• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Seung all the way in the back like that :(

C4YwOABVYAA_1M2.jpg:large

Narag

Is Kemono Friends just a meme show or there's some cool in it too?

It was expected to be a meme show but it's got some heart. While not obvious in the first episode, there's this overarching sadness permeating most of the show where humans are forgotten and what's ostensibly the next dominant species lives in an idyllic innocence where they balance the remnants of their old lives and their new while mimicking human achievement.

That's not to say people aren't having fun with the idea.

ēlDLIVE Episode 4 – A Pursuer From the Past: Part 1
C4Y-gN5WIAEy9gf.jpg:small
C4Y-meOXAAA2WiE.jpg:small

I was waiting for this to be animated, also the first part of the episode when they were in the tanks. Im still shocked Chuuta is actually pervy

Gucchi looks and sounds great.

I actually like Goro's theme from the KlK soundtrack. I remember the beat kicking in for the second half of it and being like "Damn, this is pretty lit"

I should catch up on my anime backlog today but Yakuza keeps pulling me into it. I'm progressing the plot so I can open up all the side shit and then just play around but they really drip-feed this shit to you don't they.

It is a bit surreal to be walking around "Kamurocho" and "Sotenburi" and know I stayed in one and walked around the other and seeing things that look familiar. Some of that shit I definitely walked past or was inside; specifically the Don Quijote in Kamurocho I know exactly where it is because I walked by it every day past my hotel. Some other places have obvious influences, like the whole small bar area where I spent a lot of time.

Kinda neat.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 (Subtitled) Episode 35 – Final Duel Yugi vs Pegasus

The kaiba corp part felt so odd to add on here. Could have had more dueling time.

At least Bakura is finally getting in play. I cant wait for the full Yami Bakura to happen. Best.

Clov

While not entirely anime related, my fiance and I saw The Red Turtle last night. We really enjoyed it! I was impressed by how much they were able to do without any dialogue. Good pacing too; I didn't feel as though it ever overstayed its welcome. I'd definitely give it a watch if you're able to catch a screening!

phaze

Fafner Exodus 03-04

I can't say I feel this, yet another expansion of the cast, seems very warranted at this point. That's 6 more characters to try a give a shit about when I don't even remember the names of the 2nd generation/movie additions.

Fafner Exodus 03-04

I can't say I feel this, yet another expansion of the cast, seems very warranted at this point. That's 6 more characters to try a give a shit about when I don't even remember the names of the 2nd generation/movie additions.

Angela always does great songs for Fafner. Though I prefer Dead or Alive over Exist.

jett

D-Member
Been watching GARO THE ANIMATION as per duckroll's recommendation. It's aight, just a few episodes in, hasn't really grabbed me yet.

And some My Hero Academia. Standard shonen stuff, I feel like I've already watched this. But still enojyable.

Been watching GARO THE ANIMATION as per duckroll's recommendation. It's aight, just a few episodes in, hasn't really grabbed me yet.

And some My Hero Academia. Standard shonen stuff, I feel like I've already watched this. But still enojyable.

Garo imo has a really meh first part and doesn't really get good until the halfway point. But once you get there it's good.

Also MHA is the best! Glad you like it! How are you liking All Might?

Kenstar

Rakugo S2 - 06

Great episode, as usual. I don't think I really understood Yotaro's Rakugo's punch line at the end with the "it's because you're such a pro". Maybe I didn't pay enough attention but if someone can enlighten me that would be appreciated.

the very last line is danna no atama ga gomashio desu kara
'because master's head is grey'

maybe there's a pun I'm missing from a previous line or something but on the surface level it seems because he's an old man (a pro at this)

Anti-smoking PSA? Did Tensai Okamura direct that episode?

I didn't even recognize the name but I knew he did that Zvezda anti smoking ep as soon as you said that

Ushio and Tora 22-23

The show is still going strong. That Hakumen no mono avatar looked terrifying! that smile...Holy snap! But the most intimidating part of those Hakumen being as to be the eyes. Hopefully Kirio comes back as a cool character later on.

duckroll

Expect about 10 episodes of slow burn dark fantasy Twilight Zone episodes which range from fun to weird to plain dumb. But they're not for nothing because it builds up the world and characters to prepare for big shit that happens later. :)

Clov

I got Funimation's releases of Innocence and Nichijou a few days ago. I haven't had time to rewatch Innocence yet, so that's something I'll have to look forward to.

I watched a few episodes of Nichijou on the set, and I'm pretty impressed overall. The video quality is surprisingly good for a Funimation release; I was worried since some discs have as many as ten episodes on one BD, but not including an English dub track must have allowed them to save some bitrate. The show is really bright, and the colors really stand out on the BD. My only complaint is that some banding is present in darker scenes; you can see it quite clearly in the first opening when the girl fires her gun, and I also noticed it during a close-up of Nano's hair in episode 6. It's nothing too bad though, and I'm pretty happy with the set overall.

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On Episode 14 (engdub)
C4Z1dswWAAErhdw.jpg:small

Wow powerful epsiode

so much loss all around in this anime, first Cheval mom now Leolaeus, Im surprised Lute didnt break down in tears upon hugging Cheval.

As others have hinted at, the quality of the earlier episodic stories is variable, but the series really shows its muscle when the buildup to the mid-series climax kicks in and the long-term character arcs begin paying off. It's a very satisfying show overall.

I got Funimation's releases of Innocence and Nichijou a few days ago. I haven't had time to rewatch Innocence yet, so that's something I'll have to look forward to.

I watched a few episodes of Nichijou on the set, and I'm pretty impressed overall. The video quality is surprisingly good for a Funimation release; I was worried since some discs have as many as ten episodes on one BD, but not including an English dub track must have allowed them to save some bitrate. The show is really bright, and the colors really stand out on the BD. My only complaint is that some banding is present in darker scenes; you can see it quite clearly in the first opening when the girl fires her gun, and I also noticed it during a close-up of Nano's hair in episode 6. It's nothing too bad though, and I'm pretty happy with the set overall.

Oh yeah, Nichijou is out. I need to buy this.

Thud

All Out 18

Gion finally pulling his weight. Sweep the field good boy.

That's my favorite episode of the entire show. It's on a whole other level.

Do you have an idea who directed the episode? There are some quality moments hidden in gintama, but this is the first episode to have quality consistently.

Do you have an idea who directed the episode? There are some quality moments hidden in gintama, but this is the first episode to have quality consistently.

I looked this up back when I watched it, because I was also struck by how creative and striking the direction of this episode was, but it's no one special. 180 was storyboarded and directed by Yasuhiro Minami, who's a regular on Gintama up to the present day and has no other notable work to his name. Why this episode in particular is so well done is a real mystery.

KraytarJ

Monster Girls 6
A pretty pedestrian episode for me. Probably hurt by the fact that I've been watching K-ON! recently and Yui and Ui are more entertaining as individuals and as sisters than Himari and Hikari. Still not really a fan of there being an emphasis placed on pointing out, several times in each episode, that the demi girls have crushes on Takahashi.

zulux21

MAL almost always love Key shows.....that should say enough.
they like second seasons of key shows, little busters was not loved (though since it's original airing it has recovered some) nor was Rewrite.

MAL likes it now, but at the start of the season it was a 6.

But I knew.

I could smell it.

I knew it would be fantastic.

I kept the faith and I am rewarded.

scums wish has always been rated well on MAL right after it's release it was an 8.12 as it was my wife's third pick of the season thus I have been tracking it :p

Thud

I looked this up back when I watched it, because I was also struck by how creative and striking the direction of this episode was, but it's no one special. 180 was storyboarded and directed by Yasuhiro Minami, who's a regular on Gintama up to the present day and has no other notable work to his name. Why this episode in particular is so well done is a real mystery.

Weird.

It's not like I watch Gintama for that. Episode 180 is just a nice surprise.

Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 16

They played one of my favorite overworld themes during the ending scene, song is so good.

Changing the plot has made this interesting and a bit more heartfelt at times. Though Rose is more dark and into her revenge emotions than I assumed she was.

JulianImp

that's the one thank you. I think I remember a scene he fights against a lolicon and they both turn into DBZ characters lmao. Been meaning to watch this since I saw back in... early college?

That reminds me I watched that Arakawa episode were Stella goes super macho mode... Now that was funny.

Arakawa's still fun as a bunch of skits with a simple plot that links them together, but it sadly doesn't look like it's actually going to get more interesting than that.

Sterok

Youjo Senki 6

Tanya's enemies need some named mages, because right now know one can keep up with her. Being X needs to give everyone else something, otherwise she's just going to keep using everyone for target practice. Or maybe the plan is to kill her via smoke. Not the most glorious way to go out.

EscaFlowne Episode 6 engdub

Will someone please reign in Dilandau, second or third time he's targeted Van and its getting annoying. Why cant he just leave him alone. So glad hitomi is able to keep saving the prince.

Blue Exorcist Impure king arc 6

The beast as been released!
0ce8cd1c66e5ccb7cd41efdac13dca7b.jpg
74b2f536949eeeebb93057dc04e4785c.jpg

The combination of the flashback plus the awakening of the Impure king made for some awesome events in this episode. Master Tatstuma showed use how badass he is and he had better be powerful with that damn oath
forcing him to lie like that
, but I just hate the way he
gets *killed*

Those last few words hit strong, will our boy Rin answer is request?

I'm now 100% Blue Exorcist as the best OP this season and easily one of the best ED.

Sangatsu - 17

I really like this show now. I feel like I say this every week, but I urge those who dropped the show early on to give it another try. This is one of those in which you need to get past the first few episodes in order to get to the good part. Episodes 2-7 or 8 have huge inconsistencies and a plot that goes nowhere, but goddamn if now this isn't a very compelling anime.

3gatsu 17

tumblr_ohmw8dzVcW1r8sx5zo3_1280.jpg
LOL.

Kobayashi Maidragon #4

This was adapted really well. They're really upping the cuteness on Kanna, aren't they? Everything about the shopping and sorting was fun and cute, just a very warm and nice feeling watching Kobayashi be willing to sacrifice a bit and allow Kanna her flights of fancy to show she cares about her. Pretty funny moments with the protractors and yardsticks and a very nice movement of realization from Kanna when she sees Kobayashi hesitating but going ahead with the checkout of the backpack because of how much it was, putting back the keychain, and then holding her hand on the way back home as she realized how much Kobayashi spent on her and what it meant.

Then we get Kanna actually going to school wherein we see Tohru not understand why she's going and assigning more grounded or cynical motives to what the kids are doing. We get forehead girl introduced and Kanna manipulates her to not stand out, which Tohru calls her out on, and then get a subdued moment where Kanna says that she wants to get along with people and Tohru mentions that most all of the dragons she knows who did that ended up betrayed and dead. Tohru is looking out for Kanna in her own detached way and obviously doesn't want to see her get hurt but won't come out straight and say it because Kobayashi is the only one she seems to be able to honestly say her feelings to (and even that is suspect as much of it is subsumed under a guise of lust/boisterous love, which is to say her love is real, but is often played for laughs or purposefully loud and flamboyant so that things do not get "too real"). The shots work particularly well here as they are very simple and close, allowing the animation work (and often the lack of it, such as Tohru's very neutral face) to convey their emotions much stronger.

I think that scene, or rather the whole arc, explains why I like Maidragon so much. It has it's cute SoL elements, spiced up with supernatural or fantastical for humor, but the characters themselves have some other things bubbling beneath the surface and they aren't simple "archetype" vehicles for gags or scenes to play out; as in it seems natural that Kanna acts the way she does, that Tohru acts the way she does and as a result the warm scenes or the deeper scenes occur naturally. SoL with meatier characters and at least a bit of a underground current that is ridden over the course of the show is really what gets my goat.

The last part was of course great, because that dodgeball game was funny as hell and a delight to watch. I love Kanna knowing exactly what to say to Saikawa to cut off her tsundere act, even if most of the time it's just Kanna being honest, and Saikawa instigating the older boys into playing dodgeball was great. As always, Lucoa is the best and I cannot get over how much I love what they decided to do with her eyes because it's so striking and gives her an incredibly dangerous hint to her character without having her do anything that would indicate that to this point. I actually kinda like Fafnir in the anime better than the manga because the VA really does a good job bringing out how silly he is if you really pay attention to him.

On to the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom