• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gabriel Dropout 05

C4APygEWQAEwWIR.jpg

In my version of this show Satania is the MC and Gab is just one of the supporting cast.

zulux21

By virtue of being the best I hereby propose samurai jack be allowed into AOTY for 2017
if we allow non japanese live action puppets I really don't see why we shouldn't allow japanese inspired cartoons as well.
samurai jack
steven universe
my little pony ect should all be allowed. we obviously don't have strict standards for what is anime :p
it would be amazing to see the freak out if my little pony was the top anime movie of 2017 lol.

Think I saw it on twitter that it's likely the trailer is all preanimated cause they were only just finishing ep 2 or something.

I wasn't even paying attention to the animation, to busy reading subtitles and was hyped strictly from those :p

Szadek

Mawaru Penguindrum - Ep. 12
This episode man...
Poor Himari, why did she had to die?

Kirakira☆Precure A La Mode - Ep. 1
A decent start. I have no problem with the costumes as they are super cute.
The life actions cooking bits were strange their.

Gabriel DropOut - Ep. 4
I'm just bad episode away from dropping this, but so far it's mildly interesting

Probably the funniest episode I've seen yet. Best moment was Shinpachi at the internet cafe seeking advice on what to do for his date. Katsura, Kondo, and Madao being internet trolls made me bust out laughing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Usually I would have posted this weeks earlier when most shows had reached episode three, but BanG Dream was delayed so has only just hit that magical number.

So what’s I’ve been watching so far this season. You can start preparing that saliva now so you can spit in disgust by the end of this.

Idol Jihen
Idols meets politics. It sounds silly, and honestly, it is, but that’s why the show works. On one side you have the story of the girl becoming an idol/politician and on the other you have these Scooby Doo Pantomime villains doing all they can to ruin the girls’ day complete with seedy deals and malicious laughter. And of course by the end of every episode the villains are won over. It’s corny and I love it.

Secret top show of the season!

Gabriel DropOut
More like drop Gabriel out of the title and replace her with Satanichia am I right? Of course I am, I’m the only one here who is always right.

But seriously, she’s the far better character and the only one who properly interacts with all the characters:

Satanichia -> Gabriel: self declared rival
-> Vignette: Her demon brethren who is only nice person to her
-> Raphiel: her tormentor

As for the other other characters, Vignette has barely any chemistry with Raphiel and surprisingly, for the main characters, Gabriel, hardly interacts with Raphiel, they only default know each other because they’re both angels. That of course leaves Raphiel, whose only role is to torment Satanichia.

So in conclusion, I only watch this show for Satanichia scenes.

BanG Dream
Parallels with K-On are obvious, what with being a show about a school based band, but so far it’s been doing its own thing. Though we’re already three episodes in and the band (according to the OP and ED) still haven’t formed! The chemistry between Kasumi (the MC) and Arisa is rather fun to watch. Bonus: There’s a American tourist scene, which is always fun to watch.

MC probably should win an award for oddest choice of hairstyle.

Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu
That is a long title so I’m going to call it BiK-On from now on because it’s basically K-On with bikes, except the characters look like iDOLM@STER characters instead. Seriously, the main gal is a complete knockoff of Haruka, all the way down to the ribbons, though unlike Haruka, she’s a complete idiot like Yui. Heck, I’d say even Yui wasn’t this daft. Seriously, what is the appeal of a character who is as thick as two planks? “40 years [ago]? Bicycles have been around that long?”. Seriously? No one in real life is that dumb. No one!

I skip the live actions scenes at the end. The bloke just looks so uncomfortable being there and the two girls are of course putting on really fake cutesy voices. You accept it for animated characters, but seeing the face behind the voice just enters the uncanny valley.

Schoolgirl Strikers
When it came to writing something for this show, it made me realise I sometimes have no real idea why I continue to watch some stuff. It’s light hearted and inoffensive. It has some fun movements and hopefully by the next episode we start to see some sort of story progress.

Urara Meirochou
You’d think the excessive amount of times they feel the need to show young girls in their underwear would be the worst part of this show, but really it’s the fact one of the girls looks like a dead ringer of Nico from Love Live.

I’m sure this ticks the boxes for some people (CGDCT, easy yuri shipping, all female cast, fan service), but I’m sure I’ll find myself eventually forgetting to keep up with it.

The puppet is the best character, and it’s not even a real person!

Kemono Friends
Well this isn’t going to win any awards for animation. After something like Etotama this is like going back several decades in CGI. Seriously, the characters and the background don’t even interact, so you have scenes where they just walk over grass which should logically be covering their legs.

So why watch it? Because beneath it’s weird cute exterior seems to be a dark mystery. Might as well see it through to the end right. Well, at least the pay off should be better than Mayoiga’s.

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
Wow. KyoAni finally found a property to adopt that doesn’t kill brain cells with mundaneness. Worth watching if only for the KyoAni tier animation.

There’s often talk about comedy shows and people not finding themselves laughing at them. Maid Dragon is one such particular show, which, to be honest, I don’t think I’ve laughed much at. However I still enjoy watching it. On the other hand, I’m pretty sure Idol Jihen isn’t classified as a comedy, but it sure makes me chuckle. Actually, I’d like to note I’m finding this arc of Gintama much better than the “last” (technically it’s a continuation). The balance between serious and comedic bits is far better paced. Last series started feeling like it forgot it was meant to be a gag show sometimes.

LWA TV 05

Yeah this was pretty bad. The line that stood out to me the most was Sucy saying "Why are Lotte and I even helping you with this punishment" which is a good question, which is given no answer! NICE.

Like what the shit who do I root for here? Diana is right, Akko is just a troublemaker idiot who doesn't pay attention in class despite being so invested in being a witch. But Diana is so perfect (a literal Mary Sue) that it has to be some kind of joke, right? Nobody wrote that line about being able to read an extinct dragon language at the age of 12 seriously, right?

Its just...bleh. Can't Trigger stop this flip flopping between me liking them and then immediately fucking up again the next show?

Jex

LWA TV's Diana is so smart and perfect that she should literally be teaching classes, or possibly even running the entire academy.

I think the most annoying thing about Diana's writing is that it's inconsistent. The whole point of her introductory episode was that she was a supremely gifted student but not literally perfect - she could still make mistakes that would require others (e.g. Akko) to bail her out. Yet ever since then that idea has been apparently ignored and instead Diana is just a walking goddess who can do no wrong.

Oh yeah, can we also talk about right at the end of the episode where Akko (who did literally nothing of note to resolve the situation) gets to have a mini-speech about how she's going to become an amazing witch and move people's hearts with magic. You don't get to spout that kind of stuff unless it has some relevance to the episode or unless we feel like Akko has done something to earn it. Yet she really hasn't - she's literally the worse student in the history of Luna Nova, ranting about how she'll move the world with her magical skill. Talk about forced.

Jarmel

Banned
I saw someone mention this elsewhere but I think it actually might be the case in that the first half might be leading up to Akko getting expelled which would actually be somewhat interesting and justified.

It doesn't fix the issues with Diana though. I think they should have split some of Diana's skills with Amanda. For example at the end of episode 3, the final part was a race between Amanda and Akko.

élDLIVE 5

So far this keeps getting better every episode! I really love how they introduced Gucci and he has a cool design too! I don't know if it's because of how the show looks but it every time it goes dark I'm kind of caught of guard. Still really loving this! Give me more!

Ushio and Tora 17

Not sure how I feel about the whole the girls have to comb Ushio' hair execution. It almost feel like they are forcing character development out of some of these character that I don't even really care about. Also why go one at a time? I'm mixed on this episode :/

Trickster #17

Surprise question for Anime GAF!

In this picture, is Kobayashi on the floor or is he against the wall?
He is against a wall.

Ascheroth

Youjo Senki #2-5

I'm glad I gave this another chance, because yes, episode 1 is seriously misleading.
The show is more like a black comedy than a serious fantasy WW2 war drama and it's for the better.
And my god, Tanyas VA is hamming it up to 11 and it's glorious. I died at the end of episode 5 where
she used her cutesy kids voice to declare the attack on the enemy capital.
The whole thing is just really amusing to watch, because God is a huge troll and Tanya tries her best to meticulously plan out an easy life for herself but everything backfires because she's too compentent and doesn't realize it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's true, they are; I actually had to study both in my undergrad. Personally I found Foucoult more readable than Derrida, but maybe that's just me. I studied Freud in my undergrad too, in the same course in fact! Foucoult bled into my MA work, but I didn't deal with Derrida too much after that. I'll leave that for the PhD candidates to deal with!

And I at the very least, worked hard at mine. :p
My feeling is that if I can get an MA and a PhD, literally anyone can with enough time. But I guess I still live in the "imposter syndrome" mentality. lol

(I'm happy to live in a world where people think "Bakhtin" is used to prevent infections rather than a Russian semiotician).

I think in the future we're definitely going to see more Aniplex-esque releases and less standard retail ones. I don't think companies like Funimation will go away, but they'll adjust thier business model accordingly.

Canada definitely has a big potential market for that, with the exchange rate and RightStuf's high shipping. You must be talking about the C&L Club! I've had good experiences with them, but it's always best to wait for a sale.
Funimation has basically become a streaming service, and both Funi and CR made the right decision to stop trying to eat each other's lunch and just focus on the things that they are good at.

And yeah, that was them - it must have been you who recommended them lol. Rightstuf would be worth it if they didn't switch to Fedex, which guarantees everything gets taxed to hell and just upped the free shipping fee to something astronomical. I went from ordering a few hundred dollars worth of anime a year to basically nothing. The last thing I did was the Maria Holic trade in program (hurray for Sentai) and that was at least a year ago?

Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu
That is a long title so I’m going to call it BiK-On from now on because it’s basically K-On with bikes, except the characters look like iDOLM@STER characters instead. Seriously, the main gal is a complete knockoff of Haruka, all the way down to the ribbons, though unlike Haruka, she’s a complete idiot like Yui. Heck, I’d say even Yui wasn’t this daft. Seriously, what is the appeal of a character who is as thick as two planks? “40 years [ago]? Bicycles have been around that long?”. Seriously? No one in real life is that dumb. No one!

I skip the live actions scenes at the end. The bloke just looks so uncomfortable being there and the two girls are of course putting on really fake cutesy voices. You accept it for animated characters, but seeing the face behind the voice just enters the uncanny valley.
Is this any good? I almost thought about continuing it after watching the first episode a few weeks ago.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is this any good? I almost thought about continuing it after watching the first episode a few weeks ago.

Well it seems that all the main cast have finally been introduced and the cycle club is being form so next week's episode will mark the show finally hitting the club activities part of the saga. So rather a make or break outing.

At the moment I'd say it's OK, nothing to write home about. Characters are a bit bland, but hopefully club interactions will solve that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well it seems that all the main cast have finally been introduced and the cycle club is being form so next week's episode will mark the show finally hitting the club activities part of the saga. So rather a make or break outing.

At the moment I'd say it's OK, nothing to write home about. Characters are a bit bland, but hopefully club interactions will solve that.
Just need to have half the girls graudate at the end of the season and it'll be catnip for me I guess. lol

Clov

My feeling is that if I can get an MA and a PhD, literally anyone can with enough time. But I guess I still live in the "imposter syndrome" mentality. lol

(I'm happy to live in a world where people think "Bakhtin" is used to prevent infections rather than a Russian semiotician).

Funimation has basically become a streaming service, and both Funi and CR made the right decision to stop trying to eat each other's lunch and just focus on the things that they are good at.

And yeah, that was them - it must have been you who recommended them lol. Rightstuf would be worth it if they didn't switch to Fedex, which guarantees everything gets taxed to hell and just upped the free shipping fee to something astronomical. I went from ordering a few hundred dollars worth of anime a year to basically nothing. The last thing I did was the Maria Holic trade in program (hurray for Sentai) and that was at least a year ago?

I fall victim to that mentality time to time myself, and I have a few friends who do as well. It's pretty normal, I'd say.

Streaming definitely is going to be their biggest revenue source. They'll still continue doing physical media, but they're getting cheaper; the mistakes they've been making on that Code Geass collector's edition set have been pretty terrible, from what I've heard! I'm still really curious to see what Crunchyroll's home video releases will turn out like.

I miss when our dollar was at par! Made ordering from Rightstuf a lot easier. Thankfully you can still get some things decently priced from Amazon. Funimation titles can be pretty cheap if you preorder them early, before they adjust the prices. My Nichijou order ended up only being $49. Sometimes even titles Rightstuf distributes can be priced decently! Our situation in terms of anime availability isn't ideal, but there's still options.

Japanese Fans pick their favourite Gundam Series.

Well this should be rich.

1. G Gundam being under 00.

2. IBO being number 1.

3. War in the Pocket not being on this list at all.

Horrendous.
I wouldn't say the list is bad, I would drop down like 0079 and UC and have like GBF and Victory among the top ones.

IBO is good, you should watch it.

And if we are talking hot-blooded I wouldn't consider war in the pocket a good candidate.

I wouldn't say the list is bad, I would drop down like 0079 and UC and have like GBF and Victory among the top ones.

And if we are talking hot-blooded I wouldn't consider war in the pocket a good candidate.

Oh it was most hot-blooded. But that just makes G Gundam's placement even worse.

I have yet to hear from my fellow Mecha enthusiasts what makes IBO more worth watching than other mecha series.

Also I agree with Basileus. G Gundam should absolutely be at the top if hot-bloodedness is a key factor in this list.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I fall victim to that mentality time to time myself, and I have a few friends who do as well. It's pretty normal, I'd say.
It doesn't help that Humanities as a discipline feels like a sham sometimes. lol

Streaming definitely is going to be their biggest revenue source. They'll still continue doing physical media, but they're getting cheaper; the mistakes they've been making on that Code Geass collector's edition set have been pretty terrible, from what I've heard! I'm still really curious to see what Crunchyroll's home video releases will turn out like.

I miss when our dollar was at par! Made ordering from Rightstuf a lot easier. Thankfully you can still get some things decently priced from Amazon. Funimation titles can be pretty cheap if you preorder them early, before they adjust the prices. My Nichijou order ended up only being $49. Sometimes even titles Rightstuf distributes can be priced decently! Our situation in terms of anime availability isn't ideal, but there's still options.

I forgot about Nichijou. It's still 49 bucks, funny enough.

The other thing is that features on these discs have been pared back completely, and for example I think the Persona 4 BD is the last anime that I remember having fully subtitled production/cast commentaries on them. They weren't common of course, but companies still tried to make their packages appealing by doing more than just put the episodes on the disc. US releases are just straight up "inferior" to Japanese releases, even with the added cost associated with buying anime in Japan.

jgminto

I have yet to hear from my fellow Mecha enthusiasts what makes IBO more worth watching than other mecha series.

Also I agree with Basileus. G Gundam should absolutely be at the top if hot-bloodedness is a key factor in this list.
Who is on your list of mech enthusiasts?

Japanese Fans pick their favourite Gundam Series.

Well this should be rich.

1. G Gundam being under 00.

2. IBO being number 1.

3. War in the Pocket not being on this list at all.

Horrendous.

G being under 00 is terrible.

Half of that stuff on the list has no business being over G Reco.

And War in the Pocket got robbed.

Oh it was most hot-blooded. But that just makes G Gundam's placement even worse.

Pretty sure it was stated in here with the last list that it's nothing about "hot blooded" and that's just Crunchyroll making a dumb translation error.

IBO being recent and G gundam being old most definitely influenced the results here. Also was G Gundam popular when it aired?

I wonder how these polls are conducted. Online? I can see IBO winning if the audience was mostly young people.

Wrong, he's on the floor!
Dammit! I was so close :(

And who are these enthusiast? Did they tell you not to watch it?

Ascheroth

Your fellow mech enthusiasts haven't told you to watch Kuromukuro or Fafner Exodus yet either, so that argument isn't as good as you think it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom