• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

KraytarJ

Rakugo 2-5
That was probably one of the best individual episodes of the season, seeing Yotaro struggle with what rakugo means to him and what having his own rakugo would be only to come to a conclusion more in line with what Higuchi alluded to than what Yakumo wanted. And then of course is Yakumo's performance which was beautiful, haunting, and the perfect contrast to what Yotaro had done before him. Overall a beautiful episode, and it perfectly encapsulates what makes this show so special.

Cornbread78

Oda Nobuna ep.10-END
iLJ59a4.png
Finally finished this one up tonight. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience, even through some of the lame melodrama and a cliche anime
non-romance, romance
" ending. Some of the action scenes were nice to watch, but far too short and not neay enough of them. And the shipping, well my spoiler above explains that..

Excuse me, but one of the card battles is a fist fight.

lol, yeah, but that shit with the dark magician girl and the portals, and leviathan absorbing the people. I was expecting Marik vs Joey levels of epic, not this stupid shit.

But that infinte attack that Yugi use to win is pretty hilarious.

The OG Yu-Gi-Oh filler arc were all pretty meh. At least Tamayas was cool.
!

MY INFINITE IS BETTER THAN YOUR INFINITE!

yu gi oh is the anime where the world's richest man has a jet plane and it's shaped like his favorite card the blue eyed white dragon.

It's far from trash

Kaiba is always so done with the friendship shonen talk, is hilarious. So tsun.

Quasar

Oda Nobuna ep.10-END

Finally finished this one up tonight. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience, even through some of the lame melodrama and a cliche anime
non-romance, romance
" ending. Some of the action scenes were nice to watch, but far too short and not neay enough of them. And the shipping, well my spoiler above explains that..

Given how long the book series is, I'm going to assume the end is at least somewhat anime original. It felt kind of written so it could kind a wrap up in a few episodes. A bit different to another show that was based on a big book series I liked, Legend of the Legendary heroes, which ended on a big cliffhanger straight from the books. Dunno if they actually made it with the hope of a second season that never happened due to sales or what.

Dai-Guard ep 11

Kokobogar lol, thats what the army gets. Sad Shirota had to be the one there to be in such a terrible position, but hopefully he continues to be inspired by his friend, Akagi.

Tales of Zestiria Episode 2\ (I guess episode 1 since the first was 00)

Fuck those bugs. I hate cockroaches or anything resembling one.

Also I laughed at the scene with Sorey initially scaling the rocks since it looked bad. Everything else has looking awesome, partly why it looked so jarring.

and now Daisuki's player is fucking up on the 3rd episode :(

is nobody else reacting to the new yamato trailer that hosanna posted? Was it an old one and I didn't know?

It's not old. My reaction is that it looks worse than I remember 2199 looking, particularly in the character animation area (not that 2199 was a big powerhouse in that department).

Curious how the BDs end up looking. Wanted to pick them up but then Turn A and Rayearth andandand

I can't imagine Wolf's Rain BDs turning out very well.

Izayoi

Banned
Is the only way to watch Tokyo Ghoul uncensored on Blu-ray?

Just started it on Hulu and it's unwatchable at times lol

Kuromukuro - 2

I'd probably have gone ecstatic for that fight scene had the mechs not looked so damn ugly and uninspired.

Regardless, this was good.

Quasar

Just a heads-up, All 26 episode of Wolf Rain were added on Funimation!

It looks really cool, I got to take the time to watch it.

It got added to Animelab for us Aussies a few weeks back too. On my backlog, but it will be nice to finally see it.

They've been adding a bunch of older stuff lately, instead of getting shows for simulcast for unknown reasons.

Recently added:

Battle Girls: Time Paradox
Shangri-la
Wolfs Rain
Lagrange
Kamisami Dolls
Zetman
Azumanga Dioh

Never even heard of Shangrila and Zetman.

Cornbread78

Given how long the book series is, I'm going to assume the end is at least somewhat anime original. It felt kind of written so it could kind a wrap up in a few episodes. A bit different to another show that was based on a big book series I liked, Legend of the Legendary heroes, which ended on a big cliffhanger straight from the books. Dunno if they actually made it with the hope of a second season that never happened due to sales or what.

Yeah, the ending definitely felt like a lead-in to further episodes, but like you mentioned, it must not have fobe well sales wise to warrent further adaptation..

Penguindrum ep.13
So, Himari was
saved by some weird medicine
but what did their parent really do, I want to know dammit.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Watching super low quality Sailor Moon Viz rips on Hulu caused a heavy amount of suffering for me today.

Quasar

Yeah, the ending definitely felt like a lead-in to further episodes, but like you mentioned, it must not have fobe well sales wise to warrent further adaptation..

Who knows. I felt the same way about Pilots Love Song. Seemed like deliberate setup for the rest of the story. Maybe it is all just 'go read the novels' though instead of teasing a second season that never got made due to bad disc sales.

Yes way. Crunchyroll's service is a dumpster fire of downtime and unreliable streams.

I'll admit I haven't tried Hulu in a while, since they went to their current premium model, so perhaps the service is better now. Back when I tried it the UI was a pain to navigate and browse, and the anime available, certainly everything licensed by Funimation, was mostly only in SD which made it pretty pointless. I've had problems with Crunchyroll's connection stability in the past, but recently haven't had any problems on that front.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
From a web browser Hulu still does not scale the size of its subtitles up when you go full screen. Very impressive technology. Also it's a dumping ground for low quality video from places like Funimation, who still have old logos and full episode watermarks on certain series.

Tales of Zestiria Episode 3

I want a BD release of this show. I am loving it so far. It is gorgeous and I really like the feel of it.

Looks like I have a binging night ahead of me.

so far the story is good but pretty typical. it is good enough to keep me going and the beauty of the animation is at the forefront. I am sure I will come to love it even more as I get further into it.

Any word on the official number of episodes?

Jarmel

Banned
It's not old. My reaction is that it looks worse than I remember 2199 looking, particularly in the character animation area (not that 2199 was a big powerhouse in that department).

Which is kind of weird considering that the animation directors are pretty much the same people. I understand the mechanical side taking a hit because Nishii is busy but the character animation side should be a bit more polished.

My only real issue with Crunchy is the horrible quality Dragon Ball Super displays when trying to stream on the Roku. It's borderline unwatchable.

Rogue One

The first half of this movie is honestly pretty awful. It's this jangled mess of overly talky scenes that don't really jive together at all. All the characters have these murky relationships that don't exactly pull the viewer in. (I have no idea why Forest Whitaker's character is in this movie. His relationship with Jyn doesn't really give us much insight into either. Hell,
Jyn barely reacts to his death.
) The second half of the movie thankfully slows down and actually improves, but I don't know if it's enough to save the film. I know people have praised the action scenes in this movie, but climax suffers from this problem where they have all the main characters doing the most boring aspects of the heist. Mr. Imperial Defector, Bodhi Rook, in particular is given something that feels like a joke, but someone lost part of the script.

Also the people unironically comparing K-2SO to HK-47 need to sit down and have a hard look at their life.

Cornbread78

Gargantia ep.6
Whoa.... I was not expecting tgat scene at thd end, although it all makes sense now after what happened in the club with the octapus. It was a twist that is going to change tge whole direction snd dybamic of the show tnough. The past few episodes have slowed down the pace quite a bit wirh strong SoL aspects to it and I really like how they are slowly building a relationship between Amy and Ledo. It's being done in a very believabke and natural way, rather than feeling like it is forced.

Do I need a sub? Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get VRV.

Yes way. Crunchyroll's service is a dumpster fire of downtime and unreliable streams.

Crunchyroll is pretty reliable for me. Pretty much the only downtimes I can remember are a few saturday nights where dragonball super excitement overloaded the servers (most recent was last saturday with the new arc starting)

Chain Chronicle: Haecceitas no Hikari Part 2 - 1

C4CFpbXXAAEW-pe.jpg:small
C4CG0fRWYAAs6Ms.jpg:small

My type of episode, just pure 15+ minutes of Yuri and Aram action in a cave and both sharing their deepest insecurities. Yuri seemingly having the right thing to say all the time and embodying the definition of faith in his friends was balanced nicely by the dark thoughts the knights of the black king were sending his way and even bringing to surface his own fears of abandonment and inadequency as a leader. Glad Aram saved him and especially glad Aram found his light and his bond in Yuri. Perfect.

Izayoi

Banned
As opposed to the ad spamming of Hulu? Lol.
I pay for Premium and so ads aren't an issue for me.

Rock solid service, second only to Netflix (with a better selection of anime to boot).

I think Funi works with ads if you stream free, but I can't really test it.
Good to know, thanks.

I'll admit I haven't tried Hulu in a while, since they went to their current premium model, so perhaps the service is better now. Back when I tried it the UI was a pain to navigate and browse, and the anime available, certainly everything licensed by Funimation, was mostly only in SD which made it pretty pointless. I've had problems with Crunchyroll's connection stability in the past, but recently haven't had any problems on that front.
Hulu has a great selection of anime nowadays. Nothing like Crunchyroll of course, but much better than Netflix (outside of their "exclusives").

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hulu lost a ton of anime last June, over 150 series.

While they have a lot of content a lot of it isn't complete and importantly for me, a lot of it isn't dubbed despite having dubs available. Their best feature is that they absorbed most of Viz's Neon Alley catalog.

I'd put them third behind Crunchyroll and Funimation for anime and ahead of Netflix and far ahead of Amazon and the other also rans.

Jex

That seems to be of a piece with the history of ambitious shounen heroes. Remember Luffy declaring he'd be King of the Pirates while floating around in a barrel? Naruto going on about being Hokage after literally flunking out of ninja school?

It's more of a time and place thing as well. It wasn't the right beat for that part of the script and it had precious little connection to the rest of the episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom