting styles. Catchy Ed. Okay start overall. I'm looking forward to the others for sure.

Scum's Wish 1-4

I figured you would be all over this show once you discovered it. What makes Scum's Wish work, at least for me, is that it has thoughtful, sensitive, low-key direction that avoids loud melodrama for quiet tension and self-reflection. If it had the grandiose, emotionally extravagant direction of, say, Ano Hana or Sound Euphonium season 2 it would be unbearable. What makes me skeptical about the show is that, unlike Flowers of Evil, I'm not sure Scum's Wish has anything to actually say about the nature of these relationships aside from exploiting their pain for our entertainment. It's always one step away from the Jerry Springer Show, and only the deft hand of the director has been able to hold the show back from that by attempting to ground it with a certain measure of human empathy. We'll see if he can manage to keep that going through to the end.

KraytarJ

Hanamonogatari
Kanbaru gets her second arc, and it was all right. Compared to some of the stellar stuff second season offered it fell a little flat. The growth Kanbaru herself went through in this arc paled to say Nadeko in Nadeko Medusa, and the overall theme and tone of despair and perseverance was far less interesting than Tsubasa Tiger. While emotionally it wasn't nearly on the level of Shinobu Time, or as consistently engaging as Hitagi End. On the whole it was nice to have an arc centred on Kanbaru but I'm not sure she's quite as interesting a lead as most of the rest of the main cast.

Finally though I'm through second season after months, mainly due to not really care for the time skip arc. Now I can move onto something else, and it's probably going to be more monogatari.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I figured you would be all over this show once you discovered it. What makes Scum's Wish work, at least for me, is that it has thoughtful, sensitive, low-key direction that avoids loud melodrama for quiet tension and self-reflection. If it had the grandiose, emotionally extravagant direction of, say, Ano Hana or Sound Euphonium season 2 it would be unbearable. What makes me skeptical about the show is that, unlike Flowers of Evil, I'm not sure Scum's Wish has anything to actually say about the nature of these relationships aside from exploiting their pain for our entertainment. It's always one step away from the Jerry Springer Show, and only the deft hand of the director has been able to hold the show back from that by attempting to ground it with a certain measure of human empathy. We'll see if he can manage to keep that going through to the end.

I agree that there's a general restraint to the direction - you can see it in the sex scenes, which feel pathetic more than erotic. Although the crying can push it over the edge at times, since frustrated, emotionally disappointing sex is yet another one of those tropes you see when you want to portray a dysfunctional relationship.

I'm hoping it builds up to a subversion of a learning moment for the main characters - it would be the only thing that makes the whole exercise worth it to me. I guess implicit to that is that I hope it ends properly, whether the manga is still going or not. (Based on past history, at the very least the Jdrama should definitively end, so there's that I suppose)

I agree that there's a general restraint to the direction - you can see it in the sex scenes, which feel pathetic more than erotic. Although the crying can push it over the edge at times, since frustrated, emotionally disappointing sex is yet another one of those tropes you see when you want to portray a dysfunctional relationship.

I'm hoping it builds up to a subversion of a learning moment for the main characters - it would be the only thing that makes the whole exercise worth it to me. I guess implicit to that is that I hope it ends properly, whether the manga is still going or not. (Based on past history, at the very least the Jdrama should definitively end, so there's that I suppose)

If all this builds up to is a subversion of a learning moment, then it likely will end up a worthless series.

At any rate, the Scum's Wish manga is ending this spring, and Fuji TV announced that both the anime and the live action drama will be adapting the entire manga.

Taruranto

(Scum's Wish)

After trying the manga, the anime is definitely an improvement. Too bad the material seems to bore me, which it's weird given that it seems full of terrible people, I usually love these things.

I'm curious whether the live action drama goes as far as the anime goes in the bedroom scenes. I mean even by Western standards, this sort of stuff would be a little heavy if it were being acted by real people.

Line_HTX

C37GYr9W8AAzS4j.jpg

Sentai with 40% off on all their sports anime which also includes Sabagebu for some reason, lol

I really wish there was another American football anime. I don't know if anything could top Eyeshield 21, but one day. I highly doubt All-Out would be an appropriate substitute because of different rules though, haha

Qurupeke

Interviews With Monster Girls 5

I think I've kind of start to lose interest in it. Too SoL for me and the show is a bit disappointing in the visual department, especially when there's Maidragon this season.

Thud

Sentai with 40% off on all their sports anime which also includes Sabagebu for some reason, lol

I really wish there was another American football anime. I don't know if anything could top Eyeshield 21, but one day. I highly doubt All-Out would be an appropriate substitute because of different rules though, haha

You should watch All Out anyway.

Grexeno

Saga of Tanya the Evil 04-05

Tanya is literally going to win a world war by trying everything in her power to get a cushy desk job.

KraytarJ

C37GYr9W8AAzS4j.jpg

#BI GAME

Dropped, lol.

Thanks for the warning, DTL.

There were red flags from the beginning.
Don't just look at the negative comments lol, what episode are you on? Like I said in my other comment season 1 is slow, but season 2 is very strong imo. So unless you really dislike it, dropping it because DTL likes it seems silly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If all this builds up to is a subversion of a learning moment, then it likely will end up a worthless series.

At any rate, the Scum's Wish manga is ending this spring, and Fuji TV announced that both the anime and the live action drama will be adapting the entire manga.
The thing is that relationship drama is just better handled elsewhere, by virtue of being about adults and not teenagers and people who might as well be teenagers. For me anyway, most of the enjoyment comes from playing with the form rather than the actual content itself.

Like I just watched a show on Netflix about a Black Christian Londoner who is so afraid sex because of her god-fearing mother that she doesn't know how birth control works and refuses to use a tampon. (Incidentally, it also has the self-narration, but done in the now in vogue fourth wall breaking form)

I just don't think Scum's Wish is going to approach that level of damage and introspection, outside of perhaps the teacher.

But at least it's ending, so that's good. I still have no idea why Fuji or whomever would pay to have both a live action and anime airing at the same time though.

sasuke_91

Yeah, I saw, but it really feels like it's sitting comfortably in shoujo trappings. In a reductive sense, it's a lot like Ping Pong in that it uses the narrative ticks of the genre it is referencing in order to convey actual character motivations rather than exposition. I think it works as a co-option of shoujo, but it also feels like something that's probably better to read than it is to watch.

You know, it reminds me of Fences, where you just get these long Denzel Washington monologues and the camera just moves around because he didn't know what else to do to make a monologue look visually exciting. Except Denzel is an amazing actor, so you can at least feel something when he spends 5 minutes talking about his character's life in depression era America, while in this anime, you're getting voice actor line readings and cartoon faces (or the actress trying her best to put on a stoic face while looking at a point behind the camera in the case of the live action adaptation).

I agree. The medium, in this case, is definitely a restriction to the style of narration. They could have changed this aspect or approached in another way, but I don't mind it the way it is right now.

And while we're comparing this to Ping Pong, I really hope this delivers the way Ping Pong did :p

The thing is that relationship drama is just better handled elsewhere, by virtue of being about adults and not teenagers and people who might as well be teenagers. For me anyway, most of the enjoyment comes from playing with the form rather than the actual content itself.

Like I just watched a show on Netflix about a Black Christian Londoner who is so afraid sex because of her god-fearing mother that she doesn't know how birth control works and refuses to use a tampon. (Incidentally, it also has the self-narration, but done in the now in vogue fourth wall breaking form)

I just don't think Scum's Wish is going to approach that level of damage and introspection, outside of perhaps the teacher.

But at least it's ending, so that's good. I still have no idea why Fuji or whomever would pay to have both a live action and anime airing at the same time though.

This is probably going to have some sort of happy ending in order to satisfy the audience as well.

Quasar

I assumed simply that there's an audience who won't watch animation. Which is kind of weird given Japan.

Yamishibai s4 06

Hey more evidence Japanese ghosts are total bullshit that are just dicks for no reason. I'm not even sure what happened here.

There's a girl in a white outfit and long black hair (of course) and she's on the opposite side of the train station and when the train goes by she teleports, and then covers your eyes and asks "Guess who" in the same voice of your senpai but its not your senpai and then you forget who your senpai is and who you are and then you just cover your eyes saying "Who am I" forever? Did I get all that?

Fuck all ghosts.

Cornbread78

3-gatsu ep.16
Wait, is Rei enjoying hinself? What is this madness? Hopefully this new Rei continues.

Monster Girls ep.5
Well, snow-chan's social awkwardness is now
cured by Sensei?
What a nice sensei he is to help out all the demi girls.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I assumed simply that there's an audience who won't watch animation. Which is kind of weird given Japan.
I guess my question is why this property in particular. Is the manga extreme popular and they want to give it a final push before it disappears from bookshelves? Like even the Arakawa Under the Bridge people waited for the anime to be over before pumping out the live action version. lol
(Then there was the one season where they decided to put a live action Moyashimon in the noitaminA block... because film is technically animation since it's 24 frames per second spliced together, right??)

Based on the numbers, you'd think someone would want to make a live action Bakemonogatari or a live action Your Name first.

I agree. The medium, in this case, is definitely a restriction to the style of narration. They could have changed this aspect or approached in another way, but I don't mind it the way it is right now.

And while we're comparing this to Ping Pong, I really hope this delivers the way Ping Pong did :p
Ping Pong proved that you can take the tropes and forms of a genre and use them as tools to create something that goes beyond watching teenagers play a sport, so here's hoping.

This is probably going to have some sort of happy ending in order to satisfy the audience as well.
I'm okay with a "happy" ending if doesn't rely on expected pairings. But then again, Japan is fond of high school romances lasting a life time. :p

So you're saying that style is better than substance?

Anyway, I don't believe adult-centric narratives are inherently superior to teenager-centric narratives (and obviously you don't either, or you would be watching Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu).

Narag

Anyway, I don't believe adult-centric narratives are inherently superior to teenager-centric narratives (and obviously you don't either, or you would be watching Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu).

No greater proof that firehawk's love of Kobayashi is fraudulent.

Gundam IBO - 42

Couldn't help but jump in joy when Mikazuki just absolutely destroyed the opposition when Orga non-challantly just said "crush them" after they begged for their lives like the little snakes they were. They had it coming.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I don't expect substance out of anime anymore, so there's that. *too lazy to look up shrug emoji*

I just don't know if Scum's Wish aims to be anything more than an examination of damaged people trying to manage damaged relationships, and I'm fine if it doesn't try because I don't expect it to.

You know, I'm sure someone has written a story about an Ainu teenager who is struggling with his cultural, racial, and national identity in a homogeneous society that rejects his very existence, so it's not like I think teen stories have to just be your standard high school (melo)drama. I just don't think someone will ever make an anime about that though.

I don't expect substance out of anime anymore, so there's that. *too lazy to look up shrug emoji*

I just don't know if Scum's Wish aims to be anything more than an examination of damaged people trying to manage damaged relationships, and I'm fine if it doesn't try because I don't expect it to.

You know, I'm sure someone has written a story about an Ainu teenager who is struggling with his cultural, racial, and national identity in a homogeneous society that rejects his very existence, so it's not like I think teen stories have to just be your standard high school (melo)drama. I just don't think someone will ever make an anime about that though.

I think you have a perverted idea of what "substance" is.

Narag

I think you have a perverted idea of what "substance" is.

AnimeGAF discord is working on legislation to regulate usage of "substance" much like how we plan to restrict the usage of "deconstruction" without a demonstrable background in the works of Jacques Derrida or "feels" without having read W.K. Wimsatt and Monroe Beardsley's essay The Affective Fallacy.

AnimeGAF discord is working on legislation to regulate usage of "substance" much like how we plan to restrict the usage of "deconstruction" without a demonstrable background in the works of Jacques Derrida or "feels" without having read W.K. Wimsatt and Monroe Beardsley's essay The Affective Fallacy.

Sounds good.

Joe Molotov

Watched Vampire Hunter D. Good shit, but just some funky dialogue and then didn't like the love stuff. Beautiful imagery and great use of music.

Despite it's flaws, Vampire Hunter D is still one of my all-time favorites. I just wish Sentai had included the original Streamline dub on the Blu-Ray.

jett

D-Member
Death Note update:

JUST ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU

It was hilarious seeing that shit. You know, this show is pretty awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom