• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonton

IBO is very much worth a watch, the mecha fights are great

Well at least s1, I barely watched s2 yet for some reason lol

Who is on your list of mech enthusiasts?

And who are these enthusiast? Did they tell you not to watch it?

Narag
CorvoSol
Jexhius
Jarmel

Not that I don't respect the opinions of others here who genuinely enjoy it and think it's good, but these guys are the ones who really know their stuff and have the experience when it comes to the genre as a whole. Corvo and Jexhius have voiced their opinions on IBO, saying that it's following the usual Sunrise formula of modern real-robot Gundam shows to a T and I'd be better off getting back to something like Turn A or Escaflowne.

I'm not avoiding it because I think it'l be bad, I just don't have an interest in it.

Well considering you're refusing to watch Fafner, I'm not sure what else you're doing with your time.

It's on my backlog. I am planning on getting to it.

Your fellow mech enthusiasts haven't told you to watch Kuromukuro or Fafner Exodus yet either, so that argument isn't as good as you think it is!

Well actually they have, and I'm planning on giving them a shot sometime.

I thought IBO was selling like shit too IIRC.

Did Sunrise strike gold with it again or has the fanbase become so much smaller in Japan?

Well it's currently still airing which probably gives it a huge advantage in voting. For decent amount of voters it's probably only Gundam show they have seen (youngest voters)

Clov

I forgot about Nichijou. It's still 49 bucks, funny enough.

The other thing is that features on these discs have been pared back completely, and for example I think the Persona 4 BD is the last anime that I remember having fully subtitled production/cast commentaries on them. They weren't common of course, but companies still tried to make their packages appealing by doing more than just put the episodes on the disc. US releases are just straight up "inferior" to Japanese releases, even with the added cost associated with buying anime in Japan.

Getting commentaries and extras typically cost extra money to license, so the majority of companies don't even bother with them anymore. Sometimes extra OVAs or short episodes end up belonging to another company entirely, which the liscenser may not be willing to spend the extra time negotiating with. This happened with Sentai's release of the first season of Gatchaman Crowds, which is missing the director's cut of the final episode. Yes, I'm still upset about it!

Commentaries in particular are difficult, since not only do they cost extra to license and are difficult to subtitle (you don't really have a script to work from there), but there's all sorts of legal complications involved. If for example, one seiyu's agency doesn't want the commentary being released overseas for whatever reason, it won't happen. This happened with some anime where the seiyu was starting to focus on her music career, and her agency wouldn't approve of the commentary being released, or something. It sounds like it could get messy.

It really does suck that anime releases tend to be pretty barebones for special features these days, but that's just the state of the industry, I guess. Though speaking of anime discs with great extras, Cinelicious Pics' release of Belladonna of Sadness has some fantastic interviews included! Though they're a company that's trying to compete more within the Criterion market, so I understand why they would.

Sterok

Gabriel Droput 5

Heaven is once again screwed as Satania shows why she's the future demon lord.

What is with this season having the wrong protagonists? Satania dominates Gabriel Dropout, and Akko is LWA isn't doing anything worthy of a protagonist aside from getting into trouble.

Szadek

Despite my better judgement, I bought the first volume Magical Girl Site.
It fucking sucks. I don't think I can finish this volume
The manga trys so hard to be dark and edgy, it just comes across as hilarious.
It also doesn't help how bland the protaganist is.
There is nothing to her but "every beats her for no reason".

TUSR

Banned
Fuuka 6

Of course someone took a picture of famous idol and childhood friend Koyuki Hinashi pinky swearing.

Surprised I lasted this long, but this is going into the bin.

Quasar

I guess the flip side is that I enjoy the exercise of trying to think about what I'm watching or reading. There's something fun about being active when reading something.

I guess. For me though it felt like consuming gaming as only a set of technical benchmarks. Thank fully eventually I was able to stop and only turn that switch on when needed / when I felt like it.

Andrew J.

Little Witch Academia 05

Everyone's so down on this episode, but I enjoyed it plenty. Some good gags with Fafnir, which got actual lols from me.

Akko's stupid hotheadedness and Diana's impossible perfection are certainly heightened here, but I at least did not find it annoying. The ineptness of the school administration, on the other hand, went a bit far, in my opinion...I wonder how serious this "magic is fading from the world" thing is going to be, and how much that's connected with Luna Nova's fading fortunes. Originally I thought the endgame for this series would be a "Let's save the school with youthful enthusiasm and willingness to challenge established tradition!" thing, but now a larger scale seems somewhat possible.

Gundam IBO has to be doing something right. My wife detests most of the Gundam I've shown her, but she absolutely loves IBO. It and G Gundam are the only ones she really really likes
She likes what little she's seen of Origin, and liked the second movie in the Original Gundam Trilogy, she hated 1 and 3. She also thinks my favorite, 0083, is okay. Just okay.

bryanee

Is the original Fate Stay Night worth a watch? I watched and liked UBW so is it pointless to watch the original?

Narag

Your fellow mech enthusiasts haven't told you to watch Kuromukuro or Fafner Exodus yet either, so that argument isn't as good as you think it is!

Kuromukuro 26 FIN

I'm going to submit a proposal to the shadow council that Nintendoman's ban be reinstated if he continues to lament the death of the mecha genre with his alternative facts while continuing to ignore this.

Grexeno

Little Witch Academia 05

Yeah I'm also getting a bit sick of Akko's schtick at this point. But the idea of a dragon just making a ton of money off stocks is hilarious.

jett

D-Member
I finished watching Death Note.

That was really fun, I enjoyed it a lot, except for a twist in the middle that took things in another direction and the ending was a bit of a let down. I really liked the mostly sensible human character designs (by anime standards, I guess).

Let's see, in the last couple of years I've watched (shows that are already over):

HunterXHunter
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Planetes
(some) Space Brothers
(some) YuYu Hakusho
Samurai Champloo
Gurren Lagann
Fullmetal Alchemist
Berserk (90s)
Yamato 2199
And Death Note

I sure have watched a lot of stuff. I liked most of that. Space Brothers I abandoned because of its glacial pace, and YYH because I felt like I had watched enough YYH after the tournament arc was over.

Out of those, I I liked LOGH, Planetes, HxH and Samurai Champloo the best, probably in that order.

Wonder what else semi-recent stuff I've missed that is worth a watch (of stuff that is over). I tried to give the highly-praised Shirobako a try but I quit very early on with all the senpai! shit and the generic sameface girly designs. In my case the fewer anime tropes there are the better, I think.

My lamenting of mecha's death has sort of diminished as of late due to the rise of several appealing mecha properties appearing as of late. Time-Bokan 24, Tomica Hyper Rescue Drive, and especially Megaton Musashi.

Super Robots are making a comeback. It's slow, but I'm glad to see these shows being made regardless.

LotusHD

Banned

That was really fun, I enjoyed it a lot, except for a twist in the middle that took things in another direction and the ending was a bit of a let down. I really liked the mostly sensible human character designs (by anime standards, I guess).

Let's see, in the last couple of years I've watched (shows that are already over):

HunterXHunter
Planetes
(some) Space Brothers
(some) YuYu Hakusho
Samurai Champloo
Gurren Lagann
Fullmetal Alchemist
Berserk (90s)
Yamato 2199
And Death Note

I sure have watched a lot of stuff. I liked most of that. Space Brothers I abandoned because of its glacial pace, and YYH because I felt like I had watched enough YYH after the tournament arc was over.

Out of those, I I liked LOGH, Planetes, HxH and Samurai Champloo the best, probably in that order.

Wonder what else semi-recent stuff I've missed that is worth a watch (of stuff that is over). I tried to give the highly-praised Shirobako a try but I quit very early on with all the senpai! shit and the generic sameface girly designs. In my case the fewer anime tropes there are the better, I think.

Shirobako is great. And maybe the girls look kinda similar, but compared to a lot of shows out there, they have some pretty damn realistic designs, some that are based off of actual people. I'd recommend the show to anyone that's been watching anime for awhile, it gives you a new appreciation for the medium in terms of what it covers of how difficult it can be to create one. And generally speaking, it's refreshing to watch a show that tackles life after high school, where shit gets real.

My Hero Academia is super amazingly awesome, it has the best Hero in the entire world in it.

other then that
Noragami, Haikyu and Poco's Udon World are really really good.

You can check out what made the top 10 of Animegaf for 2016

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340578

duckroll

Watch Garo the Animation.

Andrew J.

Oh yeah, can we also talk about right at the end of the episode where Akko (who did literally nothing of note to resolve the situation) gets to have a mini-speech about how she's going to become an amazing witch and move people's hearts with magic. You don't get to spout that kind of stuff unless it has some relevance to the episode or unless we feel like Akko has done something to earn it. Yet she really hasn't - she's literally the worse student in the history of Luna Nova, ranting about how she'll move the world with her magical skill. Talk about forced.

That seems to be of a piece with the history of ambitious shounen heroes. Remember Luffy declaring he'd be King of the Pirates while floating around in a barrel? Naruto going on about being Hokage after literally flunking out of ninja school?

Tonton

Kinda funny that the GAF AOTY top 3 ended up being my exact top 3 too

I guess I should give Hakyuu and Thunderbolt Fantasy a try since that's all I'm missing from the top 10

Can't believe you let Erased make it smh
Should have bumped luluco two more spots

jett

D-Member
Shirobako is great. And maybe the girls look kinda similar, but compared to a lot of shows out there, they have some pretty damn realistic designs, some that are based off of actual people. I'd recommend the show to anyone that's been watching anime for awhile, it gives you a new appreciation for the medium in terms of what it covers of how difficult it can be to create one. And generally speaking, it's refreshing to watch a show that tackles life after high school, where shit gets real.

I'm sure it's a fine show but when it comes to anime and me if the aesthetics don't click I'm just gonna be turned off. I might give it another chance at some point.

My Hero Academia is super amazingly awesome, it has the best Hero in the entire world in it.

other then that
Noragami, Haikyu and Poco's Udon World are really really good.

You can check out what made the top 10 of Animegaf for 2016

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340578

I think I'll check MHA, heard good things. And Mob Psycho 100 too for that matter, since I really liked OPM.

Watch Garo the Animation.

Rage of Bahamut might be up his alley too.

MNmTjLv.png

LotusHD

Banned
I'm sure it's a fine show but when it comes to anime and me if the aesthetics don't click I'm just gonna be turned off. I might give it another chance at some point.

I thought the same thing... and then I watched Ping Pong.

I think I'll check MHA, heard good things. And Mob Psycho 100 too for that matter, since I really liked OPM.

MNmTjLv.png

Mob Psycho is a treasure, so yea go for that one.

duckroll

Garo is a better show than Bahamut. Bahamut is prettier show than Garo. The Garo movie is the best of both worlds. Hopefully the new Bahamut series is even better!

Hey that's pretty neat.

Thing is I did a random search for Rage of Bahamut and got a different idea. :p

Garo is based on a Japanese tokusatsu (live action effects heavy) TV franchise. Rage of Bahamut is based on a mobile card game.

Somehow both ended up being pretty solid dark fantasy TV anime... by the same studio. Lol.

HunterXHunter
Planetes
(some) Space Brothers
(some) YuYu Hakusho
Samurai Champloo
Gurren Lagann
Fullmetal Alchemist
Berserk (90s)
Yamato 2199
And Death Note

Given your propensity for dark action anime, I would recommend checking out Code:Breaker, Noragami, and Bungo Stray Dogs in addition to the Garo the Animation recommendation from above.

Prepare yourself to continue being amazed! Zestiria is amazing!

Yeah I love Ufotable and I have just had a lot of catching up and am finally getting to it. I have been looking for a fantasy anime anyway so this hit at the right time

Great choice!
---------------------------------

Sentai posted a video with the casting for the english voice of Bell from Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? it's preeeeetty fitting!

Yeah we are all really excited about him here! Thought he was a good pick even though I'm not really a fan of the show

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Is gabchan worth watching this EP? It's just so fucking hit or miss to me
It's a really plain episode. In spite of introducing a new character it feels like the same routines being played out for the umpth time already. Some people blame the main character but really the entire cast is just very one note and the situations never push their boundaries enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom