• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

Derrida and Foucault are just unavoidable. I have yet to read a single word of Freud though, and I went out of my way to avoid psychoanalysis. I think the fact that someone made the argument that Freud was anti-Semitic because he only used Hellenistic references was enough for me to justify my ignorance. lol

And they hand out MAs in English these days. lol

It's true, they are; I actually had to study both in my undergrad. Personally I found Foucoult more readable than Derrida, but maybe that's just me. I studied Freud in my undergrad too, in the same course in fact! Foucoult bled into my MA work, but I didn't deal with Derrida too much after that. I'll leave that for the PhD candidates to deal with!

And I at the very least, worked hard at mine. :p

Funimation basically gave up their physical media part of the company to Warner or whatever, and they'd be the first to see the writing on the wall. I think people are more willing to spend money on actual products related to a property (figures, posters, artbooks) than on the actual anime itself.

There's probably a market for selling anime online in Canada though. I know there was a site that someone here recommended a while ago, and they seem to be the only major player if you don't want to deal with Rightstuf's silly policies.

I think in the future we're definitely going to see more Aniplex-esque releases and less standard retail ones. I don't think companies like Funimation will go away, but they'll adjust thier business model accordingly.

Canada definitely has a big potential market for that, with the exchange rate and RightStuf's high shipping. You must be talking about the C&L Club! I've had good experiences with them, but it's always best to wait for a sale.

*sigh* When I started watching Hellsing I thought I would really like it. The dark and grim atmosphere was great, Alucard is a cool character and the series seemed somewhat mature. I was bored throughout the whole thing though. Nothing EVER happens and Seras Victoria is the worst character one could have chosen to be the protagonist. I have never been so bored with an anime that I went in with such a positive mindset.
I'm currently watching Hellsing Ultimate and somehow this is even WORSE! The episodes are now 45 min long which makes them twice as hard to endure and the atmosphere is ruined by the not-even-funny comedy and the fanservice seems so out of place coming from the original anime.

I have no idea why people liked this so much back then. It has been recommended to me so many times I lost count. Can anyone explain to me what's so special that people see in this anime?

I mean I don't know what to tell you, it's popular because of alucard, the ultra violence and some of the ridiculous shit going on (nazis and kkk joining forces to fight the relatively good guys). It's always been a popular show in the West because of that specifically, nobody really cares for the comedy they just deal with it. Same with Drifters, the comedy is nowhere near the best aspect but folks just deal with it. You take the good with the bad

If you can't deal with the comedy to get through the action and violence, then don't. It's as simple as that. If folks are recommending it to you it might be because you tend to like action shows snd it's a very vanilla recommendation.

*sigh* When I started watching Hellsing I thought I would really like it. The dark and grim atmosphere was great, Alucard is a cool character and the series seemed somewhat mature. I was bored throughout the whole thing though. Nothing EVER happens and Seras Victoria is the worst character one could have chosen to be the protagonist. I have never been so bored with an anime that I went in with such a positive mindset.
I'm currently watching Hellsing Ultimate and somehow this is even WORSE! The episodes are now 45 min long which makes them twice as hard to endure and the atmosphere is ruined by the not-even-funny comedy and the fanservice seems so out of place coming from the original anime.

I have no idea why people liked this so much back then. It has been recommended to me so many times I lost count. Can anyone explain to me what's so special that people see in this anime?

You are on a journey of self-discovery.

Exactly, the part where you discover popular recommendations are not to be trusted. There are a lot of people out there who standards are: edgy shit, blood, tits and asses, lots of action, cool "badass" characters.

They also voted for Trump.

Man I really gotta rewatch Yamato 2199.

Exactly, the part where you discover popular recommendations are not to be trusted. There are a lot of people out there who standards are: edgy shit, blood, tits and asses, lots of action, cool "badass" characters.

What fucking ever

You voted for Trump no takesies backsies

duckroll

Hellsing Ultimate Vol4 is good. It has Maaya Sakamoto playing a nazi sniper singing Engeland Lied and Der Freischutz.

Azi Dahaka Daeva looks incredible (buddyfight), theres even Kyoya Gaen! https://twitter.com/hokuyuu/status/827676872687312900
C3x_tJQUMAIkS7s.jpg:large
C3x_tr7UMAEBqQy.jpg:large

sasuke_91

I mean I don't know what to tell you, it's popular because of alucard, the ultra violence and some of the ridiculous shit going on (nazis and kkk joining forces to fight the relatively good guys). It's always been a popular show in the West because of that specifically, nobody really cares for the comedy they just deal with it. Same with Drifters, the comedy is nowhere near the best aspect but folks just deal with it. You take the good with the bad

If you can't deal with the comedy to get through the action and violence, then don't. It's as simple as that. If folks are recommending it to you it might be because you tend to like action shows snd it's a very vanilla recommendation.

It's not as if the comedy is the biggest problem. It just makes it worse than the 2001 version. I'm not even someone who often finds an anime boring. I'm a Slice of Life fan and those are the ones most people would consider boring.
And I'm normally all over Madhouse's adaptations. I'll see how this turns out. I'm not going to drop this just yet (but I'm pretty close to it).

The thing is, there's a lot of popular series I haven't seen yet. A lot of supposedly good titles as well. It's just that Hellsing is the one some of my friends always wanted me to watch.
And as I said, I'm an SoL fan, so that's probably not the reason for the recommendations.

Yeah, I had that realization back when Guilty Crown was airing. But Hellsing always seemed like something I'd like.

Hellsing Ultimate Vol4 is good. It has Maaya Sakamoto playing a nazi sniper singing Engeland Lied and Der Freischutz.

I'm watching it on Amazon Prime and they don't have the Japanese dub version, only German dub (which is pretty solid honestly). I already missed the "If anyone does not love the lord..." scene in the first episode because of that D:

duckroll

I'm watching it on Amazon Prime and they don't have the Japanese dub version, only German dub (which is pretty solid honestly). I already missed the "If anyone does not love the lord..." scene in the first episode because of that D:

Wow. No Wakamoto. No Nakata. No Maaya. No wonder you're not enjoying this as much. :(

Anyway, yeah Hellsing isn't that great once you grow out of the "OMG VAMPIRE GUNLORD VS NAZIS FUCK YEAH" phase. But I still have good memories of watching Arucard fucking destroy his enemies. When Ultimate is on point, it's really entertaining. The fight at the end of Vol2, most of Vol4, the stuff in Vol6-7. Then... it kinda goes downhill because the production was ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????O_O???? lol.

Moaradin

Hellsing was pretty entertaining. I enjoyed the Madhouse episodes the most, and hearing Crispin Freeman's voice is always a good thing.

TheChaos0

Attempt x to start posting here.

Watched The Silent Voice yesterday. Damn, that was good. Both sort of uplifting and equally sad... Couldn't get Ueno = Mio out of my head, damn you KyoAni!

Yuri on Ice Episode 1

Well, there's some decent animation here. We'll see how the story progresses.

March Comes in Like a Lion Episode 16

Shimada wins! Whooo! He looked so exhausted though. Rei is finally starting to rely on other people to get through life...good, good.

Meaning to start Konosuba S2 but my watching habits are pretty erratic these days. I'll get to it...eventually...

sasuke_91

Wow. No Wakamoto. No Nakata. No Maaya. No wonder you're not enjoying this as much. :(

Anyway, yeah Hellsing isn't that great once you grow out of the "OMG VAMPIRE GUNLORD VS NAZIS FUCK YEAH" phase. But I still have good memories of watching Arucard fucking destroy his enemies. When Ultimate is on point, it's really entertaining. The fight at the end of Vol2, most of Vol4, the stuff in Vol6-7. Then... it kinda goes downhill because the production was ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????O_O???? lol.

Yeah I thought about it long and hard. It's not on Crunchyroll or Netflix where I would expect a subbed version, so I just went with it.

I just finished episode 3 and yeah, seeing Alucard killing a bunch of people has its charm. Alucard is one of the very few reasons I continue watching this.

???????????????????

What are you talking about?
More of a jab at some of the white washing with that and other topics in textbooks. Of course I'm largely saying it tongue in cheek since the US (see: the South) also does the same with Japanese internment camps and recently with the topics of slavery.

Hellsing had like one good episode, other then that the action was never something I would consider entertainig for more then a few minutes. Hellsing being like 45 minutes backfired on it imo.

Drifters is better simply based on the cast.

Huh, the second episode of Tanya the Evil basically shifts the genre of the show.

Which is appreciated, because that first episode was bad.

duckroll

More of a jab at some of the white washing with that and other topics in textbooks. Of course I'm largely saying it tongue in cheek since the US (see: the South) also does the same with Japanese internment camps and recently with the topics of slavery.

Errrrr. Japan doesn't pretend it wasn't involved in the war. What they deny are the war crimes. They very much accept that they were in a war, but they were the victims and lost, otherwise the ones who died were heroes. It's sick! If you think for a second that the conservatives are ashamed of the war, you need to think again!

Tunoku

Hi, Anime-GAF. I'm new here and wanted to say hi. Was just wondering if I'm missing any good shows from the season at this point. Here's the stuff I've checked out so far:

Rakugo S2
3 Gatsu
LWA
Dragomaid
Fuuka
Seiren
Akiba's Trip
Konosuba S2
Masamune-kun
Interviews with Monster Girls

Not saying that I'm into all the shows on this list. Rakugo, Konosuba, and 3 Gatsu are the only ones I'm enjoying a bunch atm. Though, I've only seen one episode of Dragon Maid and I feel like it might be a pretty solid comedy show.

Thud

I feel the same way about Hellsing. It was fun, but it ain't that great anymore.

Hi, Anime-GAF. I'm new here and wanted to say hi. Was just wondering if I'm missing any good shows from the season at this point. Here's the stuff I've checked out so far:

Rakugo S2
3 Gatsu
LWA
Dragomaid
Fuuka
Seiren
Akiba's Trip
Konosuba S2
Masamune-kun

Not saying that I'm into all the shows on this list. Rakugo, Konosuba, and 3 Gatsu are the only ones I'm enjoying a bunch atm. Though, I've only seen one episode of Dragon Maid and I feel like it might be a pretty solid comedy show.

Hand shakers.

Ascheroth

Rakugo S2
3 Gatsu
LWA
Dragomaid
Fuuka
Seiren
Akiba's Trip
Konosuba S2
Masamune-kun

You need to get on the Tales of Zestiria train.

phaze

Rakugo S2
3 Gatsu
LWA
Dragomaid
Fuuka
Seiren
Akiba's Trip
Konosuba S2
Masamune-kun

Scum's Wish has been pretty good so far.
I'd rec at least checking out if ACCA is your thing, with the caveat that it's pretty slow, last ep kinda sucked and the production values aren't quite there.

Rakugo S2
3 Gatsu
LWA
Dragomaid
Fuuka
Seiren
Akiba's Trip
Konosuba S2
Masamune-kun

You are missing Scum's wish.

sasuke_91

Rakugo S2
3 Gatsu
LWA
Dragomaid
Fuuka
Seiren
Akiba's Trip
Konosuba S2
Masamune-kun

Check out Scum's Wish (Kuzu no Honkai). We were talking about it a few pages back. It has a pretty interesting premise.

Thud

I finished watching Future Boy Conan, which was pretty great. Might write more about it later.

It was nice to see focus on multiple characters such as Conan, Lana, Jimsy, Monsley and Dyce. The only thing that felt lacking was Lepka's motivation. He basically got an off screen death lol.

Next up on the backlog will be some quality time with Gintama season 4.

Meesh

Ok... there's nothing I love more than a good old fashioned love triangle with loads of hijinks and comedic insanity. Anything new???

Rakugo S2
3 Gatsu
LWA
Dragomaid
Fuuka
Seiren
Akiba's Trip
Konosuba S2
Masamune-kun

Your missing

Tales of Zestiria the X
Gundam IBO
Twin star exorcist
élDLIVE
Blue Exorcist

These are all pretty good imo!

Tunoku

I watch pretty much all my shows on Crunchyroll, so not surprised I completely missed the boat on Scum's Wish. Those other recommendations don't look that appealing to me, outside of Gundam IBO. But for that I'd have to go back and watch the first season as well. Also, confession time: Never seen a single Gundam anime.

EDIT: Actually, I should try out ACCA as well, but it's probably one of those shows that's gonna make me want to drop it after the first episode.

I watch pretty much all my shows on Crunchyroll, so not surprised I completely missed the boat on Scum's Wish. Those other recommendations don't look that appealing to me, outside of Gundam IBO. But for that I'd have to go back and watch the first season as well. Also, confession time: Never seen a single Gundam anime.

EDIT: Actually, I should try out ACCA as well, but it's probably one of those shows that's gonna make me want to drop it after the first episode.

I suggest going to daisuki (its free) and watching Gundam Wing and then Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny. Their the best of gundam.

Also on youtube you can watch Gundam Age, the third best gundam franchise and perfect for newcomers (same for wing and seed) Give it a try its great.

IBO is a good starting point! SEED and GBF are also pretty good starting point.

Tuck

How does Akko's personality differ between the show and the OVAs? I enjoyed Akko as the rambunctious protagonist in both OVAs but haven't watched the show yet since Netflix is holding it hostage.

It is different. I felt the second OVA flanderized her a bit, and made her far more annoying. The show undoes this, but adds in other issues as others have expressed. In the OVas it did seem like she was trying.

I need it.

Thud

Rakugo S2
3 Gatsu
LWA
Dragomaid
Fuuka
Seiren
Akiba's Trip
Konosuba S2
Masamune-kun

I'm gonna shill Tiger Mask W for as long as I can.

blurr

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless 08

Tanaka's listless attitude can't overcome emotional obligations towards people he cares for and that's nice.

Really good episode with some pictureseque moments towards the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom