• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Tales of Zestiria the X - Episode 17

I found this episode really, really, really satisfying. What "annoyed" me in the previous episode was that it felt like Slay was going out of his way to be the "no killing" do gooder in every story of this sort, and he would stop her from killing the target and then explain why it is all better for everyone. I'm glad that didn't happen here.

I love how it wasn't Slay who stopped her blow in the cliffhanger, and even after that he didn't stop her when the dude went all monster powered. But the most powerful scenes were the ones after where I realize that their depiction of Slay is not to be some all righteous perfect pacifist who reprimands those who do something differently. His acceptance that he doesn't know if what she did helped people or not, but acknowledged that she did it with the best of intentions, while reiterating that for him personally killing is wrong, is a viewpoint I can totally accept. It makes him a stronger character in my eyes, and closer to a proper depiction of a Christ figure than the shallow one where he knows what is best all the time and doesn't consider other viewpoints.

So now with Rose's character arc mostly over, hopefully we get more details on the other party members and Alicia soon. :)

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 17

Well that was easy. Jasley had no way to deal with Mika, let alone all the named pilots. Even Hush got to be useful. Barbatos has a super tail now. That's certainly proving its worth already. Nice commitment to being ready to kill all the enemies, even if they can sympathize with their plight. That historically hasn't gone well for Tekkadan. Iok the Brave gets a timeout. Viva la revolution! Full steam ahead to mass chaos.

Tonton

Let's see...

ACCA - This is hit or miss for people depending on if you can handle REALLY slow builds. It doesn't seem like things are moving in most episodes but I think people saw that it was about intelligence agencies and thought it would be like a not-sucky Joker Game but it's way more about the subtle day to day of his operations that are all leading towards something. So if you want a bit more movement, it may not be for you but it certainly has the slow build down pat.
Well people always complain about trails being slow to happen anything and i absolutely love it so i guess i don't mind slow builds too much :p

Akiba's Trip - A trash show that has no right to be as entertaining as it is. No one expected much from it so to find out it's actually pretty fun with some good action scenes and animation in it's own lowbrow way is a pleasant surprise. I'm finding it worth a watch even if it's not setting off much brainpower to watch.
I actually watched the first episode for that, felt like fun trash so I'll probably give the rest a try

Ao no Exorcist - More of the first half of the first season, less of the second. So...more faithful and more of the same. If you liked First Season you'll like this.
Never watched the first one should I give it a try?

Demi-chan wa Katarai - Likewise, a lot of people are liking or disliking it based on expectations. It's a very "nothing" Slice of Life where it just explores the lives of these monster girls in this school, but the "monster" aspect is relatively tame, looked at from a more "realistic" view and there isn't a whole heck of a lot of progress in a main plot or anything. What some describe as "comfy" but even people who like SoL are finding it kinda whatever. I like it fine.
I think the only SoL i watched was Flying Witch, which I liked could i get some of the same here?

Kemono Friends - Aw, it's so cute and possible about a post-apocalyptic humanless world? I dunno, people seem to be enjoying it and hinting at deeper underlying shit.
Hmm i think I'll pass on this until it's finished then depending on reception i might pick it up or not :p

Maidragon - Yo, this show is the bomb. It took an enjoyable manga and adapted it into a gorgeous experience. The humor isn't working for everyone, but the hints to darker themes take this Slice of Life show a little farther than most would expect as it seems to deal with loneliness and past trauma right below the surface. Also, yuri dragon.
Yeah honestly the humor isn't working with me as much as I'd want but I still enjoyed what there is so I'll keep watching

Konosuba - As funny, if not funnier than the first season. Must watch. Kazutrash best MC. Fucking with your isekai expectations and not even trying.
Actually already started this, didn't mention it because it's a second season so it wasn't new new

Scum's Wish - You're already watching what is in heavy contention for AOTS so good.
yeah this and konosuba are what i'm enjoying the most so far for completely different reasons of course lol

Little Witch Academia - I never saw the shorts so my view might be different than others but I really enjoy this so far. Just a really upbeat tone for amazingly fun animation and artwork, silly premises and just...I dunno, it bursts with fun. It doesn't have as much characterization or deeper writing for some people but I never really was expecting it so whatever amount we get is fine for me. Fun witches learning about magic in a fun witch school. Fun fun fun.
I watched and liked the shorts so I was planning on watching this but I was under the impression Netflix would only update everything at once when it was done so I didn't start, is that not the case?

Rakugo - It's more Rakugo, why aren't you watching it, what the fuck is wrong with you.
Yeah I'm really excited for it I was even avoiding this thread to not get any spoilers from impressions I don't know why I didn't start it yet, can't even say i wanted something more lighthearted first since I watched Scum's Wish already lol

Youjo Senki - Better than you'd figure, honestly, even if it makes some questionable design choices. Tanya constantly fucking things up is entertaining as hell and the show constantly takes the piss out of itself so you never really watch it and think "Man, Japan sure loved Nazis, huh?" Sometimes the animation can be wonko or you'll stare directly into her subordinates face and lose your faith in God, but those moments are between some other good shit so it works out. Bit divisive here I guess, some people are liking, some think it's trash, some like it cause it is trash, who knows.
Honestly a bit turned off by the chara design but I guess I'll give this a try

As for other shows, they're either not worth following or I'm not watching/caught up on them so other people can field them like Masamune Revenge or Tales of Zesitiria.

This is...actually a really good season for me so far.
That's quite a bit already thanks for your input

What's good among the new shows this season? I already picked up Scum's Wish, Gabriel Dropout and Maidragon and been enjoying all of them

Here's my MAL so you can judge my tastes(planning on changing from it after that nazi stuff but for now that's all i got)
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/tonton151

Been away from home and good internet for a while so trying to catch up on the returning stuff and some stuff from last season i didn't finish

Hand Shakers

Tales of Zestiria the X - Episode 17
They've given Rose a real character arc and executed well on it? They've given actually weight to her whole backstory and history of killing people? This is so much better than the game.

Though with 7 episodes left I wonder where they will end this because they certainly don't have time to adapt what's remaining, especially if there is more Berseria stuff in this season.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 (Subtitled) Episode 31 – Brutal • Heavy Metal Deck

Im so glad the game doesnt use these rules, Machine type monsters are unaffected by spell cards or magic based attacks, what?

Thud

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 (Subtitled) Episode 31 – Brutal • Heavy Metal Deck

Im so glad the game doesnt use these rules, Machine type monsters are unaffected by spell cards or magic based attacks, what?

Obviously the cards are made up to counter Yugi and the rest. Pretty sure the rules were added in later after the series became popular. In the anime that would be around Battle City.

Then based of those rules they made a trading card game.

Shirke

Does the Zestria anime improve on the game story? Or is it just better watching rather than playing through a mediocre Tales game?

Does the Zestria anime improve on the game story? Or is it just better watching rather than playing through a mediocre Tales game?

It improves on it rather significantly, especially when it comes to a particular character that was awful in the game. Though I don't know whether it will end up adapting the entire story.

God I hope this turns out as good as it could be. The material is great, and with Yuki Hayashi composing at least the music should be perfect. Especially since he apparently started out composing music for ballroom competitions. I'm not familiar with the director, so fingers crossed.

Please be good...

The director was the character designer for Miss Hokusai as well as for Satoshi Kon's ill-fated Dream Machine. He was originally going to take over Dream Machine after Kon's death until those continuation plans fell through. He previously directed the short film Pigtails about the aftermath of the Fukushima meltdown. Pigtails is available with a collection of short films from I.G. in the UK if you're fortunate enough to have access to that.

Tales of Zestiria 17

GOD that forest scenes looked amazing! I love how they made the traversal so dramatic, it made Sorey looked pretty cool. BUT really those Rose moments broke my heart, they developped her character so much more then the game...I mean damn! I was crying there at the end :/

God I hope this turns out as good as it could be. The material is great, and with Yuki Hayashi composing at least the music should be perfect. Especially since he apparently started out composing music for ballroom competitions.

Lol, I didn't know that. So aproppiate then.

Gundam IBO 42

Extremely satisfying to watch Jasley get his shit pushed in, and seeing all the main Tekkadan members just steamrolling, though I wish Hush didn't get wrecked almost immediately. I'm loving Barbatos's new look too (maybe because Washio's Fafner designs are spilling into it?). Everything seems to be getting more wild from here on out, so I'm really excited.

I80Psw2.png

My Hero Academia S1 Thoughts

Well nothing makes me watch a show I was previously ignoring like it ranking high in AOTY. As a whole I'm no longer interested in watching shonen action series that use the same character archetype of weakling with no powers gets introduced to universe, possibly goes to school for said special people, and turns out to have a lot of potential as he slowly grows into the strongest character in the show. That's why something like Jojo works better for me because usually even if they do get stronger they aren't a weakling, they're just not as strong as they could be. In comes Deku from My Hero Academia. He fits the mold of what I dislike to a tee. With one major difference that actually made me reconsider watching: his attitude. The show from the start makes it very clear that being a superhero is more of a business and a popularity contest than actually risking your own life to save others for many of the heroes in the business. Some even just do it for the glory. Deku seems like he came straight out of a comic hero origin story. Bumbling fanboy who has a dream to become a hero with superpowers, but even without them or being on the bottom of the totem pole he risks his life for others regardless of his abilities to do anything. Reminds me of Licenseless Rider in One Punch Man and his whole speech during the Sea King arc. So yeah, I liked his awkward persona vs the more Naruto or Ichigo style of cocky cool looking kid who screams angrily until he becomes stronger.

Alongside him there are other superhero and villain characters. And that's where I have to fault the show. Outside of guys like this dude

9jqdtV7.jpg

Who stole the show with their gag of being friendly yet extremely self absorbed as what essentially boils down to be a gag character, the rest kind of fell flat for me except for two notable exceptions: Bakugo and All Might. Outside of Deku these two got the most screentime so the more development. The rest of the characters were just there for the entire 13 episodes. Yes they are his classmates, but if you're going to make it where they are a class of a few kids who are learning to be superheroes, and you make them tag along in every episode then at least give them some proper development or mini character arc from the get go. It reached a point that some of the guys and girls were just there and said their thoughts over what's going on, yet you didn't really get a more focused scene on them until the final arc of the anime. I mean the girl with the knees who she can send super loud noises we didn't learn about her power until the second to last/last episode. The girl who is the other class rep we only know she can like make materials out of somewhere. And electricity kid we also learn how his powers work only until the end. Same with chicken looking dude. Some are self explanatory like frog girl and the zero gravity girl. But others, like the dude with the weird human tail and the fucking looking Falco dude? I wanted to learn more about them.

And I can only assume this is a fault more of the speed of the adaptation than the actual source material. From what I hear the source material has so much going on and it moves at a fast pace. Maybe on a week to week basis for each chapter this isn't too bad of a pace if it's similar. But on a 1 cour series? This is unacceptable. I wasn't learning about characters who had been there for 9 or so episodes until the very end, and even then I didn't learn shit about many of them quite yet. You end the season with the first real encounter with enemies from the kids and the rest of the show was just essentially Deku getting into the school and going to his first 1-2 days of class. It was slow as hell and many times I wanted to find a 1.5x speed on the video player to speed shit up.

I don't fault the adaptation. I think the voice acting was on point for characters like Deku, Bakugou, All Might, belly button dude and Frog Girl. The rest were ok. Music wasn't particularly amazing, but serviceable. And animation I never really felt it looked bad.

So final thoughts would likely be that I am very much liking the plot and source material, but the pacing left much to be wanting for. To the point that now I'll likely read the manga and then compare S2 to it as I want to see first hand if it's simply a show that works better on a weekly chapter basis vs a 20 minute episode basis. I'd give it an 8/10. I want to watch more so it did its job, thankfully I watched this when S2 is fairly close by.

JulianImp

Arakawa Under the Bridge - #1-3
The mini-chapter structure's a bit odd, and most likely something borrowed from the source material, but it's still an entertaining watch. The way dialog is structured reminds me a lot of Monogatari only with a way bigger focus on comedy, but then again these are just the first few episodes where the cast is still being introduced, so meaningful plot developments could be coming up later.

blurr

Arakawa Under the Bridge - #1-3
The mini-chapter structure's a bit odd, and most likely something borrowed from the source material, but it's still an entertaining watch. The way dialog is structured reminds me a lot of Monogatari only with a way bigger focus on comedy, but then again these are just the first few episodes where the cast is still being introduced, so meaningful plot developments could be coming up later.

It gets really good when a comedic rhythm sets in co-ordination with music, dialogue and visuals.

KING OF THE BRAVES GAOGAIGAR #40 The Children of the Stars.
C37D2nnWEAA-V62.jpg

Seriously, my fav characters are all robo boys :( sad. Though it seemed unclear for Mamoru, is he also 100% synthetic or did I just misunderstand.

An army of Soldat-J's sounded cool, but I wish he were stronger, he and Gai are being beat too much by two of the strongest primeval machines.

Jex

I80Psw2.png

[...]And I can only assume this is a fault more of the speed of the adaptation than the actual source material. From what I hear the source material has so much going on and it moves at a fast pace. Maybe on a week to week basis for each chapter this isn't too bad of a pace if it's similar. But on a 1 cour series?[...]

I don't fault the adaptation. I think the voice acting was on point for characters like Deku, Bakugou, All Might, belly button dude and Frog Girl. The rest were ok. Music wasn't particularly amazing, but serviceable. And animation I never really felt it looked bad.

So final thoughts would likely be that I am very much liking the plot and source material, but the pacing left much to be wanting for. To the point that now I'll likely read the manga and then compare S2 to it as I want to see first hand if it's simply a show that works better on a weekly chapter basis vs a 20 minute episode basis. I'd give it an 8/10. I want to watch more so it did its job, thankfully I watched this when S2 is fairly close by.
This statement seems to contradict with the rest of your review. You specifically highlight that the pacing of the anime was a problem - but then you say it's not the fault of the adaptation? They creators of the anime control the pacing - if it's too slow (as many people have mentioned with regards to this series) then it is definitely a fault with the adaptation.

Ascheroth

Well, let's see: It's an anime adaption of a mediocre JRPG. What would you expect?
Probably that it would range from forgettable to decent.
But you'd be wrong. It's pretty great.

Lol what a typical contrivance just to justify the 'train harder!' motif of shonens in a superhero story.

well yeah, JoJo Part 4 and beyond and One Piece are like the only shonen series where the main characters ability isn't punch hard (Hunter x Hunter, My Hero Academia) spam one ability (Rasengan, Getsugo Tensho, Spirit Gun) or Devil Trigger demon mode (Bleach, Naruto)

This statement seems to contradict with the rest of your review. You specifically highlight that the pacing of the anime was a problem - but then you say it's not the fault of the adaptation? They creators of the anime control the pacing - if it's too slow (as many people have mentioned with regards to this series) then it is definitely a fault with the adaptation.

Should have read that again before posting. I meant it as the opening of that paragraph. As in, I don't think the adaptation is as divisive because of any of the items I listed aftewards as over-all it's ok or strong in plenty of those departments. I fault it for the pacing alone, which seems more like a very specific part of what the anime adaptation would be.

Like Attack on Titan had also a glaring pacing issue but it also loved using 3D environments so that hurt it also visually.

I80Psw2.png

I more or less get your what seems to be your major grip with the series(supporting cast), but MHA is a long runnuing shonen and like any long running shonen the early episode usually revolve around the MC and a few others(in this case Bakugo and All Might). You can't actually expect a 100+ chapter series to developp a whole cast of characters(a huge one in MHA's case) in 13 episodes. Even if the pacing would have been faster I don't really think this would have changed much. I personally think they did well fleshing the 3 characters you mentioned. We have the first 4/5 episode around Deku, then 6-9 are more or less about Bakugo and his relationship with Deku and 10-13 are gradually introducing the rest of the cast and establishing All Might's role. If we did not get a season 2 announcement, *I could get that you would say but if we take the anime alone it's a weakness*, but clearly the rest of the cast(or at least part of it) as at least 13 more episode to develop and probably more.

A good comparison would be like right now I'm watching Ushio and Tora and the 13 first episode revolve almost entirely around Ushio and Tora, with small introduction to the rest of the cast.

Still glad you enjoyed it! Agreed that Deku is awesome, but your review as a major lack of All Might praise!

Jex

[Dragon Maid] 2 - 4

I have found myself enjoying this show more with each passing week. I know it might sound a little silly to some people, but I'm glad that this comedy series established its 'rules' in episode 2. In episode 1 I really wasn't sure what the tone of the series was because Dragons were flying around, apparently in broad daylight, which seemed a little bizarre to me. Yet subsequent episodes established that Dragons could essentially render themselves invisible, which gave me a much better idea of the what the show was going for. Perhaps I need to explain why this makes a big difference for me.

Essentially, if your series involves dragons flying around in broad daylight then you're making a pretty wacky comedy series which isn't particularly 'grounded'. It means anything can happen and there aren't really stakes or consequences for the characters. But if you communicate that isn't the case, then your work has a very different feel because it's taking place in the 'real world' where magical events can happen but are unusual and they potentially have consequences. This was illustrated perfectly in the scene where Tohru uses her magical powers to stop a thief and for a moment it feels like she has jeopardized her relationships with the market-people.

Ultimately, I find that when events and actions have lasting consequences and when stakes exist for the characters, I find myself more invested in them. Even though this is essentially a fairly silly show, there are actual characters at the centre of the wackyness that I want to root for. It doesn't just feel like a series of loosely connected skits - it feels like there's some actual development and growth there which is facilitated by the tone of the series.

I feel like some of this sense of an 'ongoing story' is down to the way the anime has adapted the original material. I understand that in the original, they didn't move into a bigger apartment and many fans of the original work seemed to question why the anime had made this change. I think the answer is obvious - Kobayashi sees Tohru and Kanna as more than mere acquaintances. Instead she's starting to see them as family - which is why she makes the decision to act like they're part of her family and rent a larger place. It's clearly meant to be part of her character development. I wasn't expecting any kind of character growth out of this material based on the premise - but it's actually one of my favourite parts of the series.

Ushio and Tora 16

Best looking episode yet, the action moment looked AMAZING! the high speed battle were really well animated here.

That ending tho....
Ushio noooooooo

éDLIVE 1 eng dub

I'm mixed here, maybe I'll get used to it as episodes go one, but I can hear to well that it is a woman voicing Chuta. Also the english dub makes this episode, which imo was already kinda cheezy, even more cheezy sounding lol.

JulianImp

It gets really good when a comedic rhythm sets in co-ordination with music, dialogue and visuals.

Yup, that's something I really like from some Shaft shows (ie: not Nisekoi), which is how scenes are often not carried by visuals, sound or the script by themselves, but rather it all kind of meshes together.

Jex

Should have read that again before posting. I meant it as the opening of that paragraph. As in, I don't think the adaptation is as divisive because of any of the items I listed aftewards as over-all it's ok or strong in plenty of those departments. I fault it for the pacing alone, which seems more like a very specific part of what the anime adaptation would be.

Like Attack on Titan had also a glaring pacing issue but it also loved using 3D environments so that hurt it also visually.

Okay, got it, that makes a lot more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom